Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 3549 Old 11-29-2013, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I just purchased from B&H. It also includes the Free streaming player as well but had to ask them to manually add it to the order FYI.

BTW, after this weekend, there is a new Panasonic promotion until the end of the year. Its just $350 cash back ... so no extended warranty or glasses.

What streaming media player? I don't see it listed on their site?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3549 Old 11-29-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Fire sale???

Really? rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperek04 View Post

Ordered one today, now it's time to buy myself a screen. Thoughts on 16:9 vs 2:35:1?

Currently I'm looking to get the CineWhite 100" 16:9 screen with a sitting distance of 10-11', would this be too big or is it a fair size at this distance?

Congrats!

I'm using a 120" CineWhite screen with 16:9 AR. Yes, the black bars are a bit annoying at first...........but watching football on a 16:9 is just amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKarelis View Post

I just took the plunge and purchased the 8000U from the Projector People.  There is a $550 mail in cash rebate today until Monday.  There is also a Panasonic streaming media player and 2 pairs of 3D glasses thrown into the mix.  Plus free shipping.  

Maybe now I can be a contributor to this group instead of just a lurker. . .  lol.

Congrats and welcome to the family!!!!
TomKarelis likes this.
post #2523 of 3549 Old 11-29-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokercard View Post

What streaming media player? I don't see it listed on their site?

In the original promotion described by Panasonic

http://www.panasonic.com/business/projectors/special-black-friday-offers.asp

"First 150 to purchase will receive a FREE Panasonic Miracast™ streaming media player (valued at $99). The Panasonic DMP-MST60 streaming media player streams movies, music, images and more PLUS features Miracast, for transferring content from your compatible Android device (v4.2 or higher) and watching it on the big screen. "

It suggests a streaming player is available to the first 150 folks purchasing. This should be honored by the retailer. However PP only made this available to the first 100. AIG to the first 10 and B&H didn't even list the player.

That said, when I spoke to B&H about this after I placed the order they went ahead and manually added it to my order for no charge.
post #2524 of 3549 Old 11-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Ben

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKarelis View Post

I just took the plunge and purchased the 8000U from the Projector People.  There is a $550 mail in cash rebate today until Monday.  There is also a Panasonic streaming media player and 2 pairs of 3D glasses thrown into the mix.  Plus free shipping.  

Maybe now I can be a contributor to this group instead of just a lurker. . .  lol.

Congrats on the new projector. I did the same thing today. I ordered the AE8000 from the same place, to replace my 5 year old AE3000. I'm anxious to see how much better (and brighter) the picture will be.
TomKarelis likes this.
post #2525 of 3549 Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Need some help/thoughts on a problem syncing 3D glasses. I called Panasonic support this evening and my issue has been escalated for Tier II review on Monday. In the meantime, I thought I'd see if the wise and capable folks here had any ideas.

• Initially synced pair of 3Active glasses I found on Amazon...worked fine.
  • Got into the menus, did some tuning forgot about 3D for a week or two.
  • Came back with a new 3D Blu Ray and could not get glasses to sync. Went out and bought Panasonic recommend TY-ER3DMU glasses, still no luck. Neither the original 3Actives or the Panny's will sync.
  • Factory reset (Initialized All) projector and still no luck.

Overall, the equipment,cabling and environment is all the same, the only variable I can report is the passage of time.

Thanks for your thoughts : )
post #2526 of 3549 Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Ordered one today, now it's time to buy myself a screen. Thoughts on 16:9 vs 2:35:1?

Currently I'm looking to get the CineWhite 100" 16:9 screen with a sitting distance of 10-11', would this be too big or is it a fair size at this distance?
If you watch movies, I highly recommend a 2.35:1 screen. The projector can be set up to automatically recognize a scope picture and automatically zoom to fill the screen. It's a magical moment when you hit Play and suddenly the image fills the whole screen!

Mike
post #2527 of 3549 Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

If you watch movies, I highly recommend a 2.35:1 screen. The projector can be set up to automatically recognize a scope picture and automatically zoom to fill the screen. It's a magical moment when you hit Play and suddenly the image fills the whole screen!

Mike
Completely agree. I struggled with that decision early on, as I thought going scope wouldn't give me a big enough 16:9 image. Absolutely no regrets. 2.35 filling the screen is fantastic, and whenever anyone sees the scope image automatically zoom to fill the screen they are awestruck. We are probably 75% movie watchers vs TV, so it ended up being the right decision. Also, when watching TV (usually sports) in the HT, the 16:9 image is plenty big for me.
post #2528 of 3549 Old 11-30-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Congrats!

I'm using a 120" CineWhite screen with 16:9 AR. Yes, the black bars are a bit annoying at first...........but watching football on a 16:9 is just amazing!

