Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 176 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 265Likes

post #5251 of 5270 Old 08-23-2016, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PT-AE8000U disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Eye View Post
I have gone through quite a number of AE7000 and AE8000 units. I'm done with Panasonic projectors.
[...]
I purchased a Sony VPL-HW55ES from AVS. It has been amazing. It is a better projector in every single way. It wasn't cheap but how much is my sanity worth? Anyway, don't let Panasonic support push you around.
I too am done with Panasonic projectors.

Had a PT-AX100. Blue polarizer scorched. Out of warranty so fixed it myself, but wow that was a challenge. Overall image quality degraded a lot over 3.5 years and 3000 hours.

Replaced with PT-AR100. Great for first year, then color started shifting, B/W became a color gradient, lost contrast.

Figured can't be unlucky 3 times. I bought a new PT-AE8000U in May 2015. Out of box I was blown away. Lovely. For first month it was a revelation. Then blacks started turning green diagonally starting with corners. Got worse over months, Sometimes the problem would seem to abate. I didn't request repair because I didn't want to live without it; I use it every day for moves and games. Waited it out but after 1500 hours I had to face that the whole black field was green and contrast was shot. Lost the edge that made it great.

In May 2016 I engaged Panasonic support and they said send it in. Foolishly—and also presciently—I put it off, worried it would be gone for weeks, and that the fix might lead to other problems.

Finally sent Panasonic even though the unit had hit 2000 hours. Cost $75 to ship it to them and I had no promise from them to do anything. I was happy when they appeared to honor my warranty claim. They had the unit for one day and I got an email saying a return shipment was on the way. I hoped they swapped for a refurb and all would be well. But when it arrived the work order read replaced polarizers and optical block. I fired it up and while the blacks were no longer green, the image is now a dull blue/green with poor brightness. Just ugly color and soft. Weirdly the lamp hours count was changed to 384, down from a bit over 2000. But the serial# was the same as the one I shipped.

The same day I called Panasonic and explained the situation and my disappointment. The rep said she could escalate my complaint. Next day I got a call from another rep saying there was nothing they would do. The rep said "It's not going to look like it did when it was new" and that's it's unreasonable to expect as much. I explained that it is now worse than when I sent it and I wished I had not requested repair. I asked for a replacement and was told no. The rep was dismissive and explained that it was out of warranty, so to send it in for for further repairs would cost $150 to evaluate.

I let the rep know in very certain terms that I wasn't satisfied, what the steps were to remediation, and openly questioned Panasonic's regard for their reputation given my experiences. The rep said Panasonic cares very much about their reputation. I finished up by repeating everything I experienced and expected and that ended the dialog. No satisfaction. The rep had was annoyed that I pressed about it.

Based on 7 years and 3 Panasonics, each one nice to start then degrading, I'm done. And would caution anyone considering a Panasonic based on my experience. All units were bought new in US, and properly maintained. They just don't hold up.

I sold the AR100 for $500 after 2 years. It was still OK. But I am going to give the AE8000 away because I cannot reasonably ask anything for it. It certainly makes a picture, but it's nothing like out of box a year ago, nothing like the reviews and accolades that you read.

Whatever it is with Panasonic, it must be an essential design problem, and it must affect a lot of their product. Why else wouldn't they just honor my complaint and send me a fresh unit if my situation was a one off. I think the rep was being very honest when he said I just have to adjust my expectations (these things don't last).

OK. So resigned to disappointment. It all adds up. No successor to AE8000, weak support, and open questions about Panasonic leaving the business. Three strikes.

Next choice is 5030UB. Has always been main competitor and users gush over it. I'm sure it's good, but same basic design as AE8000, so was reluctant. Kept looking and realized from really parsing the specs and reviews that maybe I was under-estimating Sony.

Ordered VPL-HW45ES and been using for a couple weeks. This thing is in another league from the AE8000. My next comments are not hyperbole: the 45ES has an insanely great picture. Bright, incredibly accurate color, great detail, superb contrast. Beautiful dark scene rendering. No auto-iris! Quiet and fast. I remembered how much I loved the 8000 when I first set it up and the 45ES is a full step beyond that. Like a really great movie theater. Gorgeous.

So it all ends ok.

Just hoping Sony lasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 5270 Old 08-23-2016, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by _wire_ View Post
Ordered VPL-HW45ES and been using for a couple weeks. This thing is in another league from the AE8000. My next comments are not hyperbole: the 45ES has an insanely great picture. Bright, incredibly accurate color, great detail, superb contrast. Beautiful dark scene rendering. No auto-iris! Quiet and fast. I remembered how much I loved the 8000 when I first set it up and the 45ES is a full step beyond that. Like a really great movie theater. Gorgeous.

So it all ends ok.

Just hoping Sony lasts.
I have had my HW55ES for a year and a half now. I put 3000 hours on it before changing the lamp about 2 months ago. I'm still blown away by this thing. The picture looks as good as the day I got it.
post #5253 of 5270 Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Starting to notice on black scenes a round circle in the centre of my screen. It's not when the screen is completely black though. Any ideas what this could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5254 of 5270 Old 08-24-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Starting to notice on black scenes a round circle in the centre of my screen. It's noticble only when the screen is completely black though. Any ideas what this could be?

It's about 20cm diameter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5255 of 5270 Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Sounds like it might be the "green haze" a couple of us were complaining about 3 or 4 months ago. Basically, I sent mine out for service ($500 + $100 shipping) and they cleaned it. It's pretty good now, but the tech said that it was "full of dust". Follow the Panasonic recommendations and clean that filter!

Mike
post #5256 of 5270 Old 08-26-2016, 05:54 PM

The "green haze" is what plagued my AE8000 per my article above. I posed about it here in Summer / Fall of 2015. Started at the fringes of the picture at 100 hrs. By 1500 hrs contrast was shot. Color was OK except for blacks. It's like the black floor has become green. It didn't affect picture overall color rendering, the unit just would not make black anymore and lost its pop.

My situation is the fix looks worse than the problem. Maybe I overestimated this thing? I just remeber being very pleased when I first got it new and now 15 mos later it's got nothing to recommend it. What's very surprising is to hear Panasonic support say get used to it that's how they work, when everyting about Panasonic's literature and good reviews would have me think their position would be sorry to hear you've had a bad experience, we know we make a top performimg projector.

If a non-warannty fix for green haze costs $600 and you don't know what it's gonna look like when it comes back... yikes.

I must assume that regardless of how little is being said on this forum about it, this is not uncommon. Maybe others just get used to it?

Anyways, there are some other brands worth looking at. Of course maybe these devices are cans of worms. Over on the 5030UB area at avforum, users compain about other problems, strange noises, refuses to start, etc. Is it better?

I try to keep in mind computers are losing peoples data every day, and remeber that forums used to be full of nerds going gaga over CAV vs CLV Laserdiscs for $80 a pop too, so who says things are't getting better?
post #5257 of 5270 Old 08-28-2016, 02:48 PM

Hi all,

I have a Panasonic PT-AE8000U for almost 3 years. I love the projector, image quality, and 3d! However, in the last few months, I noticed a weird wrinkle in the upper right corner when there is a bright white image displayed. This is hard to show but I did my best with a video and pictures. I tried wiping the lens, I felt the screen and the screen is fine, if the image is dark it also doesn't appear.

It is hard to see in the video and picture but the video is clearer. The best way to describe it is like a wrinkle or sweat marks.

Greg

Link to video:

Please help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160828_121401.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1628249  

Last edited by Greg Frank; 09-01-2016 at 04:27 PM.
post #5258 of 5270 Old 08-30-2016, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I'd visited a high end AV show in Malaysia (a poor country in Asia). Panasonic was demoing its aging PT-AE8000. What a disappointment.
post #5259 of 5270 Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lamp Circuit Issues

Are there any known issues with the 'lamp circuit' on these units?

Had my 8000 for a little over a year with 750 hours on it and the lamp circuit warning indicator. Called Panny up, sent it for service, etc. I was actually pretty impressed with the experience - very little hassle, quick turnaround, etc. Got it back and it fired right up. One week and maybe 10 hours on the unit later, same thing happens....

This is my second projector in a little over two years. First was an Epson that crapped out 1 month after warranty and Epson told me to get bent and wanted $900 to repair. That led me to the Panny, which I picked up a little over a year ago.

Haven't had any other issues with the Panny, and a search didn't turn anything up. Just curious to know if anyone else has experienced this. Pretty annoyed having dropped four grand on projectors at this point....
post #5260 of 5270 Old 08-31-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 780
There are some issues with lamps where simply extracting the lamp from the 8000 fully, so break all electrical connections, and then reconnecting and inserting it, pushing it in firmly to be sure it is well seated, and then all is well. I can't guarantee that's what your issue is but it certainly can't hurt.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #5261 of 5270 Old 08-31-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseheadPilot View Post
Are there any known issues with the 'lamp circuit' on these units?
Called Panny up, sent it for service, etc. I was actually pretty impressed with the experience - very little hassle, quick turnaround, etc. Got it back and it fired right up. One week and maybe 10 hours on the unit later, same thing happens....
Was there any explanation or service invoice which explained what service Panasonic actually performed on your projector?
post #5262 of 5270 Old 08-31-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Was there any explanation or service invoice which explained what service Panasonic actually performed on your projector?
Yes, sorry, could have sworn I put that in my original post...cleaning and 're-seating' of parts. Someone from the repair facility called prior to shipping the projector back to me and stated the same thing - the unit was cleaned and there was nothing actually wrong with it, other than a board had been improperly seated at the factory.

Doesn't make much sense to me...
post #5263 of 5270 Old 08-31-2016, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, sorry, could have sworn I put that in my original post...cleaning and 're-seating' of parts. Someone from the repair facility called prior to shipping the projector back to me and stated the same thing - the unit was cleaned and there was nothing actually wrong with it, other than a board had been improperly seated at the factory.

Doesn't make much sense to me...
Hmmm.... Is there anything regarding your bulb's brightness that looks abnormal? Of course, it is really hard to tell as normally the bulb brightness level drops slowly enough that we just kind of get used to it... Makes me wonder if by chance the bulb itself is just defective and will need to be replaced early... Unfortunately, it sounds like another conversation with Panasonic tech support ... And since they "cleaned and checked it over and found nothing actually wrong with it", the next logical step would be for them to send you a replacement bulb..
post #5264 of 5270 Old 08-31-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Hmmm.... Is there anything regarding your bulb's brightness that looks abnormal? Of course, it is really hard to tell as normally the bulb brightness level drops slowly enough that we just kind of get used to it... Makes me wonder if by chance the bulb itself is just defective and will need to be replaced early... Unfortunately, it sounds like another conversation with Panasonic tech support ... And since they "cleaned and checked it over and found nothing actually wrong with it", the next logical step would be for them to send you a replacement bulb..
I haven't noticed the brightness decreasing, but as you said it's hard to pick that up if it's gradual...The support person I spoke to did mention a 'spot' on the bulb and offered to sell me a new one, but I assume they do this to everyone....

Not keen on dropping $350, especially if it doesn't fix the problem. Better than buying projector #3 I guess.
post #5265 of 5270 Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I haven't noticed the brightness decreasing, but as you said it's hard to pick that up if it's gradual...The support person I spoke to did mention a 'spot' on the bulb and offered to sell me a new one, but I assume they do this to everyone....

Not keen on dropping $350, especially if it doesn't fix the problem. Better than buying projector #3 I guess.
Isn't your projector under warranty yet? If purchased from an authorized dealer, you should have a 2 year warranty ... or I got a 3 year warranty as part of a special offer with Projector People... and I thought your hours are low enough yet...
post #5266 of 5270 Old 09-01-2016, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Isn't your projector under warranty yet? If purchased from an authorized dealer, you should have a 2 year warranty ... or I got a 3 year warranty as part of a special offer with Projector People... and I thought your hours are low enough yet...
It is, but the lamp only has a 90-day warranty.
post #5267 of 5270 Old 09-01-2016, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It is, but the lamp only has a 90-day warranty.
Yes, but in your case I would argue with Panasonic that the lamp is indeed fine... they supposedly checked it over and found nothing wrong... and that would include their assessment of your lamp. But, yet your projector is falsely indicating a lamp replacement indication.... which brings into play the possibility of another component at fault causing the problem. In my mind if the lamp still lights and looks normal, then this is a defect in the projector lamp monitoring circuit. I would at the very least argue for a large discount on a new lamp or for a special warranty on a new lamp to ease your mind..

Last edited by deano86; 09-01-2016 at 05:17 AM.
post #5268 of 5270 Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Panasonic PT-AT 6000e - locked MENU / unaccesible

the projector worked/works fine, but suddenly, almost all menu items are locked / unaacesible. With the remote, I can zoom or focus, but when I open the OSD menu, almost all items are grey a I can not to change any settings. And - even with the remote control, I can not use PICTURE MODE button - nothing happens when pressed.... Is there any safety lock activated, or what could happened? Factory reset in service menu does not help....

thanks
post #5269 of 5270 Old 09-01-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 780
There are some modes which are greyed out when the unit isn't currently receiving and active, locked input signal.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #5270 of 5270 Old 09-01-2016, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
There are some modes which are greyed out when the unit isn't currently receiving and active, locked input signal.
OOHH... my shame.... that was the cause. Thank you very much....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page