Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 3589 Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rabi View Post

Dear cr136124,

Thanks for the very quick reply. I appreciate it. Now I have a clear picture about how to go about it. I am very positive to go ahead with the 150 Inches diagonal, However i will buy the projector and project it on the wall and then decide as you have mentioned. Just one last question. Could you tell me what would be the length and breadth of a 150 Inches Diagonal 16:9 screen with 3.5 inches black borders running all around.

John

No problem. About your question: are you talking about the actual dimensions of the screen itself? If yes, then you will have to check with Elite Screens and/or the seller company. As I don't have that information........sorry!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 3589 Old 08-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

Anyone?

I don't think the pulsing is normal, I have my iris in use 99% of the time & it is virtually undetectable.
post #1803 of 3589 Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.woodhouse View Post

I don't think the pulsing is normal, I have my iris in use 99% of the time & it is virtually undetectable.

That's what I was thinking. I had dynamic iris enabled on the previous few BenQ W700's I owned and never saw anything like that. I understand that certain scenes or images will dim due to the iris but not completely changing skin tones and then going back to normal again. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't a known issue that owner's of the Panasonic 8000 have to live with before thinking my unit was defective. If anyone else has or hasn't experienced this with the dynamic iris, I would like to get your comments. Thanks

post #1804 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rabi View Post

Dear cr136124,

Thanks for the very quick reply. I appreciate it. Now I have a clear picture about how to go about it. I am very positive to go ahead with the 150 Inches diagonal, However i will buy the projector and project it on the wall and then decide as you have mentioned. Just one last question. Could you tell me what would be the length and breadth of a 150 Inches Diagonal 16:9 screen with 3.5 inches black borders running all around.

John

For a 16:9 screen the dimensions of a 150" diaganol screen would approximately be

74" Height / 131" Length without borders

81" Height / 138" Length / 160" diaganol with 3.5" (per side) borders
post #1805 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Dear Wittol,

Thanks for the details.

John
post #1806 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 AM

has anyone tried these glasses? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2651961&csid=_61 I'm looking to buy some for my projector and I'm a little unsure of exactly why I need. I know it was talked about previously somewhere in this thread but I'm having a hard time finding it. Thanks!
post #1807 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM

I have a 125 hours on my PannY 8000 now and am loving it.

I recently started attempting to calibrate it. The night before last we had a pretty sever storm and lost power for a very short time. Last night I go back to try and finish the calibration and all my previous settings were gone. Bright and Contrast were all at "0" as they were when I originally started. Is this normal?

Do I need a UPS to prevent it form losing power in order to retain my settings or did I miss a step for saving the settings that I am unaware of?
post #1808 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
About 200 hours on my 8000. Liking it less and less as time goes by. Green cast in the middle still obvious (gotten worse, I think), red cast in the top left still obvious (gotten worse). Can't wait to get rid of it, honestly. I'm done with Panasonic, and this is without doubt the last Panasonic projector I'll own. Very disappointed. Especially given it's such a bright, quiet projector with absolutely great 24p motion (better than the JVCs).
post #1809 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

About 200 hours on my 8000. Liking it less and less as time goes by. Green cast in the middle still obvious (gotten worse, I think), red cast in the top left still obvious (gotten worse). Can't wait to get rid of it, honestly. I'm done with Panasonic, and this is without doubt the last Panasonic projector I'll own. Very disappointed. Especially given it's such a bright, quiet projector with absolutely great 24p motion (better than the JVCs).

Have you ever found a projector you were happy with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1810 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Have you ever found a projector you were happy with?

Well..., my Panasonic PT-AE4000U had a color-cast problem, my PT-AE7000U had a color cast problem, and now my 8000U does, too. Apparently Panasonic uses crappy Epson leftover panels for their projectors, which is why Epson's own projectors don't have this issue.

Really, I just don't seem to have the best of luck with Panasonic projectors. I demoed a JVC X30/RS-45, and it had an extremely uniform picture. I wasn't super enthralled with the 3D (it was crap) or the 24p motion, but the sharpness and uniformity was in another league.

So, have I found a projector I was happy with? Considering I've only owned Panasonic projectors (you'd have thought I'd have learned my lesson by now...), - no, probably not. smile.gif

There's always next time, right?
post #1811 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey William!

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that your experience with this PJ hasn't been satisfactory. If you remember me, I pulled the trigger on this PJ a couple of days right after you did it. Actually, I used the same sales person at Projector People as you recommended me.

I'm at 495 horus on the lamp and in my case is the other way around..........I'm loving it more and more as time goes by. Did you contact PP or Panasonic for alternatives to have the issue resolved?

Once again, sorry to hear this.

post #1812 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Hey William!

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that your experience with this PJ hasn't been satisfactory. If you remember me, I pulled the trigger on this PJ a couple of days right after you did it. Actually, I used the same sales person at Projector People as you recommended me.

I'm at 495 horus on the lamp and in my case is the other way around..........I'm loving it more and more as time goes by. Did you contact PP or Panasonic for alternatives to have the issue resolved?

Once again, sorry to hear this.

Hehe of course I remember you! smile.gif

I haven't spoken to either PP or Panasonic about it. Honestly, the whole process is so exhausting... I might do, though. I just don't want to go through the rigmarole of sending projector back, having them damage something etc etc. I'll see how I feel at some point. I have a 3 year warranty on it, so it'll go in for repair/replacement I'd imagine sometime down the line.
post #1813 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hehe of course I remember you! smile.gif

I haven't spoken to either PP or Panasonic about it. Honestly, the whole process is so exhausting... I might do, though. I just don't want to go through the rigmarole of sending projector back, having them damage something etc etc. I'll see how I feel at some point. I have a 3 year warranty on it, so it'll go in for repair/replacement I'd imagine sometime down the line.

I know it is frustrating to deal with that process, but heck man. You paid for a fully functional PJ, so they have to fix it for you. I just cannot imagine having to see my PJ not performing as expected every time I want to use it. So, the sooner you start the claim process the better. Well, that is just me.

Bottom line, I really hope they resolve this issue to your entirely satisfaction and that somehow they win your trust/confidence again.

post #1814 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know it is frustrating to deal with that process, but heck man. You paid for a fully functional PJ, so they have to fix it for you. I just cannot imagine having to see my PJ not performing as expected every time I want to use it. So, the sooner you start the claim process the better. Well, that is just me.

Bottom line, I really hope they resolve this issue to your entirely satisfaction and that somehow they win your trust/confidence again.

Thanks for the support. I took a couple of pictures just now of my PT-AE8000, and what it does... I discovered that my color cast is far worse in REC709 (which is, unfortunately - the best picture setting according to... everyone).

So here's REC 709, default settings, Eco bulb:

And here's "Normal" picture mode, default settings, Eco bulb:

As you can see, "Normal" is WAY more uniform than "REC709," perhaps even within tolerances of uniformity. The major problem is that it's the completely wrong color profile to work with for calibration for movies/TV lol! It's also quite "green," and adjusting the color temperature just moves things back in line with REC709, which is... bad.

So... what to do, what to do...
post #1815 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the support. I took a couple of pictures just now of my PT-AE8000, and what it does... I discovered that my color cast is far worse in REC709 (which is, unfortunately - the best picture setting according to... everyone).

So here's REC 709, default settings, Eco bulb:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And here's "Normal" picture mode, default settings, Eco bulb:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
As you can see, "Normal" is WAY more uniform than "REC709," perhaps even within my tolerances...

So... what to do, what to do...

Ouch! That is indeed bad.

What to do? Share those pics with PP and Panasonic and let them handle this issue ASAP!!!!

post #1816 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 319
The 2 8000's I calibrated had a similar appearance during gray scale calibration. (30 and 80 IRE will be more obvious than 100). I don't think most would see it with real content, but I could see it with a movie like Art of Flight or some B&W movies.

The 5020's i've seen had better overall color uniformity, but LCD in general can't compete with SXRD or LCOS in this regard. The Sony's are very good and the JVC's are about as good as it gets for even white / gray field uniformity.

post #1817 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ouch! That is indeed bad.

What to do? Share those pics with PP and Panasonic and let them handle this issue ASAP!!!!

I know! I wasn't making it up. I figured what the heck, and sent on the pictures to Projector People. I'll see what they have to say, I suppose...

Either way, you can see why I'm not very happy...
post #1818 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The 2 8000's I calibrated had a similar appearance during gray scale calibration. (30 and 80 IRE will be more obvious than 100). I don't think most would see it with real content, but I could see it with a movie like Art of Flight or some B&W movies.

The 5020's i've seen had better overall color uniformity, but LCD in general can't compete with SXRD or LCOS in this regard. The Sony's are very good and the JVC's are about as good as it gets for even white / gray field uniformity.

Yep, the JVC X30 I had showed amazing uniformity. I was super impressed.

Unfortunately, I do see the uniformity issues with my 8000 under normal viewing conditions. Not ALL conditions, but "many" conditions. Night scenes are fine, but skin tones can be funky in the center (where it's greener), and it's always obvious that the left side/top-left side is always warmer than the rest of the image. It's pretty annoying. I know I'm picky, but this is a little out of control..

I tend to think that all Panasonic's home-cinema projectors have this issue to varying degrees. I imagine many are not sensitive to it, especially given my history with the Panasonic line and never once owning a "uniform" (within reason) projector.
post #1819 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know! I wasn't making it up. I figured what the heck, and sent on the pictures to Projector People. I'll see what they have to say, I suppose...

Either way, you can see why I'm not very happy...

Best of luck with that process. What the heck, what luck? You deserve this issue to be resolved.......pronto! You paid big bucks for this PJ. mad.gif

If you don't mind, please keep us posted on how everything is going.

post #1820 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I ended up keeping my 4000 based on WilliamG's experience with the 8000 !
post #1821 of 3589 Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I ended up keeping my 4000 based on WilliamG's experience with the 8000 !

Sorry. Don't mean to be a trouble-maker. frown.gif
post #1822 of 3589 Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Does anyone have the link to the advanced calibration settings someone posted within this thread awhile back?
post #1823 of 3589 Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Hey Zombie, I would like to get your opinion on what I'm experiencing with my PT8000. Did you or do you ever see pulsing in the colors when the dynamic iris is enabled?

post #1824 of 3589 Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 AM

I'm just starting to look into rs232 control for the 8000 and was hoping to test it out with a PC before I shell out the money for automation equipment. I have the commands from the manual and instructions to add STX and ETX to the beginning and end of the command, but I haven't been able to get a response from the projector yet through hyperterminal or termite. Has anyone here done this with a terminal emulator? I'd appreciate some tips, particularly a full example command screen to send from hyperterminal.
post #1825 of 3589 Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Black and white with my PT-AE8000U is laughably unwatchable. I cringe any time there's any black and white material onscreen. It looks... so green in the center of my picture, and stupidly red around the left/upper left. It's HILARIOUSLY bad.

Just got off the phone with Panasonic Projector Support. Looks like I'll be sending out my projector tomorrow to their service center. Just going to bite the bullet and get this thing repaired.
post #1826 of 3589 Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Black and white with my PT-AE8000U is laughably unwatchable. I cringe any time there's any black and white material onscreen. It looks... so green in the center of my picture, and stupidly red around the left/upper left. It's HILARIOUSLY bad.

Just got off the phone with Panasonic Projector Support. Looks like I'll be sending out my projector tomorrow to their service center. Just going to bite the bullet and get this thing repaired.

I thnk you just made up my mind for me for sure. Going with the Sony instead.
post #1827 of 3589 Old 08-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Has anyone tried watching Judge Dredd in 3D on this unit?

Some reviews describe it as reference quality blu ray 3D, but I have found the picture quality to be quite poor & can't resist trying to "tweak my 8000 to dial in a better picture during viewing.

I'm not sure if it is the DVD or limitations on the 8000 which is at fault. I don't want to turn this into a film review but I'm wondering if this unit displays some DVD,S better than others.
post #1828 of 3589 Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.woodhouse View Post

Has anyone tried watching Judge Dredd in 3D on this unit?

Some reviews describe it as reference quality blu ray 3D, but I have found the picture quality to be quite poor & can't resist trying to "tweak my 8000 to dial in a better picture during viewing.

I'm not sure if it is the DVD or limitations on the 8000 which is at fault. I don't want to turn this into a film review but I'm wondering if this unit displays some DVD,S better than others.

It is the 3D blurry disc! There is nothing wrong with your PJ. I noticed the same thing (poor image quality - noise) specially during low light / dark scenes.

post #1829 of 3589 Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I couldn't resist, and picked up the Sony VPL-HW30ES tonight.

Color uniformity and sharpness out of the box is in a different league from the Panasonic. Decisions, decisions...

Sony VPL-HW30ES:

And as a reminder, here's my Panasonic PT-AE8000U (lol) :

post #1830 of 3589 Old 08-08-2013, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Spent the evening watching TV on the Sony VPL-HW30ES. I'm truly blown away. I've owned Panasonic projectors for so long that I didn't think it was possible to have such a gorgeous, uniform image displayed on my screen. Very happy, so far.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page