Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1441 of 1866 Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Also, after reviewing the room at length, tonight, I realize that I am really pushing the envelope, for this specific room in considering a 133 inch screen. The room is 18 x15, and in trying to make a screen that size fit, I am getting quite close to the very large, front speakers too (the speakers are over 5 feet high, and 15 inches wide). Much as I would love the visual impact of a screen that size, It probably makes much more sense to default to the High Power in the next size down, 119 inches. Hopefully that will still at least provide some degree of noticeable visual boost over my current 110.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1866 Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

that's the ideal setup for the HP screen. are you considering a pull down or a frame?

I would like to go with a fixed screen/frame. The Perm Wall model was recommended to me, for the money, as my best option. Although I will admit I haven't really ever considered a pull down, assuming they would have issues as compared to a fixed screen model.

John
post #1443 of 1866 Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Looked at things again tonight, and think I just might be able to squeeze in the 133 inch screen, and I want to, if at all possible. Also, it has been noted that doing so will maximize the effect of EShift2. Zombie, you have a huge screen in similar space, your comments?

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

Also, after reviewing the room at length, tonight, I realize that I am really pushing the envelope, for this specific room in considering a 133 inch screen. The room is 18 x15, and in trying to make a screen that size fit, I am getting quite close to the very large, front speakers too (the speakers are over 5 feet high, and 15 inches wide). Much as I would love the visual impact of a screen that size, It probably makes much more sense to default to the High Power in the next size down, 119 inches. Hopefully that will still at least provide some degree of noticeable visual boost over my current 110.

John
post #1444 of 1866 Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
with the HP, I would go as big as you can. My 142" 16:9 is as large as possible for the wall I have it on, it's nearly floor to ceiling with just enough room below for the center channel.
post #1445 of 1866 Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
The general rule of thumb is no larger than 80% of your room/wall width, keep it atleast 3-4 feet from the floor and no more than 12" from the ceiling.
post #1446 of 1866 Old 08-24-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 151
How high you place the screen depends on your seating distance and the angle you sit at. The farther back you sit, the higher you can place the screen without it ruining your viewing angle. However, in many people's setups in their "short" HT rooms, 3-4 feet from the floor is too high, you generally want the middle of the screen as close to eye level as possible (after accounting for sitting angle).

This generally means 2 feet above the floor being optimal for many people (you can go even lower, but it may seem awkward), some like it much higher as a personal preference but that's not optimal. A higher screen may look cooler in the room, but it's not as easy to watch. Keep in mind that in a real movie theater the seating is raised up for every row back, and if you sit in the middle of the theater, you are looking slightly down or maybe directly at it, but not up at a steep angle. If you sit in the front row then you are looking up to see the center of the screen, which is less preferable. The closer you sit, the lower the screen to the floor the better, because you have too much of a steep viewing angle otherwise.

I think installing as big of a screen as fits in the room is fine, don't really care how close to the ceiling or walls it is as long as the walls and ceiling are dark.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1447 of 1866 Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

How high you place the screen depends on your seating distance and the angle you sit at. The farther back you sit, the higher you can place the screen without it ruining your viewing angle. ....

I saw a recommendation (THX I think) that the top of the screen be no more than a 15 degree angle up.
post #1448 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone give me some Eshift\Darbee settings to play with? Thanks
post #1449 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 128
All of them... smile.gif

Joking, I use

Film 20,20,20
HD 35 - 40
post #1450 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYHOMETHEATER View Post

Can someone give me some Eshift\Darbee settings to play with? Thanks
I'm using Film 50/50/50 + Darbee @ HD 35% on a 138" diagonal 2.35 screen. I sit about 12.5' from the screen.
post #1451 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Does the Darby really help the image that much? With eShift engaged I would think there is too much processing going on but there must be something to it since so many of you guys swear by it. I don't even have a real screen yet but the little bit of viewing I have done is with eShift on Film mode, levels at 50. I guess I will look into a Darby once I get a screen.
post #1452 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Does the Darby really help the image that much? With eShift engaged I would think there is too much processing going on but there must be something to it since so many of you guys swear by it. I don't even have a real screen yet but the little bit of viewing I have done is with eShift on Film mode, levels at 50. I guess I will look into a Darby once I get a screen.

It's even better with e-shift. But you're on the right track... get a real screen first!
post #1453 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

It's even better with e-shift. But you're on the right track... get a real screen first!

I'm trying! Had to buy a new car last week. Wife totalled her's.frown.gif It's always something.
post #1454 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I'm trying! Had to buy a new car last week. Wife totalled her's.frown.gif It's always something.

Wow... just be glad you don't have to find a new wife!
post #1455 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Wow... just be glad you don't have to find a new wife!

True! I'm done in that department.
post #1456 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
On the upside, this becomes a possible statement you can make...

"Honey, remember how much we spent on your new car after you totaled it? I'm only asking for half that much for home theater upgrades that we can both enjoy."

Glad your wife is ok. Cars can be replaced.

post #1457 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

On the upside, this becomes a possible statement you can make...

"Honey, remember how much we spent on your new car after you totaled it? I'm only asking for half that much for home theater upgrades that we can both enjoy."

Glad your wife is ok. Cars can be replaced.

Oh yes, we have already had that conversation. She doesn't mind me spending money on toys but the math doesn't lie. It aint happening this month or the next.

Thanks, I agree. Accidents happen and she was very lucky.
post #1458 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I'm giving the 133 inch DaLite High Power screen serious consideration. I am sitting 14 feet from the screen, and my projector lens would be just about 15.5 feet from the screen. Anyone else agree that the 4810 can handle this size screen without any concern?

John

I have a RS40 with 900 hours on lamp and bought a used 2.8 HP 133" 2.35 screen about 6-8 weeks ago and the brightness was great but the used screen had scratches that I couldn't live with so I had to return it. That size screen should be fine with the 2.4 HP material.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #1459 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I'm using Film 50/50/50 + Darbee @ HD 35% on a 138" diagonal 2.35 screen. I sit about 12.5' from the screen.

Those settings are very close to mine. I'm also using Film 50/50/50, but the Darbee is set to HD 50% on a 110" diagonal 16x9 screen, 1.3 gain. I sit about 8.5 feet. Normally that would be considered "too close", and until we got the 4810 "SD" material was almost unbearable. The eShift2 plus Darbee has so increased the perceived pixel density that I'm pulling out old SD DVD's and enjoying the heck out of them. At this time, nothing tops the look and sound of a good Blu-Ray transfer, but not all transfer's are equal. This is where the 4810, eShift2 and the Darbee come to the rescue. I, too, was somewhat skeptical, but what we are seeing on the screen is proof. This stuff works!

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #1460 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm giving the 133 inch DaLite High Power screen serious consideration. I am sitting 14 feet from the screen, and my projector lens would be just about 15.5 feet from the screen. Anyone else agree that the 4810 can handle this size screen without any concern?

John

John, I should throw up a red flag warning about the Da-Lite screen's. When new, they throw off a chemical smell ("off gassing") than can be pretty hard to bear. I've used them to experiment with screen sizes because they are inexpensive and I can donate them to local organizations after using them. I've purchased 4 different models of Da-Lite screens (the first one I actually returned because of the off gassing.) This was over a 6 year period ending last year. After my 2nd Da-Lite I learned to open them up in the garage and let them hang there for a month (with plenty of cross ventilation), before mounting it in the closed confines of an HT room. Screen's from other manufacturer's can also emit odors when unrolled for the first time, but nothing like what I've experienced with Da-Lite. By comparison, I've owned a Stewart Firehawk and my current Vutec with zero odors at any time.

Note: I'm not one of those chemically sensitive people who freak out at the slightest smell. It surprises me few people write about the serious drawback with Da-Lite. However, if you'll check the "screens" segment of this forum, you'll find posts about the smell.

