Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3451 of 3673 Old 06-17-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm selling my brand new in the box panny 8000 in the classifieds. Pm me
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3673 Old 06-17-2014, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool Big thanks to this forum

I am from germany - and i am extrem grateful about this us-forum, because w talk about pansonic beamers.

German beamer forums - in particular the hifi-forum.de be extremly dominated by JVC fans - including all moderators. News about pansonic - of course (and this thread is started from moderator) - Pana will left the consumer segment - because the beamer is not really the worst but no comparison to the extremly (over-the-top) best JVC-X35 beamer.

Statements why JVC is much better like all other beamers are mostly welcome by the moderators. Contrary positions will be deleted.

Sometimes it is a little bit hard to explain it in Sony VW-500/1000 forums, why JVC is much, much better - but is works. JVC user's have no problem to say - that a famous and very expensive Sony 4k is absolutly not needed, and JVC could do it all better

For example - if you say - JVC X35 is one of the best beamers for poor screen dimensions, with a huge black and a good resolution - it is green.
Do not talk about 4K-Sony beamers with better resolution - moderated=deleted.

Don't talk about brightness like pana or epson - JVC is much, much better. Ok. only for extrem poor screen dimensions
post #3453 of 3673 Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thanks for the replies. I will try those things and see what happens.

What 3D glasses are generally recommended???
post #3454 of 3673 Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Sony ps3 3d glasses are good and cheap.

20ish per pair.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #3455 of 3673 Old 06-18-2014, 07:18 AM

Liked: 0
Scrolling judder and reds bouncing or shaking

All,

I just bought and hooked up my new Panaosnic AE8000 projector. I'm having 2 issues and neither is a consistent problem. First when I watch ESPN or NFL Netowrk, the scrolling ticker at the bottom occassioanlly (about every 10-15 secs) doesn't scroll across the screen smooth. The other issue is and only occurs on certain channels the red colors only bounce or shake. One example is the 3 letter boxes on TLC in the bottom right corner around the letters TLC. Another was on a different channel on a show that I DVRd and there was a blue pillow on the coach with red letters, and the pillow was bouncing or shaking up and down and it was driving me nuts. Other shows (both DVDs and other tv shows (DIRECTV) are fine, so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to wh ythis is happening. I have absolutely no idea why this is happening and was wondering if anyone else had this issue or knows how to fix it? This is my first post, so I'd appreciate any feedback.
post #3456 of 3673 Old 06-18-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I hooked my Panasonic projector up to a pc and realized that no matter what I've done so far I can't get text completely sharp in the top left and bottom right at the same time. You'd never ever notice on movies, but with an excel document open in 1080p, you can see I can only get one or the other focused perfectly. Other than moving the projector further back as a possibility to try (I'm closer to minimum throw than maximum now) is the only other option a return under warranty? Or is there another trick I might be missing? It's about 5 or 6 focus ticks with the remote off perfect. I can blend between the two, but then neither is perfect. Is this normal?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

Last edited by Archaea; 06-18-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #3457 of 3673 Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Are you sure it's the projector and not the screen?
post #3458 of 3673 Old 06-20-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just realized that I probably should've posted in this thread instead of making a new one, in case people are already subscribed to it. Ever since I got this projector, it's stuttered/dropped frames every 30 seconds or so. Anyone else notice this? More details here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...-new-post.html
post #3459 of 3673 Old 06-20-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Sidnicious,

I've read AVRs sometimes add that problem when they pass through or upconvert the signal. The Onkyo 818 has that problem for instance.

Maybe toggle the frame creation function on the panasonic and see if that helps or hurts.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #3460 of 3673 Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I just reached out to Panasonic Chat function and asked what model of 3d glasses the AE8000U supports. They said the only glasses that will work are the TY-EW3D3MU

I know that isn't the case.

Since I notice the Sony glasses are better than the incrediview glasses I have - I'm still curious if the Panasonic are better than the Sony?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #3461 of 3673 Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Are you sure it's the projector and not the screen?
I played with the projector alignment a bit more with my wife a couple nights ago. It's a HECK of a lot better than when you were over, but still not perfect. Where as when you were over the text was absolutely terrible on one end or the other, after adjusting the alignment - now the opposite corner is just a tiny bit fuzzy if I focus in the top left or bottom right perfectly. Only like 5 or 6 clicks of focus difference between top left and bottom right, if I put it in the middle my wife says it's perfectly fine, but I'm a little annoyed it isn't perfect. It could be the Jamestown screen frame isn't perfectly flat. It probably is at this point. grrrrr.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #3462 of 3673 Old 06-20-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 132
@Archaea ,

The Panasonic glasses fit the face in a way that some of my guests like but they don't "perform" better than the PS3 glasses...they weigh less is the biggest difference IMHO.
post #3463 of 3673 Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Sidnicious,

I've read AVRs sometimes add that problem when they pass through or upconvert the signal. The Onkyo 818 has that problem for instance.

Maybe toggle the frame creation function on the panasonic and see if that helps or hurts.
Hey Archaea,

I usually keep frame creation turned off but the problem happens with it turned on, too. (When I asked Panasonic they had me reset it to factory defaults, with frame creation on.) What's an AVR?

About your focus problem, is there any chance that the screen (or the projector) is slightly tilted (i.e. one corner is closer than the other)?
post #3464 of 3673 Old 06-23-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Just bought nzeff's 8000 very excited to get it
post #3465 of 3673 Old 06-23-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Just bought nzeff's 8000 very excited to get it

Congrats Brian!

As you know, I have this PJ at home and I'm extremely happy with the 8000.

Looking forward to read on your initial impressions.
post #3466 of 3673 Old 06-23-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Thanks Carlos. Very excited to back into the PJ huge screen

Of course it won't be permanent till we close on the new house and I install in the unfinished basement (in a temp setup till we have the funds to build a finished dedicated HT)

I'm sure I'll figure out a setup in the meantime hahaa
post #3467 of 3673 Old 06-23-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Thanks Carlos. Very excited to back into the PJ huge screen

Of course it won't be permanent till we close on the new house and I install in the unfinished basement (in a temp setup till we have the funds to build a finished dedicated HT)

I'm sure I'll figure out a setup in the meantime hahaa
Well, this is a very serious step towards your dedicated HT at the new home. So, your family will be very thrill watching movies at a massive screen. Are you planning on buying a screen or are you going the DIY route?

Setup up did you say? Ha, ha..........I took the 8K out of the box and I was just projecting a movie on a bare wall. I called my wife to check on the new toy and we ended up watching the whole movie like that.

Yeah, the image out of the box and just projected on the wall was enough to know this was a keeper. Then, of course, after adding the screen it took PQ to a whole new level.

Once again...........congrats!
post #3468 of 3673 Old 06-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dust blobs

Two weeks ago I've received my new AE8000. It has now less than 50 hs and I had to clean 2 dust blobs on the blue LCD. This never happened so soon with all my former Panasonic PJs (this is my 6th Panasonic). Fortunatly all went right and the blobs are gone. My former PJ was a AE4000 (with some dust blobs too). The 8000 impress me as brighter and has a little more contrast, but the older one is a tad sharper (because of better convergence). 3D is very good and I'm not seeing (I´m not searching) artifacts. Overall I'm happy with my new PJ, but it does not made me drop my jaw like my sister's JVC DLA X500R ($ x 2).
post #3469 of 3673 Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post
Two weeks ago I've received my new AE8000. It has now less than 50 hs and I had to clean 2 dust blobs on the blue LCD. This never happened so soon with all my former Panasonic PJs (this is my 6th Panasonic). Fortunatly all went right and the blobs are gone. My former PJ was a AE4000 (with some dust blobs too). The 8000 impress me as brighter and has a little more contrast, but the older one is a tad sharper (because of better convergence). 3D is very good and I'm not seeing (I´m not searching) artifacts. Overall I'm happy with my new PJ, but it does not made me drop my jaw like my sister's JVC DLA X500R ($ x 2).
Maybe buy 2, and set them up to run passive 3d and see if your jaw drops
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3470 of 3673 Old 06-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon_DR View Post
Maybe buy 2, and set them up to run passive 3d and see if your jaw drops
Hi Damon. I'm not complaining with the 3D or the brightness of the Panasonic. I'm just saying that, vs the 4000 (in 2D), the improvements are not as big as I expected. IMO, if You can afford it, the JVC worth the 2x price.
post #3471 of 3673 Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 AM

Same Problem Different Panasonic Projector

My previous post is below. I have tried to troubleshoot several things. I upgraded my HDMI cables (so I can get 3D), viewed the same episode on 3 different tvs in my house to see if the actual signal was bad (all other tvs didn't have the bouncing effect), now received and installed a new replacement projector (has same issue), then I hooked up my old Mits HC4900 projector and it was perfect and didn't experience the bright reds bouncing. Does anyone know why 2 brand new Pany 8K would have this issue, but nothing else does? I'm at a loss but need to keep the lamp hrs under 4, so I can return the projector if I can't figure this out.

All,

I just bought and hooked up my new Panaosnic AE8000 projector. I'm having 2 issues and neither is a consistent problem. First when I watch ESPN or NFL Netowrk, the scrolling ticker at the bottom occassioanlly (about every 10-15 secs) doesn't scroll across the screen smooth. The other issue is and only occurs on certain channels the red colors only bounce or shake. One example is the 3 letter boxes on TLC in the bottom right corner around the letters TLC. Another was on a different channel on a show that I DVRd and there was a blue pillow on the coach with red letters, and the pillow was bouncing or shaking up and down and it was driving me nuts. in a different scene all th napkins and bar stools were bright red too, and they all did the same bouncing effect as the red letters on the pillow. Other shows (both DVDs and other tv shows (DIRECTV) are fine, so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why this is happening (best guess is onyl bright reds). I have absolutely no idea why this is happening and was wondering if anyone else had this issue or knows how to fix it? This is my first post, so I'd appreciate any feedback.
post #3472 of 3673 Old 06-27-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you take your AVR out of the HDMI signal chain and connect the projector directly to your cable box or video output source?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #3473 of 3673 Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Liked: 10
Is my dynamic iris broken?

Quick question for other PT-AE8000U owners regarding the dynamic iris. I've had my AE8000 for a couple of months now. I typically run with the dynamic iris on. I watched Lord of the Rings early on, and could definitely notice the impact of the dynamic iris. At the beginning of the movie where the screen is completely black and we only hear the narrators voice, the image gradually got very dark...and then when the title "Lord of the Rings" comes up, it suddenly popped very bright. My thought at the time was that it was a bit aggressive, but at least the dynamic iris was working. I didn't notice the dynamic iris doing it's work anywhere else in the movie, so I wasn't too concerned. Also noticed when I paused a movie and the screen saver popped up with just a small blue "Samsung" logo on a black background, it gradually got very dark. Again, pretty clear indication that the dynamic iris was opening and closing.

Thing is, I noticed last night that the screen no longer appears to dim when the screen saver pops up. I also popped in Lord of the Rings, and on that opening scene, the black levels are very constant throughout. I did not see the dimming and sudden brightening of the image that I noticed when the projector was new. I have verified that the dynamic iris is enabled in settings.

If I pause the image and toggle the dynamic iris on and off, I do see a change in the image. In a dark scene, the light parts of the image actually get brighter...but the blacks don't seem to get any darker. I know that the gamma is dynamically adjusted as the iris opens and closes, and I suspect that what I may be seeing is the gamma being adjusted, but the dynamic iris remaining open. Not sure exactly how to go about verifying whether or not the dynamic iris is actually working.

Oh, one other thing worth mentioning. A couple months back, there were two occasions where the image got very dark when the screen saver came on and didn't get bright again when the movie started again. Power cycling the projector resolved this issue. This happened exactly twice within a week or so...and I haven't seen it since. Now I'm wondering if that might have been the DI failing. Just not sure if there's an issue or I'm imagining things.

Can any other AE8000 owners comment on whether or not they can detect the DI doing it's work when moving between very dark and very light scenes. Would be great if anyone has the LOTR extended addition and can watch that opening scene with the DI on and just comment on what you see.

Thanks!

Last edited by byancey; 06-28-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Adding title
post #3474 of 3673 Old 06-28-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I hooked my Panasonic projector up to a pc and realized that no matter what I've done so far I can't get text completely sharp in the top left and bottom right at the same time. You'd never ever notice on movies, but with an excel document open in 1080p, you can see I can only get one or the other focused perfectly. Other than moving the projector further back as a possibility to try (I'm closer to minimum throw than maximum now) is the only other option a return under warranty? Or is there another trick I might be missing? It's about 5 or 6 focus ticks with the remote off perfect. I can blend between the two, but then neither is perfect. Is this normal?

Are you using the lens shift function? I initially had my AE8000U mounted at ceiling height using vertical lens shift to center the image on my screen. In this configuration I had some minor issues with focus uniformity. I'm only using my projector for movies, and as you stated, the focus uniformity wasn't anything that was visible in movies, so I didn't think too much about it. However, I recently purchased a high power screen and ended up lowering my projector several feet to take advantage of the retro-reflective screen. It's now mounted low enough that the lens shift knob is dialed in pretty much dead center, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can now get sharp uniform focus across the entire screen.
post #3475 of 3673 Old 06-28-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsh4life View Post
All,

I just bought and hooked up my new Panaosnic AE8000 projector. I'm having 2 issues and neither is a consistent problem. First when I watch ESPN or NFL Netowrk, the scrolling ticker at the bottom occassioanlly (about every 10-15 secs) doesn't scroll across the screen smooth. The other issue is and only occurs on certain channels the red colors only bounce or shake. One example is the 3 letter boxes on TLC in the bottom right corner around the letters TLC. Another was on a different channel on a show that I DVRd and there was a blue pillow on the coach with red letters, and the pillow was bouncing or shaking up and down and it was driving me nuts. Other shows (both DVDs and other tv shows (DIRECTV) are fine, so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to wh ythis is happening. I have absolutely no idea why this is happening and was wondering if anyone else had this issue or knows how to fix it? This is my first post, so I'd appreciate any feedback.
I had the same problem. Change frame response to "Fast" and you should be good.
post #3476 of 3673 Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I had this problem too. Finally called Panasonic about it and got it fixed. I had to mail my projector in and figured it would be gone for a while. To my delight, I had my projector back in 6 days. They said they replaced the optic block (I think thats what it was called). Totally fixed my screen from not being focused throughout the whole picture.
post #3477 of 3673 Old 06-29-2014, 05:02 AM

Liked: 11
Is there any way to disable inputs you're not using on this unit? I'm having some harmony control issues.
Michael Sargent likes this.
post #3478 of 3673 Old 06-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byancey View Post
Quick question for other PT-AE8000U owners regarding the dynamic iris.
Can any other AE8000 owners comment on whether or not they can detect the DI doing it's work when moving between very dark and very light scenes. Would be great if anyone has the LOTR extended addition and can watch that opening scene with the DI on and just comment on what you see.
Thanks!
Hi Byancey.
You can check the Dynamic Iris functionality by entering the Ext Option hidden menu:
Procedure to enter EXT OPTION
1. When the projector is power ON, press "POWER" button on the main unit or remote control unit to display "POWER OFF" confirmation screen.
2. Press the right-arrow " " button to select "CANCEL" in the "POWER OFF" confirmation screen.
3. On the main unit or remote control unit, press the buttons in order of up-arrow " ", down-arrow " ", up-arrow " ", down-arrow " " and "ENTER".
(When the "ENTER" button is pressed, "EXT OPTION" menu is displayed.)
Select the Self Check sub-menu and look for the Iris part. If something is not OK or in red, then there is a Iris problem.
post #3479 of 3673 Old 06-29-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post
Hi Byancey.
You can check the Dynamic Iris functionality by entering the Ext Option hidden menu:
Procedure to enter EXT OPTION
1. When the projector is power ON, press "POWER" button on the main unit or remote control unit to display "POWER OFF" confirmation screen.
2. Press the right-arrow " " button to select "CANCEL" in the "POWER OFF" confirmation screen.
3. On the main unit or remote control unit, press the buttons in order of up-arrow " ", down-arrow " ", up-arrow " ", down-arrow " " and "ENTER".
(When the "ENTER" button is pressed, "EXT OPTION" menu is displayed.)
Select the Self Check sub-menu and look for the Iris part. If something is not OK or in red, then there is a Iris problem.

Thank you so much for that info. I'll give that a try tomorrow and respond back here with the results.
post #3480 of 3673 Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byancey View Post
Thank you so much for that info. I'll give that a try tomorrow and respond back here with the results.
Self Diagnostics report that all is OK with the mechanical operation of the iris.

There's no question that the operation of the DI has changed since I first purchased the projector, however, I do recall thinking back then that the operation of the DI in very dark scenes was perhaps overly aggressive, particularly with how the light levels continued to drop gradually in extended dark scenes and then suddenly and noticeably "popped" from very dark to much lighter in some dark to bright scene transitions. Perhaps it was misbehaving early on and has now settled in and is working normally.

As for the black bars that I started to notice, I went back yesterday and while I can notice them, it is very subtle and only visible in completely dark scenes that last for more than a few seconds. There's no question that an overly aggressive iris in those dark scenes would likely have helped to hide those bars early on, but otherwise, I did switch from an older projector (AX100U) with a used bulb to a new projector with a new bulb that is also 400 lumens brighter. Given that, the subtle bars on the masking that I'm able to detect in extended dark scenes may not be unexpected.

Would still love to hear any other AE8000U owners reports on operation of their DI in extremely dark scenes, but for the moment I'm going to assume that the DI on my AE8000U is operating normally.

Thanks!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page