AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

I have not installed yet but it can be from 12 feet to 18 feet

Throw distance does not have anything to do with mounting height. Need to know the height of your screen and aspect ratio. Provide that and we can tell you your mounting options.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anybody interested in this projector, we have some open box specials. Give us a call. smile.gif

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #1173 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

The Sony has 20000:1 native, which is very close to what the JVCs have natively. Once you close down the iris on both machines it becomes a different story but then again that isn't native contrast. From what I've read the black level's on the Sony with the DI engaged are actually darker than the JVCs.

My understanding is that the adjustment of a fixed iris is still considered "native". It is simply part of the light path like the lenses and other optical elements. Any aperture at all is, in fact, an iris. And there must be an aperture. It's just a matter of size. Adding a dynamic iris takes you from "native" to "dynamic" contrast.

If this were not the case, then adjusting the zoom of a lens to a longer throw would result in a non-native contrast, as it also increases the contrast. But this is not the case.
post #1174 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
That is correct, but with one distinction.
(I actually think Seegs already knew this, maybe he was just having an OFF-MOMENT, because I know Seegs has seen numerous photos and specs of IRIS's)

Not all IRIS's increase Native On/Off, it depends if they are light dampening only outside the primary light path, or if they are light reducing before the scatter. Basically, there are different places those IRIS's are located and that determines their function.

The JVC IRIS decreases scatter and increases contrast, but if I adjust my Benq w7000 IRIS down to a fixed position, it doesn't increase native on/off like a JVC IRIS. Whether or not an IRIS increases native specifically depends on these factors, I believe (pretty sure) no LCD can have an IRIS increase native on/off even if it is fixed, but a DLP and LCOS can. However, newer DLP's don't have as good of IRIS's as the older 0.95" DLP's that Seegs was used to.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #1175 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Not all IRIS's increase Native On/Off, it depends if they are light dampening only outside the primary light path, or if they are light reducing before the scatter. Basically, there are different places those IRIS's are located and that determines their function.

Interesting distinction. Hadn't thought of that.
post #1176 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Throw distance does not have anything to do with mounting height. Need to know the height of your screen and aspect ratio. Provide that and we can tell you your mounting options.

My screen will be 2:35:1

screen height is about 40"
post #1177 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

My screen will be 2:35:1

screen height is about 40"

Then you better not mount the lens 14" above the image. 12" is the max available and that is assuming that you are not using any horizontal lens shift. Use of horizontal reduces the amount of vertical available. While 12" will work, I would try to place the center of the lens no more than 6" above your image if possible.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #1178 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Then you better not mount the lens 14" above the image. 12" is the max available and that is assuming that you are not using any horizontal lens shift. Use of horizontal reduces the amount of vertical available. While 12" will work, I would try to place the center of the lens no more than 6" above your image if possible.

we are talking about the jvc4810 being inverted correct? Can the jvc4810 be placed on its feet 6 inches above image to get the same location of image?

post #1179 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have been going back and forth between purchasing the 4810 and Sony HW50ES. I have been obsessing a bit on the decision and now leaning back towards the 4810.

In reading about the fan noise in high mode, how much of an issue has it been?
The projector would be about 2 1/2 feet above our heads.
I am not sure until making the purchase but probably will be running it in high mode.
post #1180 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post

I have been going back and forth between purchasing the 4810 and Sony HW50ES. I have been obsessing a bit on the decision and now leaning back towards the 4810.

I am not sure until making the purchase but probably will be running it in high mode.

you and me both. Weighing options.

I am also interested in high mode fan db. my current projector runs at 35db. if the jvc4810 runs at 29db and under in high mode that would be great.

post #1181 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Does anyone use their 4810 at max zoom? Is there any degrading of the picture quality with the unit at full zoom?
post #1182 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isantus View Post

Does anyone use their 4810 at max zoom? Is there any degrading of the picture quality with the unit at full zoom?

There are differing opinions on what "max" zoom means... one is the intuitive definition and one is the technically correct definition, so I don't know what you mean by "max zoom". It's best to say "max throw" for furthest from the screen or "min throw" for closest to the screen.

The other issue is what you think degrades a picture more, less contrast or less brightness. At max throw you get the most contrast and the least brightness. Conversely, at min throw you get the brightest picture but the least contrast. So it's a choice depending on what's important to you.
post #1183 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

There will be a little on almost any projector, but the JVC has some of the least visible degradation of any projector from closest throw as far as contrast loss, because it starts out with such high contrast and it doesn't lose as much as you place it closer like some projectors do.

If you can move it back some, I recommend placing it a bit farther back, but if not it will still give you the dark contrast attributes of a JVC.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #1184 of 1856 Old 06-11-2013, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the help. I have been projecting onto a wall for last few months and am about to pick up a screen. It is currently projecting on a 128" 16:9 screen and I will be moving it to a 2.35 133" screen from about 15 feet back. I have zoomed in to "minimum throw" and see that I am able to support that size screen but was curious if I would notice a loss of quality in the picture. Brightness has been fine for me as I am running low lamp and move between -8 and -15 and lens aperture. Of course I want to improve contrast and am still experimenting with the gamma and the settings. Once I get a screen up I will have it calibrated. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion.
post #1185 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Thanks for the help. I have been projecting onto a wall for last few months and am about to pick up a screen. It is currently projecting on a 128" 16:9 screen and I will be moving it to a 2.35 133" screen from about 15 feet back. I have zoomed in to "minimum throw" and see that I am able to support that size screen but was curious if I would notice a loss of quality in the picture. Brightness has been fine for me as I am running low lamp and move between -8 and -15 and lens aperture. Of course I want to improve contrast and am still experimenting with the gamma and the settings. Once I get a screen up I will have it calibrated. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion.

My opinion is to get a 120" fixed 16:9 screen and a 133" motorized 2.35:1 screen, and have the best of both worlds - whether you use a lens or just use your power zoom! smile.gif

If anyone has been on the fence thinking about getting an RS4810 - the time to call Mike or myself is now. You'll be glad you did !! cool.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1186 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

My opinion is to get a 120" fixed 16:9 screen and a 133" motorized 2.35:1 screen, and have the best of both worlds - whether you use a lens or just use your power zoom! smile.gif

If anyone has been on the fence thinking about getting an RS4810 - the time to call Mike or myself is now. You'll be glad you did !! cool.gif

I would love to set up a dual screen system but I tend to watch movies much more than anything else. A 2.35 screen seems the best option for me and I want to make sure that I get a good screen. Maybe in the future if I can I will pick up a second screen.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
post #1187 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
I watch 80% movies / 20% HDTV. And strangely enough, 50% of the movies I buy on Blu Ray are 16:9 format !

post #1188 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Anyone have their 4810 at max zoom? Any concerns about PQ with max zoom?

I have mine at max zoom to fill my 148" screen from 16' & the picture looks amazing. I see no problems at all with it so far. smile.gif

post #1189 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post

Mine is set up the same way without any problems. In fact I've not needed to use it in the high mode at all even though I did play around with it. Maybe needed if you like 3D which I don't.

Quote:

I watch 80% movies / 20% HDTV. And strangely enough, 50% of the movies I buy on Blu Ray are 16:9 format !

Really? Most everything I buy is in the scope format. I watch 100% movies on mine & 90% are in 2.35:1 so I love my 148" scope screen for that reason! biggrin.gif

post #1190 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Is anyone here using a SeymourAV accoustically transparent screen with their RS4810/X55?

post #1191 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cutter View Post

I have mine at max zoom to fill my 148" screen from 16' & the picture looks amazing. I see no problems at all with it so far. smile.gif

That is what I like to hear!!! Thanks!
post #1192 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:

You are going to make my decision even harder!

I have been going back and forth between 2.35 and 16:9. I had finally made my decision based on the fact that if I get a large enough 2.35 screen it wont look much smaller than my current size at 16:9 (painted wall). Not to mention I watched 98% movies. I went through the majority of my movies and I would say it is above 75% 2.35 content, particularly my favorites. However I get concerned that the mainstream companies know that most people are watching on 16:9 TVs and so they are just going to start filming everything in that ratio. This has been a harder decision than the actual projector. rolleyes.gif
post #1193 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Is anyone here using a SeymourAV accoustically transparent screen with their RS4810/X55?

I plan to be in a few weeks! Placing orders for screen & PJ asap...
post #1194 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Really? Most everything I buy is in the scope format. I watch 100% movies on mine & 90% are in 2.35:1 so I love my 148" scope screen for that reason!

Not to get too off subject, but here are 5 movies I love, in 1.85:1, that came out recently - Hugo, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, Incendies, Moonrise Kingdom.

Having power zoom and focus makes which screen format to use a moot point, if you have both types of screens like I do. Another plus for the RS4810 !! smile.gif

post #1195 of 1856 Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Yep, I run a 153" Seymour XD screen with my X-55 mounted just over 15 feet back. What kinda' info are you looking for?
post #1196 of 1856 Old 06-13-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Yep, I run a 153" Seymour XD screen with my X-55 mounted just over 15 feet back. What kinda' info are you looking for?

Is that 16:9 or 2.35:1? I have a pretty small room so I'm not going quite that large. However, I am going with the biggest screen I can fit on the wall which will be 130" wide in 2.35:1. Just curious how the image looks and if you have any problems seeing behind the screen or reflections off of speakers, etc. What is your seating distance? My room is about 12'2" wide x 16' long and I'm mounting the projector in the closet at the rear of the room to gain another foot or so of throw. I'm having to build a false wall of sorts not only for the screen but to hold the in wall speakers I'm going to use. I'm going to have two rows of four real connected theater seats to save space. I think my rear row will be about 14' away from the screen while the front row will be probably 10' away. Can you see the weave of the screen? I'm thinking of going with the economy frame to save some money but still get the rubber band mounting system and screen material.

post #1197 of 1856 Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like you've got a great plan dropzone7, you're gonna have a killer room when done.

Unfortunately my screen is 16x9 so that would be around 133" wide for a 2.35:1 screen so very similar to your desired screen size (I still regret not getting a 2.35:1 screen). I sit 14-15 feet back from my screen. If I were to build another screen, I'd keep the 75" image height, which I find just a little bit better than perfect, and go 176" wide. I would need a Sim2 projector or something similar, a projector that is capable of lighting up the monster screen......dreams!

The JVC will have no issue in a light controlled room, lighting up the screen size you want. But having your first row 10' away??? that might be pushing the weave. the 14' row will have absolutely no issue but that first row is right in the area where most first start seeing the weave. When you do start noticing the weave it's usually in bright scenes like a daytime sky shot or bright wall shot. I can't double check the 10' distance right now cause my basement got flooded by a burst pipe and my room is torn apart right now and I'm in the middle of reconstruction. I won't have the room done for a few more weeks. I'll recheck once the room is done.

I built a false wall as well and my space behind the screen is approximately 3'x14'. My speakers are pushed up within a few inches of the screen and I used velvet tape to cover the silver product plate and see no reflections from anything behind my screen. I also used the black velvet tape to cover any of my screws and nail heads. Might be overkill but I didn't want any reflections shining back on the screen. I use burgundy black-out curtains as a back drop and painted everything else flat black. It's a dark space back there . The image quality from the X-55 and the XD combo looks fantastic and would buy another Seymour screen in a heart beat.

My only suggestion would be to pull your first row back if you can or use the first row for guests and use the second row as your primary seating. Are you measuring your seating from the back or front? I measure from the back where my head will be.
post #1198 of 1856 Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Sounds like you've got a great plan dropzone7, you're gonna have a killer room when done.

Unfortunately my screen is 16x9 so that would be around 133" wide for a 2.35:1 screen so very similar to your desired screen size (I still regret not getting a 2.35:1 screen). I sit 14-15 feet back from my screen. If I were to build another screen, I'd keep the 75" image height, which I find just a little bit better than perfect, and go 176" wide. I would need a Sim2 projector or something similar, a projector that is capable of lighting up the monster screen......dreams!

The JVC will have no issue in a light controlled room, lighting up the screen size you want. But having your first row 10' away??? that might be pushing the weave. the 14' row will have absolutely no issue but that first row is right in the area where most first start seeing the weave. When you do start noticing the weave it's usually in bright scenes like a daytime sky shot or bright wall shot. I can't double check the 10' distance right now cause my basement got flooded by a burst pipe and my room is torn apart right now and I'm in the middle of reconstruction. I won't have the room done for a few more weeks. I'll recheck once the room is done.

I built a false wall as well and my space behind the screen is approximately 3'x14'. My speakers are pushed up within a few inches of the screen and I used velvet tape to cover the silver product plate and see no reflections from anything behind my screen. I also used the black velvet tape to cover any of my screws and nail heads. Might be overkill but I didn't want any reflections shining back on the screen. I use burgundy black-out curtains as a back drop and painted everything else flat black. It's a dark space back there . The image quality from the X-55 and the XD combo looks fantastic and would buy another Seymour screen in a heart beat.

My only suggestion would be to pull your first row back if you can or use the first row for guests and use the second row as your primary seating. Are you measuring your seating from the back or front? I measure from the back where my head will be.

Crabalocker,

How do you feel the XD weave visibility is at 11.5 to 12 foot viewing distance? confused.gif

I would like to do a 120" wide 2.37:1 screen which equates to a 104" diagonal 16:9. I will be mating the screen with a JVC RS46 and Panamorph UH480 lens.

I really would like to do a Seymour AV / Screen Excellence 4k screen but the price really is a bit steep for me! eek.gif

Thanks!

...Glenn smile.gif
post #1199 of 1856 Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Crabalocker,

How do you feel the XD weave visibility is at 11.5 to 12 foot viewing distance? confused.gif

I would like to do a 120" wide 2.37:1 screen which equates to a 104" diagonal 16:9. I will be mating the screen with a JVC RS46 and Panamorph UH480 lens.

I really would like to do a Seymour AV / Screen Excellence 4k screen but the price really is a bit steep for me! eek.gif

Thanks!

...Glenn smile.gif

I'm pretty sure at around 12' you'd be Ok...but just a guess at this point as I can't check right now because of my reconstruction. And like I said above, when you first start noticing the weave it's usually in just the brightest scenes. Some might mistake it as film grain. I'll recheck once my room is back up and running.
post #1200 of 1856 Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I been in talk with Jamestown and they have the Center Stage XD material. They use their frames with masking panels for extremely cheap. I been looking at a 12ft wide cinemascope screen with masking panels for less than $1000. The 16:9 will be 125in diagonally, so both are good sizes for me. The Jamestown deal is so much less than the Enlightor 4K, but I'm still debating. Some say they can see the weave at 12ft, so I'm going to get a sample soon just to see. I want to sit 1SW away. Masking systems are so much and I'm done trying to make my own panels, I never seen to get them right.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page