Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 67 - AVS Forum
First ... 65  66  67 68  69  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version)
brwsaw's Avatar brwsaw 11:25 PM 09-07-2013
Will the 8000 look as clear as my 50" 720p Panasonic from the same 14' viewing distance?

AYColumbia's Avatar AYColumbia 07:08 AM 09-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post

Will the 8000 look as clear as my 50" 720p Panasonic from the same 14' viewing distance?
Clear doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't know your TV's picture quality, but at 720p, it doesn't have a chance. wink.gif You also have to keep in mind your source. If you have a bad source, the imperfections will be multiplied on a bigger picture. But a pristine source will shine. I have a 133" screen and sit 14' away with the projector behind me at about 15'. Seems like every movie I'm awed by the quality. I was watching Mud last night and there are some jaw dropping shots in that movie that looked magnificent.

BTW, there are calculators out there that can tell you the optimal viewing distance for tv/screen sizes. I think 14' may be too far away for a 50" or on the cusp, but search to see what your optimal distance should be for a 50" TV. That way you can get a more accurate assessment of how good the picture really is.
brwsaw's Avatar brwsaw 10:26 AM 09-08-2013
While 10' looked the best 14' is sounding pretty good. The SQ still isn't what it was in the house we just moved out of but this room is deeper and has more potential.
I'm trying for SQ over PQ and we've got a couple more feet to work with. A lot will depend on the image and the distance between the screen and the 8000.
I've found a new 24"×24"×84" tall rack in black for $350. I am considering moving all my equipment to behind me with the 8000 on the top shelf.
Hopefully it will all be ready at about the same time....PJ/AT screen/third tower/PS4/dedicated room...Happy new year to me!
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 12:43 PM 09-09-2013
Hey guys, it's your weekly WilliamG Saga Update!

I was away for a week, so my neighbors brought in the (not-fixed, totally-working-within-spec-yeah-right) PT-AE8000U that UPS dumped on my doorstep. Of course, why would Panasonic request a signature for a multi-thousand dollar item?

Anyway, check this out. Awesome.

I'm really not sure why Panasonic decided that the original double-boxed packaging and styrofoam wasn't enough for their projector. Very wasteful.

What's with the extra foam stuff?

You can see the lens cover imprint on the grey foam. The lens cap was shifted somewhat off the lens itself! The material itself isn't very hard, so I think the lens cap was shifted by a tech off the lens when the projector was boxed. That imprint is at an angle, and not flat like it would be if it had directly come in contact with the projector at the correct angle.

And then you can see the nice scratch they decided to put on the top of the projector.

Also note the plastic bag, despite my packing the projector in the original white, foam packaging.

Awesome, right? AWESOME!
GWCR's Avatar GWCR 12:53 PM 09-09-2013
Interesting. I'd take that as sign number 728 from the projector gods that you should not own a Panasonic projector. Time to cut your losses methinks...

On the upside, you have a current version, fully functional, within spec, documented by Panasonic projector you can sell...rolleyes.gif
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 01:00 PM 09-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Interesting. I'd take that as sign number 728 from the projector gods that you should not own a Panasonic projector. Time to cut your losses methinks...

On the upside, you have a current version, fully functional, within spec, documented by Panasonic projector you can sell...rolleyes.gif

lol, yeah. That'll be a fun sell! I'm only laughing right now because the situation is so ridiculous!

"For sale, perfectly working PT-AE8000U, if you like many different colors of the rainbow in your image. Enjoy the glorious pinks and greens of my one-of-a-kind Panasonic projector. Lovingly "autographed" on top of projector by Panasonic technician. Guaranteed to be within spec, with documented proof!"
rzan's Avatar rzan 02:19 PM 09-09-2013
Good God... that is all.
AYColumbia's Avatar AYColumbia 05:02 PM 09-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Hey guys, it's your weekly WilliamG Saga Update!
Awesome, right? AWESOME!
OMG! I'd be furious. Did you call Projector People and catch them up on the latest? I know you said they were going to try to help you out. This "amateur hour" handling is just unacceptable and should give PP some ammo to use.
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 05:23 PM 09-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

OMG! I'd be furious. Did you call Projector People and catch them up on the latest? I know you said they were going to try to help you out. This "amateur hour" handling is just unacceptable and should give PP some ammo to use.

Yep, called Projector People today about it, and have forwarded them all the relevant information. Still waiting on Panasonic to "do the right thing," whatever that is...
cr136124's Avatar cr136124 07:43 PM 09-09-2013
Quote:

Yep, called Projector People today about it, and have forwarded them all the relevant information. Still waiting on Panasonic to "do the right thing," whatever that is...

Man, this is unbelievable.......eek.gif

How in the world Panasonic will let a certified repair center handle this PJ like this?!?!? Hopefully, the folks at PP should be able to do something for you. This is totally unacceptable......mad.gif
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 10:40 PM 09-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Man, this is unbelievable.......eek.gif

How in the world Panasonic will let a certified repair center handle this PJ like this?!?!? Hopefully, the folks at PP should be able to do something for you. This is totally unacceptable......mad.gif

Oh, projectorpeople are on it, but Panasonic are just taking their sweet time. Tomorrow's another day, I suppose...
Scosdaddy's Avatar Scosdaddy 10:04 AM 09-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

I know. I am waiting to see if anything new comes out to drop the price a bit...or see if the deal is extended (this was from advise from projectorpeople.com)

Trust me it is very difficult to not pull the trigger right now...gah!!

Rich from Projector People advised you to wait for a better offer?
AYColumbia's Avatar AYColumbia 10:45 AM 09-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Nooooooooooo!!!! Man, that really sucks.........but as William just mentioned, glad it was an old laptop and not a new one.

Hopefully, you will have a chance to score the PC12-Plus earlier than expected and you will experience what these subwoofers are capable of.

Now back to our regular schedule...................I love my Panny 8000!!!
[OT for a bit] Sold a bunch of stuff on eBay/Amazon = new SVS PC12 Plus on the way. biggrin.gif [/OT]
cr136124's Avatar cr136124 11:00 AM 09-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

[OT for a bit] Sold a bunch of stuff on eBay/Amazon = new SVS PC12 Plus on the way. biggrin.gif [/OT]

[OT Reply] Sweet.............you will be really happy with the performance of this subwoofer......biggrin.gif Congrats!!! [back to the regular schedule]
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 11:09 AM 09-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scosdaddy View Post

Rich from Projector People advised you to wait for a better offer?

no he said he would wait until after CEDIA where a new model may be out thus dropping the price of the 8000. either way he will guarantee around thanksgiving they will be dropped in price..he couldnt comment on the rebate though
Scosdaddy's Avatar Scosdaddy 11:48 AM 09-10-2013
I can't wait that long as my current pj has vertical red lines on the entire screen.
dholmes54's Avatar dholmes54 12:00 PM 09-10-2013
WilliamG, that projector needs to be( struck by lighting) you know what I mean! Still sorry about your troubles.
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 01:19 PM 09-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

WilliamG, that projector needs to be( struck by lighting) you know what I mean! Still sorry about your troubles.

Yep, sucks to be me. Even more annoying to me now since Panasonic shipped it back to me in that ridiculously large box that's now taking up space in my living room. Grrrr!
dawei213's Avatar dawei213 07:25 AM 09-11-2013
I'm not too sure where to ask this but since I just purchase the PT-AE8000U from Projector People two days ago and is set to be delivered today (woohoo! can't wait), I'd figure I ask it here.

I purchased the Peerleess PNG-UNV projector mount to replace the old mount that's used with my Yamaha LPX-510. The problem is the old mount is about 6" tall and goes pass the drop ceiling and attaches to a thick wood board. If I am to replace the mount with the Peerless one, the Peerless one is much shorter so if I was to bolt up to the wood board, the spider arms will be right at the height of the drop ceiling tiles.

Is there any attachment which gives me a two inches drop or something? I hear people buying ceiling mount and the 1 1/2" threaded pipe from home depot/lowes. What kind of ceiling mount/pipes would I get? Or should I just attach another inch or so of thick wood board as the support?
dawei213's Avatar dawei213 10:14 AM 09-11-2013
Well, looks like I can use something like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_25273-29760-10802_0__?productId=4330218&Ntt=%221-1%2F2-in+x+2%22+pipe&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D%25221-1%252F2-in%2Bx%2B2%2522%2Bpipe&facetInfo=

A 1-1/2 in x 2 in pipe to give me enough extension but not too much.

