Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 3549 Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidpi View Post

I have a bluray drive...but which program do you use to play the bluray disk?
I bought the CyberLink Power DVD 13. I've used the Total Media in the past with DVDs that Mopar-Mudder recommeded and I don't remember any issues. I just went another way. I did try Corel and found it didn't work. They gave me a refund with no questions asked beyond why I didn't like it
I use the Brorsoft converter for adding movies to my laptop It is very easy to use and I'm happy with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3549 Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hey, that ^^^ was the first post on the 100th page :) Haha

PS...I'm a long time lurker, but just bought my first PT-AE8000U about a month ago and I'm still trying to learn as much as I can as I set it up.  Thank you to all the "experts" on here who have taken the time to write about their experiences and give tips to newbs like myself!  Keep up the great work for another 100 pages :)

post #2973 of 3549 Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Liked: 10

Alright I am trying to clarify something here. I think I may have misunderstood something.

I have built a 106" 2.35 screen.

While watching 1.78 content I understand the projector will not fill the entire screen. I made masks for this already.

When the 8000 zooms to fill the 2.35 screen when watching movies (assuming the content is 2.35)... Does the projector mask the bars on the top and bottom so they are not visible or will the black bars hang over the screen similar to if I purchased an Epson 6030 and manually zoomed the lens to fill the screen?

I was under the impression that when it zooms in for 2.35 content the black bars go away completely based on a few youtube videos I have watched.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

post #2974 of 3549 Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrandt View Post

...or will the black bars hang over the screen...

This is how it works for me...smile.gif

There is a masking feature on the 8000 but I haven't used it...
post #2975 of 3549 Old 02-12-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Alright I am trying to clarify something here. I think I may have misunderstood something.

I have built a 106" 2.35 screen.

While watching 1.78 content I understand the projector will not fill the entire screen. I made masks for this already.

When the 8000 zooms to fill the 2.35 screen when watching movies (assuming the content is 2.35)... Does the projector mask the bars on the top and bottom so they are not visible or will the black bars hang over the screen similar to if I purchased an Epson 6030 and manually zoomed the lens to fill the screen?

I was under the impression that when it zooms in for 2.35 content the black bars go away completely based on a few youtube videos I have watched.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

It projects above and below screen. assuming you have a half way dark wall around your screen you will no see the black bars above and below the screen.
post #2976 of 3549 Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

It projects above and below screen. assuming you have a half way dark wall around your screen you will no see the black bars above and below the screen.

What is the point of the masking feature then?

So the only benefit (OK not the only benefit) the 8000 has over say an Epson 6030 is the fact that it has the power zoom. Both projectors will have the black bars hang off the top and bottom when zoomed into a 2.35 screen?

Just need to clarify because this could change my decision.

Thanks

Phil

post #2977 of 3549 Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

What is the point of the masking feature then?
So the only benefit (OK not the only benefit) the 8000 has over say an Epson 6030 is the fact that it has the power zoom. Both projectors will have the black bars hang off the top and bottom when zoomed into a 2.35 screen?

Just need to clarify because this could change my decision.
Thanks
Phil

All the digital masking does is tell the projector to project black, or as black as it can. It doesn't actually block the light path. This can be helpful if you want to display 2.35 at 2.40 for instance, lets you crop the top and bottom of movie. Same if you wanted to show 1.85 at 1.78, you can crop the sides.

Yes the only difference is the power zoom. Which is huge to me, you can sit in your chair and hit one button on the remote to zoom out o 2.35 or what ever size you want. With the Epson you would have to manually zoom plus refocus and lens shift each time you zoom. All of these things are saved in the Panny zoom memory and done automatically. I thought Epson had some zoom memory projectors now also?
post #2978 of 3549 Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitel View Post

Has anyone received their mail in rebate who purchased this projector in December? I submitted mine mid-December and I still haven't heard anything back.

I ordered on Black Friday and submitted sometime in early December. I haven't heard a thing. Assuming it eventually comes it will be a nice surprise, since I just about forgot all about it!

MM
post #2979 of 3549 Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:

All the digital masking does is tell the projector to project black, or as black as it can. It doesn't actually block the light path. This can be helpful if you want to display 2.35 at 2.40 for instance, lets you crop the top and bottom of movie. Same if you wanted to show 1.85 at 1.78, you can crop the sides.

Yes the only difference is the power zoom. Which is huge to me, you can sit in your chair and hit one button on the remote to zoom out o 2.35 or what ever size you want. With the Epson you would have to manually zoom plus refocus and lens shift each time you zoom. All of these things are saved in the Panny zoom memory and done automatically. I thought Epson had some zoom memory projectors now also?
Quote:

Power Zoom PLUS memory (and autodetection), which may seem nuanced but that's the big deal. I definitely would have gone 6030 if it had this feature. I even convinced myself that manually zooming for an occasional 2.35 movie wouldn't be a big deal. I also thought the projected bars were going to be an issue. After having the Panny up for two weeks I can firmly attest to the wonders of lens memory. You set up all the fine adjustments needed to go from one to the other, and it automagically adjusts. Unexpectedly I've noticed that the occasional non-HD channel (DIY Channel for me) automatically zooms to remove the bars on top and bottom! Even cinemascope commercials (like movie previews) zoom in, then back again when the 1.78 show returns. It's AWESOME.... to me. Some may be driven crazy by it zooming for commercials.

Projected bars -- I'm with you, it seems like a killer feature to just turn off those pixels for masking or maybe a physical mask in the projector. It just doesn't work that way. I have HIGH GLOSS white cabinet doors 4 inches above my screen, and white counter running 18 inches below. I don't notice the black bars at all. I've put black velvet behind the screen to help break up the light. I will definitely be painting the underside of the cabinets black. The image reflects a lot of light off the screen, which probably adds more light than the projected black bars do.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my experience since we had similar concerns. Also, don't go too far into creating a masking system until you see how the projector (which ever you choose) zooms. It may or may not be perfectly centered on your screen depending largely on off-set mounting, but I imagine the projector itself could make a difference.

MM
post #2980 of 3549 Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmason View Post

I ordered on Black Friday and submitted sometime in early December. I haven't heard a thing. Assuming it eventually comes it will be a nice surprise, since I just about forgot all about it!

MM

I called the rebate department and they said mine was approved, but will take 6-8 weeks to receive a check.
post #2981 of 3549 Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Ok guys, got my PJ, but I think it's suffering from the infamous "panel convergence issue" :(

I'm getting kind of a ghost around letters to the upper left corner.  The lower right seems to be pretty crisp, but the upper left is very soft and, like I said, kind of has a ghost of the letters.

When I try to focus it, I can't seem to get it to focus perfectly.  When I use the image with the four green boxes around a plus sign, I can get one or two of the boxes to focus simultaneously, but not all four at one time.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's what I'm talking about (although the pictures aren't a perfect representation of the problem because it's hard to take pictures of a lit screen in a dark room).

Can you guys let me know if this is considered "normal" or if I should try to get a replacement?  Thanks!

Notice in the last picture, the upper right and lower left lines are pretty focused but the upper left and lower right are a bit blurry.  I can flip flop those too so that the blurry lines are crisp and the crisp lines are blurry, but I can't get them all to be crisp at the same time.

Note: If you click on the images to enlarge them a little, you can see the problem a lot better

post #2982 of 3549 Old 02-12-2014, 03:14 PM

Thanks for posting paladaxar. That is exactly what I am seeing with my Panasonic 8000.

post #2983 of 3549 Old 02-14-2014, 06:37 AM

I've had my projector for around 3 weeks now. Projecting to a 114" screen (16:9) from a ceiling mount. For whatever reason, when i'm watching movies in a 2.35:1 native ratio, i've noticed that the top edge of the picture slopes down to the right side a little. The bottom edge is perfectly horizontal. It's enough to be noticeable. If i had to measure the vertical sides of the image, i would say the right side is about an inch to and inch and half shorter than the left side.

I initially thought this was misaligned on my mount. But after tinkering for over an hour last night, i'm almost certain this is an issue with the projector or lens.

I haven't found a way in the settings to adjust for something like this.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have no other issues with this projector. It has an awesome picture. I just don't know if my issue justifies a return.
post #2984 of 3549 Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazbee View Post

Thanks for posting paladaxar. That is exactly what I am seeing with my Panasonic 8000.

Wazbee, were you able to get it to focus perfectly before you took it in to be worked on?  Were you able to get the word "focus" to be crisp and all four boxes at the same time?

post #2985 of 3549 Old 02-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladaxar View Post

Wazbee, were you able to get it to focus perfectly before you took it in to be worked on?  Were you able to get the word "focus" to be crisp and all four boxes at the same time?

Paladaxar. I was able to get it into focus before hand? I must say that sometimes I watch movies and I think it is perfectly focused. It looks as if the picture can not be any better. Like you I can only get two boxes diagonally in Focus. Maybe that is how it is meant yo be. I will be taking it back in this week. Will let you know how I go.

One thing I did yesterday was tack some black velvet to the ceiling above the projector. The difference it makes is unbelievable. Someone said here it makes a $3000 projector look like a $10,000 projector. Will be lining the ceiling and back wall soon.
post #2986 of 3549 Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Edit: Problem fixed
post #2987 of 3549 Old 02-16-2014, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I ended up with exactly 2" clearance between the top of the 8000 and the drop ceiling.

Working hard, hardly working
post #2988 of 3549 Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Received my $550 check Saturday.
post #2989 of 3549 Old 02-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordhits View Post

I've had my projector for around 3 weeks now. Projecting to a 114" screen (16:9) from a ceiling mount. For whatever reason, when i'm watching movies in a 2.35:1 native ratio, i've noticed that the top edge of the picture slopes down to the right side a little. The bottom edge is perfectly horizontal. It's enough to be noticeable. If i had to measure the vertical sides of the image, i would say the right side is about an inch to and inch and half shorter than the left side.

I initially thought this was misaligned on my mount. But after tinkering for over an hour last night, i'm almost certain this is an issue with the projector or lens.

I haven't found a way in the settings to adjust for something like this.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have no other issues with this projector. It has an awesome picture. I just don't know if my issue justifies a return.

See the images in this post
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464879/weirdness-of-my-panasonic-ae-4000u#post_23127415
Your problem it's the opposite of what you see in the drawing. Your PJ is slighty rotated counter-clock-wise (looking at the screen) and the bottom is horizontal because it's tilted. Level your PJ and then rotate it clock wise until the top and the bottom borders are paralel. Correct the position with the lens shift knobs.
Lordhits likes this.
post #2990 of 3549 Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

See the images in this post
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464879/weirdness-of-my-panasonic-ae-4000u#post_23127415
Your problem it's the opposite of what you see in the drawing. Your PJ is slighty rotated counter-clock-wise (looking at the screen) and the bottom is horizontal because it's tilted. Level your PJ and then rotate it clock wise until the top and the bottom borders are paralel. Correct the position with the lens shift knobs.

This was it! I thought i had leveled the projector to the mount in all directions, but it was slightly off in the direction to the screen. It was just a degree or 2 off from 90 degrees to the screen. Everything is perfect now.

Thanks!!
post #2991 of 3549 Old 02-18-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

i haven't posted for a long time. I read a lot of posts with issues and get worried that I'm missing something. I've been happy since day one. Watching a bad game for the Super Bowl I was extremely happy with picture quality. Didn't help with the boring game. I'll admit that doing precise calibrations is not my thing. I played with them a bit, but getting the pic cal'd to my screen size and finely focused was my main priority. I've not seen jitter, convergence, or color issues Maybe being a bit ignorant is a small blessing. My screen is a painted screen using a formula from the DIY forum and the projector is mounted in a storage room projecting through a knockout in the wall. Throw is 23ft and the room has minimal ambient light spilling in. Long throw and maybe the pic would be better with a shorter throw, but I like the zero noise and the projector stays cool in the unheated space.

Those waiting for glasses and rebates need to be patient. My experience was a reasonable wait for the check, but the glasses was way longer than advertised.

how long did you wait for the refund?

i'm supposed to get a 500 dollar refund but haven't received it yet.

post #2992 of 3549 Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Six weeks for the check, probably 5 months for the glasses.
post #2993 of 3549 Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladaxar View Post

Ok guys, got my PJ, but I think it's suffering from the infamous "panel convergence issue" frown.gif

I'm getting kind of a ghost around letters to the upper left corner.  The lower right seems to be pretty crisp, but the upper left is very soft and, like I said, kind of has a ghost of the letters.

When I try to focus it, I can't seem to get it to focus perfectly.  When I use the image with the four green boxes around a plus sign, I can get one or two of the boxes to focus simultaneously, but not all four at one time.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's what I'm talking about (although the pictures aren't a perfect representation of the problem because it's hard to take pictures of a lit screen in a dark room).

Can you guys let me know if this is considered "normal" or if I should try to get a replacement?  Thanks!

Notice in the last picture, the upper right and lower left lines are pretty focused but the upper left and lower right are a bit blurry.  I can flip flop those too so that the blurry lines are crisp and the crisp lines are blurry, but I can't get them all to be crisp at the same time.

Note: If you click on the images to enlarge them a little, you can see the problem a lot better
I think this is pretty normal mine looked the same remember you do not watch a movie from 6" from the screen. I concentrated on the top right block I would get it perfect and then increase or decrease the focus until the bottom right block would become more in focus without affecting the top right block. Just little bumps on the button. Once the top block started to lose focus I would back it up one bump. The result when watching a movie is fantastic. Remember you need to do this for every format and then save it into memory i.e. focus 16x9 save go to your 2.40:1 focus and save.
post #2994 of 3549 Old 02-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I received my $550 rebate today. I submitted my form on the final day I was eligible. For those wondering about the auto zoom, I just want to say it's awesome! I was debating this projector or the Epson projectors and I'm VERY glad I went with this Panasonic. I absolutely love when it zooms from 16:9 to 2.35. I had some friends over for the Super Bowl and when it auto zoomed for movie trailers to 2.35 at 133" it really was an awesome moment. Playing video games on 2.35 (with Lumagen) is pretty sweet, too.
post #2995 of 3549 Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 AM

Liked: 12
If you guys don't mind helping me so I don't have to read through tons of posts......has anyone made a definitive decision on the best budget 3D glasses for this projector?

and also, check the link below for screen shots of my panny with my new 2:39.1 silver fire screen. Really happy with the results. The screen shots at the top of the link are with my old 8350. scroll down to the bottom for shots with the new AE 8000.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510126/2-39-1-diy-screen-is-completed

Thanks.
post #2996 of 3549 Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe looking View Post

......has anyone made a definitive decision on the best budget 3D glasses for this projector?

For our household, it is the PS3 3D glasses...smile.gif
post #2997 of 3549 Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybelooking View Post

...has anyone made a definitive decision on the best budget 3D glasses for this projector?

So you spent upwards of $3,000 on your projector, another good chunk of change on your screen, and you're trying to save $50 on a pair of 3D glasses? Sounds like it would be worth buying the *best* glasses available since it's such a small expenditure in the overall scheme of things.

Mike
post #2998 of 3549 Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

So you spent upwards of $3,000 on your projector, another good chunk of change on your screen, and you're trying to save $50 on a pair of 3D glasses? Sounds like it would be worth buying the *best* glasses available since it's such a small expenditure in the overall scheme of things.

Mike

To be fair, if the 8000 was 55% cheaper nobody would ask why...
In my opinion the Panny glasses are over priced. Seems the price fluctuates quite a bit too. Last time I looked locally (2 real stores, not online) they wanted $90+ per pair.

Working hard, hardly working
post #2999 of 3549 Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post

I received my $550 rebate today. I submitted my form on the final day I was eligible. For those wondering about the auto zoom, I just want to say it's awesome! I was debating this projector or the Epson projectors and I'm VERY glad I went with this Panasonic. I absolutely love when it zooms from 16:9 to 2.35. I had some friends over for the Super Bowl and when it auto zoomed for movie trailers to 2.35 at 133" it really was an awesome moment. Playing video games on 2.35 (with Lumagen) is pretty sweet, too.

Was there a deadline on those?
How much time did you get?
I submitted mine kinda late so I don't know if it went through or not
post #3000 of 3549 Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 AM

Liked: 12
well hell maybe I should just let Panasonic keep my rebate too.

If money wasn't an object I would have bought a 15,000.00 4k projector. I all about getting the best performance for my dollar. Sorry if that irritates some people. cool.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page