Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 133 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Display Devices > Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version)

Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

impetigo's Avatar impetigo
12:22 PM Liked: 27
post #3961 of 4224
01-11-2015 | Posts: 614
Joined: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
This is strange...I really don't remember a "setting" on the PJ for 1.85:1 AR. I guess I would start over and make sure the 1.78:1 is lined up correctly on the screen and saved to lens memory. I have 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.00:1, 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 all saved to lens memory in my set-up...
Thanks for your help! I checked Raising Arizona again and it does show the thin black bars (proper 1.85:1 aspect ratio) with Oppo BD-103 > Panasonic PT AE8000U, and even got the bars with streaming Zero Dark Thirty from Amazon Instant Video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
not all titles are marked correctly on the video make sure you get a true 16x9 (1.78:1) like Avatar and use it to save the 16X9 image. On my screen which is constant image area 2.0:1 126" wide x 65" tall there is a difference if sees the 1.85:1 image as a 16x9 and automaticly adjust to that format then I have a one inch black bar top and bottom. I saved a 1.85:1 screen format and need to change it manually which gives me an extra 4" wide.

126"x52" 2.40:1 with 136" diag, 6 12" bars top and bottom
126"x54" 2.35:1 with 137" diag, 5 1/2" bars top and bottom
120"x65" 1.85:1 with 137" diag, (man this size make it like being there) 3" bars both sides
116"x65" 16x9 with 133" diag. 5" bars both sides
Seems like you're both right in that the listed AR is not always correct. For Swingers, it's actually not correct on the blu-ray info (1.85:1 on the packaging but actually 1.78:1), but Raising Arizona displays properly on my Sony UHD, Samsung Full HD, and AE8000U. It seems blu-ray is still the most reliable way to get a 1.85:1 AR to display since streaming services (Netflix particularly) often show 1.78:1.

Thanks to you both!
m3chris's Avatar m3chris
10:36 PM Liked: 10
post #3962 of 4224
01-11-2015 | Posts: 117
Joined: Oct 2008
New owner, I'm wondering if I may have hdmi handshake issues?

On PS4 everything works great until you choose dvd. Screen goes blue and you just see all the possible inputs on the screen. Music from DVD plays through the onkyo. If I switch source then back it works and I have picture. If I was to go back into the ps4 menu stop then start the movie I would lose picture again.

My previous ptax 200u Panasonic projector works fantastic. Hdmi cables stayed the same, receiver also. Only thing new is the 8000.

Sometimes when switching back to dish network the picture will fire up and other times the same, just audio and blue picture.

Any thoughts?
cw5billwade's Avatar cw5billwade
07:45 AM Liked: 158
post #3963 of 4224
01-12-2015 | Posts: 1,693
Joined: Aug 2011
there is a setting to turn off autodetect HDMI source so if you are using HDMI 1 it stays there. Your PS4 must be going blank prior to playing and the Panny is losing the HDMI signal long enough to start searching. Turn it off.
brwsaw's Avatar brwsaw
11:44 PM Liked: 104
post #3964 of 4224
01-12-2015 | Posts: 762
Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxle View Post
One thing I have discovered with this projector re. focus.

If you can't get the focus perfect in both directions, you want to at least get one of the directions to be perfect (ideally horizontal, since there are more pixels in that direction), rather than try to split the difference. This looks a lot sharper to my eye overall even though vertical focus is softer.
I wasn't aware that it could be adjusted this way. I will look at this a bit closer.Thanks.
quamosa's Avatar quamosa
08:53 PM Liked: 40
post #3965 of 4224
01-13-2015 | Posts: 277
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For anyone interested the Sony PS3 3D glasses are sale right now at amazon. This is about as cheap as they've been that I've seen. They work very well on the Panasonic AE8000.
Thanks for the heads up! I ordered 4 of them tonight.
ChldsPlay's Avatar ChldsPlay
09:11 AM Liked: 28
post #3966 of 4224
01-14-2015 | Posts: 495
Joined: Dec 2006
I am sure this has been brought up on this thread before, but it would take me a while to find it with a search, I think. I am nearing the time where I will have to mount my projector. I know some projectors need to be mounted so that the lens is at least as low as the top of the screen to do the zoom method. I am pretty sure that I have seen that is not necessarily the case with the 8000. How close to the top of the screen do I need to get? Are there any adjustments to settings I need to make? I'd rather keep it as close to the ceiling as possible as it will be over a seating area that is on a riser. I think the top of the screen will be 11-12" below the ceiling (counting the soffit), and that there it will be down a few inches from the ceiling from the mount itself.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg
09:17 AM Liked: 1088
post #3967 of 4224
01-14-2015 | Posts: 4,653
Joined: Feb 2002
in my experience, the lense needs to be at or below the top of the screen in order for the auto switching to work

I had to drop my PJ down buying an extender for my mount due to this exact thing
Archaea's Avatar Archaea
09:41 AM Liked: 1084
post #3968 of 4224
01-14-2015 | Posts: 7,155
Joined: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I am sure this has been brought up on this thread before, but it would take me a while to find it with a search, I think. I am nearing the time where I will have to mount my projector. I know some projectors need to be mounted so that the lens is at least as low as the top of the screen to do the zoom method. I am pretty sure that I have seen that is not necessarily the case with the 8000. How close to the top of the screen do I need to get? Are there any adjustments to settings I need to make? I'd rather keep it as close to the ceiling as possible as it will be over a seating area that is on a riser. I think the top of the screen will be 11-12" below the ceiling (counting the soffit), and that there it will be down a few inches from the ceiling from the mount itself.
It's actually a range that can be calculated using term descriptions on page 22, and the chart on page 23 of the manual (Page 23, which is when you have a cinema scope screen and plan to use 16x9/2.35:1 autoswitching).

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/549...page=23#manual

Generally speaking - the projector needs to be approximately within the frame of the projector screen in my experience as well --- if ceiling mounted. I think you have a little grace, but not that much, and some of the limitation depends on screen size.

If I understand correctly the Panasonic unit is ideally mounted in the exact center of the screen in regards to height, which would allow you to use the built in shutter masking function (which isn't necessary) but completely eliminates the light output overspray on the 2.35 zoom mode -- when/if you can manage to mount the projector at that ideal height.
ChldsPlay's Avatar ChldsPlay
11:28 AM Liked: 28
post #3969 of 4224
01-14-2015 | Posts: 495
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's actually a range that can be calculated using term descriptions on page 22, and the chart on page 23 of the manual (Page 23, which is when you have a cinema scope screen and plan to use 16x9/2.35:1 autoswitching).

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/549...page=23#manual

Generally speaking - the projector needs to be approximately within the frame of the projector screen in my experience as well --- if ceiling mounted. I think you have a little grace, but not that much, and some of the limitation depends on screen size.

If I understand correctly the Panasonic unit is ideally mounted in the exact center of the screen in regards to height, which would allow you to use the built in shutter masking function (which isn't necessary) but completely eliminates the light output overspray on the 2.35 zoom mode -- when/if you can manage to mount the projector at that ideal height.
If I understand the chart correctly, I have a 131" diagonal screen, which would fall in between the 120 and 150" listed. So, the H range would be between -.6 and 1.79m, and -.75 and 2.24m. Just going by the lower of the two ranges, that would be about 24 inches below the screen bottom to 70.5" above the screen bottom. If my screen is 51" tall, then I should be able to go up to 19" above the top of the screen? That seems like a lot more wiggle room than I would expect. Am I reading the chart incorrectly?
cw5billwade's Avatar cw5billwade
02:32 PM Liked: 158
post #3970 of 4224
01-14-2015 | Posts: 1,693
Joined: Aug 2011
2.35:1 screen? makes a differance as the PJ is always a 16x9 image just in 2.35:1 you are projecting black bars above and below the screen. like everyone else states there is some play but the closer you are to the top of the screen the better you will be.
ChldsPlay's Avatar ChldsPlay
03:12 PM Liked: 28
post #3971 of 4224
01-14-2015 | Posts: 495
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
2.35:1 screen? makes a differance as the PJ is always a 16x9 image just in 2.35:1 you are projecting black bars above and below the screen. like everyone else states there is some play but the closer you are to the top of the screen the better you will be.
Yeah, 2.35. I am guessing it would be about 5-6" above the top of the screen if I used no extension from the ceiling. That would be maybe 57" from the bottom of the screen.
Dominic Chan
07:38 PM Liked: 0
post #3972 of 4224
01-14-2015 | Posts: 5
Joined: Dec 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
If my screen is 51" tall, then I should be able to go up to 19" above the top of the screen? That seems like a lot more wiggle room than I would expect. Am I reading the chart incorrectly?
The chart shows the range in H that would allow you to position the image in the desired screen area. However, if the objective is to use Lens Memory settings to display 16:9 and 2.35:1 properly without manually re-adjusting the vertical lens shift, the range in H would be much narrower than shown in the chart.

In my setting with a 120" diagonal screen and the projector 13' from the screen, the projector can be no higher than the top of the screen for Lens Memory to work properly.
cw5billwade's Avatar cw5billwade
07:11 AM Liked: 158
post #3973 of 4224
01-15-2015 | Posts: 1,693
Joined: Aug 2011
you may be ok just get a mount like my perless that alows you to do either methond. I just went to Lows and got plumbing suplies and usde them for my ceiling mount and drop rod. The perless screwed right to the drop rod no issue. You can always mout to the ceiling and get a drop rod if it does not work out.



ChldsPlay's Avatar ChldsPlay
09:16 AM Liked: 28
post #3974 of 4224
01-15-2015 | Posts: 495
Joined: Dec 2006
Yeah, being able to make it lower isn't a problem, I was just hoping to avoid it if I could for reasons of headroom. I don't think there will be a problem if it's lower, but would have more peace of mind if I could keep it higher.
Metallus2000's Avatar Metallus2000
01:39 PM Liked: 27
post #3975 of 4224
01-18-2015 | Posts: 48
Joined: May 2013
I am looking for a good(adjustable) mount for my 8000, any recommendations?


Thanks


Ken
compaddict's Avatar compaddict
01:42 PM Liked: 12
post #3976 of 4224
01-18-2015 | Posts: 91
Joined: Apr 2008
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Nice mount!
temestos
04:04 AM Liked: 0
post #3977 of 4224
01-19-2015 | Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 2015
Hi Guys,

I just purchased my PT-AT6000E about a month ago. Just amazing device, specially when my previous one was PT-AX200E, huge improvement (naturally).

But I noticed now that there is a little bit brighter horizontal pixel line just in the bottom and top of the image. When viewing from 2-3 meters distance it is not that visible but it is seen closer more easily.

I see this brighter line only when viewing something that has black bars and not filling my whole 16:9 screen. I tried to detect it by checking out a movie that fills the whole screen, but did not see it. So maybe only visible in some aspect ratio. Also not seen if there is black or dark colors, only against bright scenes.

Then for my surprise, when I launched a bluray on a 32" lcd tv, and when I inspected the image from close, I detected the same kind of brighter pixel line. It was just not that visible as on the big screen.

So I started to suspect, maybe this is something common in LCD displays? Or is it something that definitely should not be there and I should get my projector fixed.

I attached an image about the brighter pixel line. Please note that I added a lot of more brightness so the line is more visible and you get the picture what I mean. In real life, it is not that visible to eye.
Attached: bright_line.jpg (226.0 KB) 
brianhoakes's Avatar brianhoakes
11:08 AM Liked: 10
post #3978 of 4224
01-20-2015 | Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 2014
Question..

I am looking at getting a 140 wide 2.35 center stage xd screen from Seymour AV along with the PT-AE8000 for Lens memory function (zoom method)
I will be sitting 14-15 feet back. This is going in a open basement floorplan with only two windows 25 feet away from screen wall. I will be watching 20-30% Directv and the rest movies.. gaming etc. I am told this screen has a gain of 1

If my math is correct it will give me just shy of 106 inch wide 16x9 screen when I put the masking panels up for watching TV and none scope material.

It looks like the projector will have to be just above my head at least (15.9 feet back) to zoom to 140wide for scope viewing..

does anyone here see an issue with this set up. Will the projector be bright enough with some lights on away from the screen?

Thanks everyone !
cw5billwade's Avatar cw5billwade
08:50 AM Liked: 158
post #3979 of 4224
01-21-2015 | Posts: 1,693
Joined: Aug 2011
For the Center Stage XD you can use a gain of 1.3 in PJ Centeral calucator. I have 126" wide at 17' throw win no issues you would need to have total light control which means curtans on thoes windows. Others have screens that wide.
asoofi1's Avatar asoofi1
09:28 AM Liked: 207
post #3980 of 4224
01-21-2015 | Posts: 1,171
Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhoakes View Post
Question..

I am looking at getting a 140 wide 2.35 center stage xd screen from Seymour AV along with the PT-AE8000 for Lens memory function (zoom method)
I will be sitting 14-15 feet back. This is going in a open basement floorplan with only two windows 25 feet away from screen wall. I will be watching 20-30% Directv and the rest movies.. gaming etc. I am told this screen has a gain of 1

If my math is correct it will give me just shy of 106 inch wide 16x9 screen when I put the masking panels up for watching TV and none scope material.

It looks like the projector will have to be just above my head at least (15.9 feet back) to zoom to 140wide for scope viewing..

does anyone here see an issue with this set up. Will the projector be bright enough with some lights on away from the screen?

Thanks everyone !
I got a 176" 2.35 Elite Acousticpro2 from Amazon...really like so far. Very stable, well made, and easy to assemble within 1-2hrs. Even comes with black AT backing. Saved over $1300 over the Seymour option. One friend also bought the Elite and he ran into some moire on his particular screen...he contacted Elite and they took care of him by sending him a replacement with their acousticpro3 4k version material...so service is great too.

I'm throwing from about 17' ft away and the 2.35 image is about 6" short of filling the screen. I plan to move the rear wall back 6' ft, so the pj will mount back 1-2' to remedy the fill. 16:9 image fills just fine. Lens memory working great on the pj too...love the auto detect feature, so adjustment happens on it's own within a few seconds.

I can have rear 2 can lights on above MLP and image is definitely watchable.
ellisr63's Avatar ellisr63
09:30 AM Liked: 272
post #3981 of 4224
01-21-2015 | Posts: 2,334
Joined: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhoakes View Post
Question..

I am looking at getting a 140 wide 2.35 center stage xd screen from Seymour AV along with the PT-AE8000 for Lens memory function (zoom method)
I will be sitting 14-15 feet back. This is going in a open basement floorplan with only two windows 25 feet away from screen wall. I will be watching 20-30% Directv and the rest movies.. gaming etc. I am told this screen has a gain of 1

If my math is correct it will give me just shy of 106 inch wide 16x9 screen when I put the masking panels up for watching TV and none scope material.

It looks like the projector will have to be just above my head at least (15.9 feet back) to zoom to 140wide for scope viewing..

does anyone here see an issue with this set up. Will the projector be bright enough with some lights on away from the screen?

Thanks everyone !
If you look here in my build thread you can see what a 180" scope screen(width) looks with a 185" (diagonal) 2.40 image with the lights on. It is not real bright but it is def viewable. When the lights are off the picture looks much brighter.
fotto's Avatar fotto
10:42 AM Liked: 19
post #3982 of 4224
01-21-2015 | Posts: 1,880
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
For the Center Stage XD you can use a gain of 1.3 in PJ Centeral calucator. I have 126" wide at 17' throw win no issues you would need to have total light control which means curtans on thoes windows. Others have screens that wide.
I have a diy Center Stage XD at 2.35:1, 120" wide and am considering upgrading to the AE8000 from an AE4000. My throw is 17'. I recently got a Colormunki meter and am only getting around 9 fL image brightness in normal mode with the AE4000 (and only 800 hours on bulb). At the time I originally settled on this combination Projector Central calculator gave me estimate of 12-13 ftL for this set up

Have you by chance taken any screen fL readings with your set-up as it sounds very close to mine and would be interested in that?

Also, is there reference you could link to the XD having 1.3 gain for proj calc? I thought that their measured value of 1.2 on their website was argued at one point, but I haven't been keeping up.
brianhoakes's Avatar brianhoakes
11:48 AM Liked: 10
post #3983 of 4224
01-21-2015 | Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 2014
Thanks so much for the feedback ! I will check out those other screens !

Wow that 180 is huge - you ever sit in front row ? what ftl is needed for a solid looking image ?
Thanks

I need to get the screen locked down I can frame for the inwall Triad (silvers)
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach
02:26 PM Liked: 164
post #3984 of 4224
01-21-2015 | Posts: 2,752
Joined: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
One friend also bought the Elite and he ran into some moire on his particular screen...he contacted Elite and they took care of him by sending him a replacement with their acousticpro3 4k version material...so service is great too.
asoofi1, I really, REALLY appreciate that you posted this...

I received an Elite screen for Christmas and was amazed at the value coming from a DIY AT screen using CenterStage XD material. After a couple of weeks, I started to notice the weave or more to the point, moire in bright scenes. I was so bummed as once you see it, you can't "not see it" now. Of course, I never had a problem with my old screen material. What is funny is I have a good friend with the same PJ & screen and I don't see the problem in his room even from a closer distance.

I was thinking about sending it back to Amazon but I like the size of the new screen and never thought to contact Elite. I just contacted them and they are going to take care of me with the upgraded material!!!

Thanks again!
asoofi1's Avatar asoofi1
02:36 PM Liked: 207
post #3985 of 4224
01-21-2015 | Posts: 1,171
Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
asoofi1, I really, REALLY appreciate that you posted this...

I received an Elite screen for Christmas and was amazed at the value coming from a DIY AT screen using CenterStage XD material. After a couple of weeks, I started to notice the weave or more to the point, moire in bright scenes. I was so bummed as once you see it, you can't "not see it" now. Of course, I never had a problem with my old screen material. What is funny is I have a good friend with the same PJ & screen and I don't see the problem in his room even from a closer distance.

I was thinking about sending it back to Amazon but I like the size of the new screen and never thought to contact Elite. I just contacted them and they are going to take care of me with the upgraded material!!!

Thanks again!
That's great to hear...I think you'll be very happy with the new material. You shouldn't be able to see the weave from more than 2-3 feet. Keep us posted.
ellisr63's Avatar ellisr63
05:21 PM Liked: 272
post #3986 of 4224
01-21-2015 | Posts: 2,334
Joined: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhoakes View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback ! I will check out those other screens !

Wow that 180 is huge - you ever sit in front row ? what ftl is needed for a solid looking image ?
Thanks

I need to get the screen locked down I can frame for the inwall Triad (silvers)
I sit in the front sometimes, but mainly I sit in the second row on top of the sub. Most of our friends prefer the front row though.
cw5billwade's Avatar cw5billwade
07:08 AM Liked: 158
post #3987 of 4224
01-22-2015 | Posts: 1,693
Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post
I have a diy Center Stage XD at 2.35:1, 120" wide and am considering upgrading to the AE8000 from an AE4000. My throw is 17'. I recently got a Colormunki meter and am only getting around 9 fL image brightness in normal mode with the AE4000 (and only 800 hours on bulb). At the time I originally settled on this combination Projector Central calculator gave me estimate of 12-13 ftL for this set up

Have you by chance taken any screen fL readings with your set-up as it sounds very close to mine and would be interested in that?

Also, is there reference you could link to the XD having 1.3 gain for proj calc? I thought that their measured value of 1.2 on their website was argued at one point, but I haven't been keeping up.
Sorry I answered this yesterday on my mobil but I do not see the post. I do not have measering equipment. The information on the 1.2 to 1.3 gain came from a conservation I was having with Chriss on the offical center stage XD thread prior to my purchase. With total light control I use either REC 709 or D Cinema with fan in eco. REC 709 may be a tad to dark but it has better colors IMO. for 3 D watching or TV with lights on then I use normal with fan on normal. There is plently of light. Never used Dynamic the highest setting as it is not needed.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg
07:13 AM Liked: 1088
post #3988 of 4224
01-22-2015 | Posts: 4,653
Joined: Feb 2002
cinema 2 on eso..is my choice...incredible picture on my 130" 2.35 spandex screen....total light controlled blacked out room
blue dragon's Avatar blue dragon
06:57 AM Liked: 23
post #3989 of 4224
01-23-2015 | Posts: 68
Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
cinema 2 on eso..is my choice...incredible picture on my 130" 2.35 spandex screen....total light controlled blacked out room
I use Cinema 2 as well, on my center stage XD screen
brianhoakes's Avatar brianhoakes
10:38 AM Liked: 10
post #3990 of 4224
01-23-2015 | Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 2014
Just pulled the trigger on this projector will be going 140XD with the Masking panels (I went with Non AT panels) going to move my speakers in 19" or so -

thanks for all your feedback ... BTW bought through a large dealer this morning online before they opened and there was a price drop on the 8000 today ! they notified me of the price drop. I was expecting to be pitched a extended warranty etc.... no funny business just good old customer service .. very refreshing ....

Thanks All !!!
Tags: Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Gear in this thread
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3