Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 119 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3541 of 3773 Old 08-20-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
That is what I hate about rebates... I think they don't send them out sometimes knowing that people lose track of them. If you contact them to let them know you are still waiting it will remind them that you haven't forgotten.
Not only that I am on the phone right now waiting in line for an operator. It is always the case that all their representatives are assisitng other customers and they are "Experiencing higher than normal volume" I got em on speaker phone, I can let it run all day.
ellisr63 likes this.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3542 of 3773 Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Not only that I am on the phone right now waiting in line for an operator. It is always the case that all their representatives are assisitng other customers and they are "Experiencing higher than normal volume" I got em on speaker phone, I can let it run all day.
If they really wanted to give you the rebate... It would be an instant rebate from the authorized dealer.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is online now  
post #3543 of 3773 Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Member
 
bull3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Not only that I am on the phone right now waiting in line for an operator. It is always the case that all their representatives are assisitng other customers and they are "Experiencing higher than normal volume" I got em on speaker phone, I can let it run all day.
I also emailed them at:
panasonicrebates AT acbcoop DOT com
ellisr63 likes this.
bull3001 is online now  
post #3544 of 3773 Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
If they really wanted to give you the rebate... It would be an instant rebate from the authorized dealer.
The check was mailed out in Feb for $550. Now I have to go back in quicken and see if we got it. However my wife's computer crashed at the office and we lost some of the quicken. Panasonic is checking to see if it was cashed as well as I.
ellisr63 likes this.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #3545 of 3773 Old 08-20-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Reset all your digital lens controls - slid the front cover off and use the joystick lever to make that initial adjustment. Use the digital controls to fine tune after you get it lined up with the joystick.


Yep that did it. Thanks. I was looking at that the joystick when I first opened the PJ, probably 6 months ago and I just forgot all about it. You can move the picture all over the wall with the joystick. Awesome. I am going to get the room cleaned up today and get working on getting the screen installed. After the carpet gets installed I am on my way. Still lots to do.

I will add, just shooting on the black wall, the picture looks nice. Cannot wait to see it on the screen. I am like a little kid, I feel like I am 12 and it is a week before Christmas.
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-20-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #3546 of 3773 Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,530
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post
Hey guys, set up question for you. I am installing an 8000 in a room I built for my dad. I installed my own 8000 almost two years ago, but mine is shelf mounted and almost perfectly centered horizontally. My dad's is on a mount and due to joist location, duct work, etc, the lens is probably 18", maybe more, to the right of the center of the screen.

I have an issue with his picture that I never had with mine, and I'm guessing it's related to the lens location. It's almost a horizontal keystone effect, however, the top of the image is relatively level, as are the sides. The problem is really only on the bottom. A somewhat exaggerated depiction of the issue is attached. Let me know if you have any ideas. If I need to shelf mount it so it can be centered, that is possible.


This is like an MMAT question.


easy fix

Looking at the screen and standing behind the ceiling mounted projector make the following changes:
tilt the projector to the right
then rotate the projector on the mount to the right a bit.


You are tilted left and rotated left currently.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 08-20-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Archaea is online now  
post #3547 of 3773 Old 08-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Member
 
manning99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know what or who MMAT is, but I'm going to go ahead and be offended, just in case. Thanks for the response, and I'll give it another look. Although it seems if it were titled one way, the side image lines wouldn't be so plumb.
manning99 is offline  
post #3548 of 3773 Old 08-20-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,530
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 857
No offense intended. You'll be like, oh now I understand once you try it.
http://www.audioholics.com/projector...n-home-theater
Your yaw and roll are off to use this article's terms.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #3549 of 3773 Old 08-23-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
NMJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Heads up - replacement lamps

Just fyi. The AE8000 replacement lamp I recently purchased, from my Panasonic Authorized HT retailer, was somehow equipped with the wrong connector. The two-pole connector on our lamps are "keyed" to engage the mating PJ conntector with a small tear-drop protrusion on both connector shells. Mine was mis-keyed, so that the protrusion was on the wrong corner. After sending a side-by-side photo to my dealer, it was quickly replaced with another lamp that fit properly. This was a serialized, direct-from-panasonic replacement part, so there was apparently a mix-up at the factory on one or more lamps. Bottom line: if you are installing a replacement lamp, and it won't seat properly, check the connectors side-by-side with your original lamp. Hopefully this was just an isolated instance. I'll say it one more time, I purchsed the lamp from a reputable, panasonic authorized HT dealer (I think there are only three or four in the country), so this is not a case of grey market or other funny business.
ellisr63 and laugsbach like this.
NMJack is offline  
post #3550 of 3773 Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 AM
T0S
Member
 
T0S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PT-AE 8000 vs 3000 experience

A bit late to this party but I've finally set up a PT-AE 8000 to replace my trusty old PT-AE 3000.
I'm using Cinema 1 (vs Color 1 on the 3000).

Out of interest after set up I aimed my light meter at the white end of the DVE PLUGE pattern on both. The exposure time for the 3000 was 2.5X longer - implying a light intensity of 2.5X higher from the 8000 (Both were in Eco mode). No difference at the black end of the pattern.

BTW, in spite of all the concerns in this thread and in some reviews, there is absolutely no color variation on a white screen, and convergence is fine at all corners. My old 3000 had a magenta top right corner.

Now my only issue is the 8000 definitely pushes green in both Cinema 1 and rec. 709. Any time tips on the best adjustment in advanced mode to correct this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	234513   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.PNG
Views:	60
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	234521  
T0S is offline  
post #3551 of 3773 Old 08-29-2014, 03:18 AM
T0S
Member
 
T0S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0S View Post
Any tips on the best adjustment in advanced mode to correct this?
Never mind - found this
http://www.projectorreviews.com/pana...nd-settings-2/
T0S is offline  
post #3552 of 3773 Old 08-31-2014, 11:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Dizzyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyboy View Post
Does this unit have a known issue with greens gradually appearing in blacks over time? My unit has always been capable of producing reasonably inky blacks, but as of about a week ago, the blacks have become lighter, and almost appear to have green in them. I've been using this unit several times a week since Dec 2012 and this is the first I've noticed this. The lighter blacks remain the same on any picture mode, from Cinema 1 straight to Game.
Since the time of my posting the above in March, the green tinge in my machine's blacks has worsened considerably. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or if there may be any way to correct this issue? It's extremely frustrating and, as a long-time Panasonic fan, very disappointing.
Dizzyboy is offline  
post #3553 of 3773 Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Newbie
 
Winchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

New here and also new to the AE8000. Just got it in yesterday! What a wonderful piece of equipment.

Spent about 6 hours trying to get it all configured for lens memory swap between 16:9 and 2.35:1. Like many others have mentioned here, this is easier said than done.

The first thing I learned here is that I needed to do the 16:9 setup first, then the 2:35:1. I did it the other way around because honestly, 99% of the time 2.35 is what I watch. However, that made for a nightmare to setup the 16:9 afterwards. So, I'll be resetting everything to factory and starting over.

The HUGE disappointment though was that I built this room from scratch about a year ago, taking into account the dimensions given by the Panasonic throw distance calculator. ( http://www.panasonic.net/avc/projector/calculator/ )

That tool is whacked! It was no where near where I needed to be. I built in reinforcements between joists to solidly mount the projector at around 13ft like the tool told me to. No wonder I can't get a big enough image at 16:9 and I need to nearly max out the zoom to fill the 2:35 with 2:35 content.
For what I just learned via the much better ProjectorCentral tool, to fill in my 120' Curved 2.35:1 I need to be closer to 16ft out!
Now I need to find a joist close to that distance, but my Peerless mount probably won't be as happy as it is right now.

All in all, so far I am having a blast setting all this up and learning the ropes. I have not tweaked anything yet but out of the box it looked amazing to me!

I'm sure I'll be back asking for some more advice as I try to get my setup ready for prime time.
Winchy is offline  
post #3554 of 3773 Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cw5billwade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchy View Post
Hi guys,

New here and also new to the AE8000. Just got it in yesterday! What a wonderful piece of equipment.

Spent about 6 hours trying to get it all configured for lens memory swap between 16:9 and 2.35:1. Like many others have mentioned here, this is easier said than done.

The first thing I learned here is that I needed to do the 16:9 setup first, then the 2:35:1. I did it the other way around because honestly, 99% of the time 2.35 is what I watch. However, that made for a nightmare to setup the 16:9 afterwards. So, I'll be resetting everything to factory and starting over.

The HUGE disappointment though was that I built this room from scratch about a year ago, taking into account the dimensions given by the Panasonic throw distance calculator. ( http://www.panasonic.net/avc/projector/calculator/ )

That tool is whacked! It was no where near where I needed to be. I built in reinforcements between joists to solidly mount the projector at around 13ft like the tool told me to. No wonder I can't get a big enough image at 16:9 and I need to nearly max out the zoom to fill the 2:35 with 2:35 content.
For what I just learned via the much better ProjectorCentral tool, to fill in my 120' Curved 2.35:1 I need to be closer to 16ft out!
Now I need to find a joist close to that distance, but my Peerless mount probably won't be as happy as it is right now.

All in all, so far I am having a blast setting all this up and learning the ropes. I have not tweaked anything yet but out of the box it looked amazing to me!

I'm sure I'll be back asking for some more advice as I try to get my setup ready for prime time.
correct 16x9 first then use the lens shift knob to drop the image and fine tune with digital controles. I would do a test on distance before you install it agian. my lens is around 17' from a 126" wide screen so you should be close at 16' search my name in this thread I had a really detailed step by step set up earlyer.
cw5billwade is online now  
post #3555 of 3773 Old 09-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Newbie
 
Winchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
correct 16x9 first then use the lens shift knob to drop the image and fine tune with digital controles. I would do a test on distance before you install it agian. my lens is around 17' from a 126" wide screen so you should be close at 16' search my name in this thread I had a really detailed step by step set up earlyer.
Thanks cw5billwade. What I ended up doing last night was to set the pj on a step ladder and started playing the the image sizes trying to keep the zoom at the lowest level to make sure if I had to go way back I could still fit the image within the screen.

After I was happy with the size at 16:9, I went ahead and found a ceiling joist close to that location. I ended up placing the mount at 17ft from the screen which gave me a lens distance of roughly 16'-7".

I spent quite a bit of time messing around with the joystick. That thing is VERY touchy. But with a lot of patience I got the 16:9 perfectly centered. The 2.35:1 setup was still hard to do. No matter what I try, I have to use the zoom to point of overshooting the screen by a lot if I want the image to fill in the entire screen. The problem with doing that is though the image looks great, the pj menu lands outside screen and I can't work it well. Has anyone run into this problem?
Winchy is offline  
post #3556 of 3773 Old 09-06-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cw5billwade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchy View Post
Thanks cw5billwade. What I ended up doing last night was to set the pj on a step ladder and started playing the the image sizes trying to keep the zoom at the lowest level to make sure if I had to go way back I could still fit the image within the screen.

After I was happy with the size at 16:9, I went ahead and found a ceiling joist close to that location. I ended up placing the mount at 17ft from the screen which gave me a lens distance of roughly 16'-7".

I spent quite a bit of time messing around with the joystick. That thing is VERY touchy. But with a lot of patience I got the 16:9 perfectly centered. The 2.35:1 setup was still hard to do. No matter what I try, I have to use the zoom to point of overshooting the screen by a lot if I want the image to fill in the entire screen. The problem with doing that is though the image looks great, the pj menu lands outside screen and I can't work it well. Has anyone run into this problem?
Make sure you check your movies some are 2.40:1 and some are 2.35:1 if screen is 2.35:1 insure the movie you use I to set up is. Find my setup guide it will help.
ellisr63 likes this.
cw5billwade is online now  
post #3557 of 3773 Old 09-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
ch1sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchy View Post
Thanks cw5billwade. What I ended up doing last night was to set the pj on a step ladder and started playing the the image sizes trying to keep the zoom at the lowest level to make sure if I had to go way back I could still fit the image within the screen.

After I was happy with the size at 16:9, I went ahead and found a ceiling joist close to that location. I ended up placing the mount at 17ft from the screen which gave me a lens distance of roughly 16'-7".

I spent quite a bit of time messing around with the joystick. That thing is VERY touchy. But with a lot of patience I got the 16:9 perfectly centered. The 2.35:1 setup was still hard to do. No matter what I try, I have to use the zoom to point of overshooting the screen by a lot if I want the image to fill in the entire screen. The problem with doing that is though the image looks great, the pj menu lands outside screen and I can't work it well. Has anyone run into this problem?
Are you setting 16:9 first and then 2.35? After you have your projector centered, put the joystick in the middle starting position (middle has a small indent). Project a 16:9 image and use the joystick to drop it into frame and then zoom/focus to get your perfect 16:9 image. Now go into your lens shift savings and save it by naming it 16:9 or 1.78, or whatever you want. Now put in a 2.35 movie. Remember you have to play the movie to get the 2.35 image to show because the menu screen for the movie will only be 16:9. After the 2.35 image is up, use zoom to enlarge it. At this point you want to use v-area position in the projector settings to raise/lower the picture. You can zoom in/out and focus as needed to get it to fit. Once done, save it in the memory savings as a new setting (2.35/scope/whatever). Make sure auto switching is on as well.

Movies might be slightly off from 2.35 so the edges might overspill a little. If there are overspilling a lot, you might be doing one of the steps above incorrectly.
ch1sox is online now  
post #3558 of 3773 Old 09-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Newbie
 
Winchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
Are you setting 16:9 first and then 2.35? After you have your projector centered, put the joystick in the middle starting position (middle has a small indent). Project a 16:9 image and use the joystick to drop it into frame and then zoom/focus to get your perfect 16:9 image. Now go into your lens shift savings and save it by naming it 16:9 or 1.78, or whatever you want. Now put in a 2.35 movie. Remember you have to play the movie to get the 2.35 image to show because the menu screen for the movie will only be 16:9. After the 2.35 image is up, use zoom to enlarge it. At this point you want to use v-area position in the projector settings to raise/lower the picture. You can zoom in/out and focus as needed to get it to fit. Once done, save it in the memory savings as a new setting (2.35/scope/whatever). Make sure auto switching is on as well.
Movies might be slightly off from 2.35 so the edges might overspill a little. If there are overspilling a lot, you might be doing one of the steps above incorrectly.
Yup, that is precisely what I did. And don't get me wrong, it looks great. 16:9 perfectly centered and as big as it can be. The 2.35 also fills the entire screen perfect. But If I pull up the menu half of it is under the screen. And if I show the blue pattern, I am spilling on all 4 edges by about 2ft. The yellow lines are well outside the frame border. I don't mind it too much since the movie looks so great, but I wonder if this was a common occurrence or was I doing it all wrong.

And like cw5billwade said, I also found out that some movies are 2.40 as well, so I may have to create another memory for that. All my movies are ripped and I play them with XBMC. Sometimes what the description says is not very accurate.

The other interesting thing I found out with playing my DirecTV content. While I have the receiver set to 16:9, there seems to be content that triggers the 2.35 memory slot. For sure I know it happened with a movie trailer being advertised. But I swear I saw a regular commercial kick it in as well. Not bad, just weird to see it happen while watching regular TV. I never knew DirecTV could push 2.35 content or the receiver play it. I have to see if I can watch a DirecTV movie on a regular channel like TNTHD and see if the projector goes into 2.35. That'd be awesome.

Last edited by Winchy; 09-07-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Winchy is offline  
post #3559 of 3773 Old 09-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Member
 
mtmason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not sure if 120" is width or diagonal, but for reference, I have a 133" (diagonal) 2.35:1 screen with the projector mounted 16' with about 18" of lens shift to the left and 8" down for an off center mount, and I could go bigger. The calculator says I could go to 155 at 16', which seems about right. Although I think the calculator there is pretty new. I seem to recall having a hard time with the Panasonic site 9 months ago when planning my own installation. I had to look at the manual, because I needed to know the max lens shift values. It made my head hurt. Anyway, if you're using the new calculator you should be able to get good results.


I mounted mine on a peerless with only one screw going into a wood support and the rest are molly bolts. It's been really sturdy, and the mount is awesome for adjustments.


Now that it's all dialed in, I'm still amazed by the zoom feature. When movie trailers come on it zooms out to fill the screen automagically. Awesome. Even playing games, the cut scenes are always cinemascope-ish while the game play is 16:9. Zooms in and out like a charm. Good luck.


MM


Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchy View Post
The HUGE disappointment though was that I built this room from scratch about a year ago, taking into account the dimensions given by the Panasonic throw distance calculator. ( http://www.panasonic.net/avc/projector/calculator/ )

That tool is whacked! It was no where near where I needed to be. I built in reinforcements between joists to solidly mount the projector at around 13ft like the tool told me to. No wonder I can't get a big enough image at 16:9 and I need to nearly max out the zoom to fill the 2:35 with 2:35 content.
For what I just learned via the much better ProjectorCentral tool, to fill in my 120' Curved 2.35:1 I need to be closer to 16ft out!
Now I need to find a joist close to that distance, but my Peerless mount probably won't be as happy as it is right now.

All in all, so far I am having a blast setting all this up and learning the ropes. I have not tweaked anything yet but out of the box it looked amazing to me!

I'm sure I'll be back asking for some more advice as I try to get my setup ready for prime time.
mtmason is offline  
post #3560 of 3773 Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cw5billwade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchy View Post
Yup, that is precisely what I did. And don't get me wrong, it looks great. 16:9 perfectly centered and as big as it can be. The 2.35 also fills the entire screen perfect. But If I pull up the menu half of it is under the screen. And if I show the blue pattern, I am spilling on all 4 edges by about 2ft. The yellow lines are well outside the frame border. I don't mind it too much since the movie looks so great, but I wonder if this was a common occurrence or was I doing it all wrong.

And like cw5billwade said, I also found out that some movies are 2.40 as well, so I may have to create another memory for that. All my movies are ripped and I play them with XBMC. Sometimes what the description says is not very accurate.

The other interesting thing I found out with playing my DirecTV content. While I have the receiver set to 16:9, there seems to be content that triggers the 2.35 memory slot. For sure I know it happened with a movie trailer being advertised. But I swear I saw a regular commercial kick it in as well. Not bad, just weird to see it happen while watching regular TV. I never knew DirecTV could push 2.35 content or the receiver play it. I have to see if I can watch a DirecTV movie on a regular channel like TNTHD and see if the projector goes into 2.35. That'd be awesome.
To explain what you are seeing all images are 16x9 even the 2.35:1 it is 16x9 image with black lines projected at top and bottom so when you bring up the blue pattern it is 16x9 projecting at the larger image you zoomed out to. Some menus are 16x9 so they may be off screen when zoomed out to 2.40:1. Sounds like you have it dialed in ok
ellisr63 likes this.
cw5billwade is online now  
post #3561 of 3773 Old 09-08-2014, 04:57 AM
Newbie
 
Winchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
To explain what you are seeing all images are 16x9 even the 2.35:1 it is 16x9 image with black lines projected at top and bottom so when you bring up the blue pattern it is 16x9 projecting at the larger image you zoomed out to. Some menus are 16x9 so they may be off screen when zoomed out to 2.40:1. Sounds like you have it dialed in ok
Correct. Because I maxed out the image at 16:9 (read no black lines on top), the 2.35 had a lot of black, top and sides, and I wanted to make full use of the 120ft diagonal 2:35:1 screen so I zoomed until it did fill everything in. No image spills. Just perfect! BUT, when I go and check the blue pattern with the yellow lines, that is spilling over by 2ft or so feet in all directions, telling me I zoomed way too much. But again, the image is just perfect. Of course the only problem is with the menu. Most prompts fall outside the screen and with my back wall being pure black to it is hard to know what I'm doing. But other than that, I am very happy with this unit.

So like you said, maybe the menu is designed for 16:9 and this is bound to happen on a 2.35:1 with the zoom?
Winchy is offline  
post #3562 of 3773 Old 09-08-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cw5billwade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 129
It is 16x9 remember that is the native format of all PJs so it is like playing a movie on the TV where you have the bars top and bottom. It is just PJ is actually projecting the black bars now above and below the screen since you zoomed out

Last edited by cw5billwade; 09-08-2014 at 07:29 AM.
cw5billwade is online now  
post #3563 of 3773 Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
ch1sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchy View Post
Correct. Because I maxed out the image at 16:9 (read no black lines on top), the 2.35 had a lot of black, top and sides, and I wanted to make full use of the 120ft diagonal 2:35:1 screen so I zoomed until it did fill everything in. No image spills. Just perfect! BUT, when I go and check the blue pattern with the yellow lines, that is spilling over by 2ft or so feet in all directions, telling me I zoomed way too much. But again, the image is just perfect. Of course the only problem is with the menu. Most prompts fall outside the screen and with my back wall being pure black to it is hard to know what I'm doing. But other than that, I am very happy with this unit.

So like you said, maybe the menu is designed for 16:9 and this is bound to happen on a 2.35:1 with the zoom?
It seems like you have it setup correctly. I ignored the test pattern and just used a movie to setup the 2.35. If you have auto switching turned on, then yes commercials and movies will also play at 2.35 or whatever. I have mine on because I personally think it's cool when movie trailers play and the screen fills up (friends thought it was awesome during the Super Bowl). If a movie is on TV in 2.35 it should sill up as well, as long as they didn't change it to 1.78.
ch1sox is online now  
post #3564 of 3773 Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Senior Member
 
ch1sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What projector setting do you all use with anamorphic/2.35 movies? I usually use Cinema 2 on a 133". Does anyone use normal or dynamic due to less brightness with the zoom method?
ch1sox is online now  
post #3565 of 3773 Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cw5billwade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I use D-cinema for 2 and normal for 30 12th wide screen light controlled room
cw5billwade is online now  
post #3566 of 3773 Old 09-10-2014, 01:47 AM
Newbie
 
mota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I have problem setting up my projector and hope someone can help me.

My projector is 430 cm from screen and 260 cm from floor, I want to have CIH with 118 cm height. Problem is I also want to have screen end about 70 cm from floor. I got CIH working without using lens shift, but when I move 16:9 picture to correct position I can´t get 2.35:1 high enough. V-AREA POSITION is useless from setting 35 because it starts eating pixels.

Is there a way how to set it up? I could probably buy longer pole (+30 cm) for mount or move it farther away from screen, but only as last possibility.

Thanks in advance

Mota
mota is offline  
post #3567 of 3773 Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 AM
Newbie
 
Winchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
What projector setting do you all use with anamorphic/2.35 movies? I usually use Cinema 2 on a 133". Does anyone use normal or dynamic due to less brightness with the zoom method?
I've only had mine less than a week, so I am still trying them all see which I like best, but so far, I have stuck with Normal mode. I think it renders everything most naturally. As soon as I get a good calibration blue-ray, this is the mode I intend to start with. The others, at least to me, seem either too dull or too compensated. I am running Eco mode too on my light controlled room.

Last edited by Winchy; 09-10-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Winchy is offline  
post #3568 of 3773 Old 09-10-2014, 05:09 AM
Newbie
 
Winchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mota View Post
Hi,

I have problem setting up my projector and hope someone can help me.

My projector is 430 cm from screen and 260 cm from floor, I want to have CIH with 118 cm height. Problem is I also want to have screen end about 70 cm from floor. I got CIH working without using lens shift, but when I move 16:9 picture to correct position I can´t get 2.35:1 high enough. V-AREA POSITION is useless from setting 35 because it starts eating pixels.

Is there a way how to set it up? I could probably buy longer pole (+30 cm) for mount or move it farther away from screen, but only as last possibility.

Thanks in advance

Mota
Sounds a lot like I just went through. I had no choice but to move the pj 3ft back. I am at 17ft from the screen now. Still end up utilizing a lot of the zoom for the 2.35:1 setup. I am also very aware of the issue with the V-Area. I had to do a lot of playing around once I had fitted the image to take most of the screen. There is a point where it starts to "cut-off" instead of moving the frame. I guess you just have to play with it for while. But again, for me, it was key to move the mount as far back as I could.
Winchy is offline  
post #3569 of 3773 Old 09-10-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,628
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 702
rebate check was mailed on 9/4 should get it today hopfully!! wooo

my peerless mount came in today as well, and all the material to build my spandex AT screen is purchased...gonna be a fun night

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #3570 of 3773 Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cr136124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
rebate check was mailed on 9/4 should get it today hopfully!! wooo

my peerless mount came in today as well, and all the material to build my spandex AT screen is purchased...gonna be a fun night
Pics or didn't happen................
ellisr63 likes this.
cr136124 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off