Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetViper View Post

Not too worried about the glasses. I have 2 pair from my panny tvs. wink.gif

I have a Panasonic ST50 plasma TV and the glasses for that don't work on the 8000 and vice versa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

I have a Panasonic ST50 plasma TV and the glasses for that don't work on the 8000 and vice versa.

That's strange. I have the older glasses and newer and both work on my tvs.

Does the ae8000 still have dust blog issues? That seemed common on the ae4000.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I figured out my video problem on my projector when it was connected to my new HTPC. I guess I must had a bad motherboard or HDMI Out port on the pc because I replaced the motherboard and everything looks good now, no pixelation when watching movies and the overall picture is much sharper. Now I just have to calibrate and focus the display as best as I can to make the video look as good as it does coming from the PS3.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post

I figured out my video problem on my projector when it was connected to my new HTPC. I guess I must had a bad motherboard or HDMI Out port on the pc because I replaced the motherboard and everything looks good now, no pixelation when watching movies and the overall picture is much sharper. Now I just have to calibrate and focus the display as best as I can to make the video look as good as it does coming from the PS3.

Good to hear. Improvement probably not due to the motherboard, per se, but because of new graphics card, which I assume is integrated on mobo so would have changed if you swapped it. Curious, is it still a Radeon or does this one have NVIDIA or Intel?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xank View Post

Good to hear. Improvement probably not due to the motherboard, per se, but because of new graphics card, which I assume is integrated on mobo so would have changed if you swapped it. Curious, is it still a Radeon or does this one have NVIDIA or Intel?

That's the weird thing, i'm using the same GPU/CPU that was on the other motherboard. It's not an integrated GPU on the motherboard but on the actual CPU chip. I am using an AMD FM2 ITX motherboard with an AMD A10 5700 3.2ghz quad, it has an integrated GPU (ATI Radeon 7560). I'm still using the same HDMI cable, same ATI driver. So in my mind it comes down to being maybe the other motherboard had a faulty hdmi connection or something.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:

That's the weird thing, i'm using the same GPU/CPU that was on the other motherboard. It's not an integrated GPU on the motherboard but on the actual CPU chip. I am using an AMD FM2 ITX motherboard with an AMD A10 5700 3.2ghz quad, it has an integrated GPU (ATI Radeon 7560). I'm still using the same HDMI cable, same ATI driver. So in my mind it comes down to being maybe the other motherboard had a faulty hdmi connection or something.

AMD APU.

Whole thing is very weird. Glad you solved your problem, but this is why I don't HTPC any more.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Eh, while I was waiting for my glasses, I bought some glasses that were listed as compatible with IR 3D on Panny TV's. They didn't work with the projector. I think they use different systems.

The TY-EW3D2MA pair I got with my P65V30 worked perfect on the 8k.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post

The TY-EW3D2MA pair I got with my P65V30 worked perfect on the 8k.

The first gen infrared Panasonic 3D glasses work with the AE8000, and the 3rd gen glasses work with that TV as well.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 PM

Liked: 24
Just got my Panasonic PT-AE 8000u.

After evaluating for about 4 hours, I absolutely loved my experience with the Panasonic and I'm keeping it.

I definitely got pretty lucky from what I can tell on the quality of my Panasonic as everything seems pretty much flawless. Convergence, focus uniformity, color, uniformity, sharpness, etc all look excellent on my product.

As far as as a comparison to my old previous HC3800 it's easy to make. Everything is significantly better. First off I immediately notice the much brighter image. According to projector central reviews, the HC3800 is about 1000 lumens in the bright accurate mode, and the accurate Cinema 2 mode on the Panasonic is around 1600 lumens.

Next, the black levels were immediately noticeable as considerably better. I have had the Iris enables on the Panasonic now these 2 days and I haven't heard it make sound or anything and don't ever really notice it moving. I can tell it does work though when I change what I am looking at on my computer as my source is an HTPC. So when I launch a video into full screen for example I can see the progress bar get lighter and darker and stuff. Blacks are so dark compared to what I was used to on my HC3800 and the image pops considerably with the much higher brightness than I'm used to. Shadow detail in movies like The Hobbit and Harry Potter really impressed me as well. Overall it so much more closely resembles how I remember The Hobbit looking in the Theater.

None of this should be a surprise though as the Panasonic was significantly more expensive than the HC3800 at any point.

The other main thing i spent a lot of time checking during my evaluation was 3D. My only other 3D display is my computer monitor, it's a 120Hz 2nd generation 3D vision display with LightBoost tech and such. I have seen lots of 3D at the store and I was at CES just last January as well.