One other comment worth your consideration: you are more likely to change your projector multiple times before you change your screen. It is just as important a decision (investment, if you will), as a projector. The two work together. A great projector and a crappy screen means you are not getting the image quality you should be getting. I went through 4 projectors over a 10 year period, all looking great on my old Stewart Firehawk.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #1461 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

John,

Thanks for the red flag, this is the first I had ever heard of a chemical smell issue with the Da-Lite screens. I also understand what you are saying about the importance of a screen, and the fact that it is an important investment. However, my specific situation creates some real limitations in this regard. My position at work is being eliminated at the end of the year due to outsourcing, and I am only still employed due to an extended transition period. Having to replace my RS10 due to the Magenta Stripe issue was already an unexpected financial setback, given the circumstances. A major investment for a new screen simply isn't a financial commitment I can make. I have a pending sale to a friend on a piece of audio gear, and that provide just enough funding to cover the cost of a 133 in. DaLite High Power Perm Wall screen. It's either spend that amount on a new screen, or continue to live with my old DIY screen, unfortunately.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

John, I should throw up a red flag warning about the Da-Lite screen's. When new, they throw off a chemical smell ("off gassing") than can be pretty hard to bear. I've used them to experiment with screen sizes because they are inexpensive and I can donate them to local organizations after using them. I've purchased 4 different models of Da-Lite screens (the first one I actually returned because of the off gassing.) This was over a 6 year period ending last year. After my 2nd Da-Lite I learned to open them up in the garage and let them hang there for a month (with plenty of cross ventilation), before mounting it in the closed confines of an HT room. Screen's from other manufacturer's can also emit odors when unrolled for the first time, but nothing like what I've experienced with Da-Lite. By comparison, I've owned a Stewart Firehawk and my current Vutec with zero odors at any time.

Note: I'm not one of those chemically sensitive people who freak out at the slightest smell. It surprises me few people write about the serious drawback with Da-Lite. However, if you'll check the "screens" segment of this forum, you'll find posts about the smell.

One other comment worth your consideration: you are more likely to change your projector multiple times before you change your screen. It is just as important a decision (investment, if you will), as a projector. The two work together. A great projector and a crappy screen means you are not getting the image quality you should be getting. I went through 4 projectors over a 10 year period, all looking great on my old Stewart Firehawk.
post #1462 of 1866 Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

John, I should throw up a red flag warning about the Da-Lite screen's. When new, they throw off a chemical smell ("off gassing") than can be pretty hard to bear.

I don't remember a chemical smell with my Da-Lite Manual B Pulldown, 2.4 gain 106" High Power screen, but maybe different setups have different smells. I remember a new car smell kind of, but I've had that screen for years so hard to recall anyhow.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #1463 of 1866 Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

I don't remember a chemical smell with my Da-Lite Manual B Pulldown, 2.4 gain 106" High Power screen, but maybe different setups have different smells. I remember a new car smell kind of, but I've had that screen for years so hard to recall anyhow.

I had two 133" HP's in my dedicated, sealed room in a 2 month period and nothing unusual or overpowering. Could be specific shipment or type of screen had more smell to it.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1464 of 1866 Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

I had two 133" HP's in my dedicated, sealed room in a 2 month period and nothing unusual or overpowering. Could be specific shipment or type of screen had more smell to it.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1465 of 1866 Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I didn't have any unusual smell with my 133" high power when it was new either. ..

Robert Clark
post #1466 of 1866 Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I didn't have any unusually bad smell with my 133" high power when it was new either. ..

Robert Clark
post #1467 of 1866 Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys. Based on your comments, I'm not going to worry about odor issues. No one with a High Power model has specifically mentioned a problem with that, to my knowledge.

John
post #1468 of 1866 Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 333
All new screens I've had ( Da Lite and Stewart ) have that " new screen smell ". Its the smell of money well spent on a theater upgrade. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1469 of 1866 Old 09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Just FYI, there appear to still be additional JVC RS4810 projectors available, with a special bonus thrown in. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1470 of 1866 Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Just FYI, there appear to still be additional JVC RS4810 projectors available, with a special bonus thrown in. smile.gif
Details?

I'm assuming that the bonus is a candlelit dinner with David Bott.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page