Now for a mounting plate...Oh look, post #2000 for the thread!
elgordo1's Avatar elgordo1 03:17 PM 09-11-2013
Reading all this stuff from WilliamG makes me glad I purchased from Amazon..

I had originally purchased the AE-7000U, and after a couple months I experienced issues.

Amazon sent me a return authorization and gave me a full refund with zero hassle.

That's how I ended up with the 8000U, which I have not had any trouble with.

Moral of the story: Amazon rocks.
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 03:39 PM 09-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordo1 View Post

Reading all this stuff from WilliamG makes me glad I purchased from Amazon..

I had originally purchased the AE-7000U, and after a couple months I experienced issues.

Amazon sent me a return authorization and gave me a full refund with zero hassle.

That's how I ended up with the 8000U, which I have not had any trouble with.

Moral of the story: Amazon rocks.

Honestly, my seller has been the BEST part of the whole situation. Amazon certainly wouldn't have been able to take the steps projectorpeople have, after this amount of time. Remember, I got my projector in November, 2012. Despite only putting 185 hours on the projector - Amazon surely wouldn't have given you a refund after this long.. (and I love Amazon).

Panasonic Saga Update:

Gave Projectorpeople a call this afternoon, and the RMA was approved this afternoon by the bigwigs at Panasonic! Projectorpeople are just waiting for the paperwork to come in, and in THEORY I'm going to be getting a full refund (that's what I'm told) after the projector is returned.

So, that's my update for today! Not counting any chickens, but so far, so good. smile.gif
elgordo1's Avatar elgordo1 04:08 PM 09-11-2013
Not sure when you first saw the problem, but I bought mine in Dec 2012 and then returned it at the end of Feb 2013 for a full refund.

Glad to see you got your stuff straightened out though.. hope you get that RMA and get it taken care of ASAP.

I wouldn't want to go through this crap again (I also dealt with Panasonic first before turning to Amazon).
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 04:34 PM 09-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordo1 View Post

Not sure when you first saw the problem, but I bought mine in Dec 2012 and then returned it at the end of Feb 2013 for a full refund.

Glad to see you got your stuff straightened out though.. hope you get that RMA and get it taken care of ASAP.

I wouldn't want to go through this crap again (I also dealt with Panasonic first before turning to Amazon).

Well, I saw initial color uniformity issues shortly after purchase, but they were so slight I just dealt with it (as I have in the past with all Panasonic projectors). It then got significantly worse over TEN months of use. I'm not sure when you first contacted Amazon, but it sounds like it wasn't awfully long after that 30 days return (maybe before?), so I'm not super surprised they took care of you. I know Amazon would laugh at me if I called them about a projector I'd almost owned a year, which is what happened with me.

Bottom line, Projectorpeople have my business, forever, and ever, and ever.
madurodave's Avatar madurodave 07:50 PM 09-11-2013
Quote:

Bottom line, Projectorpeople have my business, forever, and ever, and ever.

Wait, didn't you get your Sony 30ES elsewhere?tongue.gif
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 09:14 AM 09-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post

Quote:

Yup! You've been keeping up. smile.gif I just was so frustrated with the Panasonic situation I picked up the Sony at Best Buy since it was 30-minute gratification from leaving my house to returning with a working projector biggrin.gif. Now, my neighbor has been wanting a new projector forEVER, so he's probably going to take my Sony 30ES (for the price I paid since I got a pretty good deal on it), or have me order one for him from projectorpeople. Either way, projectorpeople wins. Yay!

I'm in two minds, though, about what to pick up from projectorpeople if it's for me. I may just order another 30ES. I'm so impressed with it, and it puts all the current Panasonics to shame. Decisions, decisions.
madurodave's Avatar madurodave 09:55 AM 09-12-2013
Quote:

Yup! You've been keeping up. smile.gif I just was so frustrated with the Panasonic situation I picked up the Sony at Best Buy since it was 30-minute gratification from leaving my house to returning with a working projector biggrin.gif. Now, my neighbor has been wanting a new projector forEVER, so he's probably going to take my Sony 30ES (for the price I paid since I got a pretty good deal on it), or have me order one for him from projectorpeople. Either way, projectorpeople wins. Yay!

I'm in two minds, though, about what to pick up from projectorpeople if it's for me. I may just order another 30ES. I'm so impressed with it, and it puts all the current Panasonics to shame. Decisions, decisions.

I ended up with the 50ES, purchased from AVS (ask for quote - same for 30ES). Love it so far but just a little use so far.

Watching Star Trek Into Darkness 3D this weekend. Can't wait!
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 04:55 PM 09-12-2013
Quote:

I ended up with the 50ES, purchased from AVS (ask for quote - same for 30ES). Love it so far but just a little use so far.

Watching Star Trek Into Darkness 3D this weekend. Can't wait!

I find it hard to get excited about 3D on Sony's 3D projectors due to the flickering and "weirdness" of motion in 3D. While the Panasonic 7000/8000 have more crosstalk (at times it's unbearable), the Sonys just permanently flickers, flickers, flickers and has trouble with panning motions in 3D (and to a lesser extent, 2D). *sigh* Of course this is subjective, but going from the Panasonic to the Sony (as I've mentioned before in this thread and the Sony thread) was just a huge punch in the face when it comes to 3D.

I still think the easiest 3D on the eyes is passive implementation, but of course - that has other issues (significant loss of resolution, for one thing, and uh... needing a whole new screen!). If 3D is one's PRIMARY goal for a projector in this sort of price-range, I'd go with the Epson 5020/6020.

I'm kinda hoping Sony will announce some new projectors at CEDIA (aside from the already-announced HW55ES) with some new 3D improvements. But it's probably unlikely.
madurodave's Avatar madurodave 05:46 PM 09-12-2013
Quote:

I find it hard to get excited about 3D on Sony's 3D projectors due to the flickering and "weirdness" of motion in 3D. While the Panasonic 7000/8000 have more crosstalk (at times it's unbearable), the Sonys just permanently flickers, flickers, flickers and has trouble with panning motions in 3D (and to a lesser extent, 2D). *sigh* Of course this is subjective, but going from the Panasonic to the Sony (as I've mentioned before in this thread and the Sony thread) was just a huge punch in the face when it comes to 3D.

I still think the easiest 3D on the eyes is passive implementation, but of course - that has other issues (significant loss of resolution, for one thing, and uh... needing a whole new screen!). If 3D is one's PRIMARY goal for a projector in this sort of price-range, I'd go with the Epson 5020/6020.

I'm kinda hoping Sony will announce some new projectors at CEDIA (aside from the already-announced HW55ES) with some new 3D improvements. But it's probably unlikely.

My primary goal is 2D, so the Sony fits. The Epsons have the same panels as your 8000, so same issues! I am surprised you would recommend them. The same reviewer who mentioned color variations on the 8000 reviewed the Epson. Same issues! So no, Epson would not work for me! I think I made the right choice.

3D is just a bonus. Will give feedback after seeing Star Trek!
WilliamG's Avatar WilliamG 12:05 AM 09-13-2013
Quote:

My primary goal is 2D, so the Sony fits. The Epsons have the same panels as your 8000, so same issues! I am surprised you would recommend them. The same reviewer who mentioned color variations on the 8000 reviewed the Epson. Same issues! So no, Epson would not work for me! I think I made the right choice.

3D is just a bonus. Will give feedback after seeing Star Trek!

If your primary goal is 2D, the Sony is definitely the better option. smile.gif

Also, in my experience with the 5020, the picture was uniformly much better than the 4000/7000/8000 Panasonics. I've heard from several sources now that Panasonic uses lower-tier Epson panels in their projectors. I can't say for sure it's true, but it would make sense. The Epson 3D blows away the Sony 3D, and is one step better than the Panasonic 3D. But absolutely, 2D goes to the Sony (or JVC LCOS!).
Tags: Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
First ... 65  66  67 68  69  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop