Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 123 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3661 of 3671 Old 10-14-2014, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxle View Post
Hmm, that sucks.

Does it look better or worse than the pictures of my old one in ... and ... ?

I don't know but they might accept it under warranty after all.

I think I am going to call them and ask what their standard for warranty service is--i.e. how much mis-convergence is considered acceptable. My setup is pretty much exactly like yours (ceiling mount, 12' throw, etc.) and the issue is worst at the bottom of the screen as well.
Interesting, yours is a little different from mine. You appear to have like 1px green / 1px red offset, with some blurring on the worse side up to maybe 2px?
I have something like 1px green / 2-3px red / 3-4px blue offset, with the latter two in opposite direction to the green. My worst blurring is maybe 5px in the bottom corners. Top of my screen is more like yours. Initial impression is that mine is a bit worse. Are those pics from the original unit you had? The one you have now is better?

Starting to think this is simply a "luck of the draw" scenario, and I should just live with it rather than go thru the hassle of repair. I do enjoy the projector, my eyes have just been a bit picky when I look at anything in HD. :P

It's a pity considering I've seen cheaper projectors that don't have this problem, though they had much worse "screen door effect". I guess we can't have it all at this price range eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3671 Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikariya View Post
I have something like 1px green / 2-3px red / 3-4px blue offset, with the latter two in opposite direction to the green. My worst blurring is maybe 5px in the bottom corners. Top of my screen is more like yours. Initial impression is that mine is a bit worse. Are those pics from the original unit you had? The one you have now is better?
Yeah, the one I have now is a better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikariya View Post
It's a pity considering I've seen cheaper projectors that don't have this problem, though they had much worse "screen door effect". I guess we can't have it all at this price range eh?
I don't know; I think Panasonic just has terrible quality control.
post #3663 of 3671 Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the info Pyxle.
I have contacted Panasonic here in Australia just to see what they say.
If they claim it's within tolerable limits then I won't bother pushing further.
Only reason I cared to try with this one is coz it cost close to US$3k in my currency and it'll have to last me a few years.
ellievsir likes this.
post #3664 of 3671 Old 10-15-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 460
I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer. A couple of things I have noticed with the projector and cannot find anyway of adjusting

1. I had a similar problem on my TV till I fixed it. I believe the newer TV's with the 120hz and 240hz refresh rates give the soap opera effect. I notice that the projector gives this soap opera effect. With my TV I could fix this, but I cannot find anything similar in the PJ menu. Anybody else get this? Any way to adjust this in the menu?

2. The screen seems really jittery. My wife says it makes her feel sick. The screen really seems to move around allot like the camera man is jumping up and down. That is the best way to explain it. Again, anybody notice this?

I know one thing, I am really looking forward to seeing 120" screen TV's
post #3665 of 3671 Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Dave,

There is a setting in the menus for Panasonic's frame creation engine. Mode1 is default - which is a slight 'soap opera effect'. Mode 3 is crazy intense soap opera effect. Off is what you want if you don't like the effect. FYI - it looks better in 3d with the setting to Mode1 (default) - IMO.

The jittery aspect you are talking about is very much movie dependant in my observation. Many of today's movies are handheld camera. With a HUGE screen size that camera style is hard to track. You can prove its the screen size by just shrinking the zoom and watching the same film at a smaller size. That effect won't bother you when you shrink it. If you don't believe it - try it yourself. Shrink you image to 70" across (like a big HDTV) and watch the same scenes... At any rate you wil get used to it, and it'll stop bothering you on all but the worst of these 'shaky cam' camera style movies. It is PURELY a product of screen size in my opinion. I made a post about that effect here and have since learned more about it by experiementing.

FWIW - I had NO problem with this on a 106" 16x9, when I went to a 144" 2.35:1 screen I can almost get sick watching a shaky cam movie like Man of Steel.

shaky cam film style on a big CIH screen is awful!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #3666 of 3671 Old 10-16-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Dave,

There is a setting in the menus for Panasonic's frame creation engine. Mode1 is default - which is a slight 'soap opera effect'. Mode 3 is crazy intense soap opera effect. Off is what you want if you don't like the effect. FYI - it looks better in 3d with the setting to Mode1 (default) - IMO.

The jittery aspect you are talking about is very much movie dependant in my observation. Many of today's movies are handheld camera. With a HUGE screen size that camera style is hard to track. You can prove its the screen size by just shrinking the zoom and watching the same film at a smaller size. That effect won't bother you when you shrink it. If you don't believe it - try it yourself. Shrink you image to 70" across (like a big HDTV) and watch the same scenes... At any rate you wil get used to it, and it'll stop bothering you on all but the worst of these 'shaky cam' camera style movies. It is PURELY a product of screen size in my opinion. I made a post about that effect here and have since learned more about it by experiementing.

FWIW - I had NO problem with this on a 106" 16x9, when I went to a 144" 2.35:1 screen I can almost get sick watching a shaky cam movie like Man of Steel.

shaky cam film style on a big CIH screen is awful!
Thank you sir. I do believe you, I figured most of the problems were in the film and going to a bigger screen. Just wanted to check to see if this was a problem or just something with a bigger screen. It really does not bother me, but trying to keep the wife happy. Still a noob to the PJ. I am more so bothered with the soap opera effect. I remember having that problem on a TV I bought years ago and it drove me nuts. I was ready to get rid of it till I found out how to adjust it. I think setting it to "clear" fixed it on my older Samsung.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 10-16-2014 at 07:27 AM.
post #3667 of 3671 Old 10-17-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Thank you sir. I do believe you, I figured most of the problems were in the film and going to a bigger screen. Just wanted to check to see if this was a problem or just something with a bigger screen. It really does not bother me, but trying to keep the wife happy. Still a noob to the PJ. I am more so bothered with the soap opera effect. I remember having that problem on a TV I bought years ago and it drove me nuts. I was ready to get rid of it till I found out how to adjust it. I think setting it to "clear" fixed it on my older Samsung.
Agree the "soap opera effect" is horrible, I just don't understand why all manufacturers seem to think it's a good idea to have excessive image processing on by default... color / sharpness adjustments as well. When I walk into a store and look at the TV's all I see are smeared cartoony lines and colors, and motion artifacts.

Thankfully I find Panasonic to be less aggressive on this compared to Samsung.

You may have already done this but for movies be sure to run your Blu-Ray player output at 24P (that's normally OFF by default) for the most authentic cinema look. You'll know it's in that mode as when the disc plays the projector will display "24P" in the top right corner. Without that, it's possible your player is introducing the effect.

Having said all that - on this projector I've had to leave "Mode 1" frame creation ON. I wish I didn't have to, but for some reason without it the motion looks really jittery. Something to do with the LCD panel response times perhaps? My 4 year old Panasonic plasma HDTV however looks *much* better with all frame creation switched OFF.
post #3668 of 3671 Old 10-17-2014, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I setup my 8000 projector and was ready to watch a 3D movie. I also have the Panasonic 3D glasses. I am projecting onto a Seymour 130" A.T. 2.37 screen. When watching 3D I noticed the 3D wasn't quite 3D... Umm, meaning there wasn't a lot of depth or much 3D at all. When watching IMAX "oceans ??? or similar the 3D was NOT coming out into my basement. When watching the same movie in 3D on my TV my kids put there hands out to touch the fish which appear "in the room". I then tired some other 3D movies and compared them to my TV. My TV is 90% better for 3D compared to my projector. The only reason I give the projector 10% is due to screen size. lol
The 3D is basically NON EXISTENT. I may as well watch the movies in 2D.
Any ideas or adjustments? is it the screen, the source, the projector, the glasses??? I was playing the movie via my p.c. as an iso. but I can connect a 3D blu ray player and use the actual disc. Im not sure "why" it would matter. But as a test, I'll try anything.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #3669 of 3671 Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Okay, I am trying to mount this projector and I have a few questions. How far below the top of the screen does the center of the projector lens need to be? This chart just has me even more confused

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/p...positions.html

I will be running a 100" 2.35:1 Seymour screen with the projector mounted about 15' from the screen.

Paradigm v.5 speakers: Studio 100s - Fronts, Studio CC-690 - Center , ADP-590s - Surround.
Pardigm V.4 speakers: Studio 20s - Rear Surround, Sub12
Pre/Pro - Yamaha CX-A5000, AMP - Yamaha MX-A5000
TV - Samsung UNDF658000
post #3670 of 3671 Old 10-18-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
I setup my 8000 projector and was ready to watch a 3D movie. I also have the Panasonic 3D glasses. I am projecting onto a Seymour 130" A.T. 2.37 screen. When watching 3D I noticed the 3D wasn't quite 3D... Umm, meaning there wasn't a lot of depth or much 3D at all. When watching IMAX "oceans ??? or similar the 3D was NOT coming out into my basement. When watching the same movie in 3D on my TV my kids put there hands out to touch the fish which appear "in the room". I then tired some other 3D movies and compared them to my TV. My TV is 90% better for 3D compared to my projector. The only reason I give the projector 10% is due to screen size. lol
The 3D is basically NON EXISTENT. I may as well watch the movies in 2D.
Any ideas or adjustments? is it the screen, the source, the projector, the glasses??? I was playing the movie via my p.c. as an iso. but I can connect a 3D blu ray player and use the actual disc. Im not sure "why" it would matter. But as a test, I'll try anything.
Yes try the player my grand children jump for the bobbles the minions blow in the credits. I thought in Gravity space junk was going to take my head off
post #3671 of 3671 Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Make sure the screen size settings are set correctly on both your bluray player and the projector. It makes a big difference. My ps3 on the 8000 3d has excellent popout on good 3d movies like avatar, and gravity.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page