Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Good to hear that man! It seems like the Sony is a keeper.

If you don't mind, please keep updating us (at least me - via PM is fine) on how Panasonic's CS handles this situation.

Once again congrats on the Sony!!!

Keep me in the loop too. Still going back and forth on Sony vs Panny. Cost is now an issue. Just spent $1500 on car repairs! Ouch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post

Keep me in the loop too. Still going back and forth on Sony vs Panny. Cost is now an issue. Just spent $1500 on car repairs! Ouch!

I think the worst thing I could have done was subscribe to all of these PJ owner threads for the past 4 or 5 months...I feel like I am just reading the negative about them (people reporting problems). I wish there were some "I'm an owner and I'm happy as hell" threads too. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I am on the fence BIG TIME between the EPSON 5020 and the Panny 8000. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Come on Fall price drops tongue.gif

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1893 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking at PT-AE8000U or the 9000U that will release sometime next year.
I have a questions regrading 2.35:1 Curved Screen.
Will the two projectors be able to project on a curved screen?
post #1894 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Come on Fall price drops tongue.gif

Remember some of the price drops also mean lost incentives. Right now the Panny has a rebate, glasses and 3rd year warranty added. Supposedly $550 in incentives. If they remove those and drop the price $500, while you might pick up glasses cheaper you don't gain a whole lot. But I guess it depends on your wants and needs too!
post #1895 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Remember some of the price drops also mean lost incentives. Right now the Panny has a rebate, glasses and 3rd year warranty added. Supposedly $550 in incentives. If they remove those and drop the price $500, while you might pick up glasses cheaper you don't gain a whole lot. But I guess it depends on your wants and needs too!

Don't see why price drops and incentives have to be mutually exclusive. Have they done this in the past?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1896 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Good to hear that man! It seems like the Sony is a keeper.

If you don't mind, please keep updating us (at least me - via PM is fine) on how Panasonic's CS handles this situation.

Once again congrats on the Sony!!!

Quote:

Will definitely give you full details. biggrin.gif

Right now the PT-AE8000U is in transit, due for delivery on Tuesday at the repair center! Will update when I know something. smile.gif
post #1897 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:

GREAT POINT. The 5020 comes with 2 sets of glasses but no rebate and no 3rd year warranty.

Is it realistic to think that manufacturers could drop these by $500? If that is the case, I may just have to wait.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

post #1898 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Ahhh... I cannot win. biggrin.gif

This is copied from the Sony VPL-HW30ES thread, and posted here for those interested in a 3D comparison between that projector and the PT-AE8000U:

1.) First, and most importantly, 240hz is not enough for 3D. The HW30 falls completely flat on its face with regards picture flickering. The Panasonic PT-AE8000U at 480hz is just much, MUCH more comfortable on the eyes to watch 3D content.

2.) The Playstation 3D glasses are not very comfortable, and also introduce a yellow tinge to the image, which is not fun.

3.) The viewing angles of the Playstation 3D glasses are awful. The right side of my screen is pink tinged, and the left side is green tinged. I shifted around on my sofa, and could change those colors just by moving around! CRAZY! Taking the glasses off - the picture was perfect (albeit blurry, of course!)

4.) The 3D depth isn't as good as the Panasonic, and the motion isn't as good because of the refresh rate.

That said, what you DO get is much, MUCH better crosstalk control. It's not even close. Sony wins here.

I just wish the HW30 were 480hz... I think I'd be really, REALLY happy with 3D on the HW30 if it were 480hz!

Bottom line: No projector is perfect. smile.gif

But.... I might prefer the flickering (maybe...) to the outrageous Panasonic crosstalk:

My Panasonic PT-AE8000U, at the end of Transformers 3. The Sony has no issues with this scene.

post #1899 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the projector situation is a mess, at any price point.... You can't get a non-LCD 480hz projector, so 3D immediately suffers on non-Epson/Panasonic projectors!

The PT-AE8000U suffers to "some" degree from noticeable (to me) color uniformity issues. However, it does 480hz 3D which does a pretty good job at providing minimal flicker during 3D content. 960hz would be even better, and 1920hz 3D content would be... well... I have no idea. Awesome?

The Sony VPL-HW30ES provides a noticeably more uniform image, a noticeably sharper image, and excellent input lag (much like the Panasonic). However, it only does 240hz 3D, which does a pretty good job at flickering the whole damn time! Crosstalk is at a minimum, though. I suspect Sony tested their 3D implementation much more than Panasonic did. Sony, like Epson, locks out a LOT of settings in 3D mode, and also locks the lamp to "High" when in 3D. I suspect, like Epson, Sony is trying to maintain a range of temperatures that reduce crosstalk by locking out settings that might adversely affect image quality. Panasonic gives you free reign of every setting, for better (and sadly - much worse).

So, a list of pluses and minuses, if anyone still cares:

Panasonic PT-AE8000U:

+ Very quiet low-lamp mode
+ Great input lag for a pretty decent gaming experience
+ Very bright 2D
+ Decent contrast and out-of-the-box colors in REC709
+ Built in 3D emitter
+ Reasonably-priced 3D glasses (as of August 2013)
+ 3 HDMI ports, placed at the back of the unit
+ 480hz 3D for (mostly) flicker-free 3D
+ No screen-door effect
+ Excellent 24p playback, with brilliant motion (frame creation off)

- Very unstable 3D image depending on picture settings, causing crosstalk
- High-pitched sound from the front of the projector. This is the same sound as the PT-AE7000U, and depending where you sit, you may or may not hear it. This is subjective
- Very variable color uniformity. This will manifest as pink or green areas of your image. Some picture modes exacerbate or lessen the effect. Some projector samples are excellent, and some are poor. My PT-AE8000U got noticeably worse over the 185 hours of use before I sent it in
- Noisier "high" lamp mode than the PT-AE7000U, and noisier than the Sony VPL-HW30ES in either low/high lamp modes
- Uneven sharpness (varies from unit to unit)
- Can still suffer from dust blobs due to a non-sealed light path (from what I read, though this hasn't been reported anywhere near as much as with the PT-AE4000U, which my unit suffered from dust blobs, too)

Sony VPL-HW30ES

+ Very quiet low-lamp mode, and a pretty quiet high-lamp mode
+ Very bright, despite an "apparent" lumen deficiency versus the Panasonic
+ Excellent input lag for a very decent gaming experience (for most people). The super hardcore (myself included) can tell the difference between it and a gaming LCD monitor, but still, this is great stuff
+ No screen-door effect
+ Excellent color uniformity (not perfect, but in a different league to the Panasonic)
+ Very minimal crosstalk, and a generally more stable 3D image at all times, in all picture modes
+ Very, very sharp (varies from unit to unit). My sample has been sharper than any Panasonic projector I've owned (a PT-AE4000U, two PT-AE7000U, and one PT-AE8000U)
+ Sealed light path
+ 3-year warranty without sending in any rebate nonsense

- Slightly brighter corners (fairly typical of SXRD technology, and only noticeable on a completely black image - top right corner for me)
- 240hz 3D has more flicker than 480hz 3D, - noticeably so
- 3D emitter not included
- All ports on the left side of the projector (when facing the lens). This can be ugly, depending on where your projector is located

Overall, both are potentially very good projectors. A lot of it will depend on how picky you are, absolutely. If you want to be "guaranteed" good uniformity in terms of color, go with SXRD. This is indisputable. It's not going to be "perfect," but it will be closer to "perfect" than with any LCD projector. With the Sony VPL-HW30ES being much closer in price to the Panasonic PT-AE8000U than ever before, it certainly is starting to make more sense to cross-shop them both.

I think the interesting thing is that the Sony VPL-HW30ES was released over 2 years ago, and it easily holds its own against the Panasonic PT-AE8000U. Let's not forget, the Sony came out when Panasonic was still on the PT-AE4000U. How crazy is that?

For me, I've just not had good luck with Panasonic. I've had four Panasonic projectors. All four have suffered from poor uniformity, and the PT-AE7000U and PT-AE8000U have both had unreliable 3D crosstalk, varying greatly throughout a movie. It's likely time to move on, and I'm sure Panasonic will breathe a heavy, heavy sigh of relief. I know I've been a thorn in their side. It will be interesting to see what my PT-AE8000U looks like when it comes back from the repair center...

Anyway, just wanted to get some thoughts down. Feel free to flame away and tell me how wrong I am. biggrin.gif
post #1900 of 3627 Old 08-16-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3001 View Post

I am looking at PT-AE8000U or the 9000U that will release sometime next year.
I have a questions regrading 2.35:1 Curved Screen.
Will the two projectors be able to project on a curved screen?

Is there confirmation that a 9000U will be released next year?

Does anyone have information about when price drops usually happen. the current deal for the panny 8000 is until the end of september.

post #1901 of 3627 Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #1902 of 3627 Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Anyone?

Just wait till CEDIA. Panasonic, if they're going to announce a PT-AE8000U successor, will likely do so then.
post #1903 of 3627 Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

How long after an announcement will prices of previous models decrease?

post #1904 of 3627 Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

- Very unstable 3D image depending on picture settings, causing crosstalk
- High-pitched sound from the front of the projector. This is the same sound as the PT-AE7000U, and depending where you sit, you may or may not hear it. This is subjective
- Very variable color uniformity. This will manifest as pink or green areas of your image. Some picture modes exacerbate or lessen the effect. Some projector samples are excellent, and some are poor. My PT-AE8000U got noticeably worse over the 185 hours of use before I sent it in
- Noisier "high" lamp mode than the PT-AE7000U, and noisier than the Sony VPL-HW30ES in either low/high lamp modes
- Uneven sharpness (varies from unit to unit)
- Can still suffer from dust blobs due to a non-sealed light path (from what I read, though this hasn't been reported anywhere near as much as with the PT-AE4000U, which my unit suffered from dust blobs, too)

I suffer from NONE of the negatives that you list (above). My projector is right over our heads when viewing and in non eco mode you can hear it during quieter parts of the movie but other wise you never even realize it's there.

Watched "Brave" tonight in 3D. There was no crosstalk whatsoever. Now to be fair have not watched a non animated movie in 3D yet but the animated ones have been great. For me 3D is not at all unstable.

Watched "Top Gun" yesterday at might wife's suggestion at it was awesome. An audio visual experience. Same with "Phantom of the Opera". I literally can't get over how awesome this projector is.

Every other component in my system is a Sony. I love Sony but I am so glad I bought the Panasonic. I believe you might just have an axe to grind with Panasonic and after 4 troublesome projectors in a row from them you have a right to be critical. I am still hoping, for your sake, that Panasonic returns a projector that you will enjoy as much as I do. Please do continue to keep us posted.
post #1905 of 3627 Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittol View Post

I suffer from NONE of the negatives that you list (above). My projector is right over our heads when viewing and in non eco mode you can hear it during quieter parts of the movie but other wise you never even realize it's there.

Watched "Brave" tonight in 3D. There was no crosstalk whatsoever. Now to be fair have not watched a non animated movie in 3D yet but the animated ones have been great. For me 3D is not at all unstable.

Watched "Top Gun" yesterday at might wife's suggestion at it was awesome. An audio visual experience. Same with "Phantom of the Opera". I literally can't get over how awesome this projector is.

Every other component in my system is a Sony. I love Sony but I am so glad I bought the Panasonic. I believe you might just have an axe to grind with Panasonic and after 4 troublesome projectors in a row from them you have a right to be critical. I am still hoping, for your sake, that Panasonic returns a projector that you will enjoy as much as I do. Please do continue to keep us posted.

I do have somewhat of an axe to grind with Panasonic, but I'm fairly objective when it comes to the positives and negatives of the Panasonics.

