Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 310Likes

post #5491 of 5509 Old 04-18-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
UPDATE:

I'm going to stick with this bulb. Probably order a second, as a backup, for that price.
I would think that their supply of unused "open box" versions of this lamp at this sale price would be extremely limited... if they have any more of them at all... Or did they mention having more for sale? Doesn't list any more on their site, but calling them directly is probably the only way to be certain... Thanks for the update!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5509 Old 04-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
I would think that their supply of unused "open box" versions of this lamp at this sale price would be extremely limited... if they have any more of them at all... Or did they mention having more for sale? Doesn't list any more on their site, but calling them directly is probably the only way to be certain... Thanks for the update!
Interesting. I'd definitely call. I didn't see the 'open box' item on their site, but called to order the 'new' item, but wanted to ask questions first. It was at that point that he told me about/sold me on the open box item. After I ordered it on the phone, I was able to find it on their site, but now I'm not seeing it again. Perhaps there are not any more.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5493 of 5509 Old 05-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Looking at buying a PT-AE8000U but this particular one has some kind of convergence issue. Can this be easily fixed?

post #5494 of 5509 Old 05-04-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post
Looking at buying a PT-AE8000U but this particular one has some kind of convergence issue. Can this be easily fixed?
Nope...
post #5495 of 5509 Old 05-07-2017, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey there! I've bought a used PT-EA8000U with 2000 hrs old bulb. In CINEMA1 brightness 10 ftL (Eco) and 15 ftL (Normal) at distance 2.5 m on screen 70". Is it normal or I need a new bulb? All
modes (Cinema1,2, Rec.709, and even Normal) give reddish gray from 5 to 40-50 gradation without calibration. Is it of red-rich Panasonic lamp or I need again new lamp?
post #5496 of 5509 Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I ran 6k hours on my original bulb in ECO/High Altitude mode.
Worked just fine.
post #5497 of 5509 Old 05-12-2017, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am just in the process of setting my panny up and it is going to go behind a wall with a 6 inch hole cut out, how much of a gap do I need to leave at the front of the pj for the vent, would a gap big anough to just remove the lense cap be adequate or would I need more?
post #5498 of 5509 Old 05-13-2017, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim20 View Post
I am just in the process of setting my panny up and it is going to go behind a wall with a 6 inch hole cut out, how much of a gap do I need to leave at the front of the pj for the vent, would a gap big anough to just remove the lense cap be adequate or would I need more?
I would say more..... But, what is more important to know is what is the size of the space behind the wall that the projector will be mounted in? The lamp cooling exhaust for the 8000 blows out of the front.... to the left of the lens. So it will be critical that there is enough of a space or gap so that this isn't obstructed or it will just blow the hot air into whatever space the projector is mounted in .... if it is another whole room, it is probably OK. If not, overheating could be an issue.
sim20 likes this.
post #5499 of 5509 Old 05-14-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I would say more..... But, what is more important to know is what is the size of the space behind the wall that the projector will be mounted in? The lamp cooling exhaust for the 8000 blows out of the front.... to the left of the lens. So it will be critical that there is enough of a space or gap so that this isn't obstructed or it will just blow the hot air into whatever space the projector is mounted in .... if it is another whole room, it is probably OK. If not, overheating could be an issue.
Thanks for the reply, that has stopped me from making a huge mistake.
post #5500 of 5509 Old 05-14-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I did'nt know how to edit my previous post, does this suggest that it could be mounted close to wall if need be, is the vent at the rear air intake.

It has had dust blobs now 3 times and 3 times its been back to panasonic,it only has 438hrs on the lamp in 2 years, i was thinking perhaps having it wall mounted 6 inches from the wall could be the possible cause, hence rethinking the where to put the pj?
post #5501 of 5509 Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did'nt know how to edit my previous post, does this suggest that it could be mounted close to wall if need be, is the vent at the rear air intake.

It has had dust blobs now 3 times and 3 times its been back to panasonic,it only has 438hrs on the lamp in 2 years, i was thinking perhaps having it wall mounted 6 inches from the wall could be the possible cause, hence rethinking the where to put the pj?
Wall mounted should be totally fine... mine is mounted on top of a tall media cabinet at the back wall of my room. The intake for the fan is not at the back of the projector but on the right side when looking at the front of it. If you are getting dust blobs that often from only that low of hours, then you have some serious debris and/or intake filter problems it would seem..
post #5502 of 5509 Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Wall mounted should be totally fine... mine is mounted on top of a tall media cabinet at the back wall of my room. The intake for the fan is not at the back of the projector but on the right side when looking at the front of it. If you are getting dust blobs that often from only that low of hours, then you have some serious debris and/or intake filter problems it would seem..
I did think that it was a little abnormal, my pj is at the panasonic repair centre as of now, they are also replacing the optical block and lense for the second time, i think i will email them and further raise the issue and give the filter a mention, see where that gets me.
post #5503 of 5509 Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM

I am on the verge of getting shut of this pj, it feels like it has been one long headache from day one, I was mulling over the sony vpl-tw45, but i would hate to get one of those for it only to be marginally better or about the same as the panny, anyone any thoughts on this?
post #5504 of 5509 Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am on the verge of getting shut of this pj, it feels like it has been one long headache from day one, I was mulling over the sony vpl-tw45, but i would hate to get one of those for it only to be marginally better or about the same as the panny, anyone any thoughts on this?
Well, only you can decide when enough is enough..... Is all this work being done under warranty? Even so, I assume you are paying for shipping one way at least... What symptom are you getting the optical block and lens replaced again for? convergence? poor black level? Can't imagine how in world you have had dust blobs 3 times...
post #5505 of 5509 Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Well, only you can decide when enough is enough..... Is all this work being done under warranty? Even so, I assume you are paying for shipping one way at least... What symptom are you getting the optical block and lens replaced again for? convergence? poor black level? Can't imagine how in world you have had dust blobs 3 times...
All the work is being done under the warranty, and there is shipping is included in that so there is no expense for me pay out. There was excessive fringing, panel misalignement and that green haze which was gradually getting worse. Dust blob wise, i live in a very clean home that is cleaned and hoovered daily, everything possible to eliminate dust within reason.
It would seem by the manner in which you have replied especially in regards to the dustblobs that there could be something inherently wrong with this particular unit, I was starting to assume that having dust blobs on this pj was just a downside of this model.
My latest update from panasonic is that the optical block,lense is now having to ordered new from japan from scratch, and by the time I get it back it will have been at the repair centre for 7 weeks.

Last edited by sim20; Yesterday at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
post #5506 of 5509 Old Today, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 469 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3044 Post(s)
Liked: 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Has anyone purchased an "open box, unused" lamp replacement? I ordered one last night from AGI. They're an official Panasonic Reseller, and when I talked to him on the phone he said they came directly from Panasonic, in a Panasonic box with the filter and everything. If they weren't an official reseller, I wouldn't have wasted more time. I'm already returning a disappointing bulb from Projector Lamps 4 Less. Installed it and it put out less light than the lamp it replaced, which had over 2900 hours on it. If this "open box" lamp is disappointing, I'll return it, too, and get the new unit.

But I'll be anxious to see how it works out. $209 vs $352, same warranty & return policy.

Where did you find the link for this? Are they out or do I not know where to look?
http://www.audiogeneral.com/Panasonic/ptae8000u_psc.php

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
post #5507 of 5509 Old Today, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Where did you find the link for this? Are they out or do I not know where to look?
http://www.audiogeneral.com/Panasonic/ptae8000u_psc.php
I didn't actually find it on their site at first, I called to order the regular lamp. That's when he suggested the open box item. Not sure if they have more, but it's worth the phone call.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5508 of 5509 Old Today, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All the work is being done under the warranty, and there is shipping is included in that so there is no expense for me pay out. There was excessive fringing, panel misalignement and that green haze which was gradually getting worse. Dust blob wise, i live in a very clean home that is cleaned and hoovered daily, everything possible to eliminate dust within reason.
It would seem by the manner in which you have replied especially in regards to the dustblobs that there could be something inherently wrong with this particular unit, I was starting to assume that having dust blobs on this pj was just a downside of this model.
My latest update from panasonic is that the optical block,lense is now having to ordered new from japan from scratch, and by the time I get it back it will have been at the repair centre for 7 weeks.
Are you using a 3rd party warranty service? Panasonic is rembursing you for shipping the projector to them? I honestly didn't think it worked that way... That's surprising... but a very good thing considering all the work you have had done... Seriously though, you are reaching the point submitting a case for the lemon law... It varies state by state, and in many cases.. seems to mainly apply to autos, but in essence, if a product fails too many times while under warranty, you can request a purchase price refund or product replacement. If your environment is not excessively dusty then I would say there was or is still a defect in your lamp/optical block/intake filter assy. Just curious, do you always run in normal lamp mode?.. .with the fan running at it's high speed?
post #5509 of 5509 Old Today, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Are you using a 3rd party warranty service? Panasonic is rembursing you for shipping the projector to them? I honestly didn't think it worked that way... That's surprising... but a very good thing considering all the work you have had done... Seriously though, you are reaching the point submitting a case for the lemon law... It varies state by state, and in many cases.. seems to mainly apply to autos, but in essence, if a product fails too many times while under warranty, you can request a purchase price refund or product replacement. If your environment is not excessively dusty then I would say there was or is still a defect in your lamp/optical block/intake filter assy. Just curious, do you always run in normal lamp mode?.. .with the fan running at it's high speed?
I am UK based and the pj has been going direct to the Panasonic repair centre at no expense to myself. I wrote a lengthy email to them expressing my long term concerns about the pj, requesting under these somewhat abnormal circumstances that they extend the warranty to a further 2 years free of charge, it is an option over with an extra charge. They rang my personally yesterday and told my flat out no. I argued that there is a law in the UK stating that all electrical items have to fit for purpose for a certain period of time and this machine is not going to achieve that! Their arguement being that dustblobs are not covered by warranty and thus far they have gone above and beyond already with repairs as there as been no charge.

They said that there was an excessive amount of dust inside the machine so much so that they are left somewhat bewildered, suggesting that is I never maintain the pj correctly. I was asked if I clean the filter every 100 hours. I was offered a phone call from their commercial side on "projector maintainence" ...... I kid you not...... You can only imagine my response to that !
I suggested, was it possible that there could be something not right with the airtake, filter side of the pj, they did not know as that has never been checked, so that will also be looked at now.

A loan unit was offered, until my was repaired and to swap with mine if I wanted, I declined. Too much time has passed to set up a loan unit, and I do not want a refurbished B stock as a replacement for mine.

So the tech support manager is calling my back Thursday to further discuss the machine.

I run the projector in normal lamp mode, I like the extra brightness it offers over eco, and yes the fan is much louder in that mode, but nothing to excessive.

You correct about the lemon law and it is very much the same over here and that may well be the route I will head down.

All of this is real shame, when the pj is fault free it is a great piece of kit, but I have no confidence right not that it will last, repair free in the long term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , green , issue , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , PT-AE8000 , PT-AT6000 , PT-AT6000E , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread