Ok guys, I am done calibrating this toy. Here is what I think, but first some details about the conditions of the calibration:
- Screen white mat, Gain 1.0
- Bat cave, totally.
- Calman 5 Ultimate software
- Jeti 1211 spectro-radiometer
- Quantumdata QD-780 pattern generator
- ISF Advanced workflow
- All steps, including CMS
At first I checked all presets at their native settings. REC709 was almost dead on, but ridiculously low on light output. 9 fL on low lamp, and 10.5 fL on normal lamp. Dismissed!
All other presets except the Normal preset measured funny. Dismissed!
Opted for the Normal preset.
>>>>>>>>> Now a word for the calibrators among us. This is one of the worst interface I ever had to use for calibration. This is truly calibration hell. A few examples:
- There is no hide button on the remote so you can hide the menu or submenu of a parameter while running a sweep/spot measurement. So for each measurement you have to navigate out and in again to wherever you were. Boy, did I curse Panny today...
- For CMS, I didn't know if I had to laugh or to cry. For every change, you have to 1) apply 2) save to profile 3) save the name of profile 4) navigate out 3 more steps. Imagine that, for each of the 6 colors you have 3 axis. After a few like trials I just ran through and barely averaged everything. This is the dumbest CMS menu I ever saw in my experience.
In the end I managed to get a good picture, sort of (I am very very picky), in the Normal mode with normal lamp mode.
But I gotta say that next time a customer calls me for this Panny projector, I'll get a few aspirins first.