Well, I can say the 3D from the Panasonic thoroughly pleased me. I was able to set the Panasonic to Dynamic mode with some slight tweaks to the color contrasts and it produces an extremely bright (~2400 lumens) picture with reasonably accurate color. Nothing that screams green or blue in the color to me, especially with the glasses on. Coupled with that I was able to set my Panasonic third generation glasses to the "Light" mode and I went ghost hunting. I was able to see some crosstalk in the reference scenes that most people here talk about (space ticket in Despicable Me) but over all the crosstalk was very minimal in my opinion and far from distracting. In the vast majority of films I never saw any crosstalk, especially when I wasn't actively hunting for it. I sampled long scenes from Avatar, the Avengers, Harry Potter, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me, and The Hobbit. After all that I only saw a handful of ghosts and they were pretty slight and again IMO not distracting to me. I also played some Guild Wars 2 and Team Fortress 2 in nVidia 3DTV Play and saw no ghosting in TF2 and only a small bit in GW2, but not enough to cause me any problems or distract me from the awesome immersive 3D game play.

I'll leave you with a few pics I took of my screen so you can see the quality of the product I "lucked out" on.

http://imgur.com/a/byO1p#0

The red seems a bit off to the side, but this was taken on the edge of my screen. In the middle the red is aligned perfectly and on the other side its off by that 1/2 pixel or so in the other direction, so it's very uniform overall.
fgsouza and bdfanatic like this.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post

As far as as a comparison to my old previous HC3800 it's easy to make. Everything is significantly better. First off I immediately notice the much brighter image. According to projector central reviews, the HC3800 is about 1000 lumens in the bright accurate mode, and the accurate Cinema 2 mode on the Panasonic is around 1600 lumens.

Congratulations and welcome. Hope you enjoy your projector as much as many of us have.

Having recently measured and calibrated my 8000, just want to point out two things:

1. Manufacturer presets are rarely "accurate", particularly at this price point. At best you can say it is "accurate-er" than some of the other presets on the machine. But every preset on the 8000 is red deficient. Or rather, there is a surplus of blue and green, which is the trick they use to achieve their high stated lumen counts. Which leads to my second point...

2. 1600 lumens for Cinema 2 mode is fantasy. Once calibrated, Cinema 2 mode will give you something like 500 to 600 lumens. This still yields plenty of ftL for most setups, but the point is manufacturer's stated lumen counts cannot be relied upon.

These are not unique criticisms of the 8000, that is just the truth about how manufacturers are doing their marketing.

Have fun!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:20 PM

Hmm, Projector Central measured ~1600 on Cinema 2 stock and Art even measured ~1200 after calibration on Cinema 2.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Hmm, Projector Central measured ~1600 on Cinema 2 stock and Art even measured ~1200 after calibration on Cinema 2.
Quote:

To be fair the brightness will vary depending on throw distance and zoom. Projector Central doesn't state at what zoom they did their measurement. Art's review calibrated REC709, not Cinema 2. The Cinema 2 number in Art's review looks to be with factory defaults.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:

To be fair the brightness will vary depending on throw distance and zoom. Projector Central doesn't state at what zoom they did their measurement. Art's review calibrated REC709, not Cinema 2. The Cinema 2 number in Art's review looks to be with factory defaults.

Ah yeah. I do have a rather large 136" screen but I do have my Panasonic at the closest possible throw distance and am using Cinema 2 uncalibrated as I really quite like the look of it. I tried adding some red but it just looked too red. I guess I prefer a cooler image. All I know is it looks super bright like a Plasma even at 136" hehe. My room is completely light controlled as well though so I know that helps a lot.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:

using Cinema 2 uncalibrated as I really quite like the look of it. I tried adding some red but it just looked too red. I guess I prefer a cooler image.

That's what everyone (including me) says before they've seen their projector calibrated.

You have just become accustomedaddicted to the inaccurate color that manufacturers have subjected you to all these years. It's like the chemicals they put in Pringles so you can't just eat one. It's unnatural. You need to try an organic potato latke.
Quote:

All I know is it looks super bright like a Plasma even at 136" hehe. My room is completely light controlled as well though so I know that helps a lot.

Oh it's definitely plenty bright. Now get a Darbee.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM

Sir Master, I see you stated you are connected via a HTPC, are you using HDMI? I'm having problems getting a sharp enough picture via HDMI. Did you calibrate the colors, contrast, etc on the HTPC or do anything else to achieve a good picture from your PC?

I get a clear and sharp picture when I use my Projector with my PS3 (bluray) and also any other source except my computer. The text is a little fuzzy, and the movies played on it although they look good, they look a little soft (but snowy at the same time, like there is a lot of film grain).
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Sir Master, I see you stated you are connected via a HTPC, are you using HDMI? I'm having problems getting a sharp enough picture via HDMI. Did you calibrate the colors, contrast, etc on the HTPC or do anything else to achieve a good picture from your PC?

I get a clear and sharp picture when I use my Projector with my PS3 (bluray) and also any other source except my computer. The text is a little fuzzy, and the movies played on it although they look good, they look a little soft (but snowy at the same time, like there is a lot of film grain).

Yes I am using HDMI. I have not needed to change any special settings. My HTPC is really just my desktop. I'm running long HDMI cables from my bedroom into my living room. So I'm using a GTX 680 to output to my Denon Receiver then into the Panasonic. Picture looks like a PC monitor, very sharp and clean to me. Not razor sharp like my previous single chip DLP, but still quite sharp. Video looks a lot more detailed and far better than my old DLP though despite the slightly less sharpness
Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:

I thought a motherboard swap solved your problem?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 12
I have a convergence issue with mine, similar to what others have shown in images. It's been a week now since I contacted Visual Apex about it and they keep phoning me while I'm at work despite me having submitted my support request via email.

Thankfully, having purchased using AMEX, if I get sick of waiting I can just box it up, mail it off, and get a refund without having to deal with VA. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have a question about 3D.

I watched The Hobbit last night and it looked great. However, some scenes the 3D looks great with no crosstalk, but then in the next scene I will notice some crosstalk. Is there any ideal settings to put the projector on to get this reduced? It is just a tad frustrating when something looks oh so crisp in one scene, then the next scene you see the crosstalk and get a blurry looking picture.

I've also noticed recently, when my screen is 100% black like when a disc is loading up, that I can see this one small white spot to the left center of my screen. If I look directly at it, it's hard to notice. But if I focus on elsewhere on the screen, I can make it out slightly. It's very very dull and dim but I can definitely notice it. My wife did not notice it and couldn't see it until I had to actually point it out to her, and now she can see it.

But it is only when the screen is like 100% black, so it doesn't show up at all really in any movies. There were a few scenes in Zero Dark Thirty where I did notice it though, but only because I was looking for it.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi purbeast
To make sure that it's a dust blow, by defocusing the image, try to make focus on it. The color of the blob will show you where (in the light path) is located the dust. I think that, as you said, it's too small to make a warranty claim. If it really bothers you, you can clean it with compressed air. There are many tutorials that will teach you how to do it: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=123351
Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Ah okay I will try that out. I was thinking it was possibly something like dust on the lense as well but just wasn't sure.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

I have a question about 3D.

I watched The Hobbit last night and it looked great. However, some scenes the 3D looks great with no crosstalk, but then in the next scene I will notice some crosstalk. Is there any ideal settings to put the projector on to get this reduced? It is just a tad frustrating when something looks oh so crisp in one scene, then the next scene you see the crosstalk and get a blurry looking picture.

I've also noticed recently, when my screen is 100% black like when a disc is loading up, that I can see this one small white spot to the left center of my screen. If I look directly at it, it's hard to notice. But if I focus on elsewhere on the screen, I can make it out slightly. It's very very dull and dim but I can definitely notice it. My wife did not notice it and couldn't see it until I had to actually point it out to her, and now she can see it.

But it is only when the screen is like 100% black, so it doesn't show up at all really in any movies. There were a few scenes in Zero Dark Thirty where I did notice it though, but only because I was looking for it.
Good news on the Hobbit I think. My wife and son bought me Monsters Inc and Hobbit in 3D for my birthday. Watched Monsters and I had my first glitch on my OPPO player as the audio was out with the picture. In addition to a little freezing. After waiting too long I remedied this by restarting the player! Still looking for the time for that Hobbit.

I have the exact problem with the hard to see white section lower left of the center screen. At first thought it was a dust blob, but its not consistent so my guess is light leaking internally? keep in mind anyone this is really hard to see you must have you bat cave in dark mode and a source making black black.