Thanks! I decided to go with the 16:9 as it makes the most sense for me and my room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

Mike

Unfortunately I barely have enough space on my wall for 16:9 at 100" so for now I'm going to stick with 16:9 over 2.35

Are the TYEW3D3MU glasses still the way to go for 3d for this projector? Also is there anywhere I can find them for under $50 each say if I buy four or something

Are the medium sized glasses big enough for most?

post #2529 of 3549 Old 11-30-2013, 01:19 PM

I have a giant head and the Mediums fit me fine.
post #2530 of 3549 Old 11-30-2013, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pulled the trigger. I couldn't pass up the deal for my first projector. Got the 8000 from Projector People, with the rebate and discounts $700 off plus 2 3D glasses, nice. I was struggling between the Sony 55es and the Epson 5030 and while the Panny might not project as good as an image as the others I'll never know. Ignorance is bliss. Plus I'm on a budget. Also have the Axiom Epic Grand Master 7.1 on-wall speakers coming as well. 10% off the factory seconds then a 20% gift certificate of the total order, saved over $700 there as well.

Now I need to order a Seymour AT screen 2:35 130" and some theater seas and I'm in business.

Thanks for all the info, I've been a lurker too long.

post #2531 of 3549 Old 11-30-2013, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question about the memory zoom as I'm about to order this projector from B&H, and I'n about to build my screen. I was going to build a 120"x51" 2.35 screen, and use CIH to make a narrower 16:9 screen. Using the memory zoom feature, can I have it switch to a taller 16:9 image than the 51"? I can use a 4-way masking system.

Thanks!

__________________________________________________ ______

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415464/aa...sement-theater
post #2532 of 3549 Old 11-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronN View Post

Question about the memory zoom as I'm about to order this projector from B&H, and I'n about to build my screen. I was going to build a 120"x51" 2.35 screen, and use CIH to make a narrower 16:9 screen. Using the memory zoom feature, can I have it switch to a taller 16:9 image than the 51"? I can use a 4-way masking system.

Thanks!
Yes. The screen sizes for the auto switching are completely independent.
AaronN likes this.
post #2533 of 3549 Old 11-30-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Yes. The screen sizes for the auto switching are completely independent.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the quick reply.

__________________________________________________ ______

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415464/aa...sement-theater
post #2534 of 3549 Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Congrats on the new projector. I did the same thing today. I ordered the AE8000 from the same place, to replace my 5 year old AE3000. I'm anxious to see how much better (and brighter) the picture will be.

Congrats on the new PJ and looking forward to hear your initial impressions on the new unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommercialSkip View Post

Need some help/thoughts on a problem syncing 3D glasses. I called Panasonic support this evening and my issue has been escalated for Tier II review on Monday. In the meantime, I thought I'd see if the wise and capable folks here had any ideas.

• Initially synced pair of 3Active glasses I found on Amazon...worked fine.
  • Got into the menus, did some tuning forgot about 3D for a week or two.
  • Came back with a new 3D Blu Ray and could not get glasses to sync. Went out and bought Panasonic recommend TY-ER3DMU glasses, still no luck. Neither the original 3Actives or the Panny's will sync.
  • Factory reset (Initialized All) projector and still no luck.

Overall, the equipment,cabling and environment is all the same, the only variable I can report is the passage of time.

Thanks for your thoughts : )

Did you manage to resolve the issue. I'm using a pair of PS3 3D glasses and a pair of the Panny ones without any issue. Did you try to change the 3D settings on the Panny. You can try to adjust the 3D IR Transmitter and see if that helps.
Quote:

Thanks! I decided to go with the 16:9 as it makes the most sense for me and my room.

Unfortunately I barely have enough space on my wall for 16:9 at 100" so for now I'm going to stick with 16:9 over 2.35

You'll be happy with the screen........congrats!

Quote:

Are the TYEW3D3MU glasses still the way to go for 3d for this projector? Also is there anywhere I can find them for under $50 each say if I buy four or something

Are the medium sized glasses big enough for most?

I received medium as part of the promotion when I purchased the PJ, and I didn't have issues with them. Let's wait to other to chime in here too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundis View Post

Pulled the trigger. I couldn't pass up the deal for my first projector. Got the 8000 from Projector People, with the rebate and discounts $700 off plus 2 3D glasses, nice. I was struggling between the Sony 55es and the Epson 5030 and while the Panny might not project as good as an image as the others I'll never know. Ignorance is bliss. Plus I'm on a budget. Also have the Axiom Epic Grand Master 7.1 on-wall speakers coming as well. 10% off the factory seconds then a 20% gift certificate of the total order, saved over $700 there as well.

Now I need to order a Seymour AT screen 2:35 130" and some theater seas and I'm in business.

Thanks for all the info, I've been a lurker too long.

There is just one more thing you need to do................take a lot of pics when you have everything at home up and running, and then share them with us here......wink.gif

Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronN View Post

Thanks!

I went straight to a 16:9 screen due to limited budget. But, if you are going to built your own screen with a masking system, please make sure to open a new thread and share the link here with us. I'll be the first one subscribing to your thread.
post #2535 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 AM

Question for those of you that have this projector with a 21x9 screen. How do you handle (deal with) subtitle placement. Do you find that some titles incorrectly place subtitles at this aspect ratio and part of the subtitles are cut off?
post #2536 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am so tempted to jump on this and go 3d finally. My Epson 8500 has nearly 2500 hours on the lamp, so it has to be coming towards the end of its life. With Discovers 5% cash back and this rebate, it is really tempting. Would the lens shift be similar to the Epson I have. The last thing I want to do is relocate my mount. I might already have to re run high speed HDMI for 3D and look for a 3D ready receiver. Oh this hobby of mine.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #2537 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

I am so tempted to jump on this and go 3d finally. My Epson 8500 has nearly 2500 hours on the lamp, so it has to be coming towards the end of its life. With Discovers 5% cash back and this rebate, it is really tempting. Would the lens shift be similar to the Epson I have. The last thing I want to do is relocate my mount. I might already have to re run high speed HDMI for 3D and look for a 3D ready receiver. Oh this hobby of mine.

It's pretty extensive in both zoom and lens shift. Here's a link to their setup positions that tells you the ranges you can mount based on aspect ratio and size of your screen: http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ae8000/positions.html
post #2538 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

b&h just raised the price $50.

My DVD Collection
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #2539 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

b&h just raised the price $50.

and the estimated ship time has gone out to 7 to 10 days ... so its fair to say they sold out of whatever they had in stock.
post #2540 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep. I went with projectorpeople for $100 more. Supposedly in stock, with all the goodies ready to go. Plus the 30 days no hassle return is key to my lens shift problem. Other good news is my HDMI cable is 1.3 so no need to go rerunning it.

Cant wait to join your club.

My DVD Collection
post #2541 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 12:17 PM

I am thinking to join this club now but I hate that I only have one day to do research to get this deal. I had been planning my man cave room for a year now and it is almost ready except a projector and screen. This seems like a great deal at this price so now I have to decide between B&H or Projector People. I am tempted to pay the extra money for the goodies. I really was going to wait until January or February but this price seems too good. I had budgeted around 2K for everything and this fits right in.

I have a few questions i did not see about this projector.

1. How long does it take to turn on? I go in and out of my room and sometimes just want to watch 10 min of tv.
2. Has anyone dealt with B&H before on returns? Given that some projectors seem to have issues I want a retailer who i can work with.
post #2542 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa8949 View Post

I am thinking to join this club now but I hate that I only have one day to do research to get this deal. I had been planning my man cave room for a year now and it is almost ready except a projector and screen. This seems like a great deal at this price so now I have to decide between B&H or Projector People. I am tempted to pay the extra money for the goodies. I really was going to wait until January or February but this price seems too good. I had budgeted around 2K for everything and this fits right in.

I have a few questions i did not see about this projector.

1. How long does it take to turn on? I go in and out of my room and sometimes just want to watch 10 min of tv.
2. Has anyone dealt with B&H before on returns? Given that some projectors seem to have issues I want a retailer who i can work with.

I wouldn't recommend using a projector for 10 minute viewing sessions - there is a warm up period for the lamp where it builds brightness and the temperature/color stabilizes, and also a cool down period during shutdown where the fan runs to cool it off. Cycling it on and off for 10 minutes sessions is going to greatly shorten the life of the lamp, plus you won't be experiencing the quality image it's capable of producing.

I've purchased from B&H before, and everything was satisfactory - never had to do a return.

Make sure you get the projector you want, and don't just base your decision on price - all projectors have pros and cons, so make sure this one matches your needs. To me it's like a new car - I make a decision on the make, model and equipment I want, then try to find the best price for it. People typically have these for years, and you don't want to be second guessing your decision every time you turn it on. Good luck ... smile.gif
post #2543 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I used to own a projector so am somewhat familiar with the pros and cons. I used to own a DLP projector that everyone complained about rainbows and after a month I never noticed. This is a hard decision because I am not sure if a deal like this will come around in a few months when I'm ready to buy. I think I should just patiently surf craigslist for a nice used model. Tough decisions. I will research some more and decide tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
post #2544 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa8949 View Post

I've done returns before with B&H and it was hassle free. Not done a projector however. Fingers crossed I get a good one and not one like WilliamG !
post #2545 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 06:40 PM

B&H is a great company and I've bought numerous camera items from them and customer service has always been top notch. If you're ever in New York go visit their store. It's incredible and probably the most organized business I've ever seen and well worth the visit. I'm probably going to order tomorrow and trying to decide where to order from.  I really like B&H but wondering if I should get the items that Projectorpeople offer. I don't need the HDMI cord as it's already run from where the projector will hang to my receiver. We will need 3D glasses as I have two small kids and know they'll enjoy the 3D movies. First projector for me, new house, with dedicated theater room.  I really wanted the Sony HW50 or HW55 but for the money I think we would be happy with the Panasonic and it was my 2nd choice.

post #2546 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Just ordered this because of the rebate. smile.gif

I will be updating from a Pioