keep the old or get new? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Pioneer Elite PRO FJP-1 (the JVC RS-2 clone) and the picture quality is pretty good. The black levels with my Black Diamond 0.8 (1st generation) is outstanding, but it is also fairly dark... I just don't think the projector has enough light output (and the room is light controlled, although not perfectly pitch dark...). However, I now have 1200 hours on the bulb... So I see two options... either get a new bulb and use this projector for another 2-3 years (that's how long that bulb will last me..) or sell the current projector (and how much would I get for it? does it even have a value left after all these years) and buy a newer projector. I don't want to give up the black levels I've come to love (so I'm thinking sticking with JVC... although not set on that if something else can match it), but I would love to get increased brightness, it would be nice if it was sharper (the RS-2 was never the sharpest PJ to start with...). 3D is not that important... yes, would be nice to have, but I can definitely do just fine without it.

Another issue that the current project has is that it seems to drift out-of-focus, so I have to refocus it about 1/month. Not a big deal, but would be nice if I didn't have to do that...

So, any input/suggestions?

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the JVC RS-1 and am on my 4 bulb (get 2000 hours out of each and have 1200 on number 4). My plan is to wait and here is why:
1. True 4K will be in the under $10,000 range in under 2 years.
2. LED or Laser light will be in the under $10,000 range in under 2 years.

In fact both might happen early next year if the RED projector comes out.

However I am looking at maybe adding Benq W7000 (~$2000) and having two projectors.
Here how I would use them:

3D - Benq (RS-1 can not even do 3D)
Sports - Benq (brigther and sharper)
Gaming -Benq (brighter and the same lag)
Movies -JVC (better blacks and more film like)
TV -JVC (better blacks and more film like)
post #3 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 PM

I'm in a similar boat. I've had my RS1 for a little over 5 years now, and have the itch! Since Mike assured me that the preorder is not a commitment, I jumped on the RS4810 list a few weeks ago. At $500 less than what I paid AVS 5 years ago, it seems like it will be a significant leap forward. Unfortunately I need real 4k and laser to be under $6k to make it a go for me, so it will likely be more than 2 years till we get there and I'd like an upgrade in the meantime.

The new Sony (50ES) also intrigues me, mainly for the brighter 3D and otherwise similar blacks to the RS1. However we'd mostly be watching 3D with our kids, and with the eldest not quite 5 we probably won't be doing it that often anyway due to the eye development warning. Which leads me back to JVC as I've always loved the projected image of my RS1 (through a Radiance and Panamorph UH480 and now a Darblet too). Very glassy filmic, but in our dark "Midnight in Paris" blue movie room I can still see the grey of black on screen (Carada BW) compared to the frame and walls and so the native CR of the 4810 makes me want 😊.

Like the OP, any further insight would be great.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I just posted a similar thread below. I just sold my RS20 which was a great pj, and am now looking for an upgrade. With the new crop of pj's around the corner, I figure I can pick up a current crop of pj for a good deal which will hold me over until laser.

I'm also after deep blacks and extra punch. The Mits 9000 has caught my attention, but don't know if it's a giant leap forward for how much more I'd have to spend over what I sold my 20 for.

AVS forum has a 95es for a great deal on B stock. I'd have gone that route if not for the fact the throw ratio sucks. frown.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #5 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
OP, I also have the Pioneer and the 2nd lamp has about 340 hours.

I also had the RS10 which is brighter but contrast is about par or below the RS2, so I just ordered the Darbee to give it more contrast and pop, but no much I could do w/ the brightness.

BTW, my screen is the Da-lite 2.8g HP, so I could still watch NFL in the afternoon in my living room with plenty of ambient light.

My next upgrade would be Sony or JVC, but most likely JVC, despite of its lamp issues and optical block problems. Somehow the dynamic iris on the Sony does not quite work for me.

GL.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
I have the JVC RS-1 and am on my 4 bulb (get 2000 hours out of each and have 1200 on number 4). My plan is to wait and here is why:
1. True 4K will be in the under $10,000 range in under 2 years.
2. LED or Laser light will be in the under $10,000 range in under 2 years.

In fact both might happen early next year if the RED projector comes out.

One can only hope home theater projectors advance that fast, but, I'd wager that it will be 5 years before we see an LED 4K projector under 10K. Seems that 3D has probably taken R & D money away from LED.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #7 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

One can only hope home theater projectors advance that fast, but, I'd wager that it will be 5 years before we see an LED 4K projector under 10K. Seems that 3D has probably taken R & D money away from LED.

One more reason to hate 3d. frown.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #8 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I don't think LED is going to make it. I think it is going to get skipped over for laser. The last two years LED has hardly been mentioned at CEDIA. It can be tough making a projector decision. I tried to lay out all the facts for you. You may have to flip a coin. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

3D when done right is fantastic in the HT. I just watched Titanic 3D and Avengers 3D (again) this past weekend, this would have seemed like science-fiction just a few short years ago.

Mike, I agree, it looks LED is DOA with the exception of some of the big ticket co's like runco and the pico projectors. If RED actually does what they claim, that could spark the trend for lasers.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

3D when done right is fantastic in the HT. I just watched Titanic 3D and Avengers 3D (again) this past weekend, this would have seemed like science-fiction just a few short years ago.
Mike, I agree, it looks LED is DOA with the exception of some of the big ticket co's like runco and the pico projectors. If RED actually does what they claim, that could spark the trend for lasers.

It works well for Pico projectors, but I think they can't get enough lumens out of them to make it work well and be cost effective for HT.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Not long after my post above, we saw a Dora 3D movie at the Houston Zoo. Maybe a snap decision, but the enjoyment the whole family had made me reevaluate my thoughts on 3D at home. To cut a long story (and long talk with Mike!) short, I'm on the list for one of the Sony 95ES b-stocks smile.gif
post #12 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post

Not long after my post above, we saw a Dora 3D movie at the Houston Zoo. Maybe a snap decision, but the enjoyment the whole family had made me reevaluate my thoughts on 3D at home. To cut a long story (and long talk with Mike!) short, I'm on the list for one of the Sony 95ES b-stocks smile.gif

if you have kids, you might find these useful. They are the Sony kids glasses that will fit most kids.

You need the glasses: (look on ebay, you can find these in blue too)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-TDG-BR50-Youth-Active-Glasses/dp/B003R74HFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349409368&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+BR50

and these filters from Sony:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/(S(jivrh055c30a0045lc0dzb45))/sony-part-number-145831421.aspx#

You will need 1 filter kit @ $14.99 per single set of glasses (kit includes 2 lenses).

These work perfect with the HW30 and VW95 projectors.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 AM

Thanks!

I scored two pair of the pink, NIB, for just $50. My eldest will be psyched!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page