Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 139 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 4393 Old 02-12-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
I purchased my 8000 from Amazon on release and when I found out that Amazon wasn't on the "approved" dealers list, I contacted Amazon about warranty coverage from Panasonic and they assured me Panasonic would honor the warranty. I needed warranty service and had zero problems dealing with Panasonic and their national support center located in Kansas.
great info! wish I had known this I would have used my amazon account to buy one...oh well..

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4393 Old 02-12-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersp78 View Post
I don't think that is the issue. The fabric I got from JoAnn's was some sort of blackout cloth. I bought it after recommendations from this forum way back then. Behind the screen is just the wall which is painted a dark gray/blue color. I fired up my old project (Panasonic PT-L500U) and you can see from these images using the same source material I think it is definitely the projector and not the screen. Contacted Projector People and they are going to review my pics.
If the diffraction isn't caused by the screen (which blackout material should be fine), then you may have some haze somewhere in the optical path. Perhaps sending it in for a professional cleaning would help.

Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #4143 of 4393 Old 02-12-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
I purchased my 8000 from Amazon on release and when I found out that Amazon wasn't on the "approved" dealers list, I contacted Amazon about warranty coverage from Panasonic and they assured me Panasonic would honor the warranty. I needed warranty service and had zero problems dealing with Panasonic and their national support center located in Kansas.
I bought an AVR from a large chain retailer, but bought it through Amazon. I decided I did not want the AVR and called to get my money back and they said I could not return it. Then she realized I bought it through Amazon and she then said I would be able to do a full cash refund as I bought it through Amazon? Amazon is big!!
laugsbach and old corps like this.
post #4144 of 4393 Old 02-12-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Yep. Unfortunately that is what I had it in most of the time. Tried changed it to Normal mode, tried resetting the projector a couple of times. Nothing seems to fix it. Guess I will be contacting Projector People tomorrow. I have had it a week though so I am passed their 10 hour mark. So I take it that means they won't do the exchange and will have to go through Panasonic??
Talked w/ Projector People today and they said 30 days and four hours.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #4145 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hmmm... better do all your calibration and testing quick. 4 hours goes by fast.

I don't get my 8000 delivered until Monday, but the 8 pairs of PS3 3D glasses I got from Amazon showed up today. For less than $7.50 a pair, I'm really impressed with the construction. It took a little digging for me to figure out that to charge them up, you have to turn their power ON. Hopefully, they take the charge and perform just as well. I have a massive head, and can see what people are talking about with the tightness on the temples. I'll just try the boiling water method to loosen a pair or two up for me.

I have had zero problems with my PT-AE2000 for the last 7 years, so people having problems with their 8000's makes me a bit nervous. Hope I get a good set. (got mine from Projector People too)
post #4146 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For people who upgraded from AE2000, how are you liking the AE8000?
Is it a big difference in PQ or brightness? Happy with the switch?
I'm only talking 2d quality here.
I'm up for a new bulb and wondering if I should just put the $350 toward a new AE8000.

Last edited by FoSheezy; 02-13-2015 at 11:22 AM.
post #4147 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post
I'm up for a new bulb and wondering if I should just put the $350 toward a new AE8000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

At first, with some high def broadcasts, I was a bit concerned, but after watching Thursday night football I think it was just the cable source material on the earlier shows. I've watched an entire 3D movie and the football game and am very pleased with the overall performance. This thing is a light cannon, and I have it on ECO not for lamp conservation or fan noise, but because of the brightness. I haven't tried the various display options yet, and just have it on "normal" for now. I haven't seen any pulsating brightness or other anomalies. I'm used to the AE2000, so that's my point of reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

That was the exact upgrade I made. The AE2000 was a great machine, and I ran it through three lamps (over 12000 hours), but it was time to upgrade. My biggest surprise is the quality of the 3D This is my first experience with home 3D, and I'm amazed at how deep and crisp it looks. I know there are a lot of folks that don't appreciate it, but I'm guessing on a small screen (less than 60"), the effect may not be that great.
There's a lot of people talking about that upgrade in the first few pages of this thread. Seems like it's a pretty huge upgrade from everything I read.
post #4148 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Talked w/ Projector People today and they said 30 days and four hours.
This doesn't apply if the projector is determined to be DOA or Defective upon delivery. Just get in touch with PP and they will make it right.
post #4149 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine seems out of level like the lens needs to be rotated a few degrees, I am a total newb, is there a simple way to adjust the rotation besides using the feet at different heights?
post #4150 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckillion79 View Post
Mine seems out of level like the lens needs to be rotated a few degrees, I am a total newb, is there a simple way to adjust the rotation?
Have you adjusted the feet? They are screw-adjustable. Adjust one or the other to level the PJ if on a table/shelf.

Also, be sure to read your entire owner's manual. Lots of insightful information for your particular PJ.
old corps likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #4151 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Have you adjusted the feet? They are screw-adjustable. Adjust one or the other to level the PJ if on a table/shelf.

Also, be sure to read your entire owner's manual. Lots of insightful information for your particular PJ.
Yes, but it makes the projector sit at a strange awkward angle i don't like...
post #4152 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, but it makes the projector sit at a strange awkward angle i don't like...
Post some pics

gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #4153 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Post some pics
I will when I get a chance, just imagine the left front foot being extended down an inch and the right foot all the way up, that levels the picture out
post #4154 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will when I get a chance, just imagine the left front foot being extended down an inch and the right foot all the way up, that levels the picture out
That's strange to have that much of an angle.

Check the lens cavity...when you unpacked the pj, did you get all of the packing foam out from behind the lens circular cavity? There are like 4-6 small pieces that have to be taken out or they get lodged back in and limit zoom/focus.

post #4155 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
That's strange to have that much of an angle.

Check the lens cavity...when you unpacked the pj, did you get all of the packing foam out from behind the lens circular cavity? There are like 4-6 small pieces that have to be taken out or they get lodged back in and limit zoom/focus.
yes, i just checked again because I just unboxed it tonight. The zoom and focus work great, its just out of rotation. Maybe I just have it to the side of the screen too much (right on the right edge of a 120 inch screen. Does this PJ require you to place it pretty much dead on in the middle?

Last edited by ckillion79; 02-13-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Edit: it doesn't feel like a horizontal keystone issue because both sides of the screen seem to be equal size
post #4156 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yes, i just checked again because I just unboxed it tonight. The zoom and focus work great, its just out of rotation. Maybe I just have it to the side of the screen too much (right on the right edge of a 120 inch screen. Does this PJ require you to place it pretty much dead on in the middle?
First, put pj feet back fully flat...and then adjust up equally to hit the screen dimensions....count the turns if you have to for each side.

If you're offset that much, you can use the lens shift to compensate. Remove the cover on front right and twist to loosen and manually adjust lens. Then lock back at desired setting.

If possible, I recommend placing the pj close as center to screen.

Your owner's manual has more details on the placement limits on how far off you can place the pj. Very useful table of measurements that many ppl overlook without realizing.

post #4157 of 4393 Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 PM

ok i will check that out first, thanks
post #4158 of 4393 Old 02-14-2015, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep. Unfortunately that is what I had it in most of the time. Tried changed it to Normal mode, tried resetting the projector a couple of times. Nothing seems to fix it. Guess I will be contacting Projector People tomorrow. I have had it a week though so I am passed their 10 hour mark. So I take it that means they won't do the exchange and will have to go through Panasonic??
I was the guy that had this issue in the 7000 thread. In my case I had the projector for a long time. I sent it to Panasonic due to a convergence issue and it came back with this problem. I then went through a series of very frustrating cycles with Panasonic. This started in September. I finally filed a complaint with the BBB and they sent me a brand new PT-AE8000U last week. Unfortunately it has the same problem! It started a few hours after I started using the projector. I remembered that with the PT-AE7000U it was alarmingly dim when I first fired it up but within a few hours it became very bright. This projector started out just about right but within a few hours it was way too bright and has this problem. So for this unit I suspect that it is just too bright for my small room. I only have an 80" screen and about 9.5' from the projector to the screen. I have the projector running in eco mode and Rec709. I tried an ND2 filter but it is still fairly bright and it still has the blooming. I tried an ND4 filter and it really killed the brightness but I still see the blooming. I DO NOT want to talk to Panasonic again. I don't have any patience left for that. In a last ditch effort I have been just running the projector constantly and checking on it to see if the situation is changing. The lamp can really shed a lot of brightness in the first couple hundred hours. I have put 150 hours on the lamp in a week. It is not as bad as it was but it is still pretty bad. I'm betting I'll feel even worse about it when I see my utility bill.

I feel your pain with this issue. My picture looks terrible! It is washed out and things like dark clothing display tons of blooming and show no detail. It is not watchable. I am considering taking it to a friends house. He has a much bigger theater room that I set up for him and I would like to see if the issue is resolved in his room. If it is I'm going to try to sell it to him and wash my hands of it. If it still has this problem I'm calling it a loss. I simply can't deal with Panasonic support again. They are terrible. On multiple occasions they called me a liar. When the projector first came back from repair with the blooming problem they told me I would have to pay to fix it if the solution required them to clean the projector. Unbelievable! Whether I can salvage some money from the unit or not I think I'm ready to move on. I'm very close to buying a Sony HW55ES from AVScience.

What is your screen size and how far is the projector from the screen? Let me know if a replacement unit fixes the problem.
post #4159 of 4393 Old 02-14-2015, 04:49 AM

Liked: 13
Love this projector for the money!

Just picked up an i1 Display Pro and HCFR. First time doing my own calibration and will be using the beginner's guide in the HCFR thread.

Any additional tips that are projector specific for me for those that have already done this? Plan on utilizing Rec709 as the mode to start with.

Any tips are appreciated.

Regards,

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xbox Live ID- STRONGBOWSIX
post #4160 of 4393 Old 02-14-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Mine seems out of level like the lens needs to be rotated a few degrees, I am a total newb, is there a simple way to adjust the rotation besides using the feet at different heights?
Is the projector lens square (parallel) to the screen?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (3) MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #4161 of 4393 Old 02-15-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post
I received the AE8000 earlier in the week, and did some preliminary calibrations starting with Cinema1 mode. I am projecting onto a 92" screen approx. 14' away and ceiling mounted. The room can be light controlled, to a certain degree. I have the pj lamp setting set to Eco-Mode. Out of the box the pj was set to the Normal lamp mode, and I noticed it to be quite loud. But since I never ran the AE2000 in Normal mode, I can't say that the AE8000 is any louder or not.

So far I am very pleased with this upgrade. The black level is much deeper, yet still with distinction. The colors are beautiful, and look natural. I have "Detail Clarity" boosted 1 notch, and have increased the horizontal and vertical sharpness by 2 notches, although I'm not sure that's where those settings will finally end up. I'm still playing with the "Frame Creation" mode, and trying to find out what looks more acceptable for what I 'm viewing at that time. My main viewing content is BD, but occasionally I'll stream a show from Netflix or a hockey game, reserving judgement on picture quality of the latter two sources. My wife, who is not really into any of this hobby of mine, actually commented on the picture quality, and we were watching a streamed BBC program from Netflix! Quite a surprise to me.

I have not upgraded my OPPO 83se yet, so I don't have any capability to try out the 3D, although I did purchase a couple of pairs of PS3 glasses when I bought the pj. After reading a post earlier about getting the same glasses from Amazon, for roughly half the price, when the time comes that's where I'll go for any additional glasses we need.

So, so far so good! I for one am happy with the upgrade, and will now try to sell the AE2000. We'll see how that goes.

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #4162 of 4393 Old 02-15-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Here are my issues with my Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector
Slideshow of my focus issue and reddish issue on grayscale calibration images
http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/jv...ector%20Issues

Video of focus issue

I've not had any success in getting warranty service yet, but hopefully armed with these pictures and video I can make it happen. I've called several times and been told it is likely my mounting job (using extreme angles or focus adjustment), or that I have a wall that isn't plum. The reddish tint on grayscale images isn't as bad in person as it shows up on that photo, but my friend who is a THX certified video calibrator said that the red was completely ruining any calibration attempt he could make on the device and I needed to send it back - Panasonic support said that was within tolerance when I sent them the pictures and that I should choose a video mode that didn't show the red so bad. I wasn't that concerened with that because you can't see the reddish on real world content because how often do you have an all gray screen or shades of gray? But the focus issue increasingly annoys me and I'm ready to have it fixed. It's one of those things that once you see it - it bugs you. When I'm watching movies it is unnoticeable, but for games, or PC use, or even some TV (which scores, or tickers, or anything in the bottom right corner - it's not ideal.

I bought mine new from B&H photo back in April of 2014. It should be under warranty for two years, but I've not had even a modicum of success trying to convince Panasonic I have a subpar unit. After multiple calls they always are suggesting something else to try. I did try their last suggestion and determined a shelf mount with the projector right side up would work, because it doesn't use the portion of the lens that seems to have a uniformity issue, but I don't want to use a shelf mount. I bought an expensive ceiling mount and prefer to use my ceiling mount to keep it out of the way. I also know my back wall will vibrate way more than my ceiling because of the bass output by my eight 18" subwoofers. I know this because when bass is playing if I touch the ceiling mount where the projector has been it barely moves, while the back wall is vibrating pretty fiercely. I have no convergence issues with this projector and my convergence tests are 100% true --- so I fear to play the refurb game and get a projector with convergence issues ---- but what I have isn't right --- so I hope Panasonic will make it right. FWIW, Epson had way better customer support than Panasonic so far when I've had to deal with Epson in the past.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 02-15-2015 at 02:46 PM.
post #4163 of 4393 Old 02-16-2015, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
FWIW, Epson had way better customer support than Panasonic so far when I've had to deal with Epson in the past.
It would be hard to beat the Epson support. After owning a refurbished 5010 for a year, my bulb burned out at 550 hrs even though it had only been used on Eco mode for a movie no more than 2-3 times a week, in a cool basement with no pets or smoking in the house, and with the filter being cleaned on a regular basis. Even though the lamp was technically only warrantied for 90-days (since it was a refurb projector), the Epson support rep immediately offered to either send a new lamp, or a replacement projector, shipped 2-day air. I was probably only talking to the tech for about one minute before she offered to send a replacement.

I just replaced my 5010 with the 8000 since I'm using a scope screen, so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that my Panasonic doesn't need any service support! (I was actually planning to go to a JVC, but the wife doesn't want me to spend that much right now.)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________
My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7, Tuba HT
post #4164 of 4393 Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Well, I just finished setting up my "refurb" ae8000 and absolutely could not be happier. I put "refurb" in the parentheses because I have seen new projectors that don't look as nice as this one does. $1150 was a STEAL for this piece. Not only that, the convergence is UNREAL. Sharp as a tack, only needed to adjust one foot to get the picture square on my 158" scope screen. did a quick and dirty calibration with two lens memories for 2.35 and 16x9. LOVE that feature. Ordered a crapload of 3d glasses from Amazon so those should be here Wednesday. Looking forward to trying 3D out.

Did I mention I also have an Epson 5030UB in the same room? I am soooooo torn as to which one I want to keep.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #4165 of 4393 Old 02-16-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Well, I just finished setting up my "refurb" ae8000 and absolutely could not be happier. I put "refurb" in the parentheses because I have seen new projectors that don't look as nice as this one does. $1150 was a STEAL for this piece. Not only that, the convergence is UNREAL. Sharp as a tack, only needed to adjust one foot to get the picture square on my 158" scope screen. did a quick and dirty calibration with two lens memories for 2.35 and 16x9. LOVE that feature. Ordered a crapload of 3d glasses from Amazon so those should be here Wednesday. Looking forward to trying 3D out.

Did I mention I also have an Epson 5030UB in the same room? I am soooooo torn as to which one I want to keep.
Wait.........no pics? C'mon man!

LOL...........just pulling your leg. But, if you have a chance.......yeah, share some pics with the folks here for reference on how your unit is performing.
post #4166 of 4393 Old 02-16-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post

$1150!?!? Where the heck did you find a refurb for that cheap? That's amazing.

I'm super curious to head details about the difference between those two projectors if you have time to do an in-depth comparison.
post #4167 of 4393 Old 02-16-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantPeach View Post
$1150!?!? Where the heck did you find a refurb for that cheap? That's amazing.

I'm super curious to head details about the difference between those two projectors if you have time to do an in-depth comparison.
Panasonic PT-AE8000U 3D Projector Refurb $1150 90 Day Panasonic Factory Warranty

Will shoot a pic of my current "ghetto set up" of dual projectors when i get a chance... Still waiting on my custom table that will house my projector from the Amish...the one that I should have had by xmas....rrrggggghhhh.
post #4168 of 4393 Old 02-17-2015, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well I set my PT-AE8000U up in a bigger room where I could place the projector about 13' away from a wall. The blooming issue is still very visible. This does not seem to be a common problem so I don't know how I could have possibly ended up with this problem on two different units. I have already ordered the Sony HW55ES but I have this unit that is still under warranty and I'm not sure what I want to do. The idea of calling Panasonic again makes me sick to even think about. I'm almost to the point of wanting to void the warranty to open the thing up to just try cleaning everything I can. I don't think it's the panels because all of the colors are blooming. This is definitely the most frustrating experience I've had as a projector owner.
post #4169 of 4393 Old 02-17-2015, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 103
My AE-8000 arrived today. Being that it's winter, I unboxed it and let it sit for 8 hours to warm up to room temperature, and let any humidity inside evaporate.

Hooked it up, turned on, let it warm up for 45 minutes with various material while I did the initial setup configuration. Then started to eval and dial it in. At first, thought I was seeing problems. 2 primary ones, (1) I set the focus using the built-in lens test pattern, and center looked in focus, but bottom not. And (2) thought I was seeing white bloom. Looked like there might be small haze inside the lens front, like condensation. Kept it turned on to let the heat work.

At the 4 hour mark, I was still testing and calibrating and not sure whether there were problems or not. Had to decide whether to go for a return, but I had to give it a chance for calibration, so I kept going. As I worked and the PJ warmed up with time, the image got even better. I'm upgrading from a PT-AE2000 that I've had for the last 7+ years. The 2000 had come out of the box and needed zero calibration--checked multiple times, and it was right on the money. The new 8000, though... wow, it was way off. Used the Spears & Munsil HD calibration disc. Now I have contrast -11, brightness +1, Color -8, Tint +2, color temp +2, Sharpness +2. I think the wrong contrast had contributed to the white bloom.

Now I've got 8 hours on it, and it's looking real good. Here's my initial impressions:
1. Upgrading from the AE2000, this was absolutely worth it and a no-brainer for the $1499 sale price of last couple weeks.
2. Much brighter than the AE-2000
3. Yes, why go back to a shift-adjustment stick? Cheap, and a step backwards, even from my AE-2000
4. Lamp fan was MUCH louder than my AE-2000. But then I put it in Eco mode, and now it's MUCH quieter than the 2000. Fantastic.
5. For some reason, when switching source inputs, the fan kicks into high gear. Really loud. Then drops back into silent Eco mode with new source. Same thing when the 8000 stays on the same HDMI input, but my A/V receiver switches sources it's sending to it.
6. I still occasionally get the sense there is a bit of white bloom, but not quite sure
7. Occasionally, vivid blues and reds also seem to bloom, but not greens. Like on Sports Center, some shots of Kentucky's blue uniforms had bloom.
8. Yes, I had red-push on my gray scale too, which was odd. Putting the color temp at +2 looks right.
9. Oddly, I'm occasionally seeing some tiny motion judder, like there's a 120Hz motion processor trying to smooth out motion. I didn't think the 8000 was 120Hz.
10. 3D looks good. PS3 glasses worked great in the 5 minute demo I did, especially for the $7.50 Amazon price I paid. They're definitely highly rear-reflective, though. In my pitch black enclosed theater, they were still reflecting ambient light from the rear of the room.

Hopefully everything stays in the positive direction as I get it dialed in and get usage time. But happy so far.

Last edited by Chris Dotur; 02-17-2015 at 08:22 AM.
post #4170 of 4393 Old 02-17-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Huh?

In a pitch black theater there should be no ambient light to be reflected. This makes no sense
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ae7000u by PriceGrabber.com