Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4321 of 4610 Old 04-10-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For YEARS I've not been that happy with my HTPC for movie playback, always feeling like the black levels weren't as good as my standalone bluray player for some reason - the standalone bluray players blacks are excellent! Inky Deep Black. I've posted on several boards for help and never figured out a solution.
I'm not sure if you've done this, but one way you can look for a problem like this on the AE8000 is to put in a movie with black bars, then bring up the waveform monitor (there is a button on the remote), go to waveform setting with the the horizontal white line, move that up or down until it is in the area for one of the black bars, and see what the waveform monitor reports for those pixels. If they are either way below or way above the line for video black on the waveform monitor output then something needs adjusting (such as the Brightness control, video levels, etc.).

--Darin
Archaea likes this.

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4610 Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
I'm not sure if you've done this, but one way you can look for a problem like this on the AE8000 is to put in a movie with black bars, then bring up the waveform monitor (there is a button on the remote), go to waveform setting with the the horizontal white line, move that up or down until it is in the area for one of the black bars, and see what the waveform monitor reports for those pixels. If they are either way below or way above the line for video black on the waveform monitor output then something needs adjusting (such as the Brightness control, video levels, etc.).

--Darin

Cool I wasn't familiar with this trick. I'll give it a shot.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #4323 of 4610 Old 04-11-2015, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys.

Ive bought the Panasonic pt ae8000u and im yet to receive the screen so i can use it but im not a techy and as such i dont understand the lens shift function.

Im buying a 150" (diagonal) anamorphic screen.

How does the lens function work when watching a 16:1 versus a 2.35:1 movie?

What if the 2.35:1 movie changes ration partway through like Tron Legacy or The Dark Knight does? Does the lens shift with that?

Does the lens "sebse" a different image ration and change automatically?

Im a little confused about this feature.

Thanks.
post #4324 of 4610 Old 04-11-2015, 07:31 PM

Hi guys.

Ive bought the Panasonic pt ae8000u.

Im using it on a 150" (diagonal) 2.35:1 screen. But its not set up yet.

Im confused with the lens shift feature.

How does it work?

Does the projector sense a 2.35:1 movie and adjust the lens automatically?

What if like in the movies Tron Legacy or The Dark Knight where the ration changes? What happens then? Does the lens shift again?

Im not very techy but really confused by this feature.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
post #4325 of 4610 Old 04-11-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassysimon View Post
Hi guys.

Ive bought the Panasonic pt ae8000u.

Im using it on a 150" (diagonal) 2.35:1 screen. But its not set up yet.

Im confused with the lens shift feature.

How does it work?

Does the projector sense a 2.35:1 movie and adjust the lens automatically?

What if like in the movies Tron Legacy or The Dark Knight where the ration changes? What happens then? Does the lens shift again?

Im not very techy but really confused by this feature.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Lens memory allows you to save various zoom settings, which is only beneficial when you have a 2.35 ratio creen. You will zoom in and make adjustments to set and save 16:9. Then you will zoom out to set and save 2.35 settings. You can also zoom out and save 2.1 settings (Netflix produces in this ratio), along with any other settings you want as you have 7-8 save slots to use if needed.

You can set the pj's to automatically sense and adjust, or keep it manual. For movies like Interstellar, which has far too many ratio shifting, best to manually keep it at 16:9 thru out. The auto sensing can take a few seconds before auto adjusting, and Interstellar just shift between the ratios too fast as almost half the movie is in 16:9. For the Batman movies, there are far less 16:9 scenes, so auto shifting is not much of an issue. For most movies though, you can keep it at 2.35. When you switch to something like youtube, then the auto sensing will just shift it for you.

You should also visit the Panasonic website and download the manual. It will have many details and answer most of your questions as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #4326 of 4610 Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 PM

WOW!!

Thanks for the reply. That helped alot.

Sorry for the double post. its storming here and the net is a bit weird.

Thanks again.
post #4327 of 4610 Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 PM

Oh and just to confirm that i understood correctly.

Once the settings have been made the projector automatically senses the ratio and selects the appropriate preset and zooms in or out respectively?

And that why its best kept on manual whilst watching Interstellar? Because of all the ration changes?

And a few more questions.

Does it flicker when it changes ratios? What does it do between ratio changes in Interstellar?

Are the changes from one ratio to another during a film annoying enough to leave it turned off and watch the film in a fixed ratio?

Thanks alot.
post #4328 of 4610 Old 04-11-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh and just to confirm that i understood correctly.

Once the settings have been made the projector automatically senses the ratio and selects the appropriate preset and zooms in or out respectively?

And that why its best kept on manual whilst watching Interstellar? Because of all the ration changes?

And a few more questions.

Does it flicker when it changes ratios? What does it do between ratio changes in Interstellar?

Are the changes from one ratio to another during a film annoying enough to leave it turned off and watch the film in a fixed ratio?

Thanks alot.
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No flicker. It just zooms in or out smoothly.
4. Majority of movies are fixed at 2.35. You won't have to shift during movies. Nothing worth worrying about. You won't be watching the Batman movies repetitively, so minor times it will shift. Only Interstellar is messed up as far as ratios go, so just watch in 16:9. So besides these 4 movies, you'll be spending most of your time watching other movies which will all have set ratios the entire time.

current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #4329 of 4610 Old 04-11-2015, 10:04 PM

Sweet!

Thanks again.
post #4330 of 4610 Old 04-13-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Hi everyone. I've done quite a few internet searches over the weekend trying to find some kids 3D glasses that will work well with the Panasonic AE8000u.

So far I really haven't felt good about purchasing anything. I have the TY-EW3D3MU glasses which work nice for adults, but my 3 year old wasn't too happy holding her glasses.

Any recommendations?
post #4331 of 4610 Old 04-13-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post
Hi everyone. I've done quite a few internet searches over the weekend trying to find some kids 3D glasses that will work well with the Panasonic AE8000u.

So far I really haven't felt good about purchasing anything. I have the TY-EW3D3MU glasses which work nice for adults, but my 3 year old wasn't too happy holding her glasses.

Any recommendations?
Have you tried the PS3 glasses? Work great.....available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00562...ySL&ref=plSrch

post #4332 of 4610 Old 04-13-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Have you tried the PS3 glasses? Work great.....available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00562...ySL&ref=plSrch
The price is right...but not sure if they are any smaller than the medium Panasonic TY-EW3D3MU glasses I already have. Trying to find some specifically for the younger kids.
Anyone know how these compare in size or if they work well for children 7 and under?
post #4333 of 4610 Old 04-14-2015, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Howdy again Mario-

Yeah, I'm using the PS3 glasses. I have two kids, age 11 and just turned 6. PS3 fits the 11 year old fine. My youngest thought the PS3 might be a bit big for her, so I bought a Quantum kids pair for her. Unfortunately, as I posted in recent pages here, no Quantum glasses work with the 8000. In all my research, the only glasses I've found for kids are super expensive original Panasonics. So we're good with the PS3's, and my daughters are able to use them ok.
post #4334 of 4610 Old 04-14-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Any recommendations?
The M in TY-EW3D3MU is for medium. Panasonic also makes glasses in Large and Small sizes (with LU and SU suffixes accordingly). You might want to try the small Panasonic glasses.

Mike
post #4335 of 4610 Old 04-14-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
The M in TY-EW3D3MU is for medium. Panasonic also makes glasses in Large and Small sizes (with LU and SU suffixes accordingly). You might want to try the small Panasonic glasses.

Mike
Thanks Chris. I ordered the PS3 3D glasses to see if they are any better for my daughter.

Mike,

Not sure I want to spend $89 on the Panasonic TY-EW3D3SU glasses for the few movies we watch in 3D. Plus my 3 year old doesn't have a concept yet of not breaking things.
post #4336 of 4610 Old 04-14-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Thanks Chris. I ordered the PS3 3D glasses to see if they are any better for my daughter.

Mike,

Not sure I want to spend $89 on the Panasonic TY-EW3D3SU glasses for the few movies we watch in 3D. Plus my 3 year old doesn't have a concept yet of not breaking things.
The PS3 glasses are heavy and uncomfortable... but since the temple arms on them wrap around so tight they sort of work for kids. Although the nose piece and frame will not sit the best on their face. Performance wise, they are fine though. I would say your best bet is to look for the Panasonic 2nd gen glasses in the small size since finding the 3rd gen glasses in Small is really difficult... I found a pair of the TY-EW3D2S for my 7 year old and they fit much better and they work great..

They are available from time to time on Ebay and currently there is a set of 4 available that has been listed for a few weeks now with the seller finally coming down to a decent price range.. $100 plus shipping... but I wish they would offer them up as single units instead..
post #4337 of 4610 Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Mike,

I can't undertand why the small glasses are so difficult to find, which makes them costly.

I wish passive 1080p 3D on 4k/UHD displays became popularized as the variety, cost, quality, and comfort of passive glasses makes the experience so much better.
post #4338 of 4610 Old 04-16-2015, 12:25 AM

Liked: 45
Reporting back regarding this doubt I had:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
The projector will be centered in the room, so I don’t need to use horizontal lens shift, but I'll have to use a lot of vertical lens shift, moving the image down. The Panasonic AE8000 has 100% vertical lens shift, BUT it has limitations when projecting both 2.35:1 and 16:9 images onto a 2.35:1 screen using the Lens Memory function. My big doubt is: can I place the screen as displayed?
(bottom of the screen is 4’ 10’’ below the center of the lens).
… and I’m happy to say it’s not a problem.
I received the projector 2 days ago, and a quick test showed the lens shift goes quite low, more than enough for what I need. The top of the screen goes around 2’ the center of the lens. Next week I’ll install the projector properly and measure it accurately, and I’ll post the information here for future reference.

Since I’m posting, I’d like to ask about something also directly related with the projector’s placement. I worry if this placement might hurt the picture quality and kill the black levels and contrast, because I’d be using minimum zoom. Is this a big issue with this Panasonic
post #4339 of 4610 Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 AM

Hi guys.

I've got my PJ set up today but I have an issue.

Half of the screen is perfect and the other is distorted. Perfectly down the middle.

Has anyone seen this before?
post #4340 of 4610 Old 04-18-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Hi guys.

I've got my PJ set up today but I have an issue.

Half of the screen is perfect and the other is distorted. Perfectly down the middle.

Has anyone seen this before?
Here is an image of the projection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7702 (Large).JPG
Views:	216
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	672281  
post #4341 of 4610 Old 04-18-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Sorry, it is broken; you need to send it in for repair or if it is brand spanking new [that time frame is determined by your dealer and varies company to company] you may be able to swap it for another.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #4342 of 4610 Old 04-22-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Sorry, it is broken; you need to send it in for repair or if it is brand spanking new [that time frame is determined by your dealer and varies company to company] you may be able to swap it for another.

Yep. DOA!

Swapped for a new PJ. All set up and working great.
post #4343 of 4610 Old 04-22-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
For movies like Interstellar, which has far too many ratio shifting, best to manually keep it at 16:9 thru out.
Thanks for your help.

With regards to the above quote. How do you set it on 16:9 manually? Do you just turn off Auto Switching temporarily whilst watching the movie and then turn Auto Switching back on afterwards?

Or do you have another method?

Thanks.
post #4344 of 4610 Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can pick up this projector at around $600 dollars cheaper than the sony ES40 and $800 cheaper than the Epson 5030UB. Now i understand that the panny is an older projector but has anyone compared the 3 and if so is the panny close to the others in performance. I dont own a bat cave but a normal family room so black levels are never going to be fantastic in my set up.

The thing putting me off the panny is that it does not have any convergence options (what ever that does ) - i have heard that the LCD pannels can become misaligned.

Also does the auto lens zoom etc work the other way with a 16:9 screen. In my set up i have an electronic screen which has black bars top and bottom. Now when somewthing is broadcast in 2:35:1 i raise the screen so the black bar is level with bottom of picture but i still have a white frame then above. Would it be possible to raise the screen more so the case of the screen becomes the top of the frame and auto shift the image up so in effect i watch the 2:35:1 image higher up on the screen (if this makes sense)
post #4345 of 4610 Old 04-23-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Thanks for your help.

With regards to the above quote. How do you set it on 16:9 manually? Do you just turn off Auto Switching temporarily whilst watching the movie and then turn Auto Switching back on afterwards?

Thanks.
Yea I watced it the other day and was to lazy to get up to turn of auto switching. It was a pain switching every other sceen but I finaly got used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGEvans View Post
I can pick up this projector at around $600 dollars cheaper than the sony ES40 and $800 cheaper than the Epson 5030UB. Now i understand that the panny is an older projector but has anyone compared the 3 and if so is the panny close to the others in performance. I dont own a bat cave but a normal family room so black levels are never going to be fantastic in my set up.

The thing putting me off the panny is that it does not have any convergence options (what ever that does ) - i have heard that the LCD pannels can become misaligned.

Also does the auto lens zoom etc work the other way with a 16:9 screen. In my set up i have an electronic screen which has black bars top and bottom. Now when somewthing is broadcast in 2:35:1 i raise the screen so the black bar is level with bottom of picture but i still have a white frame then above. Would it be possible to raise the screen more so the case of the screen becomes the top of the frame and auto shift the image up so in effect i watch the 2:35:1 image higher up on the screen (if this makes sense)
yes you can do that with the auto switching just raise the 2.40:1 image digitaly and save it as 2.40:1 then it will swithc for you.
post #4346 of 4610 Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help.

Thanks.
Yes, just turn off auto switching and keep it at your 16:9 setting.

If you haven't set this ratio yet, 16:9 on this pj will be max height of the thrown screen image on your particular screen. Press Lens button and zoom/focus for your screen height and then save it in one of the memory slots as 16:9. You may have to make minor manual zoom adjustments between some movies at times...just press Lens>Enter>Enter to adjust the screen based on the output video image.

post #4347 of 4610 Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
I'm borrowing an Oppo 103 from a friend to try with the Panasonic AE8000U.

Anyone played around with the video settings in the Oppo to see which settings in the HDMI/Video section best mate with the Panasonic Projector?

RGB Video? 30 or 36 bit deep color? etc...

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #4348 of 4610 Old 04-24-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I'm trying to work out the vertical placement of my Panny. Let's say the very top of my screen is 7" down from the ceiling and the projector is mounted such that the center of the lens is 5" from the top of the ceiling. That is, it's above the top of the screen by a couple of inches.

What I've been having trouble finding out is:

1. Can the Panny do this at all, or does it need to be -- at most -- even with the top of the screen?
2. If it can do it, what are the negative ramifications of having it outside of the scope of the screen?

Now I am thinking that I can just physically tilt the entire projector (the Peerless PRGS-UNV can do that) and that would definitely work. But if I did that:

3. What would be the negative ramifications of tilting the entire projector to point down?
post #4349 of 4610 Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 AM

Hey there. I've installed my PJ at a similar height to yours with a 2.35:1 screen and I have had no image issues. The PJ is 5.7 from the screen.

I have to same mount too.

You can angle the mount down and set the image with vertical and horizontal and keystone settings. Keystone will straighten out a projection that is wider or narrower at the top or bottom. Vertical and horizontal will offset the image if the PJ isn't centred exactly.

Set the 16:9 image size first with the joystick control and the image settings, not the position settings. Save that projection and then set up the 2.35:1.

Then your pretty much good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #4350 of 4610 Old 04-25-2015, 05:08 AM

Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (Europe...

Now it's my turn to ask a question. [emoji4]

I can't get 3D to work.

I've used a 3D bluray connected directly and via an amp.
I've used a 3d MKV connected directly to a HTPC and connected from the HTPC through the amp.

I've even tried it through Kodi too and still no good.

The PJ doesn't recognise a 3d projection. With each test I've had to manually set side-by-side or top-and-bottom for the MKV's but it still wasn't 3D. It just looked like image laid over one another.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by kassysimon; 04-25-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ae7000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page