AVS Forum banner
669K views 6K replies 781 participants last post by  Dylanski 
#1 ·
The fun has begun. Received mine today and have it set up and running. My fourth projector and first experience with home 3D. Overall, I am delighted with this unit.

I am amazed at how good the 3D looks. I'm projecting 19' to a 140" Carada Criterion screen with the 1.4 gain brilliant white. Room is totally dark with dark walls, ceiling and carpet. The projector is very bright in normal 2D, and looked good in the half hour or so of 3D I watched. I need to buy a broader sample of 3D blu-rays and plan to do so this weekend. I'm using the Panasonic glasses and they seem to work flawlessly. Also, as per many other reports, that joystick lens shift is not great. Fortunately, and contrary to what I have been told, my 8000 seems to have a center detent setting, which eliminates any challenges for me. My PJ is on a shelf, with the lens centered top to bottom and side to side on the screen, so I just lock it in the center detent setting and ignore it. Fine tuning is with the PJ legs and slight sideways rotation of the projecter. I'll report more as I have a chance to spend more time with it over the next several days.

See less See more
#1,152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22917628

I hadn't used my Xbox 360 extensively on this setup until Friday night. Prior to that it was more my PS3 than anything....Maybe it is the HDMI cable between my 360 and my AVR?

Likely. I read somewhere this concise summary of how to go about troubleshooting a problem that "suddenly" appears:

Ask Yourself
1. When did it last work properly?

2. When did it stop working properly?

3. What was done in between those times?

#1,153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22918293

..no automatic lens cover. I really didn't think it would matter that much but having to take off and put that damn thing on every time I use the projector is going to drive me mad! The worst part is that ever time I touch the projector, it bumps it just slightly out of alignment on the ceiling mount and i have to re-tweak it to get it lined up perfectly with the screen again.

Do you really need to put on the lens cover? My projector is sitting on a rear shelf and I never cover the lens. If it gets dusty, I clean it harmlessly with a photographer's lens pen. I pulled the little plastic lanyard out of the case and put the cover away in a safe place.

If you just decide to leave the cover off, you will have no reason to touch the mount and thus throw off the alignment. Should result in lower blood pressure levels...

#1,155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommmyJ  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22918743

Is it ok to give the lens a shot of compressed air? I will have to look into this lens pen you mentioned.

Absolutely OK. Unfortunately, most compressed gas dusters these days have an anti-huffing "bitterant" added to them..which could leave trace residues on equipment.

This brand of compressed gas duster is the only one I've found recently which does not have the bitterant.

In lieu of compressed gas dusters, Giottos Rocket Air Blaster is pretty good!

There are a lot of good quality lens pens out there...even Amazon is getting into the act!

#1,157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22916947

So I experienced something just now for the first time on this projector, and it's not a good thing.

I was playing my Xbox 360 and was playing some Forza Horizon when the screen went black for a second. The sound was still coming out of my speakers so the AVR was still getting signal from the 360. It came back on like a second later and I was like wtf so I paused it and got up, like if someone was messing around with me. Then like 4-5 more times, the screen went off then back on, like a second or so off then back on. It happened like every 5-8 seconds or so, then stopped.

I started playing again and then the screen went black again for a second then back on. It happened only 1 more time after that. I continued to play for like 15 more minutes and had my camera ready to take a video if it happened again but it didn't.

I have had a similar issue happen with a device connected to my A/V receiver (with another projector), and it turned out I had accidentally damaged the HDMI port in the device. I also seen another similar issue where it turned out the HDMI cable was damaged.

#1,159 ·
Thanks for your replies. I dont mean to upset any owners in this thread. Please understand i am only stating my experience.

A bit of background on myself. I used to work in the games industry working on PC and PS2 games. Unlike a lot of my industry peers, i love stereoscopic gaming.

I own a Samsung 3D C680 TV (lots of crosstalk), and a Sony HMZ-T1 & T2 (zero crosstalk) head mounted 3D display. So i am very experienced with what excellent 3D looks like, and am experienced with setting up hardware correctly to squeeze the best out of what i have. My post here is not to compare or VS any products. I am merely stating truthfully from my experience.

In my search for the perfect 3D projector for 3D Blu Ray, Stereoscopic 3D console gaming. My first purchased the Optoma HD33. Its a great projector for the price and the one i have decided to keep even tho its not perfect. Ive conceded that projectors may not be fast enough for gaming in stereoscopic 3D.

The 3D on the optoma is as far as i can see cross talk/ghosting free 99.9% of the time. Only extremely rarely do you see crosstalk/ghosting and its so minor it does not effect ones enjoyment. When i say crosstalk free, i do mean 99.9 of the time theres no cross talk ghosting at all thanks to its DLP technology.

Inspired by how good it was i went to a showroom and demoed the Epson TW9000. I put on the classes and the first thing i said to the saleman was.... OMG... there's no crosstalk/ghosting! I asked him i thought this was only possible with DLP projectors? He said the Epson is LCD.... and yes no crosstalk. I viewed Despicable Me, Avatar, and played Super Star Dust HD in Stereoscopic 3D. As far as i could see the 3D image in all instances looked as clean as on the Optoma. I was very impressed. But two things bugged me. I was sure the Optoma picture quality is sharper... and i was not convinced the Epson input lag was good enough for gaming.

After my demo i concluded... if the Epson's 3D was cross talk free.... surely the Panasonic would be just as good, if not better. Ive never seen a Panasonic 3D TV in action, but reviews say crosstalk is more or less non existent or extremely low. So surely this ability would translate to their projectors. And this is where i am very disappointed, the Panasonic AE8000/AT6000 has very poor 3D performance for its price. Even my £400 50in Samsung C680 3D TV matches it for crosstalk, the Panasonic is no better than 3 year old 3DTV technology.

I am sure i have the projector set up correctly, ive played around with every setting.

Before i purchased the Panasonic i spent 2 days reading forums reviews. Many people highlighted the crosstalk.ghosting problem. But i assumed they had sensitive eyes or maybe they had a defective unit.... or simply they set up their projector 3D incorrectly as they are inexperienced with 3D features. So i ignored these comments and paid a deposit and got to take the Panasonic home on trail.

In the end i kept the Optoma HD33. In 2D both projectors are great for gaming. The Optoma generally has a sharper gaming image, while the Panasonic has more beautiful colours & its increased contrast ratio result in a more solid image. Their 2D input lag is excellent, the edge i felt goes to the Panasonic as the response felt just that extra bit tighter.

Blu Ray and stereoscopic 3D console gaming the Optoma wins hands down as crosstalk/ghosting is absolutely minimal - zero 99.9% of the time. HOWEVER, for fast paced (Super Star Dust/ FPS Games) games neither are good enough as the input lag in 3D is awful, even in "game mode". I will say, the depth effect was superior with the Panasonic. I think its contrast ratio helps with the sense of depth. But this is completely offset by the horrible crosstalk.

The Panasonic in general has a better image quality, however i stress if you are a 3D lover, 3D gamer.... the Optoma is better because it has far superior crosstalk control.

Please understand i am not her to bash any one product. I want to help those who like myself spend weeks online reading conflicting reviews. IMHO... i dont think projectors can do low input lag stereoscopic 3D console gaming. I hope someone proves me wrong as i really want the perfect gaming projector. Ok maybe the Optoma GT750 can, buts its 720p and i want 1080p.

#1,160 ·
3DMAMPER,

Aren't all games side-by-side 3D? Have you tried watching a 3D bluray and see if you also see ghosting there? I have a D8000 Samsung plasma and I never notice ghosting with bluray's, but SBS 3D has extremely obvious ghosting.

#1,161 ·
As i said i watched lots of blu rays and some games can do frame packed. At least the ps3 can. Also i am referring to the panasonic AE8000/AT6000 not your Samsung TV!

Also my Samsung TV as i stated is a 3 uear old model. May even be older. It was one of the first generation 3D TVs hence i expected it to have crosstalk. But the panasonic projector is current and almost 3000GBP hence i expected it to be better. Especially becuase the Epson TW8000 was crosstalk free as far as i could see in my demo. And its kn the same price brand.

#1,162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22911804

Has anyone received their rebate yet? I mailed mine in late November and nothing.

Still waiting on mine as well.. mailed around Dec 13th.

#1,165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22923386

Same here. Mailed end of November/beginning of December and nothing yet.

I haven't received mine yet and sent rebate in early December. But, I spoke to one of the Panasonic reps last week and they said it takes 6 to 8 weeks for the check and 8 to 10 weeks for the glasses.

#1,166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikashc  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...pt-at6000e-european-version/120#post_22524315

Yup it was Half SBS. Full HD 3D does play without any ghosting.
I see lots of ghosting with SBS on my D8000 Samsung plasma and I also notice it everywhere with my friends VT50 Panasonic. I´m surprised if you've seen a display that doesn't have ghosting with SBS 3D.

#1,167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22923469

FYI, you can check here:

http://www.panasonicconsumerrebates.com

Thanks for sharing this link William. Kind of a bummer that I sent my rebate on Dec 5th and as per the site, they entered until Dec 17th....

On the bright site, at least I know now that it is currently in process.

Cheers!

#1,168 ·
Hi Keyser. Crosstalk is not due to SBS. It probably just happens to show up more on LCD & LED projectors & 3DTV's.

On my optoma HD33 which uses DLP technology and on my sony HMZ-T1 &T2 theres in zero crosstalk in all 3D formats including SBS. No crosstalk makes 3D gaming amazing and not distracting.

For those with the panasonic projector that dont get crosstalk, then im so happy for you as you are getting to enjoy 3D the way it should be. My post was to warn those who where considering projectors for fast paced 3D gaming, neither projectors are good enough due to high inout lag. But personally for me the optoma was a keeper as it had zero crosstalk.

#1,169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22923959

Hi Keyser. Crosstalk is not due to SBS. It probably just happens to show up more on LCD & LED projectors & 3DTV's.

On my optoma HD33 which uses DLP technology and on my sony HMZ-T1 &T2 theres in zero crosstalk in all 3D formats including SBS. No crosstalk makes 3D gaming amazing and not distracting.

For those with the panasonic projector that dont get crosstalk, then im so happy for you as you are getting to enjoy 3D the way it should be. My post was to warn those who where considering projectors for fast paced 3D gaming, neither projectors are good enough due to high inout lag. But personally for me the optoma was a keeper as it had zero crosstalk.

The input lag on the 8000 is REALLY good. I'm super sensitive to it as I play a lot of fighters, and in Game mode the input lag is virtually gone. It was a major reason I purchased this projector.

Now granted, it wasn't in 3D so that may be different.

#1,170 ·
[quote name="3DMamper" url="/t/1432437/official-owners-thread-panasonic-pt-ae8000u-us-version-pt-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22920124"I hope someone proves me wrong as i really want the perfect gaming projector. Ok maybe the Optoma GT750 can, buts its 720p and i want 1080p.[/quote]

Some certain 3D movies, for me with my settings, have more crosstalk than others. I just watched Resident Evil Afterlife and Coraline and saw very very minimal amount of crosstalk, whereas ParaNorman had more crosstalk than Coraline. But it's still minimal in ParaNorman. I did watch Despicable Me a while ago and did see more crosstalk than usual. But I assumed it was b/c of how aggressive 3D was in that feature, coupled with the high contrasting bright colors. Also, I view 3D with 3D glasses set to "light" (vs. "normal" or "dark"). I also don't use the frame creation feature which is supposed to minimize crosstalk.

I haven't tested 3D using a DLP TV or projector. So far, besides the AE8000, I've viewed 3D on LCD Passive TV (LG), LED Active Shutter TV (Sony), and a couple Plasma Active Shutter TVs (Samsung and Panasonic); and all showed very minimal ghosting, but the Passive LCD didn't seem to have any crosstalk whatsoever, perhaps because that Passive TV defaults to over 240hz when in 3D.

According to this article though http://hifi-writer.com/wpblog/?p=3451 , as you said with your Optoma DLP projector, DLP and Passive are the best for crosstalk issues. And 3D headsets are crosstalk-free in general. I read somewhere else that 3D gaming will display more crosstalk than 3D movies, just because of the nature of "free-movement" in gaming vs. controlled-framing in movies. I do prefer the sharpness and natural cinematic look of my old 2D DLP projector, but definitely favor the AE8000 for brighter colors and brightness, especially for 3D.

Also, FYI, I read somewhere to wait 15 to 20 minutes for projectors to completely "heat up" when watching 3D, which I think is correct b/c that's when I see the most ghosting (at the start of a movie).

#1,171 ·
I noticed crosstalk for the first time last night watching Dredd and showing off my projector to some friends. I had just turned it on however and when I played the same scene about an hour later because I was concerned the crosstalk was no longer there. Im definitely in agreement that a warm up period is needed for the best performance, at least in my set up

#1,173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22913350

Finally recieved my Panasonic 3D glasses and i will report what others have reported. Theres a lot of ghost/crosstalk in 3D mode.In the avatar the bacground is often blury becuase of the cross talk. On PS3 Motor storm rift, its not satisfying to race in 3D Mode because the details in the background and trakside middle distance objects are corstalked.

For 2D gaming its very good. As far as i can see lag free and very smooth. But in 3D mode theres too much crosstalk and the lag feels like 100ms. So super star dust HD is not very playable Normally on the sony HMZ-T1 i can get 40,000,000 points and lag free. On the Panasonic i can only get 10,000,000 points consiatantly.

Maybe someone can chime in on how to fix the crosstalk.

Hey 3DMamper, I decided to check out what you said about Stardust game on my PS3 since my projector was fully "warmed up" (after watching a 3D movie), and I don't see any crosstalk at all in Stardust. Definitely zero crosstalk. The text in the menus looked perfect, also the text and icons when playing in the game were also crosstalk free. The objects in the game, e.g. asteroids, ship, etc., had no ghosting. Everything look perfectly in 3D without any sort of double edges. Maybe there is something wrong with your projector or PS3 I assume? Or maybe your projector wasn't fully warmed up? Btw, when you connected your PS3 to the projector, did you adjust the PS3's display "automatic" settings in the XMB bar? You should've seen a menu that asked you what size your TV was, and you can only get to that menu on the PS3 by going through the automatic settings. Not sure if that's a factor though. If you got crosstalk in Stardust, I can imagine that's affecting your 3D in 3D movies as well. As I said before, that is after fixing my focus on my pj, crosstalk is very minimal on this projector. For instance, I just watched a Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs, and I barely saw any crosstalk.

#1,174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp84  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22924370

I noticed crosstalk for the first time last night watching Dredd and showing off my projector to some friends. I had just turned it on however and when I played the same scene about an hour later because I was concerned the crosstalk was no longer there. Im definitely in agreement that a warm up period is needed for the best performance, at least in my set up
Panasonic advises to focus the projector after the 30 minute warm-up period. Perhaps this helps crosstalk reduction.

#1,175 ·
Hi again yes i did allow the projector to warm up (some of my testing sessions where 3hrs). I check focusing and also tried motion remaster on/off. None of it made any difference. As i said ive spent ages reading forums and have tried everything.

All i can figure is maybe its the HDMi cable i used. But it cant be as the very same cable i use on the optoma hd33 and its perfect. Even on Despicable Me me which is a very aggresive 3D effect movie.

#1,176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22925346

Hi again yes i did allow the projector to warm up (some of my testing sessions where 3hrs). I check focusing and also tried motion remaster on/off. None of it made any difference. As i said ive spent ages reading forums and have tried everything.

All i can figure is maybe its the HDMi cable i used. But it cant be as the very same cable i use on the optoma hd33 and its perfect. Even on Despicable Me me which is a very aggresive 3D effect movie.

I have a feeling it's to do with your picture settings. What picture mode are you both using?