First, ALL PT-AE7000U and 8000U have a high-pitched sound which you can hear from the front of the projector when it's on. They all do. Like I said, whether the individual hears it is PURELY subjective. But it's there. I did say this noise is not noticeable depending on where you sit. People who sit in front of the projector will notice it more. If the projector is above your head, you won't hear it. Stand in front of the lens, and you'll notice it (or not, like I said. Some people aren't susceptible to noticing high-pitched sounds, especially as they get older).

Second, I can prove - even to you (I say that with love) that the Panasonic's 3D implementation is absolutely flawed. Do this test for yourself:

Pause a 3D movie at any point, go into your projector's options and turn on "High Altitude" mode. All that does is turn the fan on a little louder so the lamp doesn't overheat. Watch your image for about... oh... 30 seconds or so. See the crosstalk getting worse and worse and worse? That's the problem with the Panasonic. It has absolutely awful thermal management (that's the going theory from me and wgf_bean - another forum member here). He and I spent MANY hours testing these theories). After you turn off "High Altitude" mode, the crosstalk will stabilize and disappear over a period of time - several minutes as I recall.

No projector is perfect. Not even my new Sony. But so many things are subjective, so nobody is right, and everybody is right. Heck, I'm not thrilled by the 240hz flicker from the Sony HW30ES compared to the superior 480hz 3D on the Panasonic, yet some people swear up and down in the Sony thread that there's no flicker at all. Who's right? We all are, of course.

I'm glad you enjoy the Panasonic. I truly am. I think Panasonic are VERY close to getting it right, but they've been getting it wrong since the PT-AE4000U. Heck, maybe even before then. The 4000 was my introduction to Panasonic, so all I have to go on is the 4000, 7000, and 8000.

Regarding my color uniformity issues, I know that this varies from unit to unit, but I know also that some people just don't notice. Here's a review of the projector...

http://hometheaterreview.com/panasonic-pt-ae8000u-3d-hd-front-projector-reviewed/

Note the following paragraph:

"When we finished setting the white point, thus improving upon the AE8000U's out of the box grayscale performance, we noticed a definite uniformity issue when viewing a standard contrast pattern. While you don't typically watch test patterns, it did come as some surprise to see such a noticeable shift in the AE8000U's uniformity, shifting red in the upper and bottom corners, while skewing green through the middle. To make sure we weren't seeing things, we took measurements at both the center of the screen and the upper right-hand corner, and came away with dramatically different XY coordinates for each."

And...

"During several close-ups, the AE8000U's uniformity woes became readily apparent. Highlights such as those found along an actor's hairline had a decidedly different hue than those found on his or her face. While one might assume this was due to mismatched studio lights, it was not, for the shots in question were filmed outside, under natural lighting conditions and the shift in color was not natural, but instead consistent with my earlier findings. The top third of the image was pulling towards red, whereas the center was pulling towards green. This mean that, in one particular shot, John Cusack's white button-down shirt appeared both slightly red and green at the same time. That's bad. The color skew was not just relegated to the whites, as anything that rested mid-screen skewed ever so subtly green. For example, the already green tree line of Yellowstone looked positively teal when resting mid-frame. This concerned me so much that I thought perhaps I had a bad unit. However, a few calls to some calibrator friends of mine, specifically one Michael Chen, revealed the uniformity issue is a known problem that has plagued certain Panasonic projectors for years. Wait, what?"

"Supposedly the Epson-sourced LCD panels that Panasonic buys are not of the same quality that Epson chooses to keep and use in their own products. Whether this means that Epson is giving Panasonic faulty chips is open to debate. Suffice to say, the Panny has some issues. Now, I'm not suggesting that the problem is so bad that it appears as if there is a solid pink line and a solid green one splitting the screen; the shift is very subtle and most noticeable in the white values. Some may look past it or not even notice it at all, but nevertheless, it is present and is measurable, as well as visible to the naked eye. Furthermore, changing the image preset does little if anything to curb the error."

Notice this is EXACTLY the color uniformity issues my Panasonics have experienced. Exactly the same colors in exactly the same locations. And when a reviewer dedicates most of the review to a color uniformity issue, that's pretty terrible if you ask me...

I find it fascinating that Panasonic hasn't addressed this issue that's been going on for years and years. I can only think it's because not enough people notice it or care enough. I can't blame them. As I've stated many times, I WISH sometimes that I were not so picky. But I am. To quote Shakespeare: Sucks to be me.
post #1906 of 3627 Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Second, I can prove - even to you (I say that with love) that the Panasonic's 3D implementation is absolutely flawed. Do this test for yourself:

Pause a 3D movie at any point, go into your projector's options and turn on "High Altitude" mode. All that does is turn the fan on a little louder so the lamp doesn't overheat. Watch your image for about... oh... 30 seconds or so. See the crosstalk getting worse and worse and worse? That's the problem with the Panasonic. It has absolutely awful thermal management (that's the going theory from me and wgf_bean - another forum member here). He and I spent MANY hours testing these theories). After you turn off "High Altitude" mode, the crosstalk will stabilize and disappear over a period of time - several minutes as I recall.
I completely agree here. Amount of crosstalk depends on room temperature, time the projector was on etc. It is quite unpredictable. And yes, crosstalk is quite bad on this projector even when temperature is right. It is less visible in movies, but it is very visible in games.
post #1907 of 3627 Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtial77 View Post

I completely agree here. Amount of crosstalk depends on room temperature, time the projector was on etc. It is quite unpredictable. And yes, crosstalk is quite bad on this projector even when temperature is right. It is less visible in movies, but it is very visible in games.
Ditto on the crosstalk. I'm really disappointed in how bad it ca be. It's especially noticeable, and makes a movie un-watchable, when the glasses are in light mode. I can't see how anyone can watch in Dark mode and normal is still too dark for me in spite of the projector's brightness. I find it much more noticeable on animated films due to the "hard edges" that become clearly visible and on titles. So not too happy with 3D mainly due to crosstalk and darker image, but absolutely thrilled with how awesome this thing is in 2D.

post #1908 of 3627 Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

Ditto on the crosstalk. I'm really disappointed in how bad it ca be. It's especially noticeable, and makes a movie un-watchable, when the glasses are in light mode. I can't see how anyone can watch in Dark mode and normal is still too dark for me in spite of the projector's brightness. I find it much more noticeable on animated films due to the "hard edges" that become clearly visible and on titles. So not too happy with 3D mainly due to crosstalk and darker image, but absolutely thrilled with how awesome this thing is in 2D.

I'm very surprised when I read continuous comments about crosstalk in 3D. I've put about a 100 hours on my Panny 8000 now and only saw a little bit of crosstalk at the very beginning. Once I went into the 3D menu and chose 3D adjustment, it was about 98% gone. I have yet to notice it again when watching any Blu-ray or Direct TV channel in 3D. I did however notice just a quick glimpse of crosstalk when playing Motorstorm in 3D on my PS3. It happened on once quick scene and never showed up again. Which really surprised me because pretty much all LCD's or LCD Projectors have issues with crosstalk on 60hz gaming. I'm just confused as to how different some of our 3d experiences are. I have my Frame Creation on 3, 3D Motion Remaster on, and did some adjusting in the 3D adjustment menu. It took a little playing around with to get it right, but once I did, wow. Very shocked. As good as the BenQ W7000 I just came from. I'm also using the Sony PS3 Glasses. Has anyone actually made any changes in their 3D adjust menu??? Also, does crosstalk get worse over time on this projector?? Seeing as I only have around 100 hours, I didn't know if it will get worse. Are some of you guys experiencing crosstalk now that they've put some hours on it but didn't see much when the first go it?

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm sending mine back. I still have color pulsing with the DI enabled in 2D content. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to bother me. And, when the wife notices, it's definitely bad. Lol. I'll be calling AVS to see what kind of pricing they have for the HW50. If it's good enough, I might have to shell out a little bit extra and go with that.

post #1909 of 3627 Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 24
Yeah, I don't know about the crosstalk stuff. It's gotta be really subjective or something.

I rarely see any crosstalk during movies and I play 3D on dynamic color mode, with lamp on normal, glasses on light, and fan on high-altitude. I also use Frame creation mode1 so I can use 3D motion remaster.

None of my guests have really noticed crosstalk when I asked them either. It's not perfect and completely nonexistant, sure. But from what I'm seeing, 3D looks about as good as what I experience in commercial theaters like AMC and Marcus and looks perfectly watchable and enjoyable.
post #1910 of 3627 Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm sending mine back. I still have color pulsing with the DI enabled in 2D content. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to bother me. And, when the wife notices, it's definitely bad. Lol. I'll be calling AVS to see what kind of pricing they have for the HW50. If it's good enough, I might have to shell out a little bit extra and go with that.

If you do send yours back, and have a backup or can go without - its just 1 more month until CEDIA. If the Sony 50 drops to the Sony 30 "position", that may cement my decision... Otherwise, I want to see what Panny has lined up for the 9000 (and if its not impressive enough, I'll get the 8000 even cheaper than it is today; the rebate, warranty extension & 2 free glasses is good thru end of Sept, so after CEDIA).

Glen

Whatever is not nailed down, is mine.
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!

post #1911 of 3627 Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Graham View Post

If you do send yours back, and have a backup or can go without - its just 1 more month until CEDIA. If the Sony 50 drops to the Sony 30 "position", that may cement my decision... Otherwise, I want to see what Panny has lined up for the 9000 (and if its not impressive enough, I'll get the 8000 even cheaper than it is today; the rebate, warranty extension & 2 free glasses is good thru end of Sept, so after CEDIA).

Good point. I think that's what I'll end up doing.

post #1912 of 3627 Old 08-20-2013, 01:21 AM

Hello everybody!

I just bought a Panasonic PT-AT6000E here in Germany and it should be similar to the 8000U.

I'm very pleased with the picture quality. Before I had a Pana 4000. Especially the improved brightness and black level performance are far better than my old pj.

I still have a few questions left, maybe you could help me. In 2D I use the REC 709 mode. In 3D I use the Cinema 2 mode for better brightness. Or do you prefer the brighter Dynamic mode? But I think I changed some settings (modes 1-3) at the 3D viewing Monitor. Does anybody know how I can reset them? I would also like to know what I have to chose at the eyewear settings, dark, normal or light?
I use the original Pana TY-EW3D3M glasses. Blu-ray Player is a Pana BDT110. After a few tests (Avengers, Tron Legacy) I think I saw some ghosting. Maybe I adjusted something in the 3D settings.

Is it possible that the Lens Memory auto detect and blanking function doesnt work in 3D?

I would be glad if anybody could help me on this!
post #1913 of 3627 Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Quaid View Post

Hello everybody!

I just bought a Panasonic PT-AT6000E here in Germany and it should be similar to the 8000U.

I'm very pleased with the picture quality. Before I had a Pana 4000. Especially the improved brightness and black level performance are far better than my old pj.

I still have a few questions left, maybe you could help me. In 2D I use the REC 709 mode. In 3D I use the Cinema 2 mode for better brightness. Or do you prefer the brighter Dynamic mode? But I think I changed some settings (modes 1-3) at the 3D viewing Monitor. Does anybody know how I can reset them? I would also like to know what I have to chose at the eyewear settings, dark, normal or light?
I use the original Pana TY-EW3D3M glasses. Blu-ray Player is a Pana BDT110. After a few tests (Avengers, Tron Legacy) I think I saw some ghosting. Maybe I adjusted something in the 3D settings.

Is it possible that the Lens Memory auto detect and blanking function doesnt work in 3D?

I would be glad if anybody could help me on this!

I haven't used lens memory or blanking functions in 3D, so I'll defer that question to someone else.

As far as I recall (my projector is in for repairs), the only settings that you're likely to have messed with are the 3D parallax settings, which - in my experience, are pointless. Leave them alone. What you fix for one scene will then be broken in another scene, depending on the depth of the image.

See page 33 and 37 on the manual. To reset your settings, just hit "Default" on the remote.

Cinema 1 is the setting I preferred for 3D, but if you want more brightness, use whichever mode you find appropriate. Dynamic bumps the brightness at the expense of color reproduction, so I don't advise using Dynamic.

For the glasses, dark, normal and light are just settings with which to reduce crosstalk. Light will show the most crosstalk, then normal, and dark will show the least. So use whichever setting works best for you.

If you still see crosstalk with the settings dialed in, welcome to my world. smile.gif
post #1914 of 3627 Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

I'm very surprised when I read continuous comments about crosstalk in 3D. I've put about a 100 hours on my Panny 8000 now and only saw a little bit of crosstalk at the very beginning. Once I went into the 3D menu and chose 3D adjustment, it was about 98% gone. I have yet to notice it again when watching any Blu-ray or Direct TV channel in 3D. I did however notice just a quick glimpse of crosstalk when playing Motorstorm in 3D on my PS3. It happened on once quick scene and never showed up again. Which really surprised me because pretty much all LCD's or LCD Projectors have issues with crosstalk on 60hz gaming. I'm just confused as to how different some of our 3d experiences are. I have my Frame Creation on 3, 3D Motion Remaster on, and did some adjusting in the 3D adjustment menu. It took a little playing around with to get it right, but once I did, wow. Very shocked. As good as the BenQ W7000 I just came from. I'm also using the Sony PS3 Glasses. Has anyone actually made any changes in their 3D adjust menu??? Also, does crosstalk get worse over time on this projector?? Seeing as I only have around 100 hours, I didn't know if it will get worse. Are some of you guys experiencing crosstalk now that they've put some hours on it but didn't see much when the first go it?

I'm glad to hear it's not an issue for you and yes, it does also depend on how sensitive you are to these types of things. I'm pretty sensitive to noticing stuff like that and it drives me nuts. All I can comment on is what I am seeing (which I wish I wasn't in this case wink.gif ). I'll have to try and take a picture of it when I have time. It'll be interesting to see if I can at least grab a left or right image by putting the glasses over my camera's lens. I wish I could watch in Lighter mode but it's just too "invasive" especially in animations because they're so bright and crystal clear. Live action doesn't suffer as much but the titles still do and so do objects/people when in front of a high contrasting background, like a plane against a clear blue sky.

I've made many changes to every setting I can think of and the only thing that helps is to use Normal or Darker. The irony is, if I use 2D->3D, one of the modes, I think 3 or 4, almost completely removes crosstalk but the depth of the 3D image is reduced quite a bit. I don't use 2D->3D but I had to try to see how crosstalk showed up there.

BTW, I'm around 80 hours right now and have not had any of the other issues folks have reported (knock on wood). If dealing with the crosstalk means a super 2D experience, then I'll take it. I mostly watch 2D movies anyway and actually not a huge fan of 3D. Some movies are great in 3D, but it's a one time watch in 3D for me and 2D forward.

post #1915 of 3627 Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm glad to hear it's not an issue for you and yes, it does also depend on how sensitive you are to these types of things. I'm pretty sensitive to noticing stuff like that and it drives me nuts. All I can comment on is what I am seeing (which I wish I wasn't in this case wink.gif ). I'll have to try and take a picture of it when I have time. It'll be interesting to see if I can at least grab a left or right image by putting the glasses over my camera's lens. I wish I could watch in Lighter mode but it's just too "invasive" especially in animations because they're so bright and crystal clear. Live action doesn't suffer as much but the titles still do and so do objects/people when in front of a high contrasting background, like a plane against a clear blue sky.

I've made many changes to every setting I can think of and the only thing that helps is to use Normal or Darker. The irony is, if I use 2D->3D, one of the modes, I think 3 or 4, almost completely removes crosstalk but the depth of the 3D image is reduced quite a bit. I don't use 2D->3D but I had to try to see how crosstalk showed up there.

BTW, I'm around 80 hours right now and have not had any of the other issues folks have reported (knock on wood). If dealing with the crosstalk means a super 2D experience, then I'll take it. I mostly watch 2D movies anyway and actually not a huge fan of 3D. Some movies are great in 3D, but it's a one time watch in 3D for me and 2D forward.

Subjectivity is the key in pretty much everything projector-related: Color uniformity, soft projector focus, a/v sync, 3D flicker etc. I know a lot (and I mean a lot) of people who'd never have noticed the issues with my Panasonic that drove the wife and me mad.

That said, if you really aren't enjoying the 3D of the projector because of the crosstalk, there are much better 2D projectors out there in the same price range. I moved to the Sony SXRD because, let's face it, I spend most of the time watching 2D, so why not have that perform excellently?
post #1916 of 3627 Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:

Subjectivity is the key in pretty much everything projector-related: Color uniformity, soft projector focus, a/v sync, 3D flicker etc. I know a lot (and I mean a lot) of people who'd never have noticed the issues with my Panasonic that drove the wife and me mad.

That said, if you really aren't enjoying the 3D of the projector because of the crosstalk, there are much better 2D projectors out there in the same price range. I moved to the Sony SXRD because, let's face it, I spend most of the time watching 2D, so why not have that perform excellently?
For me, the 8K's 2D (and 3D) picture is just amazing and am extremely happy with it so no complaints aside from what I already mentioned. This one I'm running into the ground so to speak before I get another one as I'm tired of the projector "race." I finally found one that I'm really happy with and will keep it for as long as it runs. smile.gif

The only real glaring thing, for me, is what I mentioned a few pages back in regards to the masking. It just bugs me that you can't move a 2.35:1 image all the way down on a 16/9 screen and mask the entire upper area. The masking is only available, in this case, for half the upper area. I've gone back and forth with Panasonic on this and was hoping they could fix it via some firmware update or the like but they seemed uninterested.

post #1917 of 3627 Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:

For me, the 8K's 2D (and 3D) picture is just amazing and am extremely happy with it so no complaints aside from what I already mentioned. This one I'm running into the ground so to speak before I get another one as I'm tired of the projector "race." I finally found one that I'm really happy with and will keep it for as long as it runs. smile.gif

The only real glaring thing, for me, is what I mentioned a few pages back in regards to the masking. It just bugs me that you can't move a 2.35:1 image all the way down on a 16/9 screen and mask the entire upper area. The masking is only available, in this case, for half the upper area. I've gone back and forth with Panasonic on this and was hoping they could fix it via some firmware update or the like but they seemed uninterested.

I fully agree with you, I mean this is not a "perfect" projector, but it is a solid performer (my unit at least thanks God) and I'm not having the issues described by others.

3D tech is not perfect that is a fact and indeed you can have situations when crosstalk is evident (but not frequent and it is not taking away any of the enjoyment while watching a movie at home with my family). Heck, I went to an IMAX theater few weeks ago to watch Pacific Rim and I noticed some crosstalk in that movie too.

So, even with projectors that cost several thousands of Dollars you can still have crosstalk.....tongue.gif

post #1918 of 3627 Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, I'd say if you guys are happy, don't switch it up, that's for sure. Panasonic got my 8000 yesterday, so now the wait begins. Not that I really care anymore. biggrin.gif Just be nice to get it back pristine and sell it, so it's one less thing I need to take care of.
post #1919 of 3627 Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Quaid View Post

Hello everybody!

Hello, Total Recall fan (or coincidental name) smile.gif

Glen

Whatever is not nailed down, is mine.
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!

post #1920 of 3627 Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM

am a new member of panny 8k... just bought it and is searching for fixing of cross talk hence chance upon this page... after reading almost all the replies (yes it's massive) im glad that i have acquired from lot's of old timers here.

still new to this whole projector home theater thing but hopefully i will not face such issue...i do not have any screen yet and hope that cross talk will be minimize soon... have only used 3hrs lamp life thus far..

so ya tks for all the info here and hope to see updates from WilliamG too. smile.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page