AVS Forum banner
669K views 6K replies 781 participants last post by  Dylanski 
#1 ·
The fun has begun. Received mine today and have it set up and running. My fourth projector and first experience with home 3D. Overall, I am delighted with this unit.

I am amazed at how good the 3D looks. I'm projecting 19' to a 140" Carada Criterion screen with the 1.4 gain brilliant white. Room is totally dark with dark walls, ceiling and carpet. The projector is very bright in normal 2D, and looked good in the half hour or so of 3D I watched. I need to buy a broader sample of 3D blu-rays and plan to do so this weekend. I'm using the Panasonic glasses and they seem to work flawlessly. Also, as per many other reports, that joystick lens shift is not great. Fortunately, and contrary to what I have been told, my 8000 seems to have a center detent setting, which eliminates any challenges for me. My PJ is on a shelf, with the lens centered top to bottom and side to side on the screen, so I just lock it in the center detent setting and ignore it. Fine tuning is with the PJ legs and slight sideways rotation of the projecter. I'll report more as I have a chance to spend more time with it over the next several days.

See less See more
#1,177 ·
I ran thru all the picture modes. Gaming and Cinema2 where my two faves.

Btw. Did the panasonic have a factory reset to get all the settings back to normal. As i looked all over the menus and nothing. At least the Optoma had a reset and if i ever messed things up i fixed it back to defaults with one press.

The panasonic i demoed at home as borrowed from a shop by placing down a full value deposit. I thought maybe customers or their shop staff messed up the setting. But tbh looking at its me us theres no much you can mess up.

#1,178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by timclove  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...pt-at6000e-european-version/150#post_22531717

First, let me say that this is not my first post. I could not log in with my old username as the password info was part of my work email, and I don't work there any more so I could not get it.

AE8000 CROSSTALK IS SOOO MUCH BETTER. Sorry for the caps, but it's important. I went through two AE7000s. The first one I received was not properly aligned, so I sent it back to company which sent a replacement. When that one arrived, the image was better (2D looked fine) but crosstalk was horrible. I finally sent it back to Panasonic (took over 4 weeks to get it back) and they replaced a circuit board. It also developed three dust blobs in less than a month which they did not clean even though I reported it. The picture was better but there was just something that wasn't right about it. 2D was great, but 3D for lack of a better word was lifeless (like out of focus). I was hesitant to spend $3,000 on the AE8000 especially since the 7000 was about a year old (I'm not rich). However, let me just say...wow.

Details:

About 166" image thrown on a painted wall (Behr Premium)....sorry guys...but it looks awesome without an expensive screen.

BD player tried was Panasonic 210 and Sony 790. Sony 790 might have a bit of an edge with picture quality.

Panasonic 3rd generation glasses

Movies demoed:

Lion King

Toy Story

Adventures of Tin Tin

Legends of the Guardians (Owl movie)

The Avengers

In each and every one, the detail, depth, colors, etc. were so much better. Crosstalk was negligible. Was it gone completely? No, but you can only see in bright background scenes. A good example is in Tin Tin when they are walking in the desert after the plane crash. There is some crosstalk around the bodies of Tin Tin and the captain. However, if that's the worst, I'll take it.

The light output is much improved. I can watch a movie in "Normal" with the glasses set at "medium" and it is perfectly fine. Dynamic, while giving more "pop" makes it looks artificial. I've tried both Eco and Normal light modes. Eco is a bit darker, but again, negligible to affect enjoyment of 3D.

To those on the fence, I'll be one of the first to say that this projector is light years ahead of what I saw on my 7000. I have done no calibration yet, either.

I hope this helps a bit.

Tim

Somthing I've not read about is the fan noise comparison between the 7000 and the 8000, given that is has a brighter bulb which generates more heat.

Has anyone upgraded from the 7000 to the 8000 that is in a position to clarify this ?

I'm not talking about (claimed) numbers from Panasonic, I would like to know from someone that has actually comparred them

Thanks

#1,179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1140#post_22916947

So I experienced something just now for the first time on this projector, and it's not a good thing.

