Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 148 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4411 of 4420 Old 05-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubrown View Post
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some advice here, as i'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on an AE8000, but it seems like a lot of people are complaining about Black Levels. Especially when comparing to the JVC's.

I can accept that the JVC X500 is a better projector... it should be, as it is significantly more. In Canada, I can get this projector for $2200 vs $5000 for the JVC. Its a substantial difference.

My question is, for all of you who own the Panny, Would you spend more than double for the JVC if you were buying today? Any regrets with the AE8000?

I should add that the main reason I am looking at these two models is for the lens memories. I will be projecting onto a 130-138" 2.35 AT screen from about 15 ft away, in a light controlled, dedicated theater.

Keep in mind you are asking this question in the AE-8000's owner's thread and the answers will be biased of course, towards purchasing the AE-8000.

Ask this same question in any of the JVC owner's thread and of course they will say get the JVC.

It really is up to you to draw the line and decide what YOUR needs are and how long you can stretch your bugdet.

Efrain "AviatorBimmer" Ruiz, aka. ERuiz

Samsung UN65JS8500
ERuiz's Samsung UN65JS8500 Calibration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4420 Old 05-23-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Here, without me lifting a finger, you can see that the auto calibration has indeed placed the 100% and 0% levels exactly where they should be:

The horizontal line right above the words "HBO transmission test" shows where I placed the sampling scan line.

Big picture:
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...-color&cat=500
Select the bigger photo icon, a magnifier with a plus symbol in the center of it, in the lower right of that page.
Great idea. I've seen the off air too...def will dvr it myself. I did use the patterns on my wow disc as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #4413 of 4420 Old 05-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
I just sent mine in for warranty work. I have some kind of light leakage issue going on. basically I have a green/yellowish hue going from the bottom left to the top right. It's really throwing my black levels off and slightly changes the hue of colors. With that said I am hopeful Panasonic will be able to get it corrected for me. I do think the Panny is still a great value over the other units costing twice as much.

I know its hard to see the issue looking at a dark pic from a cellphone uploaded and compressed then loaded onto your PC monitor. But heres a pic of it none the less.

Please keep the forum updated on the outcome of this issue as my unit has exactly the same problem.

On my first observations I thought the bottom left & top right corners had light leakage as shadow detail on any low light scenes is quite poor, it is only when projecting full black that the green diagonal hue is seen.

I don't know if it is relevant to the problem but I have to raise one of the projector legs more than the other (sitting on a perfectly level shelf) to try to obtain a square image which still has a slightly droopy bottom right corner.
post #4414 of 4420 Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lens shift question on the 8000. I currently have one in my theater, but it is mounted just slightly higher than the top of the screen. I'm looking at getting a second one for my barn. It has 18' ceilings and I need to mount the pj as close to the ceiling as possible. I'm planning on using a 175" 16:9 screen with the top of the screen being 14-15' up. Is there enough lens shift to drop as much as 4'? I would try this with the one in my theater but I have it set up for 16:9 and 2.35, it took forever to get both settings correct and I really don't want to mess with the lens if I don't have to.
post #4415 of 4420 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim10101 View Post
hi all , i bought this pj this week and mine is just like the first photo , the desktop on me pc is blurred across the full screen text especially bad , funnily anough its constant across the full thing , is there anything i`m missing to get it focused sharp or am i looking at replacing it for another one ?

I would recommend using text in one of the AE-8000's internal menus to set the focus first. That should be the cleanest.

Then you can use text from your PC to check focus. If the internal menus are in focus, but the PC text is blurry, then perhaps an HDMI cable issue.

If the internal menus are blurry, and the PC text is just as blurry, also make sure that the various video processing filters are all off. They may be softening the edges.

Scott
ellisr63 likes this.
post #4416 of 4420 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Since i got this projector i really haven't dialed it in.....What are some of the setting you guy use watching HDTV & mainly Blu-Ray's.

Silver Ticket 120" Projector Screen Grey Material /Panasonic PT-AE8000 projector/Darbee Darblet DVP-5000/ Sony- PS4/Yamaha- RX-V675/Klipsch- RF-82 II , RC-62 II,RB-61 II(Surround) /Amazon Fire TV
post #4417 of 4420 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post
Lens shift question on the 8000. I currently have one in my theater, but it is mounted just slightly higher than the top of the screen. I'm looking at getting a second one for my barn. It has 18' ceilings and I need to mount the pj as close to the ceiling as possible. I'm planning on using a 175" 16:9 screen with the top of the screen being 14-15' up. Is there enough lens shift to drop as much as 4'? I would try this with the one in my theater but I have it set up for 16:9 and 2.35, it took forever to get both settings correct and I really don't want to mess with the lens if I don't have to.
4 feet is a lot of offset...but might be supported. Verify in your owner's manual...there's a couple of charts for various screens and sizes, along with the supported offset amount. You can also download the manual pdf from the panny website.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #4418 of 4420 Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
I would recommend using text in one of the AE-8000's internal menus to set the focus first. That should be the cleanest.

Then you can use text from your PC to check focus. If the internal menus are in focus, but the PC text is blurry, then perhaps an HDMI cable issue.

If the internal menus are blurry, and the PC text is just as blurry, also make sure that the various video processing filters are all off. They may be softening the edges.

Scott
Hi there , thanks for the reply , when i say blurry i would say its out by a few pixels just at the point when focusing in and you the text gets down to the last few pixels it literally goes the other way . |It was like this out of the box.

I was playing around with it last night and I noticed that with zoom maxed out it would actually focus sharp but not when i make the image smaller ! How an earth does that happen ? Surely if that would focus sharp why would a smaller image not ?

In the last paragraph are you relating to video procssing filters on the pj itself if so which ones please ?

Last edited by sim10101; Yesterday at 11:23 PM. Reason: to add more.
post #4419 of 4420 Old Today, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Since i got this projector i really haven't dialed it in.....What are some of the setting you guy use watching HDTV & mainly Blu-Ray's.
Unfortunately, there isn't a set of settings that would work for everyone. Too many variables. Level of light control in the room, color of front and side walls, viewing distance, your own visual acuity and preferences, etc. Best advice I received was to get a calibration disk. I got the Disney WOW (World Of Wonder) BD, and it was super easy to use. I only went through the basic calibration, and the results were great. There is a more advanced calibration on there too, but I haven't had the time or the need to use it. There are other calibration BDs out there too, but WOW was easy for me and worked great.
post #4420 of 4420 Unread Today, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
4 feet is a lot of offset...but might be supported. Verify in your owner's manual...there's a couple of charts for various screens and sizes, along with the supported offset amount. You can also download the manual pdf from the panny website.
This calculator is helpful in determining placement flexibility. Looks like 4 feet shouldn't be an issue.
http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/c...69/ae8000.html
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page