Mitsubishi HC7800 - light leakage issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi guys,

I just got my first projector just few days ago, and there seems to be a huge light leak below the 16:9 movie image (see photos, I put a paper in front of the lens to show it).

Do you think I can fix it myself or need to take it back to the shop (would be a big hassle)? Or it is normal for projectors?

BTW I mount it upside down not sure if that is the cause.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Schumy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
You'd be surprised at how many projectors have a similar issue with light leakage. What I would do is mount the projector or just place it on a shelf if you don't want to go through the hassle of mounting for testing purposes and see if it's actually visible during a movie in a darkened room. Like I said, many projectors have a similar issue and the manufacturer realizes this but doesn't do anything about it because it's not visible in real world scenarios. If it's visible in a dark room return it for a new unit. From the looks of the photo the light leakage is far away from the actual projected image, so I doubt you'd be able to see it during normal viewing unless you're projecting on a gloss white wall with everything else being white as well.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
On the Mits hc4000, some people fixed it by adding a filler (I think with a washer or something similar) where the light was leaking.
I do not remember where the post was, but if you search for "light home depot" in the Mits hc4000 thread, or something like that, I think you might find how he did it.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys for your feedback.

the light leak on mine is quite visible right at the level of my head, that's how i came to notice it in the first place. if i raise my hand or leg during the movie, it will be lighted up which is annoying. the rest of the time i can see the shadow of my head casted on a cushion if i hold one during the movie.

I cant find the hc4000 filler mod posts, give up.

Mitsubishi sent a technician to check mine today. he said the leak is normal due to the design of the DLP chip. he has arranged for a new unit to be delivered to me and let me choose a better one between the two, but he has warned me that the new unit might be even worse so it might just be a waste of my time after all.

cheers
post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Use some felt or anything, just experiment, it shouldn't be that hard to stop the leak.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #6 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Use some felt or anything, just experiment, it shouldn't be that hard to stop the leak.

i can sort of fix it by taping a black cardboard in front of the lens but it is an ugly DIY fix and i cannot quite accept such a design flaw to be "normal" with a brand new $3000 projector...
post #7 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Believe me, that had to be done a lot in the early days of digital HT projectors. Its not such a bad fix but you should get your hands of light absorbing fuzzy used to line the inside of telescope barrels. You can find it on line and buy a small piece. You want to keep the spilled light from bouncing back onto the lens.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7800d Projector Full Hd 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page