Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3627 Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Unless you are limited to width in your room I see no reason not to do a 2.35 screen. Pick the 16:9 screen size you like and then just add to the width to make it 2.35, simple enough wink.gif

I agree, except that for the majority of people the limitation to their room (and screen size) is width, not height...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3627 Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Unless you are limited to width in your room I see no reason not to do a 2.35 screen. Pick the 16:9 screen size you like and then just add to the width to make it 2.35, simple enough wink.gif

You mean if i would have selected a 117 inch 16/9 screen (260 cm x146 cm viewing area), i should look for a 2:35/1 screen with 146 cm height? That's a huge 2:35/1 screen i think.

That's it man, game over man, game over!
post #183 of 3627 Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash3d View Post

You mean if i would have selected a 117 inch 16/9 screen (260 cm x146 cm viewing area), i should look for a 2:35/1 screen with 146 cm height? That's a huge 2:35/1 screen i think.

Exactly! My 16:9 screen is 115 diagonal (56-1/2" tall) . The 2.35 screen is the same height and 133" wide, actually I run a 2.40 screen @ 136" wide.

That is what gives the wow effect when you go to 2.35 from the 16:9 intro / menu screen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 3627 Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Exactly! My 16:9 screen is 115 diagonal (56-1/2" tall) . The 2.35 screen is the same height and 133" wide, actually I run a 2.40 screen @ 136" wide.
That is what gives the wow effect when you go to 2.35 from the 16:9 intro / menu screen

But you use one or two screens?

post #185 of 3627 Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash3d View Post

But you use one or two screens?

I have one screen and have adjustable masking on the sides. I can actually make my screen any size I want with a height of 56-1/2"

If you look at the pictures of my theater in my sig you can see my screen at 4:3 , 16:9 and 2.40

post #186 of 3627 Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:

I have one screen and had adjustable masking on the sides. I can actually make my screen any size I want with a height of 56-1/2"
If you look at the pictures of my theater in my sig you can see my screen at 4:3 , 16:9 and 2.40

Thank you, very impressive setup smile.gif.

post #187 of 3627 Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM

A variation of Mopar_Mudder's design is to have adjustable making on all four sides. This can permit all aspect ratio images to have equal area. The result is that all aspect ratios have a WOW factor -- scope movies provide panoramic wonder, while old-time 3X4 classics have impact with extra height. TV programs and 1.85:1 movies are an impressive compromise. With an equal area set up, all aspect ratios are valid -- they are all have an equal overall impact, although in different ways. Whatever the aspect ratio I never feel cheated with lacking width or height.

In my theater I use a Wilson Art DIY screen (5 by 10 feet). Using fairly simple 4-way masking, I can have any aspect ratio image contain approximately 5000 square inches. The adjustable aspect ratio feature of Panasonic projectors makes my equal area set up easy to use. In fact, I don't think I will ever consider a projector upgrade without an automatic aspect ratio adjustment.

Hoyt Griffith
post #188 of 3627 Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

I agree, except that for the majority of people the limitation to their room (and screen size) is width, not height...

Agreed on both ends. Get the biggest possible screen based on your width or height situation of the room and of course based on what your projector can project. If restricted by width, then your 16:9 image will be larger and mask the top and/or bottom to get the 2.35 image. If restricted by height, then your 2.35 image will be larger and mask on the sides to get the 16:9 image. In my case, my room is plenty wide at approximately 18' and but the ceiling is just under 8' so I will have a much larger 2.35 image than my 16:9 image. I was originally considering the 8000 but am in for a pre-order of the RS46 since the price was better and I don't care about the 3D that much. Once I get that in November/December, I will see what size of screen will work best from where I will be projecting.

post #189 of 3627 Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Griffith View Post

A variation of Mopar_Mudder's design is to have adjustable making on all four sides. This can permit all aspect ratio images to have equal area. The result is that all aspect ratios have a WOW factor -- scope movies provide panoramic wonder, while old-time 3X4 classics have impact with extra height. TV programs and 1.85:1 movies are an impressive compromise. With an equal area set up, all aspect ratios are valid -- they are all have an equal overall impact, although in different ways. Whatever the aspect ratio I never feel cheated with lacking width or height.
In my theater I use a Wilson Art DIY screen (5 by 10 feet). Using fairly simple 4-way masking, I can have any aspect ratio image contain approximately 5000 square images. The adjustable aspect ratio feature of Panasonic projectors makes my equal area set up easy to use. In fact, I don't think I will ever consider a projector upgrade without an automatic aspect ratio adjustment.

My original plan was to go with 4 way masking like you say. But I complicated my 2 way masking enough that I am glad I didn't try and go 4 way eek.gif

I wouldn't be with out the auto masking and auto ratio switch now that I have had it, really limits you projector choices though....

post #190 of 3627 Old 10-31-2012, 05:08 AM

I get mine on 11/1/2012 so I'll give a quick review compared to my Epson 8350. The Espon has severley dissapointed me.... started out great and a nice improvement from the Panasonic ax-200u but then I had to turn off the iris for being too loud. And a short while later a nice green grapefruit sized blob appeared dead center on the 100" screen. I plan on using the new Panasonic for 2D only for the moment..
post #191 of 3627 Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post

Agreed on both ends. Get the biggest possible screen based on your width or height situation of the room and of course based on what your projector can project. If restricted by width, then your 16:9 image will be larger and mask the top and/or bottom to get the 2.35 image. If restricted by height, then your 2.35 image will be larger and mask on the sides to get the 16:9 image. In my case, my room is plenty wide at approximately 18' and but the ceiling is just under 8' so I will have a much larger 2.35 image than my 16:9 image. I was originally considering the 8000 but am in for a pre-order of the RS46 since the price was better and I don't care about the 3D that much. Once I get that in November/December, I will see what size of screen will work best from where I will be projecting.

If I had a dedicated Theater Room (sigh) , the largest screen with 4 way masking is the way to go. Better yet is the two screen idea.
For those of us who have to make do with a family room or living room and use an electric or pull down screen, then there is not a good (cost effective) solution.
That's why I'm considering using modern video processors to achieve a similar outcome.

Da-Lite will make an electric drop screen with any dimension you want, within reason, for about the cost of the next size up in their lineup.
I'm thinking of having them make a 130" x 65" (2.0:1) electric drop and using a Lumagen (or similar) to auto adjust all formats to 2.0:1 with non linear stretch.
There are several examples on Youtube of people using the Lumagen to take 16x9 to 2;35 and it looks so "natural" that I couldn't tell what the original AR was...

Besides getting the largest "constant area" picture possible, using the processor means that you don't need a projector with powered lens controls, so something like the new Sony 50ES will now work.

Everything involves some sort of compromise...

my $.02
post #192 of 3627 Old 10-31-2012, 07:04 AM

Liked: 14
Hello. I've got about 75 hours on my new 8k and I decided to run a calibration blu-ray. I noticed something that I'm not very happy about... a red/pink hue to the bottom left 1/4 of the screen. It gets worse the more you approach the absolute left corner. Anyone else experiencing this?! I only noticed because the calibration disk had the screen completely white and now I can't help but notice it any time a light color is displayed in the left 1/4 of the screen. It's driving my CRAZY.
post #193 of 3627 Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Griffith View Post

In my theater I use a Wilson Art DIY screen (5 by 10 feet). Using fairly simple 4-way masking, I can have any aspect ratio image contain approximately 5000 square images. The adjustable aspect ratio feature of Panasonic projectors makes my equal area set up easy to use. In fact, I don't think I will ever consider a projector upgrade without an automatic aspect ratio adjustment.
Anyone have any examples of these masking options they have

Anyone have any examples of these home made masking options that you all have done?

I saw the one in Mopar_Muddler's sig, but I couldn't really make out how those were actually created and how they stay on the wall.

I'm going to be purchasing a screen in the not too near future and am kind of turn between 2.35 and 16:9 screens.
post #194 of 3627 Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Anyone have any examples of these home made masking options that you all have done?
I saw the one in Mopar_Muddler's sig, but I couldn't really make out how those were actually created and how they stay on the wall.
I'm going to be purchasing a screen in the not too near future and am kind of turn between 2.35 and 16:9 screens.

Don't want to take this thread any further off track.

So here is mine:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1229614/my-vertical-masking-master-plan
I am going to under go an update of mine this winter to improve some things

And this is what I based mine on:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/941076/4-way-acoustically-transparent-masking

post #195 of 3627 Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

Anyone using darbee with the ae8000? Thoughts?

I just received my Darbee last Friday for use with my 8k and I love it. Had each family member test it. They didn't know what it was or whether I was turning it on or off (I have it set to HD 50%), I just simply asked them which setting looked better and if it was really noticeable (16x9 - 120 inches, 12 feet away). Both my kids and wife liked the Darbee affect better than without it and I couldn't agree more. Amazing. My wife did quip, "totally worth the $350".... I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic :-) She'll never understand.
post #196 of 3627 Old 10-31-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Quote:

Don't want to take this thread any further off track.

So here is mine:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1229614/my-vertical-masking-master-plan
I am going to under go an update of mine this winter to improve some things

And this is what I based mine on:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/941076/4-way-acoustically-transparent-masking

PLEASE people, stay on topic. Dont be offended. There is an awesome screens/displays forum for all your related needs. You are derailing this thread off topic.
Squuiid likes this.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
, and
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #197 of 3627 Old 10-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

PLEASE people, stay on topic. Dont be offended. There is an awesome screens/displays forum for all your related needs. You are derailing this thread off topic.

Sorry about that, good call though. I'll go over there and do some research when I start to actually look at purchasing one.
post #198 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post

Hello. I've got about 75 hours on my new 8k and I decided to run a calibration blu-ray. I noticed something that I'm not very happy about... a red/pink hue to the bottom left 1/4 of the screen. It gets worse the more you approach the absolute left corner. Anyone else experiencing this?! I only noticed because the calibration disk had the screen completely white and now I can't help but notice it any time a light color is displayed in the left 1/4 of the screen. It's driving my CRAZY.

ProjectorPeople.com are going to facilitate a new replacement unit with Panasonic. Panasonic would want me to send the defective one to them and once they receive it and check it out, they would send the replacement. Thus, I could be without a projector for up to 10 days and I use this thing almost every night. ProjectorPeople.com will allow me to just buy a new one and then credit me back once they receive the defective one and they will pay for shipping back to them. I'm very happy with their customer service. Final step was to take some pictures and send them to Panasonic. Here is what I'm seeing. I would love for others to look at theirs with a a white picture to see if it's as bad as mine. DSCN0928.JPG 3077k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0928.JPG (3.00 MB, 159 views)
post #199 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Hi, I'm thinking about buying this projector and was wondering how the black level would compare to my existing projector, which is a JVC DLA-HD250? Grateful for any opinions. Thanks.
post #200 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 AM

I'm still having my choppiness issues, with the PC and the antenna TV (but not with blu-ray or X-box). I can't figure it out -- with the TV at least, I've changed nothing from my setup with my last projector, which never had this issue. It seems to get choppy when the action slows down, like in scenes with not much movement.

I don't want to turn frame creation on, but is that my only option on those sources?
post #201 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 AM

UPS just delivered the 2 free 3D glasses, both medium size. I mailed the rebate form about
4 weeks ago. So far I am loving the AE8000.
post #202 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf.0088 View Post

There is another option... Motorized 16/9 screen is also smaller diagonal 2.35/1 screen.
So for 2.35/1 content you can use it like below:
- roll up the screen until 2.35 format;
- shift up the image without using lens shift (there is a function in menu);
- save the position in lens memory.
I'm planning to use this setup if I'll go with Panny ae8k.
The screen in the photo is 190" 2.35/1 (rolled up 200" 16/9).

But there are some nuances:
- screen's case must be black. (or you should mask it, like I did)
- screen should be hanged not too high. Otherwise have to look up, when watching movie.
I have also been considering the new Panasonic specifically due to it's powered lens memory feature...
I'm on the fence for a new PJ and we are facing the same "dilemma" regarding how to best display both (16x9 and 2:35) formats.
If you choose a native 2:35 screen, then you will have some sort of a reduced height 16x9 picture.
The above technique is good if you can hang your screen down to the appropriate height.
Our media room is also a family room and we have to use a ceiling mount electric drop screen.
This puts the "rolled up" 2:35 format too high.

The two screens idea is a good fix, if you have motorized lens adjustment or memory.
Many of the new mid priced PJs (like the Sony or Epson) lack motorized lens controls.
For our projector, I need a (cathedral) ceiling mount with a drop tube and manually adjusting focus and zoom for two different format screens is not an option.
My thinking is to go halfway between the two formats and use a 2.0:1 screen like this: http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/residential/products/variable_masking_dedicated_fixed/directors_choice_2.0/directors_choice_2.0_residential.html
Then use a modern digital processor, like the Lumagen, to adjust the picture of both formats to 2.0:1, with non linear stretch.
I realize that this will cause a minute amount of distortion, but you end up with the best of both worlds.
I have searched AVS, but aside from a few Optoma owners who use Optomas "SuperWide" feature (which shifts both formats to 2.0:1), I have not seen anyone try this.
Any thoughts?

