Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 3506 Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone know of child size glasses compatible with the 8000? I see a bunch on eBay that are reasonable at ~$35 pair. I've contacted the seller and their repsonse was basically buy them if they dont work send them back LOL. just trying to save some hassle. The current regular panny ones (Mediums) keep falling off my little 3 year olds button nose. And she keeps asking to watch Monster Inc in 3D.
stevegamble likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 3506 Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've seen a couple posts on here about a high pitched sound coming from the 8000. Mine started to do that this week. Has anyone resolved this outside of sending it back for a replacement? I really don't want to send it in as I've got it dialed in pretty well and love the pic. The whine however is starting to get to me in quiet scenes.
post #1473 of 3506 Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Sales on the AE8000 dropped the 3 yr warranty and increased the price back up to $2699. Any ideas when panasonic is going to drop its new model?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #1474 of 3506 Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Sales on the AE8000 dropped the 3 yr warranty and increased the price back up to $2699. Any ideas when panasonic is going to drop its new model?

$2599 on ProjectorPeople.com right now. I could be very close to pulling the trigger. Anyone seen anything cheaper by an AUTHORIZED Panny seller/dealer?

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #1475 of 3506 Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post

All I can say is it works like you would expect with my GTX 680 and my roommates GTX 580. I'm sure you will eventually get it sorted out. It's got to be a setting or a defect. No way it's normal.
It fixed itself. I didn't changed anything, i really don't understand what's going on.
post #1476 of 3506 Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

See this video about how to set/use the Lens Memory feature:

Thank you! That helped explain it very well. I now have it all set up. It works great on most 2.34:1 material... But, last night we watched Priest... it's AR is 2.4:1... the projector didn't recognize it... not a big deal, just had to manually select from memory load.

Also found the first three training videos.. thought I'd share them too. I think they were very helpful.

This one covers the basic picture options.

This one has some good calibration info

This video covers 3D adjustments.
laugsbach and bdfanatic like this.
post #1477 of 3506 Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Liked: 17
Thanks for posting those videos, i didnt know they were out there...learned a lot!
post #1478 of 3506 Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foraye View Post

Thanks for posting those videos, i didnt know they were out there...learned a lot!

Your welcome, but cr136124 deserves the thanks... I wouldn't have even started searching for them if he hadn't posted the 4th video. smile.gif
post #1479 of 3506 Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Hey folks

My AE8000 has arrived, and I'm going to be using it 75% of the time for PC gaming, 25% for HD TV and Movie viewing. I chose the 8000 over the Epson TW9100 solely due to latency, as I could feel the delay on the Epson when playing first person shooters, my gaming genre of choice. As a longterm gamer who plays several hours each day I'm very sensitive to lag, and noticed the Epson's delay even with all of the processing disabled and set to fast. The 8000 didn't have this issue in the slightest.

Now that my 8000 is here, I've got a couple of questions.

1.) I love the responsiveness of the AE8000's game mode, but the image quality of this mode is absolutely horrible - it looks overbright and garish, and for some reason highlights aliasing in games (even though I'm running 4x Sparse Grid SuperSampling courtesy of my dual GTX 670s). I'd like to know how I can get the image quality of the other modes, with the low latency of game mode.
2.) When running digitised movies off my HTPC's hard drive, there is a very perceptible stutter/slow down every 20 or 30 seconds. It's a problem that didn't happen on my old AE4000 or the Epson when using the same PC, so it has to be the 8000. Any ideas? I've heard setting the refresh rate to 59Hz fixes the issue, but I'd rather stick with 60Hz if possible, which is better for games?

I will no doubt have more questions as I get intimate with my new toy, but these two are the most pressing concerns right now. I hope somebody can help, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post.
post #1480 of 3506 Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post

Anyone know of child size glasses compatible with the 8000? I see a bunch on eBay that are reasonable at ~$35 pair. I've contacted the seller and their repsonse was basically buy them if they dont work send them back LOL. just trying to save some hassle. The current regular panny ones (Mediums) keep falling off my little 3 year olds button nose. And she keeps asking to watch Monster Inc in 3D.

What a cool kid! smile.gif

The Xpand YOUniversal; size small is very small.

