Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3773 Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone have any recommended ceiling mounts for the 8000?

I am going to need one that has a pole extender of about 8-10" or so, as I have to drop it below a duct-drop in my ceiling.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3773 Old 11-11-2012, 06:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post

Hey guys just to let you know I got my 3D free glasses from Panasonic on Nov. 6. I had sent out the offer on October 9. so it's taking about a month, I know another person who sent them out arond the same time got them also.

What model are the glasses you received? Thanks!
post #273 of 3773 Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question: when setting 3D material to "light" (as opposed to "normal" or "dark"), does this alter settings to that the image appears brighter or is it directly cranking up the bulb (and burning it out faster)?
post #274 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyboy View Post

Question: when setting 3D material to "light" (as opposed to "normal" or "dark"), does this alter settings to that the image appears brighter or is it directly cranking up the bulb (and burning it out faster)?

If you are talking about the 3-D Eyewear Brightness setting, it changes the "duty cycle" of the shutter glasses. That its, it lengthens the amount of time the glasses are in the "open" state. This in turn increases the overall perception of brightness, but at the expense of additional crosstalk. The Normal mode is optimized for the best balance between brightness and crosstalk.
post #275 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 AM

I'm talking about the setting in the AE8000U 3D menu system, not on the glasses themselves.
post #276 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 AM

Liked: 10
The Projector control the Panasonic glasses.
post #277 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Panasonic's warranty = ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
-AE8000 is warrantied for 2 years OR 2000 hours, whichever comes first
-if you calculate everyday usage (I don't know one PJ owner who doesn't fire it up every day), that's 2.74 hours per day over two years (ludicrous)
-but wait, there's more: this is in addition to Panasonic's other ridiculous conditions, vis a vis, you will have to pay to ship the faulty projector to them and they may take weeks or months to repair and send it back (they have no even exchange program, not even for a refurb)
As tempting as the AE8000 is (low latency for gaming, increased brightness, lens memory for CIH, etc.), I guess I'll have to go with Epson. Their customer service and warranty is out-of-this-world outstanding (they have gone to bat for me several times, even out of warranty, for my HC8100).

Let see, my 4000 is almost 2-1/2 years old and I am around 1200 hours on it, so now you do know a projector owne that doesn't turn in on every day. If you don't like the warrenty fine, move on and get something else, see no reason to come here and bitch about it....rolleyes.gif
post #278 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Let see, my 4000 is almost 2-1/2 years old and I am around 1200 hours on it, so now you do know a projector owne that doesn't turn in on every day. If you don't like the warrenty fine, move on and get something else, see no reason to come here and bitch about it....rolleyes.gif

Agreed. Especially jumping into an "Official Owners' Thread" and bashing what people just purchased. A delta bravo move.

I am absolutely in awe of my AE8000 projector (a friend has an Epson 6010, so I have a basis for comparison as well). I also have two Panasonic plasmas, which have been fantastic for many years.
stevegamble likes this.
post #279 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard011 View Post

How about JVC, what's their policy on dead pixels ?

No official policy.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #280 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSuave View Post

My AE8000U just arrived and I'm noticing what looks like a moderate convergence issue. The below screenshots represent the best level of focus I can get. As you can see, the wording is blurry and has a 4-5-pixel magenta ghost behind the text. Even at 10 feet, you can see that the overall image is not very crisp. Is this to be expected? I'm coming from a line of Epsons, which had numerous other issues, but, were never this blurry. Also, I have to say, Panasonic customer support is horrible compared to Epson's. I have to wait 48 business hours just for someone at Panasonic to contact me back about this issue whereas with Epson I'd have a brand new unit on my door step in that period of time.

I'm having the same issue with mine and your pictures almost look exactly the same. My projector also makes a high pitched whining noise that is somewhat frustrating to listen to during quiet movie scenes. Did you get a response back from Panasonic? I'm curious as what they said. Is it common for this type of miss-convergence on these projectors? Will it tend to get worse as the projector ages? I really like the projector and don't want to deal with returning it or going through the warranty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #281 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Are any other PT-AE8000U owners on this thread experiencing this issue? Maybe I'm just being too picky?

On several Epson's, I've seen 1-px misconvergence, which I always assumed was par for the course. Here's one particularly bad instance of misconvergence I saw on a refurbished UB8500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE123 View Post

I'm having the same issue with mine and your pictures almost look exactly the same. My projector also makes a high pitched whining noise that is somewhat frustrating to listen to during quiet movie scenes. Did you get a response back from Panasonic? I'm curious as what they said. Is it common for this type of miss-convergence on these projectors? Will it tend to get worse as the projector ages? I really like the projector and don't want to deal with returning it or going through the warranty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have to say, working with Panasonic support is a nightmare compared to Epson. I contacted them on Friday morning and am being told that a "manager" must look at the photos, which won't happen until Tuesday. Then, if Panasonic deems it an issue, I will have to ship the projector off to service. I'll post an update as soon as I hear from them about whether or not they'll even attempt to fix the issue.
post #282 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard011 View Post

How about JVC, what's their policy on dead pixels ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

No official policy.

I had about 2-3 stuck blue pixels on previous JVC's. When I called them, they always told me that's normal and not covered by warranty. You would need something on the order of hundreds before they would exchange it. This policy is not surprising considering that I've yet to see a single JVC with 0 pixel defects. Luckily blue pixels are not visible from any useful seating distance.
post #283 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

I had about 2-3 stuck blue pixels on previous JVC's. When I called them, they always told me that's normal and not covered by warranty. You would need something on the order of hundreds before they would exchange it. This policy is not surprising considering that I've yet to see a single JVC with 0 pixel defects. Luckily blue pixels are not visible from any useful seating distance.

I've got a 3 year old JVC HD350 (RS10) with no pixel defects (I'm into calibration too, so I'm sure I would have noticed by now). I had a single stuck blue pixel on my old AE3000 and a couple on my previous AE2000, though to be fair I couldn't see them from my seat even once I knew where they were. It's just the luck of the draw really I think and I wouldn't avoid either make on account of this (for other reasons perhaps, but this is the owners thread so not the place).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #284 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sal View Post

The Projector control the Panasonic glasses.

Are you sure of that? That's amazing tech if that's the case. I wonder why anyone would choose the darker settings if there are no benefits to the trade-off? They're pretty... dark. smile.gif
post #285 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyboy View Post

Are you sure of that? That's amazing tech if that's the case. I wonder why anyone would choose the darker settings if there are no benefits to the trade-off? They're pretty... dark. smile.gif

There is really no other way it could work. Since the projector is controlling the display of the images, it needs to instruct the eyewear precisely when to open and when to close.

The Dark setting has a shorter duty cycle -- the lenses are open for a shorter length of time. Less light is received, but crosstalk is further reduced. Presumably one would choose this setting if reduced crosstalk were more important to them than brightness. The Bright and Dark settings are both trade-offs. Normal is optimized for the best balance between brightness and crosstalk. YMMV.
post #286 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM

That's amazing! Thanks!
post #287 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM

I just had a short presentation with the AT6000E. I was specifically there to see about ghosting/crosstalk.

They had the Epson 6100 on display before (very good 3D with nice colors but the motion was noticably rough and while there was no obvious cross-talk in the image it was apparent in the subtitles). Since Avatar-3D is a new release here in Germany they showed that one on all projectors.

They connected the AT6000 for me and it was clearly on for the first time as the lamp-counter showed 0h. So it was completely uncalibrated but they let me play with the controls. Unfortunately and since the AT6000 doesn't come with glasses, they didn't have the right glasses at hand at all... so I suggested using the glasses from an older Epson model just so that my visit was not in vein at all. So obviously what I saw is not a very accurate representation of the projectors capabilities, considering the old glasses from a different model and no real warm-up time for the projector.

What was immediately apparent though, was how much nicer the movement looked. The 3D-Motion-Remaster/Frame Interpolation made a whole world of difference. For the most part the image appeared(!) absolutely free of cross-talk, but I specifically asked for them to skip to a part with subtitles. And suddenly the cross-talk was very apparent. Not terrible but more visible as on the Epson. While changing the glass-brightness (which is definetely done in the projector) the image became notably brighter or darker but the cross-talk didn't disappear. It got a litte worse for bright and a little better for dark but even in dark it was worse than on the Epson. Now I really really hope that the right glasses and the right temperature will make a difference. Even if not I would without hesitation choose the Panasonic over the Epson for the fluidity of motion in 3D alone. I did have an Acer H9500BD here for a while and as a DLP projector it was completely free of cross-talk which was amazing, but the image was not as bright with a clear greenish tint and there was a noticable flicker from the glasses that the Panasonic just didn't have. I am still a little hesitant about shelling out 3K for a projector that is less than perfect but I guess that is all that the technology is able to give right now, right? I would love to see those L-R-shots through the glasses but I fear they won't look much better than on the 5000-series and will be a little worse than on the Epson. I wish I could have a weekend-session just to check if I am ok with the 3D. I intend to play a number of games on this device so I would like to know beforehand how the cross-talk would affect everyday usage.

Also I would like to know if glasses like those monster-3D can really make a difference. Or if the glasses can make a difference at all, or if the crosstalk is already 'on the wall' so to speak.
post #288 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUV1977 View Post

...Also I would like to know if glasses like those monster-3D can really make a difference. Or if the glasses can make a difference at all, or if the crosstalk is already 'on the wall' so to speak.

FWIW, I bought a pair of Monster glasses and spent a weekend comparing them to my 3rd gen Panasonic glasses and the AE-7000. After spending a great deal of time experimenting with the duty cycle on the Monster glasses, I was unable to achieve any settings that bested the Panasonic glasses.
Dizzyboy and KUV1977 like this.
post #289 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Anyone have any recommended ceiling mounts for the 8000?
I am going to need one that has a pole extender of about 8-10" or so, as I have to drop it below a duct-drop in my ceiling.
Thanks!

Anyone have any recommendations? Also, is it recommended to have the projector mounted as close to the top of the screen as possible for best picture purposes? There is a chance I can mount it infront of the air duct area, which would be almost right on the ceiling, I am just not sure yet if I can get the screen large enough if I do so. I'm going to measure tonight.

Also, those of you that sent in the rebate form for the free glasses - did you put the cardboard cutout of the UPC code from the box in a regular envelope or did you put it in a padded one? I'm asking because the cardboard is thicker than I expected and wasn't sure if it was too big/heavy for a regular envelope with regular stamp postage.
post #290 of 3773 Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Anyone have any recommendations? Also, is it recommended to have the projector mounted as close to the top of the screen as possible for best picture purposes? There is a chance I can mount it infront of the air duct area, which would be almost right on the ceiling, I am just not sure yet if I can get the screen large enough if I do so. I'm going to measure tonight.
Also, those of you that sent in the rebate form for the free glasses - did you put the cardboard cutout of the UPC code from the box in a regular envelope or did you put it in a padded one? I'm asking because the cardboard is thicker than I expected and wasn't sure if it was too big/heavy for a regular envelope with regular stamp postage.

I used the Chief mount with a 12-18" pole, and it is nothing short of fantastic.
post #291 of 3773 Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post

I used the Chief mount with a 12-18" pole, and it is nothing short of fantastic.

Thanks for the info. I was just googling that and saw they are like in the $250 range or so with the pole extension. I do like how they have sizes that will fit your exact need.

I'm curious though as to if anyone has used any of the cheaper priced ones from Amazon that are like $25 - $30, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Projector-Projectors-Adjustable-16-9-inch/dp/B005J0HRES/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1352818910&sr=8-10&keywords=projector+ceiling+mount

I know I bought my TV wall mount from Amazon for $25 and that thing worked just fine as compared to more expensive ones, but I was wondering if anyone has actually used any of the cheaper models for ceiling mounts, and if so, what is the difference between those and the more expensive ones.

Is there a specific forum to make a post about ceiling mounts in?
post #292 of 3773 Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 AM

I'm planning on using one of those cheap ones. I used it for a Sanyo Z5 and worked fine. Now I want to use it for the 8000. I'll report how it goes this week.
post #293 of 3773 Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I was just googling that and saw they are like in the $250 range or so with the pole extension. I do like how they have sizes that will fit your exact need.
I'm curious though as to if anyone has used any of the cheaper priced ones from Amazon that are like $25 - $30, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Projector-Projectors-Adjustable-16-9-inch/dp/B005J0HRES/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1352818910&sr=8-10&keywords=projector+ceiling+mount
I know I bought my TV wall mount from Amazon for $25 and that thing worked just fine as compared to more expensive ones, but I was wondering if anyone has actually used any of the cheaper models for ceiling mounts, and if so, what is the difference between those and the more expensive ones.
Is there a specific forum to make a post about ceiling mounts in?

I bought something similar to that from amazon for my PT-AE8000. Below is the link. I have had nothing but trouble with it. I can't get the screws tight enough to keep the projector in place and the projector sags and does not stay inline with my screen. The mount also likes to wobble side to side so its hard to adjust the lens shift on the projector because the mount moves. In my opinion, I would not skimp out on the projector mount, especially since you want it to be square with your screen. I plan on returning mine and purchasing a peerless mount (link is below). The pole extension and bracket has to be purchased separately though, so your looking at close to almost $150. Maybe someone else has some recommendations on a better mount. I bought cheap TV mounts but you don't have to worry about getting a TV to line up with a screen. How are you mounting your projector and how high is your ceiling? I have 7' 6" ceiling in my basement and I just mounted my projector as close to the ceiling as possible. I have a drop ceiling and used 2x4's between the joists and brought it as close to the bottom of the joists as possible and then I mounted the projector mount to the 2x4s.

