Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 4529 Old 06-23-2015, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKMDWK View Post
I talked to a sales guy at an online projector retailer who had a coworker at Infocom who stated that Panasonic is focusing on commercial/industrial projectors and getting away from the residential stuff. Second hand info, but the 8000 may be the last one.

Was informed the same thing from retailers/distributors in the last few weeks. Panasonic is backing/backed out of home projectors. One joked it was their own fault because they let Epson do everything they could to make it hard on Panasonic to compete since they get the LCD's from Epson.

To bad as I have had the chance to test an 8000 in my new room in the last week to how a 2.35 screen would fit. Flat out impressed, it is an amazing projector for the current price. At $1500 online right now I would say you could not touch it for the price (both being brand new of course)

The features are way better than what is on my Epson. Black level, I will admit is not as good as the 5030 but is it not that far off either (95%...). The picture overall though is excellent and AS good as the Epson. I say this based on not all movies are dark all the time. The first thing I noticed is how sharp it is, the one I have currently has VERY good convergence...,excellent is a better word, it is actually a lot better than my Epson..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4529 Old 06-23-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I sold pjs at retail for years, a decade ago. Expensive ones well over $10K from Sony, Vidicron, Yamaha, etc.. Brick and mortar stores absolutely hate Panasonic because:

A) they trounce the competition, even against ones that cost a notch more, so it is hard to push the more expensive brands.

B) They have no "regional protection", so there's nothing from stopping a competitor from opening shop in the same town

C) They have a low profit margin

This is why there are so few dealers who carry them, and the few who do don't usually display them (so you'll see how good a value they are compared to the high profit brand they would prefer selling you) except for online dealers where the overhead to stay in business is much less so it doesn't hurt to carry both high profit and low profit brands at the same time.

Although us consumers are all upset they may be going away, most dealers will be happy they're gone!

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-23-2015 at 04:15 PM.
post #4503 of 4529 Old 06-23-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Although us consumers are all upset they may be going away, most dealers will be happy they're gone!
Maybe that explains where those (so far) unfounded rumours keep coming from. Dealers might be happy to suggest that Panasonic is getting out of the projector business to convince people to buy the more profitable projectors rather than being "stuck with a dead end product".

But so far, I haven't seen any first hand data even suggesting that Panasonic is getting out of home theatre projectors. They make some wonderful projectors and probably sell boat loads of them (literally). Very few companies get out of a successful market. I can't see why Panasonic would.

Mike
post #4504 of 4529 Old 06-23-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
Maybe that explains where those (so far) unfounded rumours keep coming from. Dealers might be happy to suggest that Panasonic is getting out of the projector business to convince people to buy the more profitable projectors rather than being "stuck with a dead end product".

But so far, I haven't seen any first hand data even suggesting that Panasonic is getting out of home theatre projectors. They make some wonderful projectors and probably sell boat loads of them (literally). Very few companies get out of a successful market. I can't see why Panasonic would.

Mike
They got out of the plasma market which was very successful
post #4505 of 4529 Old 06-23-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
They got out of the plasma market which was very successful
No it wasn't! Plasma was dying. Every one else had quit the market. Sales were way down. LCD had caught up with video quality (or was clearly getting there very soon). Plasma was expensive to make and consumed loads of power. Panasonic held on long after the market has dried up.

Mike
post #4506 of 4529 Old 06-24-2015, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How much should vertical lenshift affect the zoom the on these ?

I got a replacement unit and whilst i would say the focus is not razor sharp, there is still a slight halo effect but from about 4 foot back it looks okayish it was better than the one i sent back , but this is using no lens shift .

I need to use about 30% vertical shift but it pulls it a fair bit out of focus , is this to be expected ?
post #4507 of 4529 Old 06-24-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim10101 View Post
How much should vertical lenshift affect the zoom the on these ?

I got a replacement unit and whilst i would say the focus is not razor sharp, there is still a slight halo effect but from about 4 foot back it looks okayish it was better than the one i sent back , but this is using no lens shift .

I need to use about 30% vertical shift but it pulls it a fair bit out of focus , is this to be expected ?
No, unfortunately it doesn't really sound normal... if after adjusting the manual lens shift into position, you can't adjust the focus pattern and letters to a crisp looking result, something is wrong. Is the focus poor all throughout the picture or just on certain sections? You say you are seeing a bit of a halo effect? Sounds like the notorious "blooming" issue instead of a focusing issue... Is it a bright or white halo around bright objects?

The focus and alignment on mine are excellent....
post #4508 of 4529 Old 06-24-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
No, unfortunately it doesn't really sound normal... if after adjusting the manual lens shift into position, you can't adjust the focus pattern and letters to a crisp looking result, something is wrong. Is the focus poor all throughout the picture or just on certain sections? You say you are seeing a bit of a halo effect? Sounds like the notorious "blooming" issue instead of a focusing issue... Is it a bright or white halo around bright objects?

The focus and alignment on mine are excellent....
thanks for the reply , yeah it real bright around text on the focus,zoom screen and just wont go sharp , my previous unit had a new optical block but still did the same thing unless it was on max zoom .

At least now i know that it should focus sharp and crisp , The last unit i sent to panasonic i had to argue the point they claimed it was fine until i asked them to test it on the lens zoom and focus screen , it was agreed that there was some flaring around the text and a new optical block and lense fitted. it came back a little better . but far from right , thats some impressive quality control.
I have little to no faith in panasonic getting it right.

Whats the alternatives at this price range that will deliver the same performance ?
post #4509 of 4529 Old 06-24-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Not much at the going rate of $1500 for brand new...although it looks like there are some deals on the brand new Epsons which are pretty attractive...
post #4510 of 4529 Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 PM

I had a play around in a different room with a silk finish magnolia wall and the focus seemed better on that , any ideas ?
post #4511 of 4529 Old 06-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Well I decided to send my projector in to Panasonic for repair for my dust blob. Easiest service ever! I called them up, went through their troubleshooting and got a service order number. Fortunately for me, Panasonic's national service center is nearby, so I took a slight detour to work and dropped it off. I got a notification later in the day that it was being processed for return shipping. I called them up and said I would rather pick it up and they held it for me to pick up on the way home. Now my projector is back up and running and no red spot!
post #4512 of 4529 Old 06-26-2015, 12:29 PM

Question on my new Panny 8K - I don't have a Blue-Ray player and I would like to test 3D. I saw a show on DishTV that said it was 3D. However it did not look like 3D to me. How do you know if the show you are watching is being projected in 3D? Other that using the 2D --> 3D conevrted, how can I test 3D?
post #4513 of 4529 Old 06-26-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a cable box, not sat., but here goes how I understand it will be for you too. Although some shows might say "HD and 3D available" in the TV show's description, that doesn't necessarily mean you are on the right channel to view it that way. You may also need to activate 3D out on the sat box in a menu, too, not sure.

If you send the HDMI signal through a receiver or electronic switch box it needs to be "3D ready". Older ones aren't.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #4514 of 4529 Old 06-26-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I have a cable box, not sat., but here goes how I understand it will be for you too. Although some shows might say "HD and 3D available" in the TV show's description, that doesn't necessarily mean you are on the right channel to view it that way. You may also need to activate 3D out on the sat box in a menu, too, not sure.

If you send the HDMI signal through a receiver or electronic switch box it needs to be "3D ready". Older ones aren't.
I have a Denon AVR-1712

"Supports HDMI 1.4a with 3D, ARC, Deep Color,
“x.v.Color”, Auto Lip Sync and HDMI control
function (vpage 6)
This unit can output 3D video signals input from a Blu-ray Disc
player to a TV that supports a 3D system."

I don't know of any setting within my DishTV to activate 3D.
post #4515 of 4529 Old 06-26-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Doesn't the HDMI cable also have to support 3D?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #4516 of 4529 Old 06-26-2015, 07:14 PM

I've been reading reviews about how bright this projector is, and I'm afraid to buy one. I have a ~92" 16:9 diagonal screen and 14.5 ft distance. Are my eyes going to be blinded if I try to use this projector? I have no interest in 3D mode at all, so my use would be strictly 2D. I saw a few mentioning eco mode to cut the brightness. If I go to eco mode, am I sacrificing image quality (and might it still be too bright)?

Back in 2008 I bought a used PT-AE1000U. I can't remember how many hours the lamp had on it.. a few hundred? Anyhow, this projector has been absolutely incredible for me since then. I love the way they made it so I can sit insanely close to my screen and not see pixel boundaries (I sit around 3-4 ft from the screen). It's been absolutely no trouble at all except for when I switched to ECO mode temporarily and disturbed the lamp arc. I'm now at 1200 hours and while the projector is still great, the image has dimmed a bit, and I can't seem to find legit Panasonic lamps anywhere. I had planned on getting the 4000 model, but my lamp lasted too long and that one is long since discontinued too, oops! I guess I don't watch enough movies... In any case, I want to buy a Panasonic again if I can, because they've definitely earned my loyalty.
post #4517 of 4529 Old 06-26-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkalamari View Post
. I saw a few mentioning eco mode to cut the brightness. If I go to eco mode, am I sacrificing image quality (and might it still be too bright)?
On the contrary, the slightly dimmer ECO mode has a deeper black level. It is actually the best mode because the blacks are as dark as they can be and the lamp lasts longer. The downside is your image may be too dark if you use a larger screen and the room has to be very dark [light tight].
Quote:
Back in 2008 I bought a used PT-AE1000U. I can't remember how many hours the lamp had on it.. a few hundred? Anyhow, this projector has been absolutely incredible for me since then. I love the way they made it so I can sit insanely close to my screen and not see pixel boundaries (I sit around 3-4 ft from the screen).
This technology, exclusive to Panasonics, has me sticking with them as well. It is called "Smooth Screen".
Each pixel is broken into four quadrants by a special prism and is projected in a slightly "shotgun spray" like manner where they don't quite, but almost, overlap each other. This helps reduce the visibility of the black lines between pixels seen in all other brands which at a close range like you use causes SDE or "screen door effect".

Quote:
I can't seem to find legit Panasonic lamps anywhere.
Try Provantage and B&H Photo Video in NYC. They sell legit ones.
killerkalamari likes this.

post #4518 of 4529 Old 06-28-2015, 07:09 PM

Currently with the 1000, I use the vertical lens shift to align the bottom of the image with the bottom of my screen to mask the bottom black bar. I have to adjust it for pretty much every movie, because some are 16:9 and some are 2.35:1. It's pretty quick and easy to make the adjustment. With the 8000, will I be able to automate this, or will I end up having to use the joystick?
post #4519 of 4529 Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkalamari View Post
Currently with the 1000, I use the vertical lens shift to align the bottom of the image with the bottom of my screen to mask the bottom black bar. I have to adjust it for pretty much every movie, because some are 16:9 and some are 2.35:1. It's pretty quick and easy to make the adjustment. With the 8000, will I be able to automate this, or will I end up having to use the joystick?
It can be set to automatic but there may be constraints that firing the image at the front from an extreme off axis position may not be tolerated for auto lens memory. I'm not sure though.

Imagine if your 16:9 [1.78 AR] screen had a mirror image of itself on the back wall from where it is now. If the 8000 sits within that rectangular area you should be safe, as far as I know, however if you need to shoot from outside of that mirrored rectangular area the auto zoom/ CIH features and image positioning systems may have reached their limits. I'm not an expert on this particular aspect of the pjs though so if others chime in I'd go by what they say.
killerkalamari likes this.

post #4520 of 4529 Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 AM

Thank you! I have one last question. Is this the only projector on the market with the smooth screen technology (or something like it) that lets you sit within a few feet of the screen?
post #4521 of 4529 Old 06-30-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic is the only remaining company which has Smooth Screen technology. Many years ago [10-20] there was an aftermarket company which sold an after market lens to screw to the front of any brand which offered a similar de-pixelating technology but they no longer exist and the reviews were mixed. It was called a Cygnus IMX Image Processor and one version was called Series 900. You can see them on ebay now and then.

Many people over the years, usually people loyal to other brands, have dismissed Smooth Screen as being just a fancy "blurring" which could be mimicked by simply defocusing of any old brand's image. While its true that defocusing helps minimize SDE the amount necessary to equal Smooth Screen is so severe that the soft image looks decidedly poor. Panasonics SS is night and day better.

Two other tidbits:

A) Early versions of SS did have issues, but they got fixed, so early claims of "It looks poor, blurry, and not as sharp as other brands" was legitimately true at one point.

B) Panasonic's own marketing department botched their description of how SS exactly works using completely inaccurate pictures in their ads suggesting what was happening with SS was very different from what it actually was. They may even use the errant version to this day, I'm not sure.

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-30-2015 at 08:54 PM.
post #4522 of 4529 Old 06-30-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
A) Early versions of SS did have issues, but they got fixed, so early claims of "It looks poor, blurry, and not as sharp as other brands" was legitimately true at one point.
Thanks! A little blur has never bothered me actually, because 35mm films were never super sharp to my eyes. At home, depending on the source material (esp 720x480 DVD) I'll purposely blur my 1000 a bit just to blend the giant 1/9" pixels together a little more. Not needed with blu-rays tho.

I seriously considered buying a new bulb for my 1000 because I like it so much, but I know mechanically it is bound to fail eventually (and a lot of 1000s had iris issues with age, I just got lucky), so I ended up buying the 8000 today. Thank you for all your help! Wish me luck! Guess I'll find out how I fared at around 50 hours.. if it's still good by then, then it sounds like I'm home free.
post #4523 of 4529 Old 07-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 106
After reaching 144 hours on my 8000u, I have begun noticing a greenish tint/blob developing on the lower right quadrant of my screen. It is very visible on dark backgrounds.

Is this something to be alarmed about? I still have until July 17th before my 30-day return window expires with Amazon and was wondering if I should go ahead and get it exchanged.

Convergence is also not spot on but I was willing to live with it, but now that this greenish tint/blob has popped up all of a sudden, I wonder if this is a sign of things to come and I should just exchange it for another or perhaps look into upgrading to a JVC RS4910.

Efrain "AviatorBimmer" Ruiz, aka. ERuiz

Samsung UN65JS8500
ERuiz's Samsung UN65JS8500 Calibration
post #4524 of 4529 Old 07-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
After reaching 144 hours on my 8000u, I have begun noticing a greenish tint/blob developing on the lower right quadrant of my screen. It is very visible on dark backgrounds.

Is this something to be alarmed about? I still have until July 17th before my 30-day return window expires with Amazon and was wondering if I should go ahead and get it exchanged.

Convergence is also not spot on but I was willing to live with it, but now that this greenish tint/blob has popped up all of a sudden, I wonder if this is a sign of things to come and I should just exchange it for another or perhaps look into upgrading to a JVC RS4910.
Sounds like a dust blob already, I would just return it or exchange it.
The RS 4910 will have better blacks and lens(es).
JVC quality is better all around.
post #4525 of 4529 Old 07-01-2015, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The JVC is 2.5X as expensive though [street price] plus add another $100 if you want 3D [they charge for the emitter]. Other than the dust blob, which can happen to any non-sealed air path, forced air cooled pj, including the JVC, if you find the image of the Panasonic to be acceptable, how much more is it worth to you to make the blacks even darker? 2.5X? And HOW much darker will the blacks be in real world use?
GWCR likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-01-2015 at 06:39 PM.
post #4526 of 4529 Old 07-01-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The JVC is 2.5X as expensive though [street price] plus add another $100 if you want 3D [they charge for the emitter]. Other than the dust blob, which can happen to any non-sealed air path, forced air cooled pj, including the JVC, if you find the image of the Panasonic to be acceptable, how much more is it worth to you to make the blacks even darker? 2.5X? And HOW much darker will the blacks be in real world use?
Even if he doesn't go for the JVC, the dust blob is happening already with in the 30 day window, I suspect factory contamination.
I don't think someones house can be so dusty that a dust blob is already developing.

I have some faint ones in my AE-4000 and I am not going to bother with them (yet) because they don't show up under normal viewing.
My point is that it took years for them to get there and ERuiz hasn't even had it for 30 days _ that isn't right _ if noting else I think he should get an exchange unit.
ERuiz likes this.
post #4527 of 4529 Old 07-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Even if he doesn't go for the JVC, the dust blob is happening already with in the 30 day window, I suspect factory contamination.
I don't think someones house can be so dusty that a dust blob is already developing.

I have some faint ones in my AE-4000 and I am not going to bother with them (yet) because they don't show up under normal viewing.
My point is that it took years for them to get there and ERuiz hasn't even had it for 30 days _ that isn't right _ if noting else I think he should get an exchange unit.

I will be returning it in the next few days. I agree that having it for only 2 weeks and 144 hours in, it already has dust blobs is unacceptable. I will exchange it for another 8000U and if the issue pops up again, I will just go with the JVC instead.

Thanks guys...

Samsung UN65JS8500
post #4528 of 4529 Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
I will be returning it in the next few days. I agree that having it for only 2 weeks and 144 hours in, it already has dust blobs is unacceptable. I will exchange it for another 8000U and if the issue pops up again, I will just go with the JVC instead.

Thanks guys...
Just another bit of advice, if you end up going with the JVC, you may want to wait until after the CEDIA show in October.
There is talk of a new JVC model and it probably will be HDCP 2.2 compatible, which means that it will be able to handle the new 4K Blu-ray standard.
It may still not be a true 4K model (just e-shift), but if you're into the UHD Blu-rays then I thought I had better mention this, just in case you didn't know.
Also consider the cost of any new JVC models, they (it) will probably be quite expensive _ don't know if this will be a factor...
post #4529 of 4529 Old 07-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Just another bit of advice, if you end up going with the JVC, you may want to wait until after the CEDIA show in October.
There is talk of a new JVC model and it probably will be HDCP 2.2 compatible, which means that it will be able to handle the new 4K Blu-ray standard.
It may still not be a true 4K model (just e-shift), but if you're into the UHD Blu-rays then I thought I had better mention this, just in case you didn't know.
Also consider the cost of any new JVC models, they (it) will probably be quite expensive _ don't know if this will be a factor...

Yea man, I really do appreciate the advices but any new JVC model will definitely be out of my price range. I might just keep exhanging the 8000U until I get one I am happy with and call it a day.

I really want the JVC RS4910 but like someone said, is it really worth the extra $2000+ for one? In my situation, I want better blacks but being that my home theater has white ceiling and light colored walls, the JVC will be overkill. I will not be able to enjoy the blacks it can achieve.

Instead, I can stick with the 8000U and perhaps invest in an Oppo 03D which can be bought new from Amazon for about $600....

That alone will enhance my picture quality greatly as it can also serve as a video processor with it's integrated Darbee.

Once I purchase my home in the near future, where I will definitely have a dedicated HT room, then I can make the upgrade to a JVC.

For now, I will just keep playing the pj lottery until I get a good set from Amazon.

Thanks for the advices though, I really appreciate them. [emoji106]

Samsung UN65JS8500
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread