Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30

I hope that's just one giant typo. I just got my 8000 last week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

I hope that's just one giant typo. I just got my 8000 last week...

I assume you are talking about the 1,000,000:1 contrast claim. That is just another BS number that a manufacturer is throwing out there. Even the author of the artical you linked to had this to say about that:

"1,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio

As per Epson TW6100 8100 9100 claims on CR it's a load of rubbish.

For starters most 3D glasses are capable of around 1,000:1 CR.

Rather than explain why all over again see our review on "Contrast Ratio".

It's just marketing hype so take such massive numbers with a grain of salt."

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 06-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I assume you are talking about the 1,000,000:1 contrast claim. That is just another BS number that a manufacturer is throwing out there. Even the author of the artical you linked to had this to say about that:

"1,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio

As per Epson TW6100 8100 9100 claims on CR it's a load of rubbish.

For starters most 3D glasses are capable of around 1,000:1 CR.

Rather than explain why all over again see our review on "Contrast Ratio".

It's just marketing hype so take such massive numbers with a grain of salt."

Haha, thanks. I assumed that much, but I was actually concerned with the 9000. I searched the net for weeks, concerning a possible refresh, but didn't see any information or news. Is this just the Australian version of the 8000? Searching Panasonic AE9000 yields zero results...
Old 06-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 10
I finally got around to setting up a hard wired connection and it solved all my gremlins. So I am keeping this beast and am officially a member of this club.

Is there any good wireless hdmi solutions out there?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 AM

Just got my PT AE8000u and tried it out of the box. One thing I noticed is the image being projected is not rectangular but somewhat like trapezoid in shape -both sides, left and right, are not perpendicular (the length of the upper portion of the image is longer than the lower portion of the image). This is more prominent if I zoom the image. Is this normal? Has anyone noticed the same thing when you first tested the unit?? I'm thinking of sending the unit back if this a sign of defect.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vking71 View Post

Just got my PT AE8000u and tried it out of the box. One thing I noticed is the image being projected is not rectangular but somewhat like trapezoid in shape -both sides, left and right, are not perpendicular (the length of the upper portion of the image is longer than the lower portion of the image). This is more prominent if I zoom the image. Is this normal? Has anyone noticed the same thing when you first tested the unit?? I'm thinking of sending the unit back if this a sign of defect.
My unit has the same issue. It's about 15' back from a 133" screen. Zooming in the image to the screen when the unit is directly centered on it has the left side about 2" off the top and bottom on the left side. So basically a trapezoid with the smaller side on the left.

I basically have to use the lens shift along with the unit rotated slightly to achieve a centered almost-rectangular image. I was wondering the same thing you're asking.

So the image, out of the box, looks similar to this before using lens shift and placement adjustment:

Old 06-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

My unit has the same issue. It's about 15' back from a 133" screen. Zooming in the image to the screen when the unit is directly centered on it has the left side about 2" off the top and bottom on the left side. So basically a trapezoid with the smaller side on the left.

I basically have to use the lens shift along with the unit rotated slightly to achieve a centered almost-rectangular image. I was wondering the same thing you're asking.

So the image, out of the box, looks similar to this before using lens shift and placement adjustment:

Do you notice any significant effect with the image quality after the lens shift modifications?
Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:

This is the result of the projector not being squared off. Where ever the light hits first, that end will look "small" you just need to adjust the projector angle before you start messing with the lens shift.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Do you notice any significant effect with the image quality after the lens shift modifications?
No I have not. The image is fantastic. I'd prefer to not have to use the lens shift of course, and I've tried what Stump909 mentioned, but was never able to get the angle where the image was squared away. Whatever that angle is, it would be way off center in my room. I don't have a dedicated room for this as I'm using my living room so I don't really have the room to move the projector that far off an angle.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

No I have not. The image is fantastic. I'd prefer to not have to use the lens shift of course, and I've tried what Stump909 mentioned, but was never able to get the angle where the image was squared away. Whatever that angle is, it would be way off center in my room. I don't have a dedicated room for this as I'm using my living room so I don't really have the room to move the projector that far off an angle.

Are you sure it's level side to side, front to back, and corner to corner? Any shift in those will produce the effect you're talking about.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

Are you sure it's level side to side, front to back, and corner to corner? Any shift in those will produce the effect you're talking about.
Well, as best as I could tell it is but I don't have any laser measuring tools. It sits on a stand behind the viewing area and it's definitely level. However, I'll give it another try this weekend. Panasonic suggested the same thing so I'll give it another try and see. I know the last time I was able to get it close to centered without the lens shifted, the projector was too far off to one side which didn't seem right to me.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So my brother in law has this projector and I was helping him with the lens position and we have our scope and widescreen settings perfected however when it does the auto switching the values in the position menu specifically the h position, v position, and keystone values do not change when different movies with different aspect ratios are playing. Why is that?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150 View Post

So my brother in law has this projector and I was helping him with the lens position and we have our scope and widescreen settings perfected however when it does the auto switching the values in the position menu specifically the h position, v position, and keystone values do not change when different movies with different aspect ratios are playing. Why is that?

Did you enable auto-switching?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 AM

Liked: 12
Enable auto switching as mentioned and also it takes a long time to switch to 235. The switch back is much quicker. There is a post in here somewhere where the time took was measured
Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I purchased a B-stock projector that was sealed with zero hours on the lamp in December and have only put about 120 hours on the lamp so far. Then I started running into troubles.

I have been having some problems with my projector losing focus everytime I turn the projector on and also focus issues when trying to pinpoint a sharp focus on the projector (before or after warmup). I've been having to set the focus everytime I use the damn thing, and everytime it changes aspect ratios. It was like the lens memory was no longer functioning. So I had my projector serviced and I called to check on the status of the repair and I was told it's going to cost $2400 to fix the projector. The lady on the phone said the lens unit went bad or something. I just thought it was funny that the projector itself can be had for these prices now and they were quoting the cost of repair basically as the price of the projector. I'm just glad I purchased the 1-year warranty from the company i purchased the B-stock from. I think they are going to be out $2400 and instead of getting the projector repaired it was just more reasonable to give me another B-Stock with 0 hours again. They are now going to just ship me another sealed B-Stock projector.

I'm wondering now if I should just test to see if it works ok and then sell on ebay or something and go with an Epson or even the Sony 50es. The Epson is more in my priceline, and I don't know if I want to keep this projector after the warranty runs out just in case it has a problem like the one I just sent back.

You guys have any opinions on what you would do in this situation? I hear the Epson has great customer service, I know there have been some problems with convergence and uniformity and things but they will overnight another projector to you everytime you have a problem.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Auto switching is enabled but the h position, v position, and keystone don't change when it auto switches.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2150 View Post

Auto switching is enabled but the h position, v position, and keystone don't change when it auto switches.

You need to use H-AREA POSITION and V-AREA POSTION in the LENS CONTROL. Sounds like you are using H-POSTION and V-Postion in the POSITION MENU. Only thing set in the LENS CONTROL are saved for the lens memory.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
So what's the consensus on the upcoming 9000 model that was just recently posted? I thought there would be a little bit more excitement or something. Heh. I've been watching these models roll out since the ae2000. One of these days I'll have one. wink.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 PM

Liked: 12
Wasnt that just the aussie version of the 8000?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravaasi View Post

Hello there everyone,

I just came to know about this thread and I have read almost all posts in last couple days. I am about to buy this projector. Today I found this review which is pretty damning but to be fair it's an old review. Can anyone comment if some of us has seen this "uniformity" issue with 8000 ?

http://hometheaterreview.com/panasonic-pt-ae8000u-3d-hd-front-projector-reviewed/

Specially on the 2nd page the reviewer mentions that uniformity issue.

Thanks much in advance !!

He's spot on. My PT-AE8000U has absolutely terrible color uniformity. Really green in the middle, and quite red in the top left. It distracts me in everything I watch, to the point where I don't even want to use my projector anymore. I really should get it taken care of, but my wife keeps watching Iron Chef on it... *sigh*
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

He's spot on. My PT-AE8000U has absolutely terrible color uniformity. Really green in the middle, and quite red in the top left. It distracts me in everything I watch, to the point where I don't even want to use my projector anymore. I really should get it taken care of, but my wife keeps watching Iron Chef on it... *sigh*

No doubt the uniformity issues may be true as members on here have experience of it, but what I find odd about the review is the claim that he fixed a 2-3 pixel misalignment but cannot remember how it was done (somewhere in the sub menu apparently).

The misalignment subject has been raised many times & most people seem convinced that the only fix involves a factory panel realignment or am I wrong
Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I had an issue with my 8000U too. There was a greenish haze moving rapidly back and forth during dark scenes. It would even be moving back and forth if there was no source connected. So i returned the projector and received replacement. The new one is perfect, really no faults. So it seems there may be a bad batch of these some where, i wonder if a correlation can be made via there serial numbers for good vs bad models.

I am very happy now that my picture is superb! i was upgrading from a mitsu HC900, so the difference was night and day.

Panasonic AE 8000U since 2013

Mitsu HC 900 since 2005 - retired

Old 06-16-2013, 07:53 AM

I should be receiving mine Wednesday. I am upgrading from AX200u.
I upgraded Blu ray player to the Panny bd500 from Panny bd350(I already saw a noticeable difference on the ax200u). I can't fathom on how much better it can be! Upgraded hdmi to monoprice 30' redmere also. Does anybody have a quick to do list when I first hook it up?

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
JTR Sealed Captivator S2, PE Titanic 1000 watt Sonotube
Panasonic PT-AE8000u Projector, Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-500
Carada 88" Projector Screen
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by kong View Post

I should be receiving mine Wednesday. I am upgrading from AX200u.
I upgraded Blu ray player to the Panny bd500 from Panny bd350(I already saw a noticeable difference on the ax200u). I can't fathom on how much better it can be! Upgraded hdmi to monoprice 30' redmere also. Does anybody have a quick to do list when I first hook it up?

Oh! I am extremely interested in what you think. I currently am using an AX200u and would like to upgrade from that to this projector.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM

I own my Panasonic PT-AE8000 for less than 6 months. When the screen is completely black, I started noticing two very faint blue hazed spot on the screen. I took a picture below with a low light camera

http://chabiss.net/images/Blue_Haze_Spot.jpg

I cleaned the lens on the outside and nothing helps. Now I'm wondering if I need to open my projector in order to clean the inside. Is this a signed that one of the polarized filter is starting to degrade? I'm kind of bumped out if this is the case because the project is brand new. Since the projector is still under warranty, should I just get it serviced?

-Charles
Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
without the arrows I'd completely overlook the spots in that image you posted. Does it affect normal viewing of videos? If its bothering you this much then , yes, exchange it.

My 8000 is only 4 months old, and I'm not going to start looking for blue spots on black screens. This reminds me of the dust blobs from the 2000AE PJ forum a few years back.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM

No it' not bothering me too much in normal viewing since the blue spot are so faint, you can only see them when the screen it totally black. That said, I was wondering if this is an actual defect of the polarized filter and if it's going to get worst over time?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabiss View Post

I own my Panasonic PT-AE8000 for less than 6 months. When the screen is completely black, I started noticing two very faint blue hazed spot on the screen. I took a picture below with a low light camera

http://chabiss.net/images/Blue_Haze_Spot.jpg

I cleaned the lens on the outside and nothing helps. Now I'm wondering if I need to open my projector in order to clean the inside. Is this a signed that one of the polarized filter is starting to degrade? I'm kind of bumped out if this is the case because the project is brand new. Since the projector is still under warranty, should I just get it serviced?

-Charles
Looks like a couple dust blobs. Check out the post for the 3000 model here:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=123351

I haven't opened the 8000 to see what the inside looks like, but I had to clean my older 4000 a couple times in the years I had it and those instructions were extremely helpful. I wound up getting this blower for the task:
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-HDE%C2%AE-Manual-Air-Blower/dp/B0009VTA2Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371510665&sr=8-3&keywords=super+blower+squeeze+duster

Old 06-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Oh! I am extremely interested in what you think. I currently am using an AX200u and would like to upgrade from that to this projector.

I upgraded from an AX100U and all I can say, it's a night and day difference. I've had it about a month now and probably put on about 100hrs and have not had any of the issues on this thread. I use a 10ft 2.35 screen and the lens memory/auto detect function is really impressive. All I can say, if you can affford it, go for it.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Received mine today! I only have 1 hour on a quick and dirty set-up. I watched the Panasonic 3D Blu ray demo disc that came with my Panny 350 several years ago. I'm also using the first generation 3D glasses from the Panny plasma 2 or 3 years ago? Picture set to normal, NO setting changes, glasses normal, I cannot believe on how great this looks!!! I won't get time to really check this out until the weekend. It was worth the upgrade!

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
JTR Sealed Captivator S2, PE Titanic 1000 watt Sonotube
Panasonic PT-AE8000u Projector, Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-500
Carada 88" Projector Screen

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector