Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 335Likes

post #5611 of 5623 Old 09-04-2017, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hi guys. I currently have a Panasonic PT-AE8000U, and of course, whenever I get a chance I try to impress my guests with great demo material, to ''spread the word''. Unfortunately most persons still have no idea how good modern projectors can be.

Usually I show them a selection of clips from movies, concerts, documentaries, and TV shows, trying to show a bit of everything, and most of these clips are between 3 and 5 minutes. However, lately I've been wondering if this type of short clips could have a negative impact on the projector's life. Is this a problem with the Panasonic?

When a video file ends and the next one starts automatically there's clearly a small pause - I'm using an OPPO 95 - and there's noise coming from the projector, which means there's potential wear.

The big question is... should I (we) try to play only long clips (movies, TV episodes, and so on), and avoid shorter clips, to minimize mechanical stress on the projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5623 Old 09-04-2017, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Your LCD panels and their polarizers degrade slowly with several thousand hours of use, regardless of video image content. The light bulb (which Panasonic calls a "lamp") also degrades in that its brightness slowly fades and the likelihood it will suddenly POP {self destruct} increases too. The projector has a built-in timer that clocks the hours of use and it will inform you when the lamp is due to be replaced. Only buy genuine PANASONIC brand lamps, which always come with a new air filter you also replace at the same time. Don't be tempted by the "we promise this lamp is just as good" clones often sold at much lower prices. They lie: their performance and longevity are inferior. [Trust me, I buy generic whenever I can but this is the one category where I don't because of the countless horror stories we read about in this and other Panny pj threads]

The only way to extend bulb life is to use ECO mode {a dimmer output} and the fast fan speed also called "high altitude mode" on some pjs because the air is thin for folks living up in the mountains so they need to push more across the lamp to keep it cool. (the fast fan can be annoyingly louder though, depending on how quiet your ambient room noise is )
woodhead2 likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-04-2017 at 05:54 PM.
post #5613 of 5623 Old 09-05-2017, 01:59 PM

Thanks for your post m. zillch. I'm aware of the LCD degradation, and the lamp's brightness reduction, but I have no control over them. On the other hand, if there's mechanical stress caused by playing short clips frequently, the solution is not playing them.
That's why I've been wondering about this noise coming from the Panasonic.

Initially I thought the noise could be due to a resolution change, but I re-checked and pretty much all my demo clips are 1080p.

Just to clarify, what happens is... Clip A ends, the screen goes black for 2 or 3 seconds, during which there is some noise coming from the projector, and cliip B starts. Basically, it's exactly the same process and noise that occurs whenever I stop a movie. But surely this occurs with all Panasonic PT-AE8000U projectors.

Truth be told, I'm not sure 100% if it's mechanical noise, I guess it could be the fan ramping up?

post #5614 of 5623 Old 09-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Thanks for your post m. zillch. I'm aware of the LCD degradation, and the lamp's brightness reduction, but I have no control over them. On the other hand, if there's mechanical stress caused by playing short clips frequently, the solution is not playing them.
That's why I've been wondering about this noise coming from the Panasonic.

Initially I thought the noise could be due to a resolution change, but I re-checked and pretty much all my demo clips are 1080p.

Just to clarify, what happens is... Clip A ends, the screen goes black for 2 or 3 seconds, during which there is some noise coming from the projector, and cliip B starts. Basically, it's exactly the same process and noise that occurs whenever I stop a movie. But surely this occurs with all Panasonic PT-AE8000U projectors.

Truth be told, I'm not sure 100% if it's mechanical noise, I guess it could be the fan ramping up?
Hi Silva.
IMHO, playing short clips will do no harm to the PJ. Maybe you're hearing the noise of the auto-iris working and the fan spining faster when the screen goes black. If you are turning on and off the PJ to often, then yes, the life span of the lamp will be shortened.
m. zillch likes this.
post #5615 of 5623 Old 09-05-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, I missed the part about hearing a noise.
If you hold your cellphone right up close to the pj and record this noise and post it as say a Youtube video, etc., I'd probably be able to identify what the noise is.

There are three kinds of noise that I am aware of:

- the variable speed main cooling fan. [Although as I understand it there's more than one fan in the pj.]

-the variable iris [which can under some video signal circumstances (or malfunction) can make a sort of fluttering sound like a humming bird's wings]

-the servo motor that controls the color filter's insertion or removal from the light path

It is normal for these things to make some slight noise and I wouldn't worry about wearing them out.
Silva741 likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #5616 of 5623 Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've purchased an AE8000 a couple months ago and I'm finally getting around to installation. So far quite happy with the picture but I have run into a problem when zooming between 16:9 and 2.35:1. The projector sits just above the screen and there is plenty of manual adjustment to achieve both sizes but it seems as I zoom the top of the image lowers therefor no automatic digital vertical adjustment can compensate. The only fix I have come up with is tilting the projector and using keystone to compensate.

Is this the only way I can fix the issue? Will my image quality reduce because of keystone?
post #5617 of 5623 Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you use the keystone adjustment you are no longer projecting a 1:1 pixel map of the incoming signal, i.e. you are reassigning what pixel goes where by a process called "scaling" which can often have subtle visual artifacts, so it is not ideal.

Panasonic isn't very explicit about it however several people besides just myself have pointed out that if at all possible it is best to project from no higher than the top edge of the screen [or bottom edge if projecting upward from a desk mounted position] to ensure the best image, especially when using the auto zoom feature for a constant image height when switching between 2.35 and 1.78 (16x9) aspect ratio material. Tilting the projector is not advised because the resulting projected image will be a trapezoid, not a rectangle, however in some instances you have to fudge things and tilting the projector and/or screen sometimes is your only way to correct for the less than optimal location you are attempting to project from.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-08-2017 at 08:38 AM.
post #5618 of 5623 Old 09-08-2017, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
If you use the keystone adjustment you are no longer projecting a 1:1 pixel map of the incoming signal, i.e. you are reassigning what pixel goes where by a process called "scaling" which can often have subtle visual artifacts, so it is not ideal.

Panasonic isn't very explicit about it however several people besides just myself have pointed out that if at all possible it is best to project from no higher than the top edge of the screen [or bottom edge if projecting upward from a desk mounted position] to ensure the best image, especially using the auto zoom feature for a constant image height when switching between 2.35 and 1.78 (16x9) aspect ratio material. Tilting the projector is not advised because the resulting projected image will be a trapezoid, not a rectangle, however in some instances you have to fudge things and tilting the projector and/or screen sometimes is your only way to correct for the less than optimal location you are attempting to project from.
Thanks for the info..
Might have to bite the bullet and lower the projector.
post #5619 of 5623 Old 09-10-2017, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc250D View Post
Thanks for the info..
Might have to bite the bullet and lower the projector.
Unfortunately that's the only way. I had to do exactly the same thing on my room. This Panasonic is a great projector, I'm very happy with it, but this peculiarity is a bit annoying.
post #5620 of 5623 Old 09-10-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the part about hearing a noise.
If you hold your cellphone right up close to the pj and record this noise and post it as say a Youtube video, etc., I'd probably be able to identify what the noise is.
This week I can't do it, but next week I'll definitely record the sound. Thank you very much.
post #5621 of 5623 Old 09-13-2017, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Panasonic repair

My Panasonic PT-AE8000U developed this persistent high-pitched noise during an operation, that I was unable to solve by myself.
It looks my PJ needs professional help.
Can somebody recommend a good service shop, that can fix it?
I'm in Philadelphia area, and would prefer to deal with it locally, but can ship, if local service is not available.
Appreciate your help.
best
post #5622 of 5623 Old 09-13-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

855-PSC-TECH (772-8324) Option 3
Monday - Sunday
24 hours

projectorsupport@us.panasonic.com

https://business.panasonic.com/on/de...gy-projectors_ Contact Support

I think many if not most places that say they will fix it actually end up sending it to Panasonic on your behalf, perhaps with an added fee.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...-suppliers.htm

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-13-2017 at 01:06 PM.
post #5623 of 5623 Old 09-14-2017, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you so much
Quote:
855-PSC-TECH (772-8324) Option 3
Monday - Sunday
24 hours

projectorsupport@us.panasonic.com

https://business.panasonic.com/on/de...gy-projectors_ Contact Support

I think many if not most places that say they will fix it actually end up sending it to Panasonic on your behalf, perhaps with an added fee.
Thanks a lot
I hope it can be fixed, because the noise makes it almost unusable
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...-suppliers.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , green , issue , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , PT-AE8000 , PT-AT6000 , PT-AT6000E , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page