Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 44 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1291 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I took delivery of my 8000 yesterday...promptly sent in my rebate this morning. With these wait times im just going to buy another pair or two now anyway.

As an aside, I'm was running the AE2000 through my Yamaha RX-V3800. I upgraded to an Onkyo PR SC-5508 and there was a huge jump in picture quality with no other changes. I have to wonder how much of the convergence/focus/crosstalk issues are due to the source/screen/alignment ? I'll find out soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

I sent the rebate form on Dec 4th. So, you should receive your 3D glasses really soon. They were shipped from Tennessee (if that helps).

lol and of course, the next day they show up. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

FYI, for those waiting, the package does require a signature!
post #1293 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pulled the trigger today!... thanks for your replies...
post #1294 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.woodhouse View Post

rrebello,

Just so that other members don't get confused, you are responding too my previous post regarding the same light leakage projected on 2 screen corners which makes them look more grey & less black than the rest of the area, it's mostly visible on a full black image.

With not seeing any other 8000 in action I have no comparison to evaluate if this is within specification.

I am not sure if the technical term is poor light uniformity but I am sure that more experienced members could confirm this.

As this projector has no other problems,convergence is excellent, 3D is virtually crosstalk free & 99% of the time the problem's not visible I can live with it & hope it doesn't get any worse over time.

I have just ordered the Disney WOW calibration disc, maybe it will improve once tweaked.

A member on the old PTAE4000 thread reported the same issue & contacted Panasonic who claimed it was normal & caused by the dynamic iris, but I remain to be convinced.

j.woodhouse,
Were you able to fix the poor light uniformity issue? I'm seeing the same issue in the bottom left corner of the screen.....mainly when it's black or other dark color. Did the WOW disc help?
post #1295 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by foraye View Post

I took delivery of my 8000 yesterday...promptly sent in my rebate this morning. With these wait times im just going to buy another pair or two now anyway.

As an aside, I'm was running the AE2000 through my Yamaha RX-V3800. I upgraded to an Onkyo PR SC-5508 and there was a huge jump in picture quality with no other changes. I have to wonder how much of the convergence/focus/crosstalk issues are due to the source/screen/alignment ? I'll find out soon.

So, what is the verdict? How do you compare the AE8000 vs your previous projector?

Smart move on sending the rebate form right away.......and congrats on your new PJ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

lol and of course, the next day they show up. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

FYI, for those waiting, the package does require a signature!

Sweet! If you have an MyUPS (free) account, you can authorize them to deliver the glasses without signature (that's what I did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPusher View Post

Pulled the trigger today!... thanks for your replies...

Congrats!!!!

Don't forget to report back and share your initial impressions on this unit!
post #1296 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFlo79 View Post

j.woodhouse,
Were you able to fix the poor light uniformity issue? I'm seeing the same issue in the bottom left corner of the screen.....mainly when it's black or other dark color. Did the WOW disc help?

My 8000 has no light uniformity issues at all. Now, color uniformity is another issue altogether...
post #1297 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM

I forgot to "quote" however, I totally agree with Xank's advice a few days ago...A top notch dealer is NUMBER 1...... I went to Projector People and they were great when i didn't like my convergence. they spoke to Panasonic and got me an RMA in one day!!!!
i had a new projector that was spot on right out of the box....I can not say enough about how great projector People and Panasonic were when dealing with the issue.
Hey you guys were great too by encouraging me to speak up when i thought it was off by 1/3. i posted the photos earlier....Thanks to all the AVS dudes....for great advice once again....
post #1298 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xank View Post

I'd encourage you to pull the trigger. But buy from a reputable vendor who has a stated 30 day guarantee and will allow you to refund or exchange without hassle if you get a bad unit. Plus. remember only an authorized reseller will qualify you for the rebate and free glasses. I used Projector People.

I actually did not start reading the forums here until after I rolled the dice on PT-AE8000U. And I'm glad I didn't otherwise I might have had an aneurysm trying to decide. smile.gif Turns out, first roll came up with a focus problem. Then I tried an Epson 5020, and that unit was straight up DOA. Tried one more AE8000U, and now I'm happier than Dikembe Mutombo in a GEICO commercial. What made the process bearable was that I never had to worry about exchanging the whole time or losing any money.

The build quality issues do seem troubling. Some problems, though, are attributable to build, and some to design. If you care about noise, the Panasonic is one of the best choices. The Epson was deal-breaker noisy for me, even though after I got it working I did find it to have a slightly better picture quality than the Panasonic. But how can I enjoy picture quality when there's a dust buster in the back of the room annoying the hell out of me.

I totally agree with Xank......A top notch dealer is NUMBER 1...... I went to Projector People and they were great when i didn't like my convergence. they spoke to Panasonic and got me an RMA in one day!!!!
i had a new projector that was spot on right out of the box....I can not say enough about how great projector People and Panasonic were when dealing with the issue.
Hey you guys were great too by encouraging me to speak up when i thought it was off by 1/3. i posted the photos earlier....Thanks to all the AVS dudes....for great advice once again....
post #1299 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 PM

Just fired up my AE-8000U and convergence is horrible. Sending an email to Visual Apex right now. Hopefully they can help me with an RMA to panasonic. Why wouldn't panasonic include digital convergence adjustment? My parents 10 year old Sony VPL-VW12HT has it!eek.gif

post #1300 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonicxpression View Post

Just fired up my AE-8000U and convergence is horrible. Sending an email to Visual Apex right now. Hopefully they can help me with an RMA to panasonic. Why wouldn't panasonic include digital convergence adjustment? My parents 10 year old Sony VPL-VW12HT has it!eek.gif

That sucks. Good luck...
post #1301 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

So, what is the verdict? How do you compare the AE8000 vs your previous projector?

Smart move on sending the rebate form right away.......and congrats on your new PJ!!!
Sweet! If you have an MyUPS (free) account, you can authorize them to deliver the glasses without signature (that's what I did).
Congrats!!!!

Don't forget to report back and share your initial impressions on this unit!

Thanks, It will be a week or two until I switch over. I'm also switching my receiver and screen. I'm already seeing improved image quality with the Onkyo SC5508, it has HQV Reon video processing. Previous PJ was the AE2000, still going strong.

I'm switching to a scope screen 130" diag. with Seymour XD material. It was also delivered with with the PJ. I do have a ups account, but might need to update it.
post #1302 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjobber1 View Post

I forgot to "quote" however, I totally agree with Xank's advice a few days ago...A top notch dealer is NUMBER 1...... I went to Projector People and they were great when i didn't like my convergence. they spoke to Panasonic and got me an RMA in one day!!!!

Thats good to hear !
I also went with Projector people...bought up the convergence issues, and got a reply that its "rare" to get one back for this.
post #1303 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:

That sucks. Good luck...

I was totally surprised that there wasn't an adjustment however when one thinks about the three mirrors it would most likely be like adjusting the carbs on an old Jag XKE!!!
The second one came in perfect and the convergence issue was only seen by me as I expected it to be at least as good as the antique Barco that I was replacing....Panny must be getting the quality message with the returns that they are getting and I know that they will fix it as it must be eating into profit. i develop and manufacture hundreds of SKU's in PRC at several diferent companies and the roll-out quality curve does vary between outfits. We know that Panny can do it as evident by a perfect second unit. You did get yours from a really good vendor so the R&R should be as good as mine was from Proj.People..

Good luck..John
post #1304 of 3846 Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjobber1 View Post

I was totally surprised that there wasn't an adjustment however when one thinks about the three mirrors it would most likely be like adjusting the carbs on an old Jag XKE!!!
The second one came in perfect and the convergence issue was only seen by me as I expected it to be at least as good as the antique Barco that I was replacing....Panny must be getting the quality message with the returns that they are getting and I know that they will fix it as it must be eating into profit. i develop and manufacture hundreds of SKU's in PRC at several diferent companies and the roll-out quality curve does vary between outfits. We know that Panny can do it as evident by a perfect second unit. You did get yours from a really good vendor so the R&R should be as good as mine was from Proj.People..