If like yo said above "it looks so "natural" that I couldn't tell what the original AR was..." why not...
It depends on how picky you are regarding this, and I guess you should decide it yourself. If that's OK for you, go for it.

post #203 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

I got my 8000 today and hooked it up where I will eventually have it and holy crap, this thing is a beast!

http://imgur.com/a/NFEJ4

The one thing that honestly surprised me (since this is my first home projector) is how much the white walls/ceiling/floor really reflects the light in the bright scenes. It almost made the screen seem dimmer when it was bright because of it.

I do plan on painting at least the wall the screen will eventually be on (which is where it is projected in the pics above). Would painting the ceiling and the side walls also make a huge difference? I really don't see us changing the carpet down there though, so I'm wondering if that will be a problem. What is a good dark color to paint that isn't black? I would like to steer clear of black and just a darker red or blue if that is going to help.

The screen in that pic is probably like 126" or so. I remember I had it RIGHT at 120" and got it up a bit bigger (as big as it would go at that distance). I'm still not sure if 120" is too big for how close we're going to be sitting though.
post #204 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

ProjectorPeople.com are going to facilitate a new replacement unit with Panasonic. Panasonic would want me to send the defective one to them and once they receive it and check it out, they would send the replacement. Thus, I could be without a projector for up to 10 days and I use this thing almost every night. ProjectorPeople.com will allow me to just buy a new one and then credit me back once they receive the defective one and they will pay for shipping back to them. I'm very happy with their customer service. Final step was to take some pictures and send them to Panasonic. Here is what I'm seeing. I would love for others to look at theirs with a a white picture to see if it's as bad as mine. DSCN0928.JPG 3077k .JPG file
Owner in russian forum has same problem... on left bottom corner.

post #205 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:

I got my 8000 today and hooked it up where I will eventually have it and holy crap, this thing is a beast!
http://imgur.com/a/NFEJ4
The one thing that honestly surprised me (since this is my first home projector) is how much the white walls/ceiling/floor really reflects the light in the bright scenes. It almost made the screen seem dimmer when it was bright because of it.
I do plan on painting at least the wall the screen will eventually be on (which is where it is projected in the pics above). Would painting the ceiling and the side walls also make a huge difference? I really don't see us changing the carpet down there though, so I'm wondering if that will be a problem. What is a good dark color to paint that isn't black? I would like to steer clear of black and just a darker red or blue if that is going to help.
The screen in that pic is probably like 126" or so. I remember I had it RIGHT at 120" and got it up a bit bigger (as big as it would go at that distance). I'm still not sure if 120" is too big for how close we're going to be sitting though.
The most critical area for reflections - the first 1.5 meter from the screen. IMO, dark red would be preferred.

post #206 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf.0088 View Post

The most critical area for reflections - the first 1.5 meter from the screen. IMO, dark red would be preferred.

So would painting the wall that it is on, as well as the ceiling, a dark red, and then putting like a black throw carpet on the ground that runs the length of the screen work well?

As far as paint texture goes, is there a preferred paint?

My wife would be cool with a dark red. How dark is "dark" though for this whole concept?
post #207 of 3627 Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Wrong thread for the whole paint discussion! Please visit the theatre builder section please Tons of info and people that will provide help.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
, and
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #208 of 3627 Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 AM

Got mine yesterday and had a chance to set it up and watch some Dexter. Defiintely a nice improvement over the Epson 8350, noticeably more contrast!

Only problem I've had so far is some severe lip-synching issue while watching TV, but then I think it went away, so I'll have to keep an eye on that and look into solutions if it continues.
post #209 of 3627 Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizam View Post

Got mine yesterday and had a chance to set it up and watch some Dexter. Defiintely a nice improvement over the Epson 8350, noticeably more contrast!
Only problem I've had so far is some severe lip-synching issue while watching TV, but then I think it went away, so I'll have to keep an eye on that and look into solutions if it continues.

I would be really interested in hearing more impressions in regards to the 8350 vs 8000 if you find some time over the next few days. I really want to upgrade and it's kinda looking like the 5020 isn't an option for how I use projectors which sucks.

post #210 of 3627 Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

I would be really interested in hearing more impressions in regards to the 8350 vs 8000 if you find some time over the next few days. I really want to upgrade and it's kinda looking like the 5020 isn't an option for how I use projectors which sucks.

What did you want to know? The pictures is more vibrant, darker blacks, etc. I can't comment on 3D. It's a noticeable improvement. I still need to do more light control ( darn white ceiling ) that will brind the blacks down further. If you live around Atlanta you can come check it out at my house. The Epson 8350 is rated at 50K contrast, and the Panasonic AE8000 is 500K contrast.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page