Best of luck to Mark in FL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-22-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I hope Mark Haflich continues to share his perspective on all things A/V here at AVS. He's moving to FL and a fine new house when he has found the right one. Hopefully it's locked in already. Best wishes for the next phase of his life. Somehow I don't see him done professionally with the audio visual world. I have thoroughly enjoyed his posts and well intentioned irreverance with his "takes". He had the balls to give them to us honestly even when it risked flack brought onto himself for doing so. "Head of Sales" but he always was one of us. Catch Mark on the phone and you could count on an entertaining 20 minutes of conversation. Well unless another call rang through and someone else needed to talk to him about a purchase or what they were considering to purchase and wanting his valuable opinion. Fabulous sense of humor....will miss him in everday dealings with AVS but hopefully not on line here talking about the latest and greatest with the rest of us. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Liked: 10
I know Mark has been looking to move to Florida but I hadn't heard anything about him retiring from AVS. Hope all is well Mark.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Mark tells it like it is and that is what I admired him for.
post #4 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

I know Mark has been looking to move to Florida but I hadn't heard anything about him retiring from AVS. Hope all is well Mark.

I did see him post that people should contact one of the other AVS guys as he is no longer working as a salesman. Can't find it right now, but might have been in one of the 'new projector' threads. I've always liked Mark's posts as he seems able to add a sense of humour to even the most heated of discussions. All the best wishes to Mark, but I hope he keeps posting too.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #5 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Those of us that have longer memories are shocked that Mark was ever in a position to have worked at AVS in the first place. Ah, the memories. I hope that Mark remains a part of this community.

If anyone has Mark's phone number please PM it to me.

Affable Nitwit
post #6 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I did see him post that people should contact one of the other AVS guys as he is no longer working as a salesman. Can't find it right now, but might have been in one of the 'new projector' threads. I've always liked Mark's posts as he seems able to add a sense of humour to even the most heated of discussions. All the best wishes to Mark, but I hope he keeps posting too.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430236/offical-jvc-dla-rs4810-owners-thread#post_22417890

There's the post. His phone number is in his signature.

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #7 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

I missed his "yada yada..." posts.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I am sure many here have had those hour conversations with him here. They were always entertaining and informative. Best of luck Mark and yes enjoy the 1000ES. You deserve to. smile.gif

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #9 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Just stumbled across this thread. Thanks to all.

I won't be moving until we sell our house here in MD and I have been very busy getting it ready to be put on the market. Moving a lot of stuff out, staging, getting the floors and driveway refinished, new carpets, windows washed, have 84 of them. Worked all weekend.

Was down in Sarasota last weekend looking at houses, found two we really liked but my wife and I decided that we really need to sell ours first and avoid a double mortgage and all the other double expenses.

We got back Sunday night about 10PM and within an hour my dog twisted her stomach (bloat) and I had to rush all 108lbs of her to the all night emergency vet facility. Within an hour of being there she was on the table for an immediate to save her life operation. The operation went fine, because we acted quickly and the facility has board certified vets and surgeons plus first class equipment and facilities. The intensive care unit has one person on duty for every two dogs. She is recovering nicely and will get an excellant prognosis if no complications over the second week of recovery occur. I was up all night during the operation, was with her in the intensive care unit for 12 hours on Monday and for another 12 hrs on Tuesday and took here home on Weds. She is doing just fine. Only cost me $6.2K.

I needed some time off from working and have already received several job offers but will await finishing getting the house ready before I take a new job. Meanwhile I have retained many of my old dealerships which include many brands or items within a brand that AV Science doesn't sell.

So things are just fine.

Alan Gouger and Mike Garret remain good friends of mine and one of the reasons I am moving to the Sarasota, Florida is to be close to where Alan lives.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #10 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I won't be moving until we sell our house here in MD and I have been very busy getting it ready to be put on the market. Moving a lot of stuff out, staging, getting the floors and driveway refinished, new carpets, windows washed, have 84 of them. Worked all weekend.
Was down in Sarasota last weekend looking at houses, found two we really liked but my wife and I decided that we really need to sell ours first and avoid a double mortgage and all the other double expenses.
We got back Sunday night about 10PM and within an hour my dog twisted her stumach (bloat) and I had to rush all 108lbs of her to the all night emergency vet facility. Within an hour of being there she was on the table for an immediate to save her life operation. The operation went fine, because we acted quickly and the facility has board certified vets and surgeons plus first class equipment and facilities. The intensive care unit has one person on duty for every two dogs. She is recovering nicely and will get an excellant prognosis if no complications over the second week of recovery occur. I was up all night during the operation, was with her in the intensive care unit for 12 hours on Monday and for another 12 hrs on Tuesday and took here home on Weds. She is doing just fine. Only cost me $6.2K.
I needed some time off from working and have already received several job offers but will await finishing getting the house ready before I take a new job. Meanwhile I have retained many of my old dealerships which include many brands or items within a brand that AV Science doesn't sell.
So things are just fine.
Alan Gouger and Mike Garret remain good friends of mine and one of the reasons I am moving to the Sarasota, Florida is to be close to where Alan lives.

Oh my gosh Mark....been there done that but worse. Our first of three male Akitas we loved and owned over roughly 30 years, this one about 95 lbs & in pretty healthy shape at his age at 9 years or so came into our bedroom around 2AM one morning in the dark and woke us with his panting. We turned the light on and one of his sides I forget now which was really distended. Got ahold of our normal vet's office only about 4 miles away and they said to bring him in right away. It was not too difficult to load him as I had an El Camino with a shell and foam pad, so was able to carry him and set on tail gate and finesse him onto the mattress. Reasonably gentle handling considering the circumstances. But he was gone by the time I got him there. That quickly. They said it was bloat. In bigger older dogs when their muscles start to not have as good tone, sometimes they make a quick wrong turning motion while getting up or something and the stomach gets in a twist. And also which we didn't know better at the time we were feeding him kibble that got some flavor when you added some water to it. But it makes for a heavy mass in there right after eating. Most vets recommend dry food of high quality and of course water on the side. So very happy your big girl pulled through, Mark and hope she's OK going forward.

What kind of dog is she and colors and how old?
post #11 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, tricolor black, white and roan or whatever legs. 8 years old, 105lb. She was able to walk to the car and barely from the car to the check in. from there things happened fast and the surgeon was there within 15 minutes. they have 5 on call.. Another bloat came in as mine was on the table and the surgeon did back to back operations. Other dog is fine too.

Sorry to hear you dog didn't make it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #12 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

We got back Sunday night about 10PM and within an hour my dog twisted her stomach (bloat) and I had to rush all 108lbs of her to the all night emergency vet facility. Within an hour of being there she was on the table for an immediate to save her life operation. The operation went fine, because we acted quickly and the facility has board certified vets and surgeons plus first class equipment and facilities. The intensive care unit has one person on duty for every two dogs. She is recovering nicely and will get an excellant prognosis if no complications over the second week of recovery occur. I was up all night during the operation, was with her in the intensive care unit for 12 hours on Monday and for another 12 hrs on Tuesday and took here home on Weds. She is doing just fine. Only cost me $6.2K.
So things are just fine.

The SW Florida AVS Forum crowd, myself included, will welcome your addition to the sunshine state. Perhaps Larry Chanin (who lives in Sarasota and is another DC area transplant, as am I) will give you a ride in the new Tesla Model S he expects to get around Xmas. As I recall doesn't Alan live futher up the coast, perhaps Bradenton?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #13 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24

I have talked to Mark recently about all his recent situation, but this is the first time I've seen this thread.

So I would just like to add my public thanks to Mark for all his enthusiasm and help over recent years.   I've bought several (expensive!) items from him through AVS, and he's always given service 'above and beyond'.     I've tremendously enjoyed visiting him and his wife Jill on several occasions, and of course enjoyed the raucous dinners he's hosted at CEDIA.    He's a unique guy, and I--along with all of you here--wish him the best in his endeavors in Florida.

post #14 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Mark,

Glad to know your dog is doing well. As for the next chapter of your life, Mazel Tov!

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #15 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes Mark, best of luck and fun in sunny Florida.....and keep that AC working! And please keep posting here because we all love your posts!

Geof
post #16 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Let us know where to send the single malt and stogie . . . Stay Thirsty my friend!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #17 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The SW Florida AVS Forum crowd, myself included, will welcome your addition to the sunshine state. Perhaps Larry Chanin (who lives in Sarasota and is another DC area transplant, as am I) will give you a ride in the new Tesla Model S he expects to get around Xmas. As I recall doesn't Alan live futher up the coast, perhaps Bradenton?

We need to sell our house in MD first so it may not be until the Spring or summer till we actually buy a house in FL and move. I look forward to joining the local Sarasota/Tampa Florida AVS Forum crowd. I will resurface shortly in another HT industry job.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #18 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mark, let us know what HT goodies you will be selling as well. smile.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List