I was playing my Xbox 360 and was playing some Forza Horizon when the screen went black for a second. The sound was still coming out of my speakers so the AVR was still getting signal from the 360. It came back on like a second later and I was like wtf so I paused it and got up, like if someone was messing around with me. Then like 4-5 more times, the screen went off then back on, like a second or so off then back on. It happened like every 5-8 seconds or so, then stopped.

I started playing again and then the screen went black again for a second then back on. It happened only 1 more time after that. I continued to play for like 15 more minutes and had my camera ready to take a video if it happened again but it didn't.

Has anyone seen this happen? Is this the dreaded "flicker" problem from the 7000 that I had heard about?

On another note, today is the first day I had my projector hooked up with the serial cable to a GC-100 device, and I'm now controlling it with Roomie Remote. Could that have anything to do with it?

I probably have like 150 hours on the projector if that is any info that would help. I can check the exact hours tomorrow.

This blows happening the day before the Super Bowl...

I just wanted to give an update on this, because I saw this issue 2 more times since then, and I was looking for just a little bit more input before I try to pinpoint down what this is.

The following day of my previous post was superbowl sunday and we watched the game for 4 hours or so straight with no flickering. I was then listening to some music on pandora on my receiver, and noticed it happened again. So this wasn't on the 360 input, it was on another one.

Last night I was playing PS3 and this happened more than once again, like 30 minutes in. And I only played about 90 minutes total. It was frustrating as hell and I tried messing with some HDMI cables.

I currently have a 25' HDMI cable from my projector in the wall to a wall jack in a closet. From that wall jack I have another HDMI cable connected to my receiver. then I have a bunch of HDMI cables running to the other components. Also, the 25' cable I'm using now is the same one that I had been using for a month or so before I did the in-wall wiring and never had this issue.

So I swapped the hdmi cable going from the wall jack to the AVR, since I had seen this issue on 3 separate inputs. it seemed to fix the problem, but then I saw the flicker happen 2 more times. They didn't happen in succession like the previous ones did, but they happened.

I also tried using the other HDMI output on my receiver, with the original cable, and saw this issue as well.

So does anyone have any other suggestions on what to trouble shoot if I see this popping up again? Luckily I did run another HDMI cable in the wall so last resort, I will take the faceplates off the walls and try plugging the other HDMI cable into the projector. But I kind of want to get rid of all other possibilities before I go that route.

Has anyone heard of these HDMI wall jacks causing issues like this? Also, could running my HDMI cables (the ones that go to the components and AVR, not the in wall one) right along with the power cables that plug into the wall cause something like this? I always figured that if something was messed up with the HDMI cable, that the sound wouldn't come from the HDMI cable either.

Or could this be caused from a heating issue? The first 2 days this happened it didn't happen for at least 3 hours of components being on, although last night it happened within an hour, so I'm not sure if that coudl be the culprit.

#1,181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYHOMETHEATER  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22930607

Trying to decide between this projector and a jvc with eshift. I'm going to be using a 2.35 screen about 120 inch diagonal. First row seating at about 11 feet from the screen How is the picture quality going to look am i going to see pixels?

Thanks

I have the 4000 not the 8000, but it applies here. 146" screen @ 2.35 and 12' seating distance, not pixels at all. You don't have to worry about that.

#1,182 ·
Just received this projector after a ton a research and went with it over the new jvc rs46 mainly because the lag time and that I wasn't sure if the jvc was $900 better (considering all the rebates for the Panny).

But after reading these last few pages I'm getting worried. I have not even turned it on yet. Should I be sending it back for the JVC?

The color uniformity issue has me worried. I was willing to sacrifice a little black level for lag time but....

I plan on going with a scope screen around 125" in a light controlled room.

#1,184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22933586

Are your ceilings near the screen light treated? In a light controlled / reflection controlled room, there is a substantial difference between the 8000 and the RS46 if contrast / black level is a focus point.

The screen wall and ceiling is painted black. The walls are beige.

#1,186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22936686

I received the $100 rebate check today, but no glasses or extended warranty. Hopefully all that will come in shortly. I mailed mine in late November.

Same here! Check is in

No glasses/extended warranty card yet!

#1,189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldstate  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22933558

Just received this projector after a ton a research and went with it over the new jvc rs46 mainly because the lag time and that I wasn't sure if the jvc was $900 better (considering all the rebates for the Panny).

But after reading these last few pages I'm getting worried. I have not even turned it on yet. Should I be sending it back for the JVC?

The color uniformity issue has me worried. I was willing to sacrifice a little black level for lag time but....

I plan on going with a scope screen around 125" in a light controlled room.

If color uniformity is your main goal, I'd avoid an LCD projector. I've never seen a Panasonic projector (and I've owned several 4000s, 7000s, and now an 8000) with good color uniformity.

Now, whether YOU notice it is a whole other situation. Apparently not a lot of people do, which is why Panasonic gets away with releasing these projectors every year with no apparent change to the uniformity issue.

If it sounds like I'm irritated with Panasonic, it's because I am. Kinda wish I'd gone with the JVC at times.

#1,190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22940577

If it sounds like I'm irritated with Panasonic, it's because I am. Kinda wish I'd gone with the JVC at times.

Lol...then you'd be over at the JVC thread ranting about rainbow effect, poor brightness, and excessive crosstalk!

#1,191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t6000e-european-version/1150_50#post_22940664

Lol...then you'd be over at the JVC thread ranting about rainbow effect, poor brightness, and excessive crosstalk!

Rainbows are only on single chip DLPs that have color wheels, JVC has increased their brightness by 15% this generation and is actually brighter than the pannasonic, and their 3D went through an overhaul and seems to be worlds better this year.

#1,192 ·
How much will the lag time difference between the Panny and the JVC actually effect gaming? I wouldn't consider myself a "gamer" but I go through stints through out the year. I usually buy the new football game and Call of Duty and play both (75% football) for a few months and then stop. Will the JVC lag time make it impossible to play a shooter game?

Lag time played a role in my division to buy the Panny.

#1,193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22940692

Rainbows are only on single chip DLPs that have color wheels, JVC has increased their brightness by 15% this generation and is actually brighter than the pannasonic, and their 3D went through an overhaul and seems to be worlds better this year.

Thanks for that report, professor; maybe you didn't catch that I was kidding around?

#1,194 ·
Thanks Oldstate, i dont know why when i try to search Ae8000u owners thread i cant find it, while the epson 5020 is easily found.so i have to use Oldstate link to go to this forum.

I just want to share because I just bought this projector, and i must say i am impressed.

AE8000u wasn't my first choice, i ve actually already placed an order on an Epson 6020 ($3500) (the more expensive brother of Epson 5020)when i 1st ordered it they said in stock but i waited a month, while i dig more deeper on this Panasonic AE8000u. The more i ve read, the more i fall in love with Panasonic. On paper its all look the same between Epson and Panasonic, but there are couple of things, which gave me the final push to cancel my Epson order; mainly the fan noise, the ability for memory lens , the ability for people to switch off 3d function in their glasses while the other are still watching 3d from the same source, and the price these four it is important for me.

Fan noise makes lots of diffrent when watching those thriller movie

Memory lens, means i can watch movie in 235:1

Usually we all like to watch movie together but not all like 3D movie, the panny glasses can turn the 3d function off individualy, it is a great help

Price (what i really want is a 4k projector, so while the technology battling out, i just settle with a $2500 projector)

And i am glad i choose the Panasonic, so please share other thoughts about this projector.

#1,195 ·
Hey guys just a little FYI for those of you out there who may not have known about something, because I didn't for 4 months of owning this projector till just now.

I was messing around with my AVR settings and was looking at the HDMI settings, and noticed there is a "normal" and "enhanced" color mode. The normal mode has colors in the 16-255 rgb color spectrum. The enhanced has it from 0-255 and it said to select this to get rid of washed out black colors. Well my AVR was set to normal by default so I changed it.

And I definitely noticed a difference. It definitely has deeper blacks now. So just giving a heads up to those of you who may have this option on your AVR as well. I own a Denon 4311ci so if anyone has this you may want to check it out!

#1,196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22930238

I just wanted to give an update on this, because I saw this issue 2 more times since then, and I was looking for just a little bit more input before I try to pinpoint down what this is.

The following day of my previous post was superbowl sunday and we watched the game for 4 hours or so straight with no flickering. I was then listening to some music on pandora on my receiver, and noticed it happened again. So this wasn't on the 360 input, it was on another one.

Last night I was playing PS3 and this happened more than once again, like 30 minutes in. And I only played about 90 minutes total. It was frustrating as hell and I tried messing with some HDMI cables.

I currently have a 25' HDMI cable from my projector in the wall to a wall jack in a closet. From that wall jack I have another HDMI cable connected to my receiver. then I have a bunch of HDMI cables running to the other components. Also, the 25' cable I'm using now is the same one that I had been using for a month or so before I did the in-wall wiring and never had this issue.

So I swapped the hdmi cable going from the wall jack to the AVR, since I had seen this issue on 3 separate inputs. it seemed to fix the problem, but then I saw the flicker happen 2 more times. They didn't happen in succession like the previous ones did, but they happened.

I also tried using the other HDMI output on my receiver, with the original cable, and saw this issue as well.

So does anyone have any other suggestions on what to trouble shoot if I see this popping up again? Luckily I did run another HDMI cable in the wall so last resort, I will take the faceplates off the walls and try plugging the other HDMI cable into the projector. But I kind of want to get rid of all other possibilities before I go that route.

Has anyone heard of these HDMI wall jacks causing issues like this? Also, could running my HDMI cables (the ones that go to the components and AVR, not the in wall one) right along with the power cables that plug into the wall cause something like this? I always figured that if something was messed up with the HDMI cable, that the sound wouldn't come from the HDMI cable either.

Or could this be caused from a heating issue? The first 2 days this happened it didn't happen for at least 3 hours of components being on, although last night it happened within an hour, so I'm not sure if that coudl be the culprit.

I have this same problem and have not been able to determine the cause. For me it happens only with content from the HTPC with some blu-ray disk and some mkv's but mostly it happens when watching cablecard TV in WMC. When a show changes scenes or goes to commercial the screen gos black or blue but the sound does not stutter. Sometimes the picture comes back and sometimes i need to switch inputs or change the channel to get the video to come back. I thought it might be a video card issue with the computer but now I will check for a bad cable. I'm using a 30ft redmere cable from my onkyo 818 to the projector so maybe that is the problem.

#1,198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22946466

why is the PT8000 in the $3000 + MSRP thread?

its a sub $3000 projector and it shows
Well, when it was released I believe the MSRP was either 3099 or 3199 with a MAP of 2999. Hence its spot in the 3000+ forum...

#1,200 ·
I have also experienced the same picture loss as Purbeast & others several times now, it happened twice within a minute when watching a Blu ray last night 15 minutes into the film then performed perfectly for 3 hours.

My 10m hdmi cable is linked directly to my Panasonic Blu ray player so I think handshake problems are unlikely.

I don't think this is related to the flicker problem as this seems more like a signal loss (the screen goes blue then the input menu is displayed on screen) rather than fluctuations in light.

#1,201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.woodhouse  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/1170#post_22947653

I have also experienced the same picture loss as Purbeast & others several times now, it happened twice within a minute when watching a Blu ray last night 15 minutes into the film then performed perfectly for 3 hours.

My 10m hdmi cable is linked directly to my Panasonic Blu ray player so I think handshake problems are unlikely.

I don't think this is related to the flicker problem as this seems more like a signal loss (the screen goes blue then the input menu is displayed on screen) rather than fluctuations in light.

I thought I had fixed my issue by switching the input on the rear of my projector to input 2. I had the projector on multiple inputs over 5+ hours straight so I figured it was fine.

Then last night I put on a movie in my PS3 and within the first 15 minutes or so, it flickered off again 3x in a row like it had previously. Additionally, I have my background color set to black, and the default is blue, so maybe if I had it on the default blue I would be seeing blue flickering instead of black.

But then I had my projector on for probably 5 more hours after, and it didn't happen once.

So I'm not sure.

FWIW, my HDMI cable is a 25' Blue Rigger brand. It is highly rated and high speed as well.

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B005LQ83EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360543145&sr=8-1&keywords=25%27+hdmi+cable+blue+rigger

I just hope this is something that doesn't pop up all the time. And when it does, it is usually happens 3x in a row, and the sound never cuts out.