Might also add a glasses lanyard (like the ones sold for riding roller coasters) and snug it up on her head.
post #1481 of 3506 Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post

I posted something very similar, I didn't post pictures but I'm seeing similar results when connecting my AE8000u to my htpc. Things are just not sharp at all, problem is I did the checks most people say to do in the ATI CCC panel. For some reason the picture is blurry in the corners and the overall picture is not good unlike when watching blu-rays on via my PS3 everything looks crystal clear.

I'm using the following

1.) 1080p via 60hertz on the desktop resolution
2.) ATI CCC all image enhancing controls are turned off.
3.) ATI CCC Pixel Format is RGB 4:4:4 Full
4.) ATI CCC Scaling is turned off, and overscan is set to 0%.

List can go on and on, I'm starting to think the Panasonic AE8000 is not a very good projector to be used with a PC. My problem is there aren't any other projectors out there in my price range that are going to satisfy me. I like a very bright picture and I like watching 3d movies. I need it to be bright in 3d and 2d. I don't use a calibrated dim picture in 3d mode, i use normal on my glasses and dynamic on the picture. On 2d I like to use either Normal (which was semi-calibrated via the WOW disk) or Cinema 1.

Using a 125" 2.35:1 screen.

If anyone else has had these problems when trying to use a HTPC via an ATI video card please chime in.

I know I'm late but I would also like to say that I'm not having any problems with my 8000 with my Windows 7 AMD PC. I'm using the latest CCC and latest drivers. The desktop is sharp and playing a movie through XBMC is every bit as good as watching the physical blu ray. The only problem I'm having is small lipsync issues, but that's another story for another thread. lol.
post #1482 of 3506 Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

I know I'm late but I would also like to say that I'm not having any problems with my 8000 with my Windows 7 AMD PC. I'm using the latest CCC and latest drivers. The desktop is sharp and playing a movie through XBMC is every bit as good as watching the physical blu ray. The only problem I'm having is small lipsync issues, but that's another story for another thread. lol.

Are you using HDMI to the projector from the pc? Also what program are you using to play your videos? On your desktop you don't find the text blurry and hard to read from seating distance? I have a 125" screen and when sitting down, everything is kind of blurry (I don't wear glasses) especially the corners. I also have a pixelation type of effect going on as well when i move my mouse. Did you see any of this?

Did you change your sharpness and focus settings on your projector to different settings when using a pc?

Thanks
post #1483 of 3506 Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post

Are you using HDMI to the projector from the pc? Also what program are you using to play your videos? On your desktop you don't find the text blurry and hard to read from seating distance? I have a 125" screen and when sitting down, everything is kind of blurry (I don't wear glasses) especially the corners. I also have a pixelation type of effect going on as well when i move my mouse. Did you see any of this?

Did you change your sharpness and focus settings on your projector to different settings when using a pc?

Thanks
Hey, one other thing I just thought about. Have you turned on ClearType and have you run the wizard to adjust the type to your display (projector in your case)? Also, in your Windows Performance Options, do you have "Smooth edges of screen fonts" checked? Also, try using the opposite setting of your current "Use drop shadows..." to see if it makes a difference.

post #1484 of 3506 Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 AM

Liked: 21
Hi all,

I've recently finished my theater build and this projector is on my short list.

Details:

CIH set up: 2.35 - 138" wide 59" high Seymour AV screen
Complete light controlled room
Ceiling mounting projector about 20 feet from screen

I have read/skimmed through most all of this thread and am still confused about the auto zoom feature on the Panny. There seems to be some conflicting reports on whether or not you can mount the projector above the screen for this feature to work properly.

The center of the lens in my set up will be horizontally centered but will be around 4-5 inches above the top edge of the screen. I have read that using digital shift vs mechanical will allow you to do this??

Does anybody know FOR CERTAIN that the auto zoom feature will work when the lens is slightly above the screen?

Thanks in advance!
post #1485 of 3506 Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNovice View Post

Hey folks

My AE8000 has arrived, and I'm going to be using it 75% of the time for PC gaming, 25% for HD TV and Movie viewing. I chose the 8000 over the Epson TW9100 solely due to latency, as I could feel the delay on the Epson when playing first person shooters, my gaming genre of choice. As a longterm gamer who plays several hours each day I'm very sensitive to lag, and noticed the Epson's delay even with all of the processing disabled and set to fast. The 8000 didn't have this issue in the slightest.

Now that my 8000 is here, I've got a couple of questions.

1.) I love the responsiveness of the AE8000's game mode, but the image quality of this mode is absolutely horrible - it looks overbright and garish, and for some reason highlights aliasing in games (even though I'm running 4x Sparse Grid SuperSampling courtesy of my dual GTX 670s). I'd like to know how I can get the image quality of the other modes, with the low latency of game mode.
2.) When running digitised movies off my HTPC's hard drive, there is a very perceptible stutter/slow down every 20 or 30 seconds. It's a problem that didn't happen on my old AE4000 or the Epson when using the same PC, so it has to be the 8000. Any ideas? I've heard setting the refresh rate to 59Hz fixes the issue, but I'd rather stick with 60Hz if possible, which is better for games?

I will no doubt have more questions as I get intimate with my new toy, but these two are the most pressing concerns right now. I hope somebody can help, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post.

Anybody? Do I simply calibrate it the same way I'd calibrate other modes?
post #1486 of 3506 Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anybody? Do I simply calibrate it the same way I'd calibrate other modes?

On this projector, "Game" is just a Picture Mode preset. It (confusingly) has no effect on any settings affecting lag time.

Therefore, you are free to game using any of the other Picture Mode presets with no direct impact on lag time. For gaming, though, there are two settings which WILL affect lag time:

1) Picture > Advanced Menu > Frame Creation > Set this to OFF (this might be the source of the stutter you are experiencing)

2) Option > Frame Response > Set this to FAST

For gaming, you might try the NORMAL Picture Mode. It is bright but more natural than GAME, which will help illuminate the darker areas in an FPS.
fgsouza likes this.
post #1487 of 3506 Old 04-07-2013, 04:12 PM

Hello, guys:

I've been waiting for my PT-AE8000U for a long time, but it has arrived. As someone that only had non-Full HD displays, the first impression was amazing. eek.gif But, as I know it needs calibration, I decided to search a bit before asking questions here.

As I have seen on the thread, ColorHCFR is a great tool to use for calibration. But I couldn't find any solid instructions on how to use it, so I googled and found this thread from CurtPlame forum (I've never visited it before). Since I'm a newcomer to the calibration thing, the instructions on it seemed quite good (I read it all) and easy to follow, but I can't judge if they are valid. So, is there any better guide or this one is fine?

When reading the thread though, it came clear that I need to purchase a meter. Otherwise I won't be able to measure anything. The thread suggests a couple meters, but it seems that they are connected to products they offer. When it comes to suggestions that may be based on products sites offer, I'm a little bit skeptic. Are their suggestions trustable? Which meter should I use?

Depending on the meter suggested, I'll wait to order one (I may not find or it'll be expensive, in my country). My family is traveling to NY, and I might ask them to bring me one. To end my post, could anyone recommend me sites or stores (in NY, of course biggrin.gif) that offer meters? I did a quick search about it, but as I'm not familiar with the US market for this type of equipment, I might skip a good one.

Best regards,
mrfury
post #1488 of 3506 Old 04-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Thank you very much HMenke, very interesting to hear that game mode doesn't have any lag-impacting settings. That's great news, as I can calibrate one of my preferred modes instead.

Regarding the stuttering during video playback, I've found a solution - whenever running videos on my HTPC I have to set my display's refresh rate to 24Hz. For some reason 60Hz and 59Hz don't work, with the ugly stutter/slow-mo effect every 30 seconds. It wasn't like this with prior projectors, so I'm sure there's a better solution out there.
post #1489 of 3506 Old 04-07-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much HMenke, very interesting to hear that game mode doesn't have any lag-impacting settings. That's great news, as I can calibrate one of my preferred modes instead.

Regarding the stuttering during video playback, I've found a solution - whenever running videos on my HTPC I have to set my display's refresh rate to 24Hz. For some reason 60Hz and 59Hz don't work, with the ugly stutter/slow-mo effect every 30 seconds. It wasn't like this with prior projectors, so I'm sure there's a better solution out there.

I have seen that when running 60i/p content at 24p but not the reverse. Are you sure your video card is putting out 29.97Hz (60i) or 59.94Hz (60p)?
post #1490 of 3506 Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfury View Post

Hello, guys:

I've been waiting for my PT-AE8000U for a long time, but it has arrived. As someone that only had non-Full HD displays, the first impression was amazing. eek.gif But, as I know it needs calibration, I decided to search a bit before asking questions here.

As I have seen on the thread, ColorHCFR is a great tool to use for calibration. But I couldn't find any solid instructions on how to use it, so I googled and found this thread from CurtPlame forum (I've never visited it before). Since I'm a newcomer to the calibration thing, the instructions on it seemed quite good (I read it all) and easy to follow, but I can't judge if they are valid. So, is there any better guide or this one is fine?

When reading the thread though, it came clear that I need to purchase a meter. Otherwise I won't be able to measure anything. The thread suggests a couple meters, but it seems that they are connected to products they offer. When it comes to suggestions that may be based on products sites offer, I'm a little bit skeptic. Are their suggestions trustable? Which meter should I use?

Depending on the meter suggested, I'll wait to order one (I may not find or it'll be expensive, in my country). My family is traveling to NY, and I might ask them to bring me one. To end my post, could anyone recommend me sites or stores (in NY, of course biggrin.gif) that offer meters? I did a quick search about it, but as I'm not familiar with the US market for this type of equipment, I might skip a good one.

Best regards,
mrfury

The curtpalme instructions are good. Once you get into it, you realize that it takes a lot more words to describe it than it does to just do it.

I would recommend an EyeOne Display LT as your color sensor. Apparently, the internal sensor has a definite life expectancy, so if you can afford it...buy a new one.

I made a checklist for calibration for personal use. You might find it useful (attached). Calibration procedure checklist.xlsx 2323k .xlsx file
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Calibration procedure checklist.xlsx (2.27 MB, 49 views)
post #1491 of 3506 Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

In regards to lip sync, I also had a similar experience. After changing my 720 DLP projector to AE8000, I had lip sync issues with anything connected to AE8000; it is slight but I'm pretty sensitive to sync issues. I have an older HDMI cable though, so I'm not sure if that may have been the culprit. Anyways, changing my projector settings didn't fix the issue so I turned on my Pioneer VSX-1020 A/V receiver's "Auto Lip Delay", which didn't work. After that, I had to manually set the lip delay which was a trial & error process for me. Right now (with frame creation off) the delay on my receiver is set to "3.2 fr", and the lip sync looks spot on; I believe that's equivalent to 133.44 milliseconds. smile.gif
post #1492 of 3506 Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke View Post

The curtpalme instructions are good. Once you get into it, you realize that it takes a lot more words to describe it than it does to just do it.

I would recommend an EyeOne Display LT as your color sensor. Apparently, the internal sensor has a definite life expectancy, so if you can afford it...buy a new one.

I made a checklist for calibration for personal use. You might find it useful (attached).

I've been re-reading the guide and also your checklist, and I just started to see I might get a little headaches. But it's part of the process.

I checked the EyeOne Display LT, but seems that it's been discontinued. The other options I found were: ColorMunki Display and i1 Display PRO, the latter being a more advanced colorimeter. Their price difference is up to 80 dollars, ColorMunki being cheaper. I would go for the cheapest one, but as I'm calibrating an expensive projector and I want to give it a calibration up to it's value, should I consider buying the i1 PRO? Note: I need to consider that I might even don't know how to use the advanced features it offers.

There is a setback though: as I was reading that guide from Curl Palme forum, the topic started said that the ColorHCFR doesn't support the i1 Display PRO (aka Display 3). Do you know something about this?
Quote:
Post from Kal:
The Display 3 is a considerably better step up but it is not natively supported by ColorHCFR software. Some intrepid users have supposedly taken the software and modified it to make it work however from what I understand. I remember seeing threads about it over at AVSforum.com some time ago.

One last thing, did you use something similar to Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics test disc when calibrating your PT-AE8000U?

Best regards.
post #1493 of 3506 Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 173
The promotion is now $200 cash back, 2 free glasses and the 3yr warranty. 2599 seems the lowest from a authorized reseller. Can I ask pt-ae4000 owners that have had a chance to use their ae8000 for sometime now ... Are they pleased they upgraded?
post #1494 of 3506 Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 PM

... this is starting to get really tempting...
post #1495 of 3506 Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Liked: 12
Got my glasses today. Mailed out the rebate on Jan 31 so about nine weeks for those still waiting
post #1496 of 3506 Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

I have a question about 3D.

I watched The Hobbit last night and it looked great. However, some scenes the 3D looks great with no crosstalk, but then in the next scene I will notice some crosstalk. Is there any ideal settings to put the projector on to get this reduced? It is just a tad frustrating when something looks oh so crisp in one scene, then the next scene you see the crosstalk and get a blurry looking picture.

I've also noticed recently, when my screen is 100% black like when a disc is loading up, that I can see this one small white spot to the left center of my screen. If I look directly at it, it's hard to notice. But if I focus on elsewhere on the screen, I can make it out slightly. It's very very dull and dim but I can definitely notice it. My wife did not notice it and couldn't see it until I had to actually point it out to her, and now she can see it.

But it is only when the screen is like 100% black, so it doesn't show up at all really in any movies. There were a few scenes in Zero Dark Thirty where I did notice it though, but only because I was looking for it.
Update. So I found the time to watch The Hobbit on Sunday and will confirm purbeast comment. Some scenes the 3D looks great, but on the next scene I will notice some crosstalk. I really notice after a really good sharp scene the next would look blurrier. Trying different settings Mode 1 vs Mode 2 didn't change this. I think its the movie or the disc.I never remember other 3D disc being so inconsistent.

Like before focus is key. As for settings I don't think one will solve the inconsistency in this movie. That being said this movie had some of the very best three dimensional look especially when the director had you looking down from one platform to another! The family enjoyed this one and my wife commented "totally incredible" or some thing to that!
post #1497 of 3506 Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Hi guys

I'm thinking of getting this projector, along with a 120" screen

The projector distance (throw??) would be about 12 - 13 feet

We'll be seated 10 to 12 feet away from the screen

Anyone here with a fairly similar set up? How is it?

Thanks
post #1498 of 3506 Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblademan View Post

Hi guys

Thanks

That is pretty much the same configuration that I have at home. Mine is a 120" fixed frame with a 16:9 aspect ratio. I moved from a 51" 3D HDTV to the Panny 8000.

How is it? Fantastic!!!!

Yes, first time we watched a movie was like ............. holly crap!!!! I can see things now that I was missing before.......details on other stuff happening in movies that due to the size of the TV I wasn't able to see.

Have a look at my gallery, so you can have an idea about my setup.

Cheers!
post #1499 of 3506 Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfury View Post

I've been re-reading the guide and also your checklist, and I just started to see I might get a little headaches. But it's part of the process.

I checked the EyeOne Display LT, but seems that it's been discontinued. The other options I found were: ColorMunki Display and i1 Display PRO, the latter being a more advanced colorimeter. Their price difference is up to 80 dollars, ColorMunki being cheaper. I would go for the cheapest one, but as I'm calibrating an expensive projector and I want to give it a calibration up to it's value, should I consider buying the i1 PRO? Note: I need to consider that I might even don't know how to use the advanced features it offers.

There is a setback though: as I was reading that guide from Curl Palme forum, the topic started said that the ColorHCFR doesn't support the i1 Display PRO (aka Display 3). Do you know something about this?
One last thing, did you use something similar to Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics test disc when calibrating your PT-AE8000U?

Best regards.

Sorry I was away for a few days. I would try to find a Display 2 or Display LT in used or "Like New" condition on amazon or eBay. You might even get lucky and find one still new and unopened. Since Color HCFR is a hobbyist project, it may take some time for them to update support for newer sensors.

Yes, I did use DVE: HD Basics as the source for the 0-100 IRE window test patterns. You can also make an AVS HD 709 disk.
post #1500 of 3506 Old 04-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblademan View Post

Hi guys

Thanks
Are you talking a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen, or a 120" wide 2.35:1 screen? Using the calculator from projector people, your throw would be pretty tight for the 120" wide 2.35:1 screen. The throw range for that screen is 13'6" to 27'. Range for the 120" diagonal 16:9 screen is 11'9" to 23'6", so you should be fine there. Shouldn't have any problems with the seating distance. I'm 11' back from a 120" wide 2.35:1 screen, and the pic is fantastic!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page