Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 147 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4381 of 4409 Old 05-20-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 99
You bought the wrong glasses. You want:

TY-EW3D3MU (for medium size, or ...LU for large, or ...SU for small).

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4409 Old 05-20-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just bought a second hand AT6000 (at 400 hours) in Europe. I think the previous owner really messed the settings up by trial and error method and he claims that the projector is now performing much better than the factory settings.

I want to see the "out of the box" performance of my new toy, but also I don't want to lose the current settings. Simply because I don't know which settings I will like better.

Here are my questions :

1. Which are the menus (user, expert, maintenance etc. all) that the previous owner could have possibly accessed and played with ? I don't recall when and where, but I think I had read an article which was explaining how to connect the projector to a PC with a special serial cable and to change some "very" hidden setting. Is this possible or am I just making up ?!

2. Following the 1st question, where can I find the factory default settings for all these menus ? But please, I mean ALL menus, including the imaginary special menu that can be accessed only with a PC connection. Actually once I identify and open all the menus, I can take photos of the current settings, then I can restore the factory default settings. But I don't want to do this for 2 reasons. First, I want to change the settings one by one and see how they affect the image. Second, I can't be sure if restoring factory defaults will really restore the settings under ALL menus mentioned above.

3. Last but not the least, can You recommend me the most up-to-date calibration settings ? I'm sure I can find some calibration settings by googling, but I believe you can pin point a recent and good one for this quite old projector.

Thanks a million in advance.
post #4383 of 4409 Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My bulb has 4,100 hours on it. If I get a new bulb should I expect some brightness increase?
post #4384 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
My bulb has 4,100 hours on it. If I get a new bulb should I expect some brightness increase?
There will be an increase but it will be subtle. In the 5 minutes or so to disassemble the pj and swap bulbs your memory for the brightness will have faded and if you perceive a difference it is just as likely to be expectation bias as it is actual brightness change.
ellisr63 and ch1sox like this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #4385 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 49
At what point do I need to considering changing the bulb? Do I just wait until it fizzles out?
post #4386 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The projector will tell you when it's time. There is an on-screen warning when you power it on. There's a warning when there are about 200 hours left which gives you plenty of time to order a new bulb.

I'm still on my first bulb on my 8000, but with my 4000 when it was time to replace the bulb I measured the light output with a light meter and found that the new bulb was 2 1/2 times brighter than the old bulb. I'm not sure the 8000 will be the same, but I think you'll probably see a noticeable increase in brightness.

Mike
ellisr63 and ch1sox like this.
post #4387 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
AE8000 still an awesome projector?

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some advice here, as i'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on an AE8000, but it seems like a lot of people are complaining about Black Levels. Especially when comparing to the JVC's.

I can accept that the JVC X500 is a better projector... it should be, as it is significantly more. In Canada, I can get this projector for $2200 vs $5000 for the JVC. Its a substantial difference.

My question is, for all of you who own the Panny, Would you spend more than double for the JVC if you were buying today? Any regrets with the AE8000?

I should add that the main reason I am looking at these two models is for the lens memories. I will be projecting onto a 130-138" 2.35 AT screen from about 15 ft away, in a light controlled, dedicated theater.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #4388 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubrown View Post
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some advice here, as i'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on an AE8000, but it seems like a lot of people are complaining about Black Levels. Especially when comparing to the JVC's.

I can accept that the JVC X500 is a better projector... it should be, as it is significantly more. In Canada, I can get this projector for $2200 vs $5000 for the JVC. Its a substantial difference.

My question is, for all of you who own the Panny, Would you spend more than double for the JVC if you were buying today? Any regrets with the AE8000?

I should add that the main reason I am looking at these two models is for the lens memories. I will be projecting onto a 130-138" 2.35 AT screen from about 15 ft away, in a light controlled, dedicated theater.
Personally... I am very happy with my 8000, and would not spend the extra for the JVC. IMO, unless you are comparing them side by side you will never know that what you have is not the best projector.
GWCR likes this.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (3) MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #4389 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Personally... I am very happy with my 8000, and would not spend the extra for the JVC. IMO, unless you are comparing them side by side you will never know that what you have is not the best projector.
I agree completely. My 8000 is projecting on a home-made 111" Scope screen in a room that isn't very well light controlled, and I am very happy with it.

Mike
ellisr63 likes this.
post #4390 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm very sensitive to poor black level and although there's room for improvement on the 8000 it is certainly within my acceptable range. The deepest black it can muster is below the deepest black of 99% of actual program material I throw at it so unless one stares at test patterns or dead inputs, it's hard to find fault with what it does in actual use.

The blackness of outer space in a Star Wars movie or the background of the end credits of any movie, on cable or Bluray, is brighter in level than the 8000's blackest point so why should I need any better (darker) than that?

The 8000 also has a bang up, great feature, namely an internal waveform monitor, which sets brightness, contrast, and some other parameters all at the touch of a button [when using the correct test pattern]. I think this trumps any minor improvements in black level which some other brands may have when adjusted via external instrumentation that not every owner might have.

I'm also partial to Panasonic's "Smooth Screen" technology, even though it doesn't matter much when viewing a normal sized image at a proper distance, but when I want a gigantic image or the ability to walk right up to the screen, yet not see any pixels nor any screen door effect, it can't be beat.
ellisr63 and GWCR like this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; Yesterday at 11:42 AM.
post #4391 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I would not even consider paying more than double the cost of this pj. If I had the $ to spend double, I would probably just get two of the Panny. I have no complaints about the black level at all. The lens memory and auto-shifting is excellent as well. The auto-shift is one of the coolest features of this pj when switching between ARs, IMHO. Honestly, I love my Panny and I really don't have a single thing to complain about.
post #4392 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I was in the same boat. The 8000 gave more practical options for less money... especially lens memory when you have a 2.35 screen. Get the 8000 and save the extra money for a 4k pj upgrade in a few years.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #4393 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just ordered the 8000 today from Projector People. I am going to be able to mount the projector level or below the top of the screen edge, but I am likely going to be slightly off center horizontally. If mounted in this fashion will the automatic zoom still work without having to make manual adjustments? If not I am likely heading into some room modification
post #4394 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampsdds View Post
Just ordered the 8000 today from Projector People. I am going to be able to mount the projector level or below the top of the screen edge, but I am likely going to be slightly off center horizontally. If mounted in this fashion will the automatic zoom still work without having to make manual adjustments? If not I am likely heading into some room modification
Yes, lens memory will still work fine. The pj has a lot of install flexibility when offset...not just in inches but in feet. Once you get the 16.9 image squared/zoomed correctly onto your screen, then you can configure any lens memory settings.

gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #4395 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I just sent mine in for warranty work. I have some kind of light leakage issue going on. basically I have a green/yellowish hue going from the bottom left to the top right. It's really throwing my black levels off and slightly changes the hue of colors. With that said I am hopeful Panasonic will be able to get it corrected for me. I do think the Panny is still a great value over the other units costing twice as much.

I know its hard to see the issue looking at a dark pic from a cellphone uploaded and compressed then loaded onto your PC monitor. But heres a pic of it none the less.
post #4396 of 4409 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
The JVC black level is not worth double the price to us Panasonic owners because we already weighed the question out and made our choice. Your answer will be different if you asked that question in the JVC owners thread.

FWIW, I've seen quite a few different projectors in quite a few different home theaters from various home theater meets, crawls, and g2gs. The panasonic is top shelf image quality and blacks. It's not the absolute best, but it is close in any one particular area IMO, and its definately a winner when you take the sum of all parts. Low gaming lag, good brightness, excellent 3d, excellent and fast autozoom (JVCs I've seen are super slow at the zoom change), good blacklevels, good colors, and unreasonably cheap price. Really it doesn't do anything poorly and to your average Joe it is probably still the best picture they've seen anywhere. I've seen better, but 10% better, not 100% better for double the price.

I'd still buy one today if I was in the market over its competition.

My only concern is that panasonic's quality control seems to be a bit subpar, as well as their customer service (IMO). Coming from excellent customer support with Epson projectors, IMO,Panasonic support is bad.
ch1sox and asoofi1 like this.

Last edited by Archaea; Yesterday at 09:42 PM.
post #4397 of 4409 Old Today, 03:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

The 8000 also has a bang up, great feature, namely an internal waveform monitor, which sets brightness, contrast, and some other parameters all at the touch of a button [when using the correct test pattern]. I think this trumps any minor improvements in black level which some other brands may have when adjusted via external instrumentation that not every owner might have.
I'm very interested in this, do you have any more info on how to do this, what test pattern etc?
woodhead2 likes this.
post #4398 of 4409 Old Today, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Yes, lens memory will still work fine. The pj has a lot of install flexibility when offset...not just in inches but in feet. Once you get the 16.9 image squared/zoomed correctly onto your screen, then you can configure any lens memory settings.
Great to hear. Thanks!
post #4399 of 4409 Old Today, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
I'm very interested in this, do you have any more info on how to do this, what test pattern etc?
Panasonic has a series of 4 training videos for the 8000 on youtube. The first one (see below) shows how to use the waveform monitor about halfway through the video.
stevenkelby and asoofi1 like this.
post #4400 of 4409 Old Today, 05:56 AM

Thanks!
post #4401 of 4409 Old Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoubleh View Post
Panasonic has a series of 4 training videos for the 8000 on youtube. The first one (see below) shows how to use the waveform monitor about halfway through the video.
https://youtu.be/Msju4hOmxMI
I just went through all 4 of those video and can highly recommend them to all users.

Now I'm off to check my white and black levels with the waveform monitor.

Mike
post #4402 of 4409 Old Today, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have sent my projector to the service center again due to bad convergence on my unit
Apparently a new optical block has been ordered and will take a month to arrive.

Not entirely happy about that.

I attached 2 pics of how bad the convergence is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1428.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	730242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1427.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	730250  
post #4403 of 4409 Old Today, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Yeah that's really bad. I hope they can get that worked out for you. What did you send it in the first time for?
post #4404 of 4409 Old Today, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, hope so too. They are a fantastic projector otherwise.

It had bad blooming around text and somehow got dust blobs inside the optical block.
post #4405 of 4409 Old Today, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The JVC black level is not worth double the price to us Panasonic owners because we already weighed the question out and made our choice. Your answer will be different if you asked that question in the JVC owners thread.

FWIW, I've seen quite a few different projectors in quite a few different home theaters from various home theater meets, crawls, and g2gs. The panasonic is top shelf image quality and blacks. It's not the absolute best, but it is close in any one particular area IMO, and its definately a winner when you take the sum of all parts. Low gaming lag, good brightness, excellent 3d, excellent and fast autozoom (JVCs I've seen are super slow at the zoom change), good blacklevels, good colors, and unreasonably cheap price. Really it doesn't do anything poorly and to your average Joe it is probably still the best picture they've seen anywhere. I've seen better, but 10% better, not 100% better for double the price.

I'd still buy one today if I was in the market over its competition.

My only concern is that panasonic's quality control seems to be a bit subpar, as well as their customer service (IMO). Coming from excellent customer support with Epson projectors, IMO,Panasonic support is bad.
I figured that the support of the AE8000 on this thread would go without saying, but the fact that you would still buy one today when the projector was released in 2012 says a lot. With the pricing as good as it is, it just might be a no brainer for what my needs are.

The QA thing concerns me, but here in Canada, I've always heard great things about Panasonic support. It's too bad that it doesn't seem to be the same on your side of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
I was in the same boat. The 8000 gave more practical options for less money... especially lens memory when you have a 2.35 screen. Get the 8000 and save the extra money for a 4k pj upgrade in a few years.
That is exactly where my head is. 4K isn't the standard now, so it commands a HUGE premium, even for the artificial 4k on the x500. In a few years, 4k will be widely available for less money, as well as lasers and lens memory options. Thanks for the advice!
post #4406 of 4409 Old Today, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I figured that the support of the AE8000 on this thread would go without saying, but the fact that you would still buy one today when the projector was released in 2012 says a lot. With the pricing as good as it is, it just might be a no brainer for what my needs are.

The QA thing concerns me, but here in Canada, I've always heard great things about Panasonic support. It's too bad that it doesn't seem to be the same on your side of the border.

That is exactly where my head is. 4K isn't the standard now, so it commands a HUGE premium, even for the artificial 4k on the x500. In a few years, 4k will be widely available for less money, as well as lasers and lens memory options. Thanks for the advice!
After reading how many ppl had issues out of the box, I consider myself very lucky my pj was perfect out of the box...knock on wood. However, I was prepared to go thru the hassle of returning it to get the perfect one...even if it would have taken multiple times...because after all the comparisons, the value of what 8000 provides as a total package is very hard to beat by any other pj for 1500 or even twice as expensive.

post #4407 of 4409 Old Today, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
Although contrast and brightness are best done using a gray scale ramp from pure white to pure black, what is key is that you generate that pattern from the source device in question, not an alternate, to the 8000's input in question [and possibly per signal resolution, as well].

This means if you calibrate from a Bluray disc into HDMI input 1 you haven't done anything to calibrate Comcast cable going into HDMI 2. In theory there might even be small variations per network [CBS vs Showtime, for example].

I permanently keep on my cable DVR a 5 minute clip of a late night HBO off-the-air color bar pattern which includes pure white and black just for this reason, and I use the auto calibration mode of my 8000's waveform monitor while viewing this image:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post
 The white bar is 100% white, or Y=235, Cb=128 and Cr=128. No extended range values are present.

Ron
The auto circuit successfully sets the 100% and 0% levels to the white and the black bars on the ends, and the image looks great! HBO and their affiliates broadcast this signal around 5:30 AM at least once per month. Check your guide, I think it is listed as "Off the air".

Interestingly you'll see when setting this that the various colors inbetween the white and the black bars on the ends look like a ramp, but getting the white at 100% and the black at 0 is what matters. Use the waveform monitor mode called: "Single line scan (Y)".

Last edited by m. zillch; Today at 03:30 PM.
post #4408 of 4409 Old Today, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Here, without me lifting a finger, you can see that the auto calibration has indeed placed the 100% and 0% levels exactly where they should be:

The horizontal line right above the words "HBO transmission test" shows where I placed the sampling scan line.

Big picture:
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...-color&cat=500
Select the bigger photo icon, a magnifier with a plus symbol in the center of it, in the lower right of that page.

Last edited by m. zillch; Today at 03:26 PM.
post #4409 of 4409 Old Today, 05:38 PM

That's perfect, thank you. I use my PC as source for 90+% of viewing anyway so that will work for me

As soon as I get my PJ back I will calibrate it. Still at Panasonic service for over 2 months now waiting for parts...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page