When I say it doesn't always happen or not consistent. My second guess was my own eyes never had time to adjust and missed the imperfection in black. In any event I'm OK with this one as nobody in my house can see it.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a question on masking. I have a 16:9 screen and use the shift and masking to move a 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 to the bottom of the screen. The problem is the top mask only masks about half way and the rest from where the mask ends to where the picture starts is not masked. Am I missing something or is this pretty much the limitation of the top masking area? I'm surprised Panasonic didn't consider that folks with 16:9 screens would want to move the movie image all the way to the bottom of the screen.

Here's what I'm talking about. I also wonder if Panasonic can update the projector to mask a larger area via a firmware update.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 AM

I'm having low quality issues on HDMI inputs, while the PJ menus are displayed perfectly. The source (a 7970) is connected trough a Yamaha 673 to the projector, it looks like that the image has been compressed somehow. I'm having the same problem with a PS3, also routed trough the Yamaha.

What should i check?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:32 PM

You have the sharpness settings at 0?
Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedivad View Post

I'm having low quality issues on HDMI inputs, while the PJ menus are displayed perfectly. The source (a 7970) is connected trough a Yamaha 673 to the projector, it looks like that the image has been compressed somehow. I'm having the same problem with a PS3, also routed trough the Yamaha.

What should i check?
Start with your video card's resolution. I have an ATI card and at times, since I switch between TV and projector, the auto-switch will set 1080i (30Hz) rather than 1080p (60Hz). I also turn OFF all video card processing like sharpness, dynamic contrast and so on so make sure those things are off.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedivad View Post

What should i check?

I posted something very similar, I didn't post pictures but I'm seeing similar results when connecting my AE8000u to my htpc. Things are just not sharp at all, problem is I did the checks most people say to do in the ATI CCC panel. For some reason the picture is blurry in the corners and the overall picture is not good unlike when watching blu-rays on via my PS3 everything looks crystal clear.

I'm using the following

1.) 1080p via 60hertz on the desktop resolution
2.) ATI CCC all image enhancing controls are turned off.
3.) ATI CCC Pixel Format is RGB 4:4:4 Full
4.) ATI CCC Scaling is turned off, and overscan is set to 0%.

List can go on and on, I'm starting to think the Panasonic AE8000 is not a very good projector to be used with a PC. My problem is there aren't any other projectors out there in my price range that are going to satisfy me. I like a very bright picture and I like watching 3d movies. I need it to be bright in 3d and 2d. I don't use a calibrated dim picture in 3d mode, i use normal on my glasses and dynamic on the picture. On 2d I like to use either Normal (which was semi-calibrated via the WOW disk) or Cinema 1.

Using a 125" 2.35:1 screen.

If anyone else has had these problems when trying to use a HTPC via an ATI video card please chime in.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:

List can go on and on, I'm starting to think the Panasonic AE8000 is not a very good projector to be used with a PC. .

I wouldn't go as far as to say this. I only use my Panasonic AE8000 with my desktop PC and it looks 100% perfectly sharp like any PC monitor. If the Panasonic AE8000 itself wasn't good for PC wouldn't that mean it would have be bad for everyone? If it's just a few instances then that means it has to be a different variable that is not the Panasonic AE8000 itself.

Nobody mentioned if they checked the sharpness setting on their projector yet. Your pictures look exactly like when I turn up the sharpness on my Panasonic AE8000, even just up to 1.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't go as far as to say this. I only use my Panasonic AE8000 with my desktop PC and it looks 100% perfectly sharp like any PC monitor. If the Panasonic AE8000 itself wasn't good for PC wouldn't that mean it would have be bad for everyone? If it's just a few instances then that means it has to be a different variable that is not the Panasonic AE8000 itself.

Nobody mentioned if they checked the sharpness setting on their projector yet. Your pictures look exactly like when I turn up the sharpness on my Panasonic AE8000, even just up to 1.

Yeah, I'm probably going overboard, I guess I'm just frustrated. I paid probably over $1,000 getting all the components for my HTPC and spending a lot of time backing up over 700 movies in lossless MKV format and then when it's all said and done, I haven't been happy with the quality of the my picture coming out of the projector when connected to my pc.

I out of the country right now, i'm in Japan on business but I will try to mess with the sharpness and refocus again for the pc when I get back home. I also thought about getting a high end NVidia gaming graphics card, I know that's overkill but I'm hoping maybe I can get sharp video and be able to play games as well. Right now I'm just using the integrated AMD GPU in the AMD A-10 5700 APU.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM

All I can say is it works like you would expect with my GTX 680 and my roommates GTX 580. I'm sure you will eventually get it sorted out. It's got to be a setting or a defect. No way it's normal.

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector