Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 3627 Old 07-12-2013, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have about twenty hours on the projector. My wife nt to bed last night and left the projector on. When I went down today it was blinking the inputs with a blue screen due to the fact she shut everthing else off except the projector. I turned it off. Was probably on the blue/input screen twelve hours. So now I have 32 hours. Any damage from this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 3627 Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

The proof is in the pudding, billybobg. I used the ProjectorCentral.com Projection Calculator Pro as a guide to help me work out my design.The screen size, screen gain, distance from the screen, ambient light control, theater wall and ceiling color, picture mode, and bulb level all go into determining the picture quality from a brightness perspective. I have a 156" diagonal, unity gain scope screen in a cave environment. The projector is ceiling mounted 18'-5" from the screen. 2.35:1 movies projected in Cinema 2 mode and Eco bulb level are plenty bright, in my opinion. Picture quality overall looks good although I've detected a 2+ pixel misalignment and have less than perfect focus. I plan to have Panasonic realign my LCD panels, if possible, under warranty and check out the focus.

I called PP today. They told me that the throw distance I was using was within the specs and so I got a RA number and I'll be sending back the ceiling mount. I happy with picture and that, as you say, is the proof.

I think you're doing the right thing sending yours back for alignment. I couldn't detect any misalignment from my considerably longer thrown distance. Good luck.

Gonna crank up a movie today as I'm a furloughed Government employee who has too much time on my hands for the next couple of months. Problem is that I'll be hesitant to spend much on new disks.
post #1713 of 3627 Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatling View Post

Have about twenty hours on the projector. My wife nt to bed last night and left the projector on. When I went down today it was blinking the inputs with a blue screen due to the fact she shut everthing else off except the projector. I turned it off. Was probably on the blue/input screen twelve hours. So now I have 32 hours. Any damage from this?

I wouldn't think so. As long as it has proper cooling, and especially if you were in low lamp mode. A bulb that stays on is better than one powering on and off a couple times for the most part. This is true of most electroncs in fact.
post #1714 of 3627 Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kong View Post

Well I have 19 hours on unit. Watching The Call and there was plenty of scenes that I noticed a green hue in the top left and bottom right. It is under Normal mode. The picture is razor sharp under Normal, as I went through all the other picture modes it got really green, mixed red/red. Finally under 709 setting the black level evened out, I went back to the beginning of the movie and I lost the sharpness and the overall better settings under normal. Help forum members! I purchased from B&H.

I have the same exact thing going on. Top left bottom right, green hue especially in dark scenes. I've tried changing the picture settings but to no avail. Not sure what the problem is confused.gif Anyone else out there with this problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1715 of 3627 Old 07-13-2013, 02:59 AM

Azula,
I received my back up projector from B&H on Tuesday. Wednesday night I was finally able to set-up quick calibration using Disney disc. Immediately on any dark scene the issue was not present. I have not looked at the convergence on this unit, previous version had a slight issue. We watched Despicable Me, Gangster Squad, & Identity Thief and I have found no fault with the 7 hours on unit.

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
JTR Sealed Captivator S2, PE Titanic 1000 watt Sonotube
Panasonic PT-AE8000u Projector, Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-500
Carada 88" Projector Screen
post #1716 of 3627 Old 07-13-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:

Azula,
I received my back up projector from B&H on Tuesday. Wednesday night I was finally able to set-up quick calibration using Disney disc. Immediately on any dark scene the issue was not present. I have not looked at the convergence on this unit, previous version had a slight issue. We watched Despicable Me, Gangster Squad, & Identity Thief and I have found no fault with the 7 hours on unit.

Do you mind to post a couple of pics to have an idea on how the image looks now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1717 of 3627 Old 07-13-2013, 05:26 PM

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
post #1718 of 3627 Old 07-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
post #1719 of 3627 Old 07-13-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks a lot kong!

So, it seems like it is looking good. Right?

One more favor (sorry), could you please share a close-up pic of the "Lens" menu, the one showing the "Pattern Change"?

I mean, something similar to the one posted by "McGarnicle":

post #1720 of 3627 Old 07-13-2013, 06:08 PM

I shut down the projector before I read the posts. Trust me the convergence is perfect! I did look at the convergence with the lens option like the pics posted before when I started it up and saw no issue. Even in the white lettering on The Terminator Salvation screenshot there was no pixel misalignment. I got a keeper!

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
post #1721 of 3627 Old 07-13-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I shut down the projector before I read the posts. Trust me the convergence is perfect! I did look at the convergence with the lens option like the pics posted before when I started it up and saw no issue. Even in the white lettering on The Terminator Salvation screenshot there was no pixel misalignment. I got a keeper!

Glad to hear that and I trust you. This is my first projector and therefore, I don't have a trained eye to properly evaluate or detect issues (ignorance is a bliss.........tongue.gif) from the projector. Here are a couple of pics from the projector using REC709 mode:

post #1722 of 3627 Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok, so I contacted B&H and they replaced my projector with a new one, almost no questions asked. I sent them the pic i posted earlier and they issued an RMA immediately. So I got the new projector in and the convergence is MUCH better, but not perfect. its only maybe two or three pixels off. I can live with that. BUT I have a new issue. I seems like anything from a streaming source sutters on playback. it'll play maybe 30 seconds perfectly fine, then it'll stutter like slow motion for 5-10 seconds and then it catches back up. repeat.

It doesn't happen with cable, it doesn't happen with blu-ray. It stutters with streaming content on roku 2, roku 3, and xbox 360. games do not stutter. these same sources do not stutter on my Panasonic plasma, and I'm on 50/25 fios, so its not the internet. I've tried different cables, if its some kind of HDCP issue I've tried routing through a receiver, a splitter, a switch, and directly to the projector, same problem. strangely, an old roku HDX doesn't stutter at all. the biggest stutterer is VUDU, but it does it equally at any quality setting.

anyone have any ideas on what else to try? I'm about ready to throw it out and just get a ZT.
post #1723 of 3627 Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

Are you sure it's level side to side, front to back, and corner to corner? Any shift in those will produce the effect you're talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

Well, as best as I could tell it is but I don't have any laser measuring tools. It sits on a stand behind the viewing area and it's definitely level. However, I'll give it another try this weekend. Panasonic suggested the same thing so I'll give it another try and see. I know the last time I was able to get it close to centered without the lens shifted, the projector was too far off to one side which didn't seem right to me.
I finally got around to this as I had time this weekend to work on it. Turns out it was indeed just off center. I wound up shifting/sliding the platform about 6 inches to the right. I re-centered the lens with amazing results. The picture is now flush with the screen. You were right Stump909. smile.gif I'm really glad it didn't show an issue with the projector.

post #1724 of 3627 Old 07-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Hello Gurus,
This is my first post so please forgive my ignorance (if any).

Bought my PT-AE8000U in April but only started using heavily since June (summer break). Here is the strange thing happening for last couple of weeks, after couple of hours in to a movie, the projector just freezes either on a movie scene or just scrambled lines (Picture attached). At this point it does not respond to remote control (menu, change input or anything else). I have to reset the project and wait for sometime to get moving running back again. I have noticed this happening with paying Blu Ray disks mostly.

Here is the setup

PS3 ( or my HTPC with BD player) >>> 6 ft HDMI >>> Denon AVR-X4000 >>> 20 ft HDMI >>> PT-AE8000U

I have changed the 20 ft HDMI to see if that was handshake issue without any success. Changed the AVR with my older Onkyo 876 again same issue after couple of hours.

Called up Panasonic and as per them I should be using 8 feet or shorter HDMI [ or use booster ] which is kind of strange as I thought 20 ft is not really a long run.

All suggestions, guidance and help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Media Room --- > Denon AVR-X4000, Panasonic PT-AE8000U, Elite R135WH1 ezFrame
Definitive BP-8060ST x 2, CS-8060HD, SR-8040BP x 2, UIW BP/A x 2
PS3, Dish Joey, Raspberry Pi, Pogoplug ALARM

Family Room --- > Onkyo TX-SR876, Panasonic TC-P65V10
KEF KHT3005SE, Apple TV 3, WDTV Live Streaming Player,...
post #1725 of 3627 Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Hi,

Have had same problems with my AE200 and AT8000 with regard to managing to either get the vertical bars spot on or the horizontal bars spot on but, like you, never both at the same time.

Bob
post #1726 of 3627 Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

I finally got around to this as I had time this weekend to work on it. Turns out it was indeed just off center. I wound up shifting/sliding the platform about 6 inches to the right. I re-centered the lens with amazing results. The picture is now flush with the screen. You were right Stump909. smile.gif I'm really glad it didn't show an issue with the projector.

Good to hear. I know first-hand how hard finding time for these things can be. I've been catching glimpses of a colorshift in the top left of my screen, but have't had time to really delve into it. I hope my problem is just as correctable.
post #1727 of 3627 Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp111 View Post

Hello Gurus,

Bought my PT-AE8000U in April but only started using heavily since June (summer break). Here is the strange thing happening for last couple of weeks, after couple of hours in to a movie, the projector just freezes either on a movie scene or just scrambled lines (Picture attached). At this point it does not respond to remote control (menu, change input or anything else). I have to reset the project and wait for sometime to get moving running back again. I have noticed this happening with paying Blu Ray disks mostly.

Here is the setup

PS3 ( or my HTPC with BD player) >>> 6 ft HDMI >>> Denon AVR-X4000 >>> 20 ft HDMI >>> PT-AE8000U

I have changed the 20 ft HDMI to see if that was handshake issue without any success. Changed the AVR with my older Onkyo 876 again same issue after couple of hours.

Called up Panasonic and as per them I should be using 8 feet or shorter HDMI [ or use booster ] which is kind of strange as I thought 20 ft is not really a long run.

Thanks in advance
I have had this problem with my unit about 3 times since I got the unit in November. I have an Onkyo AVR. I can not recall if restarting the receiver or the projector fixed the problem but it was only temporary, so I never worried about it. By the way, my HDMI run is 50 feet without a booster and I have had no issues with the connection. Do you have another cable you can try with a switch? Is it good quality?
post #1728 of 3627 Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Hello Gurus,

Here is the setup

I have a 50-foot Redmere cable from my AVR to the projector and have never had this issue. Maybe start by connecting your Blu-ray player directly to the projector to rule out the player/cable combination. It may be your cable that's the problem. Are your cables high-speed category 2 cables? No audio of course, but it'll at least tell you if the issue is due to the cable(s). If you don't run into the issue with this test, then it points to the AVR as the culprit so maybe the AVR combination of input/output. Have you tried a different input on the AVR? If it has dual outputs, have you tried both of them? Another possibility is AVR processing for video. If any of it is on, turn it off and use pass-through. Again, to rule out certain aspects of the AVR. a lot of people like the GUI overlays the AVR adds to the video, but that means it has to process the video in order to add its UI, so you should lose the GUI for this test too. I think these will help you narrow the source of the problem. Good luck.

post #1729 of 3627 Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello Gurus,

I've used a 25ft. HDMI on my previous LG and on this Panny with no issues, ever. I purchased mine from Blue Jeans. Blue Jeans seams to be accurate when they give details on how well their cables perform over distance. I drive it out of an Onkyo receiver. Only caveat I have is that I haven't tried 3D yet, so the performance there is still to be evaluated.
post #1730 of 3627 Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnicle View Post

ok, so I contacted B&H and they replaced my projector with a new one, almost no questions asked. I sent them the pic i posted earlier and they issued an RMA immediately. So I got the new projector in and the convergence is MUCH better, but not perfect. its only maybe two or three pixels off. I can live with that. BUT I have a new issue. I seems like anything from a streaming source sutters on playback. it'll play maybe 30 seconds perfectly fine, then it'll stutter like slow motion for 5-10 seconds and then it catches back up. repeat.

It doesn't happen with cable, it doesn't happen with blu-ray. It stutters with streaming content on roku 2, roku 3, and xbox 360. games do not stutter. these same sources do not stutter on my Panasonic plasma, and I'm on 50/25 fios, so its not the internet. I've tried different cables, if its some kind of HDCP issue I've tried routing through a receiver, a splitter, a switch, and directly to the projector, same problem. strangely, an old roku HDX doesn't stutter at all. the biggest stutterer is VUDU, but it does it equally at any quality setting.

anyone have any ideas on what else to try? I'm about ready to throw it out and just get a ZT.

Turn off frame creation
post #1731 of 3627 Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 AM

oh its off. I can't stand that look. and it does it with frame processing at both normal and fast.
post #1732 of 3627 Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:

oh its off. I can't stand that look. and it does it with frame processing at both normal and fast.

Sounds like a bandwidth issue. You need to make sure the cable is High-speed rather than standard. Those usually max out at 25ft (22AWG). A monoprice redmere cable might be your best bet. They can maintain high-speed bandwidths over much longer runs, using thinner cables.
post #1733 of 3627 Old 07-17-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Hello Gurus,

Here is the setup

Thanks in advance

Most 20ft cables aren't high-speed rated. Panasonic is probably right. Check out monoprice's redmere cables.
post #1734 of 3627 Old 07-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Most 20ft cables aren't high-speed rated. Panasonic is probably right. Check out monoprice's redmere cables.

I purchased the monoprice 30' redmere hdmi cables and have had no issues.

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
post #1735 of 3627 Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to add another option to the mix. I'm using this cable with my Panny with excellent results (2D and 3D tested and no issues to report):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LJQM3Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #1736 of 3627 Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM

For those of you who are interested in the outcome of my convergence issue on my new AE8000U, I received word from Audio General that my projector has been repaired by Panasonic and shipped back to me. According to the message, the whole optical block assembly was replaced. I'm not sure what all that includes. Does anyone know? I assume it includes the lens. Does it also include the three LCD panels? I should receive the projector in a couple of days via UPS, exactly 1 week from when I shipped it to Panasonic. That's pretty good turnaround.
post #1737 of 3627 Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

For those of you who are interested in the outcome of my convergence issue on my new AE8000U, I received word from Audio General that my projector has been repaired by Panasonic and shipped back to me. According to the message, the whole optical block assembly was replaced. I'm not sure what all that includes. Does anyone know? I assume it includes the lens. Does it also include the three LCD panels? I should receive the projector in a couple of days via UPS, exactly 1 week from when I shipped it to Panasonic. That's pretty good turnaround.
I had a convergence issue and the optical assembly was replaced on the Projector. My understanding is that the entire optical unit including the 3 lcds was replaced. The projector works great now!
post #1738 of 3627 Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docretina View Post

I had a convergence issue and the optical assembly was replaced on the Projector. My understanding is that the entire optical unit including the 3 lcds was replaced. The projector works great now!

Yes, I found the service manual for the PT-AE8000 on line. It shows that the lens, the 3 LCDs, lens shift mechanism, and the iris make up the "optical block". There is no procedure in the service manual for aligning the LCDs to correct a convergence problem. I'm assuming that replacing the optical block is standard practice if LCD alignment is out of spec. What is out of spec? Not clear to me, but mine was off by between 2 and 3 pixels which was enough to declare the optical block defective. I hope the Panasonic techs checked out the replacement so that it will be spot on like yours, docretina.
post #1739 of 3627 Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a bandwidth issue. You need to make sure the cable is High-speed rather than standard. Those usually max out at 25ft (22AWG). A monoprice redmere cable might be your best bet. They can maintain high-speed bandwidths over much longer runs, using thinner cables.

I'm already using that cable, in the 25ft variety. the problem happens regardless of cable length. even if i connect the roku or 360 directly to the projector with a 3 foot cable.
post #1740 of 3627 Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm already using that cable, in the 25ft variety. the problem happens regardless of cable length. even if i connect the roku or 360 directly to the projector with a 3 foot cable.

Seems you've eliminated the cable and the sources as the issue. What's left is the projector. Call Panasonic back and return it for repair.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page