Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 3609 Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Ferbal and Xank. Guess I'm going to be digging up the carpet after all. Any screen recommendations? Am I right in thinking if I go for a 235 screen I'll lose image size at 16:9 cause it will essentially squash/zoom the image?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 3609 Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 AM

Also wanting to order some 3d glasses...does anyone know the model number for the panasonic ones. Keep finding different people saying different things on various websites. Will TY-EW3D3ME work? What about glasses ending with a 'U' as in TY-EW3D3MU
post #1263 of 3609 Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I use the TY-EW3D3MU glasses...
post #1264 of 3609 Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

I have 12FL in a totally dark room using rec709 with a calibrated grayscale and it is plenty bright...

125" AT CIH screen 1.2 gain with a 17' throw...

Thanks laugsbach... That's relief for my movie watching side... Compared to setting up a flat panel TV, there's a lot more numbers to consider here and, since I have no relative baseline - it gets a little daunting. I'd hate to set everything up, only to have the projector display an underwhelmingly washed out image, all due to my lack of planning.

From what I can tell, the image should get brighter when you switch from Scope to 16;9... Do you find this to be the true and how does your image look with some ambient light on - in 16:9 AR? I can dim my lights, but for sports and other HDTV programming, we'd want some lighting... especially when we have company over.

If I need the image a bit brighter, I think I need to move the projector closer to the screen. Using the Projector Central Pro calculator - I see the FL obviously goes up as you move the projector closer to the screen... but not too close! The Panasonic website has the following info for calculating throw ranges.
Quote:
NOTE:
The values of L shown above vary due to characteristics of the zoom lens. Images may slightly distort due to characteristics of the zoom lens when the zoom lens is set to the minimum throw distance.

I find it odd that the PC calculator shows a minimum throw distance of 14.5 feet, but the Panasonic website provides the following formulas.

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae8000/positions.html
Quote:
Aspect ratio2.35 : 1 (When projecting both 2.35:1 and 16:9 images onto a 2.35:1 screen using the Lens Memory function.)

minimum - L (m) = (diagonal screen size in inches) × 0.0241 - 0.045
maximum - L (m) = (diagonal screen size in inches) × 0.0482 - 0.044
NOTE:
The accuracy of calculated value by the formula shown above is ±5%

For a 140" screen that comes out to about 10' 11 inches up to 20' 8"... So maybe I can place the projector closer than the PC Calculator's minimum distance. Am I missing something here?

I would not use the minimum throw distance, but it looks like I could place it closer than my planned 15'. At 13' feet it would be right overhead.. and any closer will put it out in front of us... it will be ceiling mounted but not sure that is a desirable placement.

I wonder if others have their projectors ceiling mounted, but in front of their seating placement.

What factored into your decision to set your throw distance at 17'?

OIE, so many questions...
post #1265 of 3609 Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPusher View Post

Do you find this to be the true and how does your image look with some ambient light on - in 16:9 AR?

I am not going to be much help here...I only watch Blu-ray/DVD content in my completely dark room and I haven't measured to see if there is a difference between 2.35:1 & 1.78:1 content. I don't notice a change in brightness going between different AR but I would need to pull out the meter and see...
Quote:
What factored into your decision to set your throw distance at 17'?

I have the PJ sitting on a shelf mounted on the back wall and found no reason to move it closer via a ceiling mount. BTW, for the second row, the PJ is right above our heads (18") and does not call attention to itself. I am not so sure I would like the PJ mounted out in front of me...
post #1266 of 3609 Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM

Liked: 13
I have a 119" 16:9 screen (1.2 gain I think). My projector is ceiling mounted and set back a little under 16 feet (under the 2nd row of seats). It's very bright even with my dimmable lights on. I usually use Cinema 2 for Blu-ray and HDTV content (with Eco lamp mode), and Dynamic (Normal Lamp mode) for 3D but without lights on and glasess set to "light". smile.gif
post #1267 of 3609 Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeko View Post

Also wanting to order some 3d glasses...does anyone know the model number for the panasonic ones. Keep finding different people saying different things on various websites. Will TY-EW3D3ME work? What about glasses ending with a 'U' as in TY-EW3D3MU
I ordered three large pair of Panasonic third generation glasses with my 8000 they are TY-EW3D3L. Not that I have anything to compare them to, but no glitches. Still waiting for the two medium size to show up from the mail in rebate offer been like ten to twelve weeks now. I also went ahead and ordered one case from Amazon to house the glasses to keep them nice as this hobby grows.
post #1268 of 3609 Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone had any issues with the "Memory Load" button on the remote? Mine does absolutely nothing. I've always gone through the menu to change between my memory settings. I assume that remote button is supposed to do that, but it has never done anything.
post #1269 of 3609 Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning99 View Post

Has anyone had any issues with the "Memory Load" button on the remote?

I use it all the time to switch between 2D & 3D picture settings. I have a rec709 picture setting saved for 2D & a dynamic picture setting saved for 3D. I press the memory load button on the remote, switch to the setting I want and press enter...
post #1270 of 3609 Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

I use it all the time to switch between 2D & 3D picture settings. I have a rec709 picture setting saved for 2D & a dynamic picture setting saved for 3D. I press the memory load button on the remote, switch to the setting I want and press enter...

OK thanks, guess I need to call Panasonic.
post #1271 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 17
Ok its official...I ordered mine today...should be here in two days!

I'm graduating from my AE2000, which still shows a great picture with my 109" laminate screen. I'm moving all the way up to 140" wide 2.35:1 Seymour XD screen. In 16:9 I'll have the same size image I have now with a lot more lumen than before (1500/2400). Cant wait !!!

"Its never easy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1272 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Just got my free 3D glasses delivered today via UPS. Just so everyone knows...it took about 2 months from the time I sent in the rebate.

Mario

post #1273 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Just got my free 3D glasses delivered today via UPS. Just so everyone knows...it took about 2 months from the time I sent in the rebate.

I'll go ahead and order another pair then!

"Its never easy"

post #1274 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:

Did you receive them from "Advertising Checking Bureau"?

I received an e-mail from UPS about a failed delivery attempt today. I wasn't expecting any package, so here is me hoping these are indeed my pair of 3D glasses.

post #1275 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Did you receive them from "Advertising Checking Bureau"?

I received an e-mail from UPS about a failed delivery attempt today. I wasn't expecting any package, so here is me hoping these are indeed my pair of 3D glasses.

Yup. Those are your glasses.

Mario

post #1276 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup. Those are your glasses.

Thanks for the confirmation mcascio!

Arrrgghhhh, the original e-mail from UPS stated delivery was scheduled for today at end of the day. Hey, one more question (sorry), did you receive any documentation regarding your 3 years warranty from Panasonic with this package?

The few times that I decided to wait for them, the UPS guy showed up very late in the afternoon. Today, I decided to head to my office, then he showed up at 9:41 AM.........great!

post #1277 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the confirmation mcascio!

Arrrgghhhh, the original e-mail from UPS stated delivery was scheduled for today at end of the day. Hey, one more question (sorry), did you receive any documentation regarding your 3 years warranty from Panasonic with this package?

The few times that I decided to wait for them, the UPS guy showed up very late in the afternoon. Today, I decided to head to my office, then he showed up at 9:41 AM.........great!

Unfortunately no documentation on the 3 year warranty came with the glasses. Maybe that comes in yet another delivery.

You may be able to call UPS or go online and authorize them to just release the package without a signature - saving you from taking off of work.

Mario

post #1278 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately no documentation on the 3 year warranty came with the glasses. Maybe that comes in yet another delivery.

You may be able to call UPS or go online and authorize them to just release the package without a signature - saving you from taking off of work.

Thanks for the tip, only problem that I see with that suggestion is:

It's always nice to be out of work............tongue.gif

Jokes aside, what do you think of the glasses?

post #1279 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey - any excuse to get of work. smile.gif Not the same though when you work for yourself. smile.gif

I haven't taken them out of the box yet...but I already own the same ones. My theater seats seven so I figured I'd buy 5 before-hand.

I personally like them, but I haven't tested out any other brands.

Mario

post #1280 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey - any excuse to get of work. smile.gif Not the same though when you work for yourself. smile.gif

I haven't taken them out of the box yet...but I already own the same ones. My theater seats seven so I figured I'd buy 5 before-hand.

I personally like them, but I haven't tested out any other brands.

Yep, you are totally right on that one (self employed vs. working for a company).

I'm currently using a pair of Sony 3D glasses (the ones for the PS3). So, hopefully the performance will improve "a bit" with the Panny glasses.

post #1281 of 3609 Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM

Funny my medium size glasses showed up today also TY-EW3D3M. I cant believe how close in size they are to my larges.
post #1282 of 3609 Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke View Post

Fellow AVS Forum member laugsbach and I live in the same metro area, so we have visited each other's home theaters a couple of times. We both bought PT-AE3000U projectors four years ago, and now we have both upgraded to the PT-AE8000U.

laugsbach invited me over to run a DIY grayscale calibration on his machine. I was excited about the chance to measure two different projector/screen/room combinations using the exact same color sensor, and to see how similar/different the calibrated settings would turn out.

Our rooms and throw distances are similar, although laugsbach has a somewhat larger room and screen. The more important difference is the screen material. My screen is an Elite Cinewhite matte white vinyl with 1.0 gain. laugsbach's screen is an acoustically transparent type for behind-the-screen speaker placement (which is very cool I might add). I'm sure he will chime in and give more details about this material.

Both projectors were calibrated in REC709 Picture Mode with Lamp in ECO and Dynamic Iris OFF. Please note: we could only spend about two hours with laugsbach's machine. If we had had more time to tweak, it could certainly be dialed in further. Luckily, it measured very good with minimal adjustment, and I must say that the adjustments we did make had quite a visible effect. I will leave it to laugsbach to comment further regarding the resulting calibrated picture quality.

I don't want to fill the forum with all of the available ColorHCFR graphs, but the RGB Levels and Color Temperature graphs are the most interesting and are worth posting for comparison. (Note, ignore color readings below 10 IRE; the Eye One Display sensor readings are essentially meaningless when measuring 0 IRE, that is, video black).

Default RGB laugsbach:

Default RGB HMenke:

Clearly, Green is running hot compared to Red and Blue on both machines. This definitely gives a greenish tint in the default REC709 mode.

Default Color Temperature laugsbach:

Default Color Temperature HMenke:

Actually the Color Temperature tracks pretty well, but as we've seen the color balance is off across the board. Next up: a comparison of the calibrated results.

Calibrated RGB laugsbach:

Calibrated RGB HMenke:

Calibrated Color Temperature laugsbach:

Calibrated Color Temperature HMenke:

Now comes the REALLY interesting part. How similar were the settings used to achieved these similar calibrated results? As it turns out....not at all similar!

Here is an Excel spreadsheet that shows the calibrated settings of each machine side-by-side. There is really no comparison. My projector/screen/room required a lot of adjustment to bring it into line, whereas laugsbach's projector/screen/room was already very close to ideal and required only minor adjustment to produce a calibrated image.

PT-AE8000U Calibration Settings v1.0 laugsbach & HMenke 01-26-2013.xlsx 14k .xlsx file
I tried HMenke's settings this past weekend and man has the pq skyrocketed especially 3D. I find these settings work great with 3D i just have to remember to switch the lamp from ECO to Normal to compensate for the glasses. I see a 3D image now that is as good if not better than the movies and the 2D with a good Blu Ray playing is breathtaking.. Guys, thank you so much for posting this, i just added buttkickers to my theater so between the 4D sound and the new 2D/3D quality im seeing with my 8K i would have to say its a new day. Thank you again!
post #1283 of 3609 Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

OK thanks, guess I need to call Panasonic.

Manning - have you saved any settings in memory? I don't believe the button works until you go create a picture memory (do not confuse with lens memory)

Jeff
post #1284 of 3609 Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, you are totally right on that one (self employed vs. working for a company).

I'm currently using a pair of Sony 3D glasses (the ones for the PS3). So, hopefully the performance will improve "a bit" with the Panny glasses.

Finally!!!!

post #1285 of 3609 Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

I tried HMenke's settings this past weekend and man has the pq skyrocketed especially 3D. I find these settings work great with 3D i just have to remember to switch the lamp from ECO to Normal to compensate for the glasses. I see a 3D image now that is as good if not better than the movies and the 2D with a good Blu Ray playing is breathtaking.. Guys, thank you so much for posting this, i just added buttkickers to my theater so between the 4D sound and the new 2D/3D quality im seeing with my 8K i would have to say its a new day. Thank you again!
I too did just the basic calibration with a WOW disc and was surprised how far the Rec 709 was off. Unlike my ae2000 which was only off by a little.

Interesting that slight color uniformity issue that some 8000 owners and reviewers have mentioned (which is easier to see with the calibration disc) Is almost gone! The picture quality Is so much better I'm thinking of attempting a grey scale calibration as this is only my second projector.
post #1286 of 3609 Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoddard View Post

Manning - have you saved any settings in memory? I don't believe the button works until you go create a picture memory (do not confuse with lens memory)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I think that's it. I was referring to lens memory. I was assuming the memory load button changed between saved lens settings as opposed to picture settings. Guess I'll keep going thrugh the menu.
post #1287 of 3609 Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks Jeff, I think that's it. I was referring to lens memory. I was assuming the memory load button changed between saved lens settings as opposed to picture settings. Guess I'll keep going thrugh the menu.

I fell into the same trap. Yes, the Memory Load button is not for the Lens Memory, but other picture configurations.

I ended up programming the Len Memory Menu as the Function button and that worked fairly well ... until I set it to switch lens memory automatically. Now I don't need to use it at all ! :-D

... Andy

post #1288 of 3609 Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Finally!!!!

Do you remember when you sent the rebate in? I sent mine in on December 12. I received the $100 rebate a few weeks back, but still no glasses/warranty. Bah!
post #1289 of 3609 Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Do you remember when you sent the rebate in? I sent mine in on December 12. I received the $100 rebate a few weeks back, but still no glasses/warranty. Bah!

I sent the rebate form on Dec 4th. So, you should receive your 3D glasses really soon. They were shipped from Tennessee (if that helps).

post #1290 of 3609 Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I sent the rebate form on Dec 4th. So, you should receive your 3D glasses really soon. They were shipped from Tennessee (if that helps).

Cheers. Hopefully soon then!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page