Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by afurdell View Post

Mostly PC, but I think I remember seeing it with TV too. I need to keep a closer eye on it. Today I reset all the settings to factory in case I accidentally touched something I shouldn't have.

Have you used your 8000 with a 24p capable blu-ray player? That may put your mind at ease. With other sources, there are so many variables that it may be impossible to find the root cause. Cable has so many transmission steps that we never really know how much the final signal has been compressed, decompressed, interupted, etc. Also, as the PJ's become more accurate and refresh at higher rates, we may just be seeing stuff that was always there, but just not as "clear." Kind of like how popular actors suddenly look a whole lot less attractive when rendered in high-def. tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikashc View Post

Seems like you are already into cleaning the thing.
Well, I have not started investigating the mechanics of the PJ yet. So can't help you there.
I ll clean the filter when I reach the 100 hour mark,

Yep. I passed the 100 hour mark in the last couple of days. Fortunately, I was able to just vacuum the filter surface without removing the filter from the projector, but eventually I will need to take the filter out. I'm sure somebody will read this, feel challenged, and figure it out.
post #93 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, it worked once I set Frame Creation. It was not set in 3D mode.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers

Glad you figured it out. I haven't fully investgated, but I suspect that some of the display settings are input specific. I have my blu-ray feeding into HDMI 2 and everything else into HDMI 1 via my AVR. It seems that some of the settings don't carry over to the other input.

Also, for those with programable remotes, I've figured out something (disappointing) about the "function" key on the 8000 remote. I was hoping that when it was set to invoke a specific function (e.g. lamp power), that it was sending a discreet code that could be captured by my programable remote. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The PJ remembers what the function key was last set to, and the remote simply tells the PJ to run that function. I spent a few minutes scratching my head yesterday after thinking I had programed five different functions into my programable remote, only to find that pressing any of the keys just brought up the last one I had entered. So far, the remote is the only thing that I've found to be a step backwards from my earlier AE900 and AE2000 projectors. I'm still using the nice back lit programable remote from the AE2000 with the 8000. For some reason, I just really like the way those remotes work. Easy to program and a reasonable balance between capability and simplicity.
swade507 likes this.
post #94 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
terrible news on the remote. Sad that pana has not figured out this is a basic need for a dedicated home theatre setup. Slaps forehead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

Quote:

Yup, it worked once I set Frame Creation. It was not set in 3D mode.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers

Glad you figured it out. I haven't fully investgated, but I suspect that some of the display settings are input specific. I have my blu-ray feeding into HDMI 2 and everything else into HDMI 1 via my AVR. It seems that some of the settings don't carry over to the other input.

Also, for those with programable remotes, I've figured out something (disappointing) about the "function" key on the 8000 remote. I was hoping that when it was set to invoke a specific function (e.g. lamp power), that it was sending a discreet code that could be captured by my programable remote. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The PJ remembers what the function key was last set to, and the remote simply tells the PJ to run that function. I spent a few minutes scratching my head yesterday after thinking I had programed five different functions into my programable remote, only to find that pressing any of the keys just brought up the last one I had entered. So far, the remote is the only thing that I've found to be a step backwards from my earlier AE900 and AE2000 projectors. I'm still using the nice back lit programable remote from the AE2000 with the 8000. For some reason, I just really like the way those remotes work. Easy to program and a reasonable balance between capability and simplicity.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #95 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Have you used your 8000 with a 24p capable blu-ray player? That may put your mind at ease.

I have a bit, and I don't remember any frame drop problems at the time. I'll keep an eye on it.
Quote:

With other sources, there are so many variables that it may be impossible to find the root cause. Cable has so many transmission steps that we never really know how much the final signal has been compressed, decompressed, interupted, etc.

I'm using an antenna, so all my HD is uncompressed. I'm thinking my PC problem may be refresh-rate related? I'll post an update if I figure this out.
post #96 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 AM

Liked: 11
All, this is my first post to this forum but not my last. Now the PT AE8000 is out in the wild so to speak I have a couple of questions. I am in Canada and we have to wait until mid November apparently for this baby. Mine is on order. My first question regards source. I recently sold my Oppo BDP-93 and have ordered the BDP-103 to replace it. Still trying to coordinate the arrival of both around the same time. The Oppo will upconvert to 4K but I don't think I will be able to use this with the 8000? I have a Pioneer Elite SC-09 as my receiver and intend to run the 8000 direct from the Oppo, then run my cable box through the HDMI input. Is anyone else here running this configuration? Previous projector was a Sony VPLHW-15 so I am hoping that the 8000 will be a significant upgrade.

Cheers,

Ian in Ottawa Canada
post #97 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 12:23 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on this to replace my 4000 which I have loved for the past 2 years.

One question, which glasses to get? 3rd generation definitely, but I am having a hard time finding out which model number they are.
Does anyone have a link or know what the model number is for the 3rd generation glasses? And what size is recommended? Medium or LARGE?

Thanks! CANT WAIT to get this, looks promising!
post #98 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD33 View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on this to replace my 4000 which I have loved for the past 2 years.
One question, which glasses to get? 3rd generation definitely, but I am having a hard time finding out which model number they are.
Does anyone have a link or know what the model number is for the 3rd generation glasses? And what size is recommended? Medium or LARGE?

Check the three sizes of third gen Panny glasses at the bottom of the following link. The detail pages list a head circumference guide for sizing. The new rebate offer only provides medium size, so if in doubt, you might go ahead and buy a large right away. That's what I did so I could enjoy the 3D from day one.

http://www.visualapex.com/accessories/accessoriespage.asp?Type=3D_Glasses
post #99 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 PM

Hi Guys,
Needed some general feedback on the 3D for this projector.
Do you guys, watch 3D in the Cinema 1 mode or Dynamic mode, for that matter any other mode ? . And do you guys set the 3D glasses setting to Norma,Light or Dark ?
post #100 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:

I'll post an update if I figure this out.

UPDATE! I think my problem was PC-specific. In fact, I think it happens because I replaced my system drive with a fancy new solid state drive (they're way cheap now, startup takes seconds, I recommend it highly). My media is on high-capacity but slower spinning drives. Copying the data over to the SSD seems to have solved my problem. (Also I just watched a blu-ray and saw no dropped frames.)

Now if I can just get the Harmony 900 to play nice I'll be in business. Incidentally you can also turn off the PJ by pressing enter twice, but so far I can't get the remote to do that correctly with any consistency.
post #101 of 3617 Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD33 View Post

BHPhoto&Video has the pannys EW3D3X glasses for $100 a pair and $50 each onwards...
I bought 3 pairs elsewhere for $65 :-(
Later I found BHphoto has the glasses, much cheaper! So...thats the cheapest I ve seen them anywhere.
Sadly I missed out on those.
post #102 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 AM

This thread is now 5 pages long and there are few 8k owners here but almost nothing about ghosting/crosstalk experiences. A request to all owners: please post your ghosting/crosstalk experiences: i am dying to here them specially from former 7k owners!
post #103 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 AM

Any of you guy who passed the 100th hr mark -- any flicker issues yet?
post #104 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltar View Post

This thread is now 5 pages long and there are few 8k owners here but almost nothing about ghosting/crosstalk experiences. A request to all owners: please post your ghosting/crosstalk experiences: i am dying to here them specially from former 7k owners!

If everyone else is anything like me, you won't hear a peep until we get our free 3D glasses.
post #105 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltar View Post

Since no is talking bout ghosting and cross talk...it basically means that it is almost non existent .
Else wouldn't we all be cribbing about it by now.
To answer your question directly, While watching a few 3D movies and documentaries, I found v v little crosstalk/ghosting. In a 90 min documentary, there was less than a sec of crosstalk present.
And in other hollywood movies, the same thing...a sec or two in the entire movie,,,which is pretty good..since I found theaters had a lot more ghosting in the past, when they were using active 3D.
I do not have a 7K. But my Sammy LED has a lot of cross talk and ghosting. So I know which scenes to look for ...and I get quite irritated with the ghosting on my Samsung Series7 LED.
So I am a happy camper with this one. And for me the Panny 8k is a keeper..
post #106 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helcio.carvalho View Post

Any of you guy who passed the 100th hr mark -- any flicker issues yet?

It was me, and I'm now around 120. Haven't noticed a flicker yet.
post #107 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Guys,
Needed some general feedback on the 3D for this projector.
Do you guys, watch 3D in the Cinema 1 mode or Dynamic mode, for that matter any other mode ? . And do you guys set the 3D glasses setting to Norma,Light or Dark ?

So far, I've only used the glasses in normal. I have used eco, normal and dynamic for 3D, and either the normal or dynamic seems to work great. I watched Journey 2 in dynamic in order to bring out the "punch" in the many very colorful scenes. Good 3D movie for all ages btw.
post #108 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:

It was me, and I'm now around 120. Haven't noticed a flicker yet.

Glad to hear. I'll wait till one one of you guys reaches 250 hrs. If I see no flicker complaints I'll move from the 7K to the 8K (my new 7K lamp is flawless but I'd love to have some more light in the Normal mode for 3D).
post #109 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

So far, I've only used the glasses in normal. I have used eco, normal and dynamic for 3D, and either the normal or dynamic seems to work great. I watched Journey 2 in dynamic in order to bring out the "punch" in the many very colorful scenes. Good 3D movie for all ages btw.

I use DYNAMIC for 3D in my 7K for brightness, but the color accuracy goes down the drain. Is Normal mode bright enough for 3D? If it is, why do you still use Dynamic?
post #110 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use DYNAMIC for 3D in my 7K for brightness, but the color accuracy goes down the drain. Is Normal mode bright enough for 3D? If it is, why do you still use Dynamic?

That's probably a matter of personal. taste. I would say that Normal is fine for everything that I've watched, but if your're watching an eye candy movie, and want a bit more "punch," then Dynamic is another option.
post #111 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

UPDATE! I think my problem was PC-specific. In fact, I think it happens because I replaced my system drive with a fancy new solid state drive (they're way cheap now, startup takes seconds, I recommend it highly). My media is on high-capacity but slower spinning drives. Copying the data over to the SSD seems to have solved my problem. (Also I just watched a blu-ray and saw no dropped frames.)
Now if I can just get the Harmony 900 to play nice I'll be in business. Incidentally you can also turn off the PJ by pressing enter twice, but so far I can't get the remote to do that correctly with any consistency.

That's great to hear. I'm curious to see how my new DVR from Comcast does tonight with Once Upon a Time. That is the show where I noticed some anomalies, but since it is filmed at 24fps, put through 3:2 pulldown to 720p/60 by ABC, and then in my old DVR interlaced and scaled to 1080i/60 before being sent to my PJ, I don't think the PJ was doing anything other than accurately displaying the crap it was receiving. The hand held camera work in that show doesn't help either. Great show though.
post #112 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Hudson, thank you for this....I was wondering if this PJ could handle a large screen and your post has eased my mind!

Cool, man glad it helped you. I was concerned for a while too. Gonna be able to run the life of this bulb out and switch to normal from eco at 1500-2000h or so.

Hey guys, how do we send in for the free glasses? I don't see anything in my box for it?

Cheers,

Hudson
post #113 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HudsonK,
Call the place where you purchase from and they can tell you where to get the rebate claim form.

post #114 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 169
HudsonK,

Here you go:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Rebates_Promos/123112_PANASONIC_forlife.pdf

http://www.projectorpeople.com/SLIS/downloads/rebates/Panasonic/PANPTAE8000U_rebate_123112.pdf

http://www.visualapex.com/ProductSupport/PT-AE8000U_promo2.pdf

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #115 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:

But does DYNAMIC mess with the colors as it does on the 7k?
post #116 of 3617 Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:

But does DYNAMIC mess with the colors as it does on the 7k?

I don't know of any projector that dynamic does not mess up the colors.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #117 of 3617 Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #118 of 3617 Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 PM

Can anyone tell me if the lens shift works with lens memory? With my current Epson 1080ub, when I zoom in for cinema-scope I have to lens shift down, and then shift back up when returning to 16:9. If I had to do this manually with the Panny it would defeat the whole purpose of lens shift. My pj is mounted on a shelf about even with the bottom of the screen.
post #119 of 3617 Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I don't know of any projector that dynamic does not mess up the colors.

OK -- got it. Thanx.
post #120 of 3617 Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM

I AM ALSO VERY MUCH INTERESTED IN THE 8000U.IT IS GETTING RAVE REVIES ALL.OVER THE INTERNET.THE PANASONIC AND JVC 4810 ARE GOING TO HAVE TO DUKE IT OUT FOR MY HARD EARNED MONYEY.WITHIN A FEW WEEKS I WILL OWN ONE OF THESE TO LIGHT UP MY 1.2 130" SCREEN
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page