Good luck..John

Congrats. My first unit's convergence was ok, it was focus uniformity and color uniformity that were terrible, plus blue splotches in a couple places. Second one has great focus and better (although nowhere near perfect, and definitely worse than Epson 5020) color uniformity. As for convergence, I think the convergence is ok because single pixel white lines appear white, but there is a blue bloom lining the bottom. In casual tweaking, it seems like turning off auto-iris reduces the blue blooming. In any case, I can only see the blue in graphics/fonts and never in movie content.

Enjoy!
post #1305 of 3846 Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Just an FYI, Projector People has the PT-AE8000U on sale for $2599 thru 4/8/13. Anyone seeing it cheaper from an authorized Panny dealer?

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #1306 of 3846 Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 AM

Panasonic PT-AE8000 Projector
Elite ezFrame Fixed Frame Screen (2.35:1 CineWhite 45" x 106"115")$449.00
Room is 17’ long X 15’ wide X 8’ high (Throw distance is 16’)
Room has windows with shades and blinds and most viewing is at night.
Viewing is all types blue ray, fios hd and Xbox 360 , HD and 3D

How does this look for the room? Any suggestions are welcome !
post #1307 of 3846 Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a PT-AE8000u over the XMAS holiday and love the setup...

I wanted to see if there are any current 8000u owners out there that are running Windows Media Center with an Nvidia Based video cards and are experiencing Video "Blackouts" when watching TV???

I think this has something to do with the EDID information being passed to the projector and have purchased a Gefen HDMI detective as a fix and I am still having issues...

I think the issue really lies with bad Video Drivers and the inability to provide a decent HDMI Handshake with the projector but wanted to ask in this forum before I post a similar post in the HTPC section of this forum...

Would love to hear any posts or suggestions!

Thanks!
post #1308 of 3846 Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User7007 View Post

I wanted to see if there are any current 8000u owners out there that are running Windows Media Center with an Nvidia Based video cards and are experiencing Video "Blackouts" when watching TV???

I think the issue really lies with bad Video Drivers and the inability to provide a decent HDMI Handshake with the projector but wanted to ask in this forum before I post a similar post in the HTPC section of this forum...

Would love to hear any posts or suggestions!

This may not be what you'd like to hear but these kinds of problems are why I gave up on HTPC a long time ago. Home theater and compatibility with other A/V equipment is not a core competency or priority for Microsoft or Nvidia. I'm sure they're smart enough to get interoperability right if they wanted to, but I think they just don't care that much. You can be sure that Windows Media Center is at or near the bottom of Microsoft's priority list right now, assuming it's not EOL already, as they have other things to worry about like having their lunch eaten by Google and Apple. Plus, if you ask them about home theater they'd probably say why don't you just get an XBox instead please. As for Nvidia, again, they might be aware of interop problems but their focus is on PC gaming and getting into gaming consoles. If they do update their drivers to address these problems it will be slow and imperfect, was my previous experience. I just got tired of dealing with little annoyances like this and waiting for fixes.

Of course I haven't had an HTPC in years so maybe things are not all that bad, but your anecdote reminds me of why I gave up in the first place. But I feel like the big picture is several years ago the PC people threw together the HTPC concept to try to catch a wave. It didn't catch fire (to mix metaphors) and they now have other things to think about so the leftovers from that time are decaying.
post #1309 of 3846 Old 03-01-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynj View Post

How does this look for the room? Any suggestions are welcome !

It should be very good...smile.gif

I am close to you with a 115" wide 2.35:1 AT screen. The room is 20' x 15' x 10' with a 17' throw and the Panny is fabulous...
post #1310 of 3846 Old 03-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Well, Visual Apex replied back to my email. I asked if they could help me get an RMA and they told me to just contact Panasonic myself and provided the phone number. That's kind of disappointing. Well, hopefully Panasonic isn't too big of a PITA to deal with.

post #1311 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This may not be what you'd like to hear but these kinds of problems are why I gave up on HTPC a long time ago. Home theater and compatibility with other A/V equipment is not a core competency or priority for Microsoft or Nvidia. I'm sure they're smart enough to get interoperability right if they wanted to, but I think they just don't care that much. You can be sure that Windows Media Center is at or near the bottom of Microsoft's priority list right now, assuming it's not EOL already, as they have other things to worry about like having their lunch eaten by Google and Apple. Plus, if you ask them about home theater they'd probably say why don't you just get an XBox instead please. As for Nvidia, again, they might be aware of interop problems but their focus is on PC gaming and getting into gaming consoles. If they do update their drivers to address these problems it will be slow and imperfect, was my previous experience. I just got tired of dealing with little annoyances like this and waiting for fixes.

Of course I haven't had an HTPC in years so maybe things are not all that bad, but your anecdote reminds me of why I gave up in the first place. But I feel like the big picture is several years ago the PC people threw together the HTPC concept to try to catch a wave. It didn't catch fire (to mix metaphors) and they now have other things to think about so the leftovers from that time are decaying.

Well, to be fair - times have changed and HTPCs work a lot better now. I've been using Mac minis since 2008 (I think), and I've had no issues. I've upgraded each time to the newest model, and my 2012 mini works perfectly with the PT-AE8000U. Never a hiccup of any sort. Highly recommend the Mac mini as an HTPC, that's for sure.
post #1312 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 AM

In the next couple of months I will be purchasing a Panny 8000 for my media room that is a work in progress. I am looking for any and all feedback on what AVRs and Blu-ray players have paired well with this PJ. At this time I am looking at Onkyo (717, 818) Yamaha (A820) and Marantz (SR5007)...mainly AVRs that are right around the 100wpc mark WITH pre-outs. I will be going with an Emotiva amp to power my fronts and centers (RTi A7's and CsiA6) so I can get away with the AVR taking care of my surrounds and rear surrounds (RT65s and RC80is).

This is the first time I have ever run video thru my AVR so I want to be 100% sure that my PQ is not affected. I know nothing about video processing and naturally I don't want to piss away any quality when I run my blu-ray, high def cable (and possibly gaming) thru my AVR.

For a while I had been leaning towards an Oppo 103 for my blu-ray. However, as of late I have been reading some very good posts and reviews on the Panny BDT500. Would also love to hear feedback from people who may be using either of these with their Panny 8000's.

Throw everything you got at me folks. Just looking to make smart decisions based on what people have had success with. Thanks in advance...

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Elite Screen | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 Power Cond.| Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos | Apple TV

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #1313 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Throw everything you got at me folks. Thanks in advance...

I have the Onkyo 818 and the Oppo 103....very pleased. I have a fairly large SACD/DVD-A collection that the Oppo handles as well. You will need to apply a new FW update to the 818...
post #1314 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

In the next couple of months I will be purchasing a Panny 8000 for my media room that is a work in progress. I am looking for any and all feedback on what AVRs and Blu-ray players have paired well with this PJ. At this time I am looking at Onkyo (717, 818) Yamaha (A820) and Marantz (SR5007)...mainly AVRs that are right around the 100wpc mark WITH pre-outs. I will be going with an Emotiva amp to power my fronts and centers (RTi A7's and CsiA6) so I can get away with the AVR taking care of my surrounds and rear surrounds (RT65s and RC80is).

This is the first time I have ever run video thru my AVR so I want to be 100% sure that my PQ is not affected. I know nothing about video processing and naturally I don't want to piss away any quality when I run my blu-ray, high def cable (and possibly gaming) thru my AVR.

For a while I had been leaning towards an Oppo 103 for my blu-ray. However, as of late I have been reading some very good posts and reviews on the Panny BDT500. Would also love to hear feedback from people who may be using either of these with their Panny 8000's.

Throw everything you got at me folks. Just looking to make smart decisions based on what people have had success with. Thanks in advance...

I have the Oppo 103. I highly recommend! It's a bit expensive though. I also have Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and PS3 Fat, and the PQ on Oppo is much better.

Btw, to everyone, I finally got my 2 free rebate glasses! I think I sent my rebate early December (I believe the 4th), they received it for processing Dec. 14th and I got the glasses Feb. 26th. So after they started processing it, it took about 11 weeks. smile.gif
post #1315 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

I have the Onkyo 818 and the Oppo 103....very pleased. I have a fairly large SACD/DVD-A collection that the Oppo handles as well. You will need to apply a new FW update to the 818...

Thanks so much for the input. My heart is with Onkyo because I have a 609 driving my 5.1 system up in my family room. Not a single hiccup (even with FW updates) since i got her and she pushes my Mirage speakers to the limit. Funny thing is I considered using my 609 in the new room but its not even an option because of the lack of pre outs. With A7's and an A6 in front, there's no way that AVR would get enough power to all 7 of my speakers. I know I could be content with the 717 for my media room but would be much happier with the 818. smile.gif Perhaps I'll see the price of the 818 start to drop in the next couple of months...

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #1316 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfanatic View Post

I have the Oppo 103. I highly recommend! It's a bit expensive though. I also have Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and PS3 Fat, and the PQ on Oppo is much better.

Btw, to everyone, I finally got my 2 free rebate glasses! I think I sent my rebate early December (I believe the 4th), they received it for processing Dec. 14th and I got the glasses Feb. 26th. So after they started processing it, it took about 11 weeks. smile.gif

Another happy Oppo 103 customer. Thanks so much for the input.

904WMC Media Room Thread
post #1317 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

It should be very good...smile.gif

I am close to you with a 115" wide 2.35:1 AT screen. The room is 20' x 15' x 10' with a 17' throw and the Panny is fabulous...

I made a change , i went with a :

HDTV (16:9) BalanceView Matte White 65" x 116" 133" screen !

and a Chief Manufacturing RPAU Universal Projector Ceiling Mount.
post #1318 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Darbee Dangblet!

Been reading about this little guy in other forums and decided to give it a shot with my PT-AE8000U and...

Dang! It really does work. I'm using it at 75% green mode, and turning on the Darblet appears to focus the picture well beyond what the optical focus of the projector can do by itself. I know it's in some sense an illusion, but this illusion is perceptually dramatic. I currently have my Detail Clarity set at +7, and the combined effect is just stunning, with no artifacting that I can discern. It never looks overprocessed, it just looks better. I can also tell you that Darblet will do it's thing no matter what Detail Clarity setting you have, it will just incrementally increase perceived focus/sharpness at all settings.

I bought it from Amazon so I could return it easily if I was not impressed. I will not be returning it.
post #1319 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

Darbee Dangblet!

Been reading about this little guy in other forums and decided to give it a shot with my PT-AE8000U and...

Dang! It really does work. I'm using it at 75% green mode, and turning on the Darblet appears to focus the picture well beyond what the optical focus of the projector can do by itself. I know it's in some sense an illusion, but this illusion is perceptually dramatic. I currently have my Detail Clarity set at +7, and the combined effect is just stunning, with no artifacting that I can discern. It never looks overprocessed, it just looks better. I can also tell you that Darblet will do it's thing no matter what Detail Clarity setting you have, it will just incrementally increase perceived focus/sharpness at all settings.

I bought it from Amazon so I could return it easily if I was not impressed. I will not be returning it.

Any chance you can post a couple of pics with and without the Darbee?

TIA
post #1320 of 3846 Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 PM

I have been reading differing opinions on the ability of the PJ to use zooming and lens memory between 235 and 16:9 "while being mounted above the screen". I'll add my voice to the fact this cannot be done unless you are willing to tilt the PJ downwards and mess with the keystone adjustments. If anyone disagrees and has this working please share. I have tried everything and no luck. It looks like the center of the lens must be within the vertical range of the screen mad.gif
This really messes up my plans to have the PJ in my rear soffit.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page