Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 41 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 3846 Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.woodhouse View Post

I have also experienced the same picture loss as Purbeast & others several times now, it happened twice within a minute when watching a Blu ray last night 15 minutes into the film then performed perfectly for 3 hours.

My 10m hdmi cable is linked directly to my Panasonic Blu ray player so I think handshake problems are unlikely.

I don't think this is related to the flicker problem as this seems more like a signal loss (the screen goes blue then the input menu is displayed on screen) rather than fluctuations in light.

I thought I had fixed my issue by switching the input on the rear of my projector to input 2. I had the projector on multiple inputs over 5+ hours straight so I figured it was fine.

Then last night I put on a movie in my PS3 and within the first 15 minutes or so, it flickered off again 3x in a row like it had previously. Additionally, I have my background color set to black, and the default is blue, so maybe if I had it on the default blue I would be seeing blue flickering instead of black.

But then I had my projector on for probably 5 more hours after, and it didn't happen once.

So I'm not sure.

FWIW, my HDMI cable is a 25' Blue Rigger brand. It is highly rated and high speed as well.

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B005LQ83EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360543145&sr=8-1&keywords=25%27+hdmi+cable+blue+rigger

I just hope this is something that doesn't pop up all the time. And when it does, it is usually happens 3x in a row, and the sound never cuts out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 3846 Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is there any way to change screen alignment how can i enter there

how can i enter service menu plz help
post #1203 of 3846 Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Liked: 11
Price dropped to $2599.99 after you add to cart = Authorized Dealer: eek.gif
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=projector+panasonic+ae8000&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

Waithing 2 more months... $2200 - wishful thinking.biggrin.gif..
post #1204 of 3846 Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

Price dropped to $2599.99 after you add to cart = Authorized Dealer: eek.gif
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=projector+panasonic+ae8000&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma.

Thanks! Was just shopping for this and that puts it in my wheelhouse.

Looks like I can throw this at 120 from as close as 12 feet. Anyone know of any issues, seems like alot of people put it a little further back but I need to be between 13-15 feet. Wondered if you mount further back just b/c of your mounting options or for a better picture?
post #1205 of 3846 Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurVandelay View Post

Looks like I can throw this at 120 from as close as 12 feet. Anyone know of any issues, seems like alot of people put it a little further back but I need to be between 13-15 feet. Wondered if you mount further back just b/c of your mounting options or for a better picture?

I'm around that throw distance (12 ft) without issues. Here is a pic of my room using a 120" screen with 16:9 aspect ratio with the lights on.

DrZaus and bdfanatic like this.
post #1206 of 3846 Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurVandelay View Post

Visual Apex also has same deal , they include a bonus Disney's Wow calibration disc.. - also a authorized dealer...

I'm looking at my similiar set up , my room is 17w 25L , I was looking into a 150 inch 2.35.1 screen.. , do you think if I put the projector back about 16 feet, loose any picture quality? or should I go further back?
post #1207 of 3846 Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

I'm around that throw distance (12 ft) without issues. Here is a pic of my room using a 120" screen with 16:9 aspect ratio with the lights on.

Nice set-up.. What brand is that screen and gain? curious..smile.gif
post #1208 of 3846 Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 AM

I have seen the same with my unit. Did you contact Panasonic on this? I can only see during a dark or grey picture. During normal viewing or something on the screen, it do not see it.
post #1209 of 3846 Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 AM

I have the same issue in the same location. Did you contact Panasonic? It started after a few hundred hours. It looks like light bleeding to the top right and bottom left corners. I have my projector inverted as it is mounted from the ceiling. Did you find a correction? I do not see it much once their is something in the picture.
post #1210 of 3846 Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrebello View Post

I have the same issue in the same location. Did you contact Panasonic? It started after a few hundred hours. It looks like light bleeding to the top right and bottom left corners. I have my projector inverted as it is mounted from the ceiling. Did you find a correction? I do not see it much once their is something in the picture.

rrebello,

Just so that other members don't get confused, you are responding too my previous post regarding the same light leakage projected on 2 screen corners which makes them look more grey & less black than the rest of the area, it's mostly visible on a full black image.

With not seeing any other 8000 in action I have no comparison to evaluate if this is within specification.

I am not sure if the technical term is poor light uniformity but I am sure that more experienced members could confirm this.

As this projector has no other problems,convergence is excellent, 3D is virtually crosstalk free & 99% of the time the problem's not visible I can live with it & hope it doesn't get any worse over time.

I have just ordered the Disney WOW calibration disc, maybe it will improve once tweaked.

A member on the old PTAE4000 thread reported the same issue & contacted Panasonic who claimed it was normal & caused by the dynamic iris, but I remain to be convinced.
post #1211 of 3846 Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Liked: 17
PT-AE8000U vs Epson 5020UB: Hands-On Experience

Hi All. Recently tried out both the Epson 5020UB and the Panasonic PT-AE8000U and thought my experience could be helpful to others. Also just wanted to contribute back a little since I used a lot of this forum's posts to help me through the buying process.

This winter I decided it was time to upgrade from my 2006-vintage Optoma HD72 (720p 1-chip DLP). I had read some really good reviews of the AE4000 a few years ago and had it stuck in my head that I would just get the latest Panasonic when I upgraded. So, I picked up an AE8000, which would project onto a new 110" 1.0 gain fixed screen in my family room.

AE8000 First Try
  • I think it goes without saying that it blew the HD72 out of the water (1080p, 3D, brightness, color saturation). Was a little surprised, though, by the size of 3LCD pj's, the HD72 was only 7lbs.
  • Unfortunately, the Panny's focus uniformity was terrible. I could never get the upper right corner of the image to focus together with the rest of the image. It was more than just a little soft in that corner, it was straight up blurry. Convergence also seemed a bit dodgy, but not horrendous.
  • Color uniformity was not good. On a grey or white test pattern, there was a pronounced red to green tinted gradient from upper left to lower right. This is not something that I noticed with normal content without specifically looking for it, but it was disconcerting to know that there was an underlying color problem.
  • After a couple of weeks, I noticed 3 faint blue splotches when the image was dark. Maybe these were dust particles trapped in the light path somewhere.

Although I was having a lot of fun with it, I finally decided I must have a defective unit and returned it. I also read some reviews of the Epson which suggested it might have better optics, so decided to give it a try.

5020UB Gets a Shot
  • This didn't start well. Out of the box, the Epson powered up but then just sat there. No picture via HDMI, couldn't even bring up the menu using the remote or on-board buttons. I thought it was DOA. Once I unplugged HDMI, I could get the menu to come up, but as soon as I plugged it back in, the projector would stop responding to input. After poking around the menus for an hour I finally discovered the culprit was the HDMI-Link feature. After turning it off, the projector functioned normally. With HDMI-Link turned on, though, the pj was basically a brick. Unfortunately, this is a feature that I use and it worked great on the Panny. Seems like a firmware bug, but I couldn't find a lot of other reports of this problem. Could be other people just assumed their unit was DOA and didn't investigate further.
  • The optics were fantastic. Focus uniformity was virtually perfect, and color uniformity looked almost perfect as well. Seeing the 5020's picture just confirmed that something was seriously wrong with the AE8000U unit that I had.
  • The screen door effect was a lot more noticeable on the Epson than on the Panasonic, though. Reminded me a little of when Phantom Menace first came out in theaters with digital projection.
  • The motorized lens cover was pretty cool, but the lens shift controls were terrible. The dials' action had a ton of slack before they actually started moving the picture, and one dial would drag the other unless you held it in place. Basically you can't legitimately call one horizontal and the other vertical, because one doesn't stay in place while you're adjusting the other. Maybe I had a bad unit, but I much preferred the Panny's lockable joystick.
  • Put this in the category of features you don't value until you lose them, but having motorized remote-controlled focus/zoom control on the Panny was really nice. The Epson doesn't have this.
  • NOISE. I didn't realize how quiet the Panny was until I tried the Epson. The noise on the 5020 was just intolerable for me. Loud scenes with explosions or music would mask it, but any quiet scene with dialogue would be totally spoiled for me by the noise. Switching the lamp to eco mode made it acceptably quiet, but why do I want to run the projector in a gimped mode?

The HDMI-Link issue aside, I thought the Epson's picture looked great, but the noise was a complete deal-breaker. I just wouldn't be able to enjoy the viewing experience, but YMMV. I decided to roll the dice and try another AE8000U.

AE8000U Part Deux
  • Projector People sent me another AE8000U, and this time they told me they would, with my permission, quality check the unit before sending it out.
  • Whatever they did, it worked. This new unit had great focus uniformity. Was able to focus the entire picture very well.
  • Grey/white test patterns still showed a bit of red/green gradient, but significantly improved from that first unit. Still not as good as the Epson, but well within what seems acceptable for this price range.
  • If I stand within inches of the screen, I pick up a little blue fringing on convergence test patterns. But, white lines and pixels are sharp and clearly white, so I don't think it's a problem with actual pixel misalignment, but perhaps less than completely perfect optics or lens elements. Further than a foot away, though, this was invisible.
  • Overall, unless I was looking at test patterns, the picture looked every bit as good as the Epson, and maybe better because of the reduced screen door effect.
  • noise. Fortunately, the quietness of that first Panny unit wasn't a fluke. This new one was just as quiet, and a welcome relief from the Epson. I realized it wasn't just the volume, but the character of the fan noise that was different, and much more annoying on the Epson.

Bottom Line
  • Picture: comparing the Epson to the good Panny unit, I think I would have been very happy with the picture from either one. They were both really good. Epson might have slightly better optics, but that could easily vary between units. Panny has the better screen door (non)-effect.
  • I don't know if the Epson's HDMI-Link problem was just that unit, or more endemic, but the Panny's equivalent (Viera-Link) worked great with my Sony audio receiver, and means I can use just one remote (DirecTV) instead of three to turn my whole setup on and off, just as convenient as a standalone TV.
  • There's no comparison on the noise. I suppose it depends on your install location, but even standing 8-10 feet from the Epson, it was still bothersome to me.
  • I ultimately decided to keep the Panasonic, and am very happy with the purchase now. The noise issue in particular was the deciding factor, and overcame the advantages the Epson had in terms of better warranty/exchange policy, as well as the bundled 3D glasses without the rebate hassle. I realize noise is subjective, though, and it might be fine for other people. Honestly, if I didn't mind the noise, or if my install was arranged in a way that mitigated the sound, I probably would have kept the Epson.

Also, I highly recommend Projector People, they treated me very well. Hope this is useful for you guys!
HMenke, fgsouza and Cobb28 like this.
post #1212 of 3846 Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

Nice set-up.. What brand is that screen and gain? curious..smile.gif

120" 16:9 Elite Screen ER120WH1 - Gain 1.1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00366S0UW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00
post #1213 of 3846 Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM

Liked: 16
I have green up in the upper right hand side on a black screen, when I adjust the brightness and green brightness it will shift from top right/bottom left to top left bottom right with a change of one click. I have the red hue down in the bottom left hand side on whites and my convergence isn't the greatest either. Makes me think I should try to change it out going from the positive change Xank found from one to another. Anyone else notice this green shift on their 8000? thanks
post #1214 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommmyJ View Post

I have green up in the upper right hand side on a black screen, when I adjust the brightness and green brightness it will shift from top right/bottom left to top left bottom right with a change of one click. I have the red hue down in the bottom left hand side on whites and my convergence isn't the greatest either. Makes me think I should try to change it out going from the positive change Xank found from one to another. Anyone else notice this green shift on their 8000? thanks

Tommy,

As I said in my previous post, the new (good) AE8000 unit didn't eliminate the color uniformity problems entirely, it just reduced them. And the problem on mine is visible only on test patterns, and generally not on normal content. If it had just been that, I probably would have left it alone. The overriding reason I bit the bullet and exchanged was horrible focus uniformity on the first one. The replacement definitely fixed that issue. It's not 100% perfect, but I'm just assuming that's as good as it gets for $2500.

Now, I never saw weird color gradients on solid black output, though, only on solid white and gray. If you're seeing it on black, it seems like that would be a lot more noticeable during regular use (most DVR/streaming/disc player UI's are predominantly black), and might warrant getting a replacement.

Good luck!
post #1215 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Liked: 16
It is like a green glow in the very upper right corner. Visible on a black/dark screen. As I said it is weird how it shifts from upper right/lower left to upper left lower right side just by moving the green brightness up or down one notch. When you switch picture modes does your projector make a bit of a noise and kind of change colors and you can see a vertical band moving on the screen? I am not sure what happens inside mechanically in that process.
post #1216 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 AM

I tested a little 3D on the projector compared to my Sharp 70 inch television. What was noticeably different, is the fact that the Panasonic glasses for the projector darken the image much more than the Sharp glasses on the Television. I'm glad I have a 2.4 gain screen coming!.... What was really cool, is how much better the 3D looks when you make the image really big! Excited about my new toy. biggrin.gif Will comment on my experience with crosstalk and other issues once the screen arrives and I have some time on the projector.
post #1217 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommmyJ View Post

It is like a green glow in the very upper right corner. Visible on a black/dark screen. As I said it is weird how it shifts from upper right/lower left to upper left lower right side just by moving the green brightness up or down one notch. When you switch picture modes does your projector make a bit of a noise and kind of change colors and you can see a vertical band moving on the screen? I am not sure what happens inside mechanically in that process.

That green glow is very odd, I wouldn't know how to explain that.

When switching picture modes, my Panny does make some noise between certain modes but not all of them. I believe it may be the iris opening and closing between normal modes and super bright modes like Game and Dynamic. And yes, colors/brightness/contrast change as it is adjusting to new settings, but I think that is to be expected. However, I don't see any vertical bands moving or any other type of visual artifact during picture mode changes. That sounds unusual.
post #1218 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xank View Post

That green glow is very odd, I wouldn't know how to explain that.

When switching picture modes, my Panny does make some noise between certain modes but not all of them. I believe it may be the iris opening and closing between normal modes and super bright modes like Game and Dynamic. And yes, colors/brightness/contrast change as it is adjusting to new settings, but I think that is to be expected. However, I don't see any vertical bands moving or any other type of visual artifact during picture mode changes. That sounds unusual.

Certain modes have a color filter that is placed in the light path, that is what the noise is
fgsouza likes this.
post #1219 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Certain modes have a color filter that is placed in the light path, that is what the noise is

Can you elaborate? What is the nature of this filter and what does it do? Based on my observations of when it seems to engage/disengage, I would guess it's a filter that brings colors into better calibration but at the cost of lumens.

Btw, wicked star ceiling.
post #1220 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalcanto View Post

I tested a little 3D on the projector compared to my Sharp 70 inch television. What was noticeably different, is the fact that the Panasonic glasses for the projector darken the image much more than the Sharp glasses on the Television. I'm glad I have a 2.4 gain screen coming!.... What was really cool, is how much better the 3D looks when you make the image really big! Excited about my new toy. biggrin.gif Will comment on my experience with crosstalk and other issues once the screen arrives and I have some time on the projector.

Yeah, I agree that 3D works best when the picture is big and fills as much of your visual field as possible. Otherwise, I feel like I'm looking at a shoebox diorama and it's not very immersive. It's the same reason I don't like to pay extra to see a movie in 3D at the theater unless it is IMAX 3D.
post #1221 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Last night I noticed my Panny doing something that confused and surprised me. The PJ is mounted on a rear shelf over my left shoulder. Especially during quiet passages in program material, I would notice a soft but definitely audible "crunch" sound coming from the projector. Around this same time, I noticed that the onscreen image had taken on a definite yellowish cast to it, and it even looked a little smeared, as if your glasses had oily fingerprints on them. Wanting to investigate to get to the bottom of the matter, I got up to physically inspect the projector and was further surprised to find little bits of white particles strewn about on the floor under the shelf where the projector is mounted!

Here's what I found: my projector has been eating my Jolly Time Healthy Pop Butter Flavor Microwave Popcorn! The delicious buttery-flavored seasoning was smeared all over the lens and I could also see a few old maids rattling around in the exhaust port area.

I called my authorized dealer and they said had never heard of any other projector eating popcorn - or any other snack for that matter - so it seems like it might be an isolated incident. Just to be sure it's not a wider problem with all 8000 models, though, I would appreciate hearing from any other 8000 owners who are seeing this kind of unsatisfactory performance.

Right now I am really wishing I had bought a less hungry projector, maybe an Epson or a JVC.
post #1222 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke View Post

Last night I noticed my Panny doing something that confused and surprised me. The PJ is mounted on a rear shelf over my left shoulder. Especially during quiet passages in program material, I would notice a soft but definitely audible "crunch" sound coming from the projector. Around this same time, I noticed that the onscreen image had taken on a definite yellowish cast to it, and it even looked a little smeared, as if your glasses had oily fingerprints on them. Wanting to investigate to get to the bottom of the matter, I got up to physically inspect the projector and was further surprised to find little bits of white particles strewn about on the floor under the shelf where the projector is mounted!

Here's what I found: my projector has been eating my Jolly Time Healthy Pop Butter Flavor Microwave Popcorn! The delicious buttery-flavored seasoning was smeared all over the lens and I could also see a few old maids rattling around in the exhaust port area.

I called my authorized dealer and they said had never heard of any other projector eating popcorn - or any other snack for that matter - so it seems like it might be an isolated incident. Just to be sure it's not a wider problem with all 8000 models, though, I would appreciate hearing from any other 8000 owners who are seeing this kind of unsatisfactory performance.

Right now I am really wishing I had bought a less hungry projector, maybe an Epson or a JVC.

I think you should stop eating pot brownies in the middle of the day.
KUV1977 likes this.
post #1223 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Have had my projector for a few months and I'm generally pretty happy with it.
However I do notice that the focus is not consistent across the entire image (or maybe its convergence being off? I'm not sure).
I dont really notice this on much other than text but I definitely notice it when the projector menu is up.
Its like the upper portion of the center of the image is not as sharp as the rest of the image (or if that is perfectly focused then the rest of the image isnt sharp).

Is this common? Should I contact Visual Apex?
post #1224 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

I think you should stop eating pot brownies in the middle of the day.

Just trying to dig your vibe, dude.
post #1225 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm sorry, but that was the funniest thing I've read all day. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #1226 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcaico View Post

Have had my projector for a few months and I'm generally pretty happy with it.
However I do notice that the focus is not consistent across the entire image (or maybe its convergence being off? I'm not sure).
I dont really notice this on much other than text but I definitely notice it when the projector menu is up.
Its like the upper portion of the center of the image is not as sharp as the rest of the image (or if that is perfectly focused then the rest of the image isnt sharp).

Is this common? Should I contact Visual Apex?

Hard for others to judge just by a textual description...

Where are you in your throw range and how much lens shift are you using?
post #1227 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

...Just to be sure it's not a wider problem with all 8000 models, though, I would appreciate hearing from any other 8000 owners who are seeing this kind of unsatisfactory performance.

I need to look at this....since setting up my 8000, I have noticed an alarming amount of popcorn on the floor and I thought it was my wife. She, of course, pleads the fifth! tongue.gif
post #1228 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Can you elaborate? What is the nature of this filter and what does it do? Based on my observations of when it seems to engage/disengage, I would guess it's a filter that brings colors into better calibration but at the cost of lumens.

Btw, wicked star ceiling.

You are exaclty right, better color but less lumens
post #1229 of 3846 Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Refreshing Humor +1 Nice to see in lieu of all these "dilemmas" we are seeing.
post #1230 of 3846 Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Hard for others to judge just by a textual description...

Where are you in your throw range and how much lens shift are you using?

Throw distance is 15' from a 120" wide 2.35:1 screen. My lens is very near even with the top of the screen. Maybe just a bit lower than the top.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page