Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3876 Old 04-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

Wondering if the experts and/or the Panasonic fans can help me on why I should get a Panasonic AE8000U over a Sony HW55ES? Here's what I think I know, based upon reading the forums. Please straighten me out on anything that is incorrect, missing, etc.

1) Lumens - the 8000 has more lumens in its brightest mode than the Sony HW55ES; however, the Sony has more lumens in the Cinema modes. Plus, the brightest mode of the 8000 is said to produce lime green grass on scenes with grass.

2) Color - the Sony is said to be more color correct out of the box.

3) Black Level - the Sony is said to have better black level than the 8000.

4) Uniformity - the Sony is supposed to be very good, but the Panasonic is said to have issues.

5) Panel Alignment - the Sony has it, but the 8000 does not. This is deemed by many to be a very necessary item for LCD projectors.

6) Fan noise - both are quiet in economy mode, but the 8000 is louder in normal/high lamp mode

7) Problems/Warranties - I'm seeing that there are folks experiencing issues with the 8000 (panel aligment and uniformity, for example) and are having to send the 8000 back, only to have to wait up to a month for a turnaround on the fix. Not seeing hardly any Sony issues. Regarding Warranty, Panasonic is limited to 2000 hours. If using the projector as a TV, I'll use up that 2000 hours in 6 months to a year. The Sony has a longer Warranty.

8) Cost - I believe the Panasonic is less expensive

9) Zoom/Focus - the Panasonic has the advantage here, IF doing a 2.39:1 screen.

Let me know...thanks!

Dave

Bump...seems like nobody wants to touch this one. It's kind of confirming my decision between these two projectors...

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3876 Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Bump...seems like nobody wants to touch this one. It's kind of confirming my decision between these two projectors...

Dave
I can only tell you that my 8000 has performed fantastic for me. I did a basic calibration in REC709 mode with the Disney WOW BD, and couldn't be happier. Haven't seen the Sony so can't compare directly. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either pj from what I've read. If you have a chance to audition both, pick the one that looks best to YOUR eyes. Reviews are great to use in helping make your decision, but trust your own eyes over anyone else.
post #3153 of 3876 Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

...It's kind of confirming my decision between these two projectors...

When I saw your initial post, I thought you had made up your mind in favor of the Sony...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either pj from what I've read.

+1

I am here due to the Lens Memory feature and the price point of the Panny...smile.gif
post #3154 of 3876 Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

When I saw your initial post, I thought you had made up your mind in favor of the Sony...

Actually, I had a dealer trying to convince me that the Panasonic was better than the Sony, but he still has not stepped forward to explain "why" it was better (even though I've asked twice). That's why I thought I'd ask here, since folks might be able to shed some light, despite the items I mentioned (which seem to favor mostly the Sony). Perhaps the dealer is just trying to sell a bunch of Panasonics inventory? Unless someone who has seen both these projectors can provide some input...

Thanks,
Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #3155 of 3876 Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Actually, I had a dealer trying to convince me that the Panasonic was better than the Sony, but he still has not stepped forward to explain "why" it was better (even though I've asked twice). That's why I thought I'd ask here, since folks might be able to shed some light, despite the items I mentioned (which seem to favor mostly the Sony). Perhaps the dealer is just trying to sell a bunch of Panasonics inventory? Unless someone who has seen both these projectors can provide some input...

Thanks,
Dave

The Sony 55ES looked nice when I saw it on demo, but no lens memory was a deal breaker for me so I got this Panasonic 8000u.
post #3156 of 3876 Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post

The Sony 55ES looked nice when I saw it on demo, but no lens memory was a deal breaker for me so I got this Panasonic 8000u.

I can see that it would make sense to want the Panasonic for the lens memory and zoom features - especially for the price! That's why I was considering it too. But, the panel alignment issues, along with more fan noise in its bright mode, are pushing me towards 16:9 and the Sony HW55ES. As I think about it, over 75% of my viewing at home is TV and games - so a smaller percentage is movies. Plus, typically when we are watching movies, the lights are out (as opposed to being on when watching TV and doing video games), so the black bars are not seen.

Dave

post #3157 of 3876 Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having problems all of a sudden when I power up my projector my receiver isn't powering up with it. When this happens it causes a huge handshake issue between the projector, the darbee and the receiver. It was working just fine and just the other day it quit. Is this a projector question or a receiver question?
post #3158 of 3876 Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't see how the projector could affect the receiver's powering on, unless you have the receiver watching for the projector to go on. Do you have 12V triggers between the receiver and projector? Have you changed anything in your remote system? (New, reprogrammed, tweaked delay settings?)

How does the receiver get turned on when this happens? Manually? Grab its factory remote? Turn everything off and start from scratch?

The simplest reason would be a receiver problem, unless the battery is dying on the remote.
post #3159 of 3876 Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

I don't see how the projector could affect the receiver's powering on, unless you have the receiver watching for the projector to go on. Do you have 12V triggers between the receiver and projector? Have you changed anything in your remote system? (New, reprogrammed, tweaked delay settings?)

How does the receiver get turned on when this happens? Manually? Grab its factory remote? Turn everything off and start from scratch?

The simplest reason would be a receiver problem, unless the battery is dying on the remote.

Well it has always done this since I got it all hooked up. I thought maybe it was just something weird between the receiver (its a Pioneer 1222k) and something with the 12v triggers worked that way. This is all new to me. I have both the receiver and projector plugged into a power center. It's the weirdest thing. Sometimes when the projector will fire up it will start up normally and then right about the time it usually kicks the receiver on the green light on the projector will turn kinda yellowish color and nothing happens. I gotta shut the receiver off manually and then try to restart it. It doesn't happen very often but just intermittently.
post #3160 of 3876 Old 04-08-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post

Well it has always done this since I got it all hooked up. I thought maybe it was just something weird between the receiver (its a Pioneer 1222k) and something with the 12v triggers worked that way. This is all new to me. I have both the receiver and projector plugged into a power center. It's the weirdest thing. Sometimes when the projector will fire up it will start up normally and then right about the time it usually kicks the receiver on the green light on the projector will turn kinda yellowish color and nothing happens. I gotta shut the receiver off manually and then try to restart it. It doesn't happen very often but just intermittently.

So, your projector is the one triggering your Pio?

I actually have it the other way around. I mean, I have my AVR (Denon) triggering the Panny. I'm always adjusting sources, adjusting the AVR volume up/down, etc. Therefore, I decided to actually have the AVR receiver at my hand to turn my system on/off.

I rarely touch the PJ's remote control. So, if it is not a big issue, you can try to let your receiver been the one sending the signal to the PJ.
post #3161 of 3876 Old 04-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

So, your projector is the one triggering your Pio?

I actually have it the other way around. I mean, I have my AVR (Denon) triggering the Panny. I'm always adjusting sources, adjusting the AVR volume up/down, etc. Therefore, I decided to actually have the AVR receiver at my hand to turn my system on/off.

I rarely touch the PJ's remote control. So, if it is not a big issue, you can try to let your receiver been the one sending the signal to the PJ.

Well it was triggering my receiver but now I have to do it manually and it's causing a huge problem with the darbee otherwise I wouldn't care. How can I set this up to get the receiver to trigger the projector? I know you have a Denon obviously, just wasn't sure if the setup was about the same. Thanks!
post #3162 of 3876 Old 04-08-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

Well it was triggering my receiver but now I have to do it manually and it's causing a huge problem with the darbee otherwise I wouldn't care. How can I set this up to get the receiver to trigger the projector? I know you have a Denon obviously, just wasn't sure if the setup was about the same. Thanks!

At my Denon I have two trigger outs. I use them as follows:

Trigger out # 1 - goes to the Panny
Trigger out # 2 - goes to a Emotiva ET-3 (for other toys)

I'm not familiar with your Pio, but in my Denon in order to use the 12V triggers, I need to activate them in the AVR Setup. So, I would recommend to check at your AVR setup, perhaps that is the issue. Usually happens to me...........things magically changed while I'm not at home (hint - my son tries to use my system to listen his music and he keeps messing around my configurations/setups).

Hopefully is just one of those little things and nothing major with your system.
post #3163 of 3876 Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Well it has always done this since I got it all hooked up. I thought maybe it was just something weird between the receiver (its a Pioneer 1222k) and something with the 12v triggers worked that way.

Same thing happens to me with my Pioneer VSX-1121 receiver. If I press the physical power button on the projector, shortly after the receiver will turn on. I don't remember if the remote power button does it too. There is no connection between the projector and receiver other than the HDMI cable and I didn't configure any special settings to make this happen.

Also as a side note, the projector and my Sony blu-ray player share some of the same IR code because certain buttons on the projector remote will do things to the blu-ray player when it is on.
post #3164 of 3876 Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 97
If you haven't already try unplugging the power to each for a few minutes.

Such a shame
post #3165 of 3876 Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 AM

I am curious as to whether or not someone could give feedback on the at8000 with a darbee darblet?

I am interested in pursuing this as an option as I feel like the one area where the Panny lacks is in sharpness--then again that has never been the focus of their projectors.  I like the idea of the darblet, but just wanted to hear if anyone can provide input?

Thanks.

post #3166 of 3876 Old 04-11-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpua65 View Post

I am curious as to whether or not someone could give feedback on the at8000 with a darbee darblet?

I am interested in pursuing this as an option as I feel like the one area where the Panny lacks is in sharpness--then again that has never been the focus of their projectors.  I like the idea of the darblet, but just wanted to hear if anyone can provide input?

Thanks.

Seems almost like an oxymoron. You have the smooth screen which is intentionally cutting sharpness and the Darbee which is adding perceived sharpness and perceived contrast. I do think the Darbee would help. I have tried a Darbee on many devices and I have yet to find one, where the Darbee did not improve the image.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3167 of 3876 Old 04-12-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

@Pyxle...did you send your projector back?

I emailed Panasonic and they replied and asked for some pictures of the problem which I sent. That was a week ago and I haven't heard anything since.

I was unable to return the projector to Projector People because I had exceeded the allowed lamp hours even even though it had been less than 30 days.
post #3168 of 3876 Old 04-12-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
I ran into the same problem...at first Panasonic was very good at communication even contacting me on a Sunday but as soon as I sent pictures, communications stopped. I had to send the pictures again as they said they didn't receive them...rolleyes.gif

I decided to e-mail the national repair center for Panasonic here: newbiz@heartlandsi.com

I was contacted very quickly by a real person and he took an active role in my problem...I sent my pictures to Heartland and the same day I received a warranty repair service order number and I am sending the PJ back on Monday. Heartland has been very impressive so far and I have good vibes that they are going to fix the problem in an acceptable amount of time.
post #3169 of 3876 Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
OK I'll do that instead when I'm back from traveling; that's a great tip.
post #3170 of 3876 Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I am interested in this pj. But I would like to watch in 2.35:1. Does this pj do this? How?
post #3171 of 3876 Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post

I am interested in this pj. But I would like to watch in 2.35:1. Does this pj do this? How?
Watching in 2.35:1 is the main reason I bought this projector a month ago and I love it. You essentially setup the zoom, focus, and shift setting for 2.35:1 and 16:9 content sizes, save them to memory, and then the projector adjustment switches between 16:9 and 2.35:1 content when it detects it. There are some video by Panasonic on YouTube which walk you through the setup and how it works.
post #3172 of 3876 Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The PT-AE8000 appears to have an MSRP of $2599. How did it end up in the "Over $3000 MSRP" category? (Aside from being a great projector...) Is that $2599 not the MSRP? Panasonic appears to be silent on that in their web site.
post #3173 of 3876 Old 04-14-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

The PT-AE8000 appears to have an MSRP of $2599. How did it end up in the "Over $3000 MSRP" category? (Aside from being a great projector...) Is that $2599 not the MSRP? Panasonic appears to be silent on that in their web site.

It started off with a higher MSRP.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3174 of 3876 Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 937
I just got off chat with Panasonic and they said they are not exiting the projector market. When I asked when I could expect the next models to be released, of course the CSR said she doesn't know and could not comment.

It's wierd to me that they don't have projectors even listed on their main home page anymore -- if they aren't exiting the projector business...not to mention they've always released a couple new models each year and haven't released anything since 2012.

Also - I've ordered one of these off B&H Photo today for the $2249 price + $350 rebate making it $1900.
Is this still pretty much a best of breed projector for ~ $2k?

Final question - will the Panasonic use any other companies active 3d glasses? Sony for instance?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #3175 of 3876 Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Also - what's the scoop on the Andrew Robins review that really wasn't favorable towards this projector. (of course balanced by the ProjectorCentral review witch is VERY favorable.)

http://hometheaterreview.com/panasonic-pt-ae8000u-3d-hd-front-projector-reviewed/

I did a search in this thread for Andrew Robinson, but it returned no hits.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #3176 of 3876 Old 04-14-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Also - what's the scoop on the Andrew Robins review that really wasn't favorable towards this projector. (of course balanced by the ProjectorCentral review witch is VERY favorable.)

http://hometheaterreview.com/panasonic-pt-ae8000u-3d-hd-front-projector-reviewed/

I did a search in this thread for Andrew Robinson, but it returned no hits.

Has PC ever said anything negative about any Panasonic? I still remember their review comparing the Sony HW30ES to the Panny 7000. In that review they stated the lower lumen output of the Panny could be an advantage since the Sony might be too bright to use in a dark room. Yeah right.

post #3177 of 3876 Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

...When I asked when I could expect the next models to be released, of course the CSR said she doesn't know and could not comment.

Panasonic usually releases new models in October...no new model in 2013.

Quote:
It's weird to me that they don't have projectors even listed on their main home page anymore...

Home theater projectors are sold through Panasonic Business:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/projectors/pt-ae8000u.asp

Quote:
Is this still pretty much a best of breed projector for ~ $2k?

For my 2k, yes...smile.gif

Quote:
Final question - will the Panasonic use any other companies active 3d glasses? Sony for instance?

PS3 3D glasses work great...

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-3D-Glasses/dp/B00562O8U0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397523418&sr=8-1&keywords=ps3+3d+glasses
Archaea likes this.
post #3178 of 3876 Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 AM

I bought PT-AE8000U last December. Yesterday I started to see a patch of cyan color in a rough rectangular shape placed right under the center of the screen. The patch is always there since the problem started. The project was connected to an Onkyo receiver. I have tried to connect it directly to a dvd/br player with a different hdmi cable. I have tried cleaning the filter. They didn't help. I wonder whether anybody else has seen this problem.
post #3179 of 3876 Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumian View Post

....I wonder whether anybody else has seen this problem.

I would say that you have a dust blob...forum member HMenke has a post about what he did...I will take a look for it.

Here you go:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1079806/official-panasonic-pt-ae3000u-owners-thread/3100_100#post_16241911
post #3180 of 3876 Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the consensus on the best projector mount for this projector. I purchased a monoprice universal ball joint projector for my last Epson 8350 and it was horrible. It jiggled, feel off target, and was generally a let down. I'm not afraid to spend more this go round and get a solid mount.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page