Mount I purchased. http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Universal-Projector-22-4-Inch-Extension/dp/B000TUDOQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352829126&sr=8-1&keywords=projector+mount

Mount I want to buy. http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGUNV-Precision-Universal-Projector/dp/B000TXNS6G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1352829126&sr=8-4&keywords=projector+mount

Bracket. http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-ACC570-Joist-Ceiling-Mounts/dp/B000BITSTA/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Pole extension. http://www.amazon.com/Peepless-Indus-Peerless-EXT-006/dp/B0002XHBIO/ref=pd_sim_e_4
post #294 of 3773 Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 PM

You can just buy the peerless mount and make your own ceiling pole extension and bracket. The peerless uses standard pipe threads for its mount, at least the Peerless PRG-UNV that I have does.

The pole is nothing but a 1.5 inch pipe threaded both ends (called a nipple). You can buy this from Home Depot for $5.25 for a 6 inch pipe, other sizes are available and any plumbing shop can thread one to your specific size requirement. The fancy ceiling mount is just a "floor flange" also worth about $5. Get the cheapest can of flat black spray paint you can find say $3.87, clean the pipe and flange with rubbing alcohol and spray it with a couple of coats of flat black. Total cost around $15 and can be found in any hardware or plumbing supply store.

Spend your money on the mount, not the ceiling pole extension or the ceiling bracket. Just my $15 bucks worth....biggrin.gif
post #295 of 3773 Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Is it normal that the fan would crank up when the picture mode is set to Cinema 2? On Cinema 1, the fan is barely audible. Of course, Cinema 1 is a good deal less bright, so less cooling being required would make sense.

Also, after several days of use, I'm noticing a high pitched whirring sound that I think is coming from the fan mechanism. I presume this is normal, but I didn't notice it before last night, and now I can't stop hearing it. smile.gif

Last but not least, on the subject of odd noises, I'm hearing an unusual "clink" kind of noise coming from the projector every once in a while. It's always just a single clink sound (for lack of a better descriptive term), then nothing. Does anyone know what this is?
post #296 of 3773 Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgoodchild View Post

You can just buy the peerless mount and make your own ceiling pole extension and bracket. The peerless uses standard pipe threads for its mount, at least the Peerless PRG-UNV that I have does.
The pole is nothing but a 1.5 inch pipe threaded both ends (called a nipple). You can buy this from Home Depot for $5.25 for a 6 inch pipe, other sizes are available and any plumbing shop can thread one to your specific size requirement. The fancy ceiling mount is just a "floor flange" also worth about $5. Get the cheapest can of flat black spray paint you can find say $3.87, clean the pipe and flange with rubbing alcohol and spray it with a couple of coats of flat black. Total cost around $15 and can be found in any hardware or plumbing supply store.
Spend your money on the mount, not the ceiling pole extension or the ceiling bracket. Just my $15 bucks worth....biggrin.gif

Cool thanks for the info. I think I may order the mount tonight and the ceiling plate, and then check out Lowes or Home Depot for the pipe that I need. I think I will need about a 10" but I may be able to go a little shorter.

I may order my screen tonight as well, still waiting to hear a little bit more feedback about the Elite ezFrame or Sable screens before I decide to take the plunge or not on that brand.
post #297 of 3773 Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I'm on the edge of purchasing this projector. Just hoping that next week they go on sale like the 7000 did last year! Anyone got any inside info on this?
post #298 of 3773 Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm in the same boat WilliamG. No insider info info here, just checking the sites daily and ready to pounce!
post #299 of 3773 Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 AM

I've got a universal Peerless mount that I've used for 3 projectors now. It's built like a tank, but a bit of a hassle to adjust. Ieven got some creep with the last two projectors, but that might have been user error. I've had the Panny up for about a week or two and it hasn't creeped any so far.

I think I'd rather have a ball-joint type adjustment with a large knob to loosen/tighten the adjustment, even if it is more money.
post #300 of 3773 Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizam View Post

I've got a universal Peerless mount that I've used for 3 projectors now. It's built like a tank, but a bit of a hassle to adjust. Ieven got some creep with the last two projectors, but that might have been user error. I've had the Panny up for about a week or two and it hasn't creeped any so far.
I think I'd rather have a ball-joint type adjustment with a large knob to loosen/tighten the adjustment, even if it is more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

I'm in the same boat WilliamG. No insider info info here, just checking the sites daily and ready to pounce!

Check with AGI, just got a heck of a deal on a Damaged Box.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page