Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3589 Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster1958 View Post

I am interested in this PJ also...although that HTR review scared me a bit, particularly with respect to noise level (fan noise). Any comments from owners please? the unit is spec'd at a very respectable 22 dB in Eco mode, which is likley where i will run it.
Another question: Will the RPA universal mount work with this PJ without any additional adapter plate?
And a reply...my online research finds the $2,999 street price to be $2,899 now, minus another $100 for the rebate. B&H, among others...need to put it in the shopping cart first. Also an Amazon seller showing up at $2,632.
I was concerned also about the increased bulb/fan noise also. To my surprise my unit in comparison to my old one was no louder with the exception when one changes inputs or lamp setting she reeves up and down drawing attention to the sound. I really can't nail down the exact story on the fan changing speeds, but I guess that's good meaning its forgotten a few secs later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3589 Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 AM

Yea, just to follow up I am adjusting the keystone -1 my old unit was -2 and felt this did affect the clarity of the picture on the old unit.

I don't really have a way to change the height of my set up unless I want to ceiling mount mine which would also give me a chance to move it closer to the screen.
post #813 of 3589 Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstahl View Post

Yea, just to follow up I am adjusting the keystone -1 my old unit was -2 and felt this did affect the clarity of the picture on the old unit.
I don't really have a way to change the height of my set up unless I want to ceiling mount mine which would also give me a chance to move it closer to the screen.

I might be tempted to just zoom the image out a little more beyond the borders of the screen and leave the digital keystone correction turned off. Sure you're throwing away some image on the far edges but it might be a solution to avoid artifacts.
post #814 of 3589 Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

For 3D in Dynamic Mode, I just realized that the Sharpness control has a default value of 0 but can go to -2. At the default value of 0, there is edge enhancement/ringing/ghosting added, so I took it all the way down to -2 to get rid of that aberration.

In other modes the default value of 0 is a low as the control will go. However in these other modes there is some active effect even at 0 so it needs to be taken all the way down to get rid of it.
post #815 of 3589 Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I thought that this projector had the ability to make the picture larger when doing 2.4. But looking at the measurements on other web sites, the 2.4:1 image is the same width as any other projector from the same distance to the screen. This one just allows you to make a smaller 1.85:1/1.77:1 image within the 2.4.
post #816 of 3589 Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post

I thought that this projector had the ability to make the picture larger when doing 2.4. But looking at the measurements on other web sites, the 2.4:1 image is the same width as any other projector from the same distance to the screen. This one just allows you to make a smaller 1.85:1/1.77:1 image within the 2.4.

It works differently that this description. The LCD image panels are 1920x1080, so the native image is 16:9. Widescreen aspect ratios such as 2.35:1, 2.38:1, 2.4.1 etc. appear with a width of 1920 pixels but fewer than 1080 pixels vertically. That is, there are unused (black) pixels above and below the widescreen image. What the projector can do is zoom the widescreen image larger so that it fills the screen vertically. Of course you need to have a screen with an aspect ratio greater than 16:9 in order to see the full width of the image in the zoomed condition.
post #817 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke View Post

It works differently that this description. The LCD image panels are 1920x1080, so the native image is 16:9. Widescreen aspect ratios such as 2.35:1, 2.38:1, 2.4.1 etc. appear with a width of 1920 pixels but fewer than 1080 pixels vertically. That is, there are unused (black) pixels above and below the widescreen image. What the projector can do is zoom the widescreen image larger so that it fills the screen vertically. Of course you need to have a screen with an aspect ratio greater than 16:9 in order to see the full width of the image in the zoomed condition.

My current projector, a Sanyo PLV-Z3 is 138 inches from the wall and produces at the maximum a 102 by 57 inch 16 X 9 image. The Panasonic PT-AE8000 at 138 inches from the wall, produces a maximum 102 by 57 inch 16 X 9 image and a maximum 102 by 50 ich 2.4:1 image. I'm using the calculation on http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000-projection-calculator-pro.htm .
I don't know what you mean by "zoom the widescreen image larger". The maximum 2.4:1 image from the Sanyo and Panasonic from a 138 inch throw to the wall is the same.
post #818 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

The actual LCD imaging panels themselves are 16:9. Maybe these illustrations will help with my explanation. The screen depicted here is widescreen 2.35:1. The yellow color is the program content area.

post #819 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:

The actual LCD imaging panels themselves are 16:9. Maybe these illustrations will help with my explanation. The screen depicted here is widescreen 2.35:1. The yellow color is the program content area.

Here is a quick video to illustrate how the zoom memory works using a 2.35:1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #820 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, perfect video.
post #821 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 AM

Liked: 18
Quick question: what are people using as an "open gate" white screen in order to accurately measure the brightness in fL?
post #822 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM

Got this pj and love it so far. I've been trying to tweak some settings and find out what will work best for me but for some reason in the 3D menu options, the "3D viewing monitor" tab is unable to be selected. Anyone know why this is? Do i maybe have something else active in the settings which disable this option?

Also with my current setup i have to take full advantage of the keystone, I was reading that this could take away from picture quality, why/how?

Any help will be appreciated. TIA
post #823 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer707 View Post

Got this pj and love it so far. I've been trying to tweak some settings and find out what will work best for me but for some reason in the 3D menu options, the "3D viewing monitor" tab is unable to be selected. Anyone know why this is? Do i maybe have something else active in the settings which disable this option?
Also with my current setup i have to take full advantage of the keystone, I was reading that this could take away from picture quality, why/how?
Any help will be appreciated. TIA

Some of the settings remained grayed out unless there is a valid / relevant signal being input. For 3D Monitor to be active, there needs to be a 3D video signal present.

Keystone correction re-scales the image digitally. The result is a less-than-perfect representation of the original image. If your objective is maximum image fidelity, it's best to take whatever steps are necessary to avoid the need to use keystone correction.
post #824 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Some of the settings remained grayed out unless there is a valid / relevant signal being input. For 3D Monitor to be active, there needs to be a 3D video signal present.
Keystone correction re-scales the image digitally. The result is a less-than-perfect representation of the original image. If your objective is maximum image fidelity, it's best to take whatever steps are necessary to avoid the need to use keystone correction.
Thanks HMenke, I'll give that a try. Thats unfortunate about the keystone seeing how as if I don't take advantage of it, the image shape is unacceptable, IMO.
post #825 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer707 View Post

Thanks HMenke, I'll give that a try. Thats unfortunate about the keystone seeing how as if I don't take advantage of it, the image shape is unacceptable, IMO.

If the keystone scaling doesn't bother you, then go ahead and use it without a second thought!
Dozer707 likes this.
post #826 of 3589 Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Newest owner here....one piece of advice, after 3 hours: EXCELLENT

super bright, excellent colors, great blacks, simple setup, ultra quiet, zero light leakage.

I had to make a quick decision to replace my Sony VPL-HW10 that died. Maybe I am just overwhelmed by the state of technology today, and using a 4 year old $3,000 Sony as a basis of comparison is too easy.

So far i have barely tweaked it: hung it in same place; used the lens shift; the power zoom; then the focus. Out of the box "Normal Mode" was too bright for my room (cave; 106" screen; PJ lens about 10 feet from screen). RS702 Mode...or whatever it is called is a quick convenient setting and i liked it...put the lamp in ECO mode and shut off Dynamic Iris. Watched CBS HD football game then 60 Minutes. Turned back on Dynamic Iris halfway through, i think it was better.

Reds are outrageous...good..in my opinion.

For what it's worth, the 3 people watching liked 3 different Picture Modes, so clearly subjective reviews of PQ are just that. All i can say is i think I got a winner!
post #827 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 AM

Liked: 13
Someone else touched on this topic regarding focus, but I thought I should chime in on how it affects the Panasonic's 3D feature.

Setting the focus on this projector is tricky, and having the correct focus is imperative to the 3D performance. I tried this twice, focusing through the Panasonic menus where it instantly shows you a grid and you can very precisely focus to that grid. Both times focusing this way gave me a soft and very slightly blurry 2D picture (when watching a movie) and it adversely affected the 3D performance. I viewed Prometheus 3D this way and saw several places with ghosting/crosstalk which were mostly slight issues, but there were a few places where ghosting was glaringly obvious, e.g. white opening credit text, and then the scene 20 minutes in where they go into Charlize's fancy room and the (green screen) forest image in the back is hardly visible due to crosstalk. I didn't realize this was due to my focus, but I kinda knew that my focus seemed to be slightly off in the 2D special features, So instead of focusing on the grid or text, I focused my projector on a close-up of a man's face by twisting the focus ring on the lens and pushing the focus buttons on the side of the projector, i.e. I didn't go through the menus since (going through the menus forces you to focus on their grid). Once I focused on the details of a person's face, the 3D before and after was almost night and day. I didn't see ghosting in white text in the opening credits, and ghosting in places (like the back of Charlize's room) was no longer there, or hardly visible, but mostly just not there. And the 3D picture looked sharper and clearer, which I didn't know was out of focus to begin with since the focus was very slightly off. Also, strangely, the 3D image looked brighter. So overall, the 3D on this projector looks amazing! Although, of course, not as bright as 2D b/c of the glasses, but it still looks amazing. smile.gif
post #828 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Great report on your 3D experience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfanatic View Post

...I focused my projector on a close-up of a man's face by twisting the focus ring on the lens and pushing the focus buttons on the side of the projector, i.e. I didn't go through the menus since (going through the menus forces you to focus on their grid).

Just to make your life a little easier, if you enter the focus menu and hit Enter again, it will cycle to another pattern. If you hit Enter a second time, it will drop the patterns and show you the program material. So then, you can stand closer to the screen and adjust focus remotely.
Cobb28 likes this.
post #829 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM

I have a problem perhaps you guys can help out with...

This weekend I finally hooked up my xbox 360 Elite in my theater. Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me get HDMI to work from the xbox to the projector!

I currently have a Denon 4311CI AV receiver outputing HDMI to the projector. For Inputs I have successfully connected my Oppo BPD-93, PS3 and a SA HD Cable DVR. No problems doing HDMI with any of those, but the Xbox wont do HDMI -- it will do component, and will do HDMI just fine on my Samsung Plasma upstairs. I've even connected the xbox directly to the projector and cant get video so I'm quite sure its not the Denon mucking up the handshaking.

I've even tried other HDMI inputs on the projector. In all cases though I've had the projector on BEFORE the xbox (and not the other way around). I know that the xbox will not start properly until an output HDMI device handshakes with it.

Can anyone help? I've tried resetting the video on the xbox (using the A + RT trick) and turning off Automatic Device Discovery on the xbox and that didnt work. I even attempted to blindly navigate to the settings menu after the xbox was up and running.

Thanks for your help

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #830 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Speaking of focus is there a difference at the projector vs the remote? Or did you find standing back from the screen and looking at a face was easier?

Can you share with us did you watch Prometheus in Dynamic? I saw this as my first 3D movie and struggled with focus and accidentally choose Dynamic.
It took a while and way too many adjustments for any movie, but Wow Wow Wow never did I see ghosting for the rest of the movie!
post #831 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaico View Post

I have a problem perhaps you guys can help out with...
This weekend I finally hooked up my xbox 360 Elite in my theater. Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me get HDMI to work from the xbox to the projector!
I currently have a Denon 4311CI AV receiver outputing HDMI to the projector. For Inputs I have successfully connected my Oppo BPD-93, PS3 and a SA HD Cable DVR. No problems doing HDMI with any of those, but the Xbox wont do HDMI -- it will do component, and will do HDMI just fine on my Samsung Plasma upstairs. I've even connected the xbox directly to the projector and cant get video so I'm quite sure its not the Denon mucking up the handshaking.
I've even tried other HDMI inputs on the projector. In all cases though I've had the projector on BEFORE the xbox (and not the other way around). I know that the xbox will not start properly until an output HDMI device handshakes with it.
Can anyone help? I've tried resetting the video on the xbox (using the A + RT trick) and turning off Automatic Device Discovery on the xbox and that didnt work. I even attempted to blindly navigate to the settings menu after the xbox was up and running.
Thanks for your help

My guess is that you have a configuration problem with your receiver or a bad HDMI input. For example, on some recievers you can modify which physical inputs are assigned to a specific 'input setting' (ex: HDMI-1 is assigned to TV/CBL, HDMI-2 is assigned to DVD, etc).

Try starting everything up with a component that works with HDMI (such as the oppo), then plug your xbox into that HDMI port just to see if it works.

||
post #832 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Yeah I already did that. Didnt work.
And like I said -- I connected the xbox directly to the projector as well.

--

post #833 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dumb question here but how do you (or...can you...) register this thing for warranty? I can't find any links from the product page and this consumer registration page doesn't list any projectors.

HMenke,

Did you manage to register your projector? If yes, do you mind to share the information about how to do it?

Anyone else?

post #834 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

HMenke,
Did you manage to register your projector? If yes, do you mind to share the information about how to do it?
Anyone else?

No I did not. I am assuming that the record of my purchase from an authorized retailer constitutes my projector's eligibility for the warranty. If I have a problem I will contact Panasonic with my invoice in hand.
post #835 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have never had this problem, but I always have the AVR on before I turn on the Xbox. The Xbox handshakes with the AVR.
post #836 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I did not. I am assuming that the record of my purchase from an authorized retailer constitutes my projector's eligibility for the warranty. If I have a problem I will contact Panasonic with my invoice in hand.

Thanks!

I sent already the rebate form (glasses, $100 check and 3 year warranty). So, I am hoping they will respond back with a confirmation that everything has been processed and some other material about the extended warranty. Not holding my breath and therefore, the reason I'm asking around........wink.gif

post #837 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

There was an attempt to deliver a signature-required package to my home today, but no one was here when the delivery arrived. If anyone already got their free glasses, do you remember if they had to be signed for?
post #838 of 3589 Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems like a decent troubleshooting guide.
post #839 of 3589 Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Seems like a decent troubleshooting guide.

And that from a South African site - can you believe that!

(some parts of this country is still 1st world wink.gif )

Will

post #840 of 3589 Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbejaan View Post

And that from a South African site - can you believe that!
(some parts of this country is still 1st world wink.gif )
Will

Smart people live everywhere - hats off to your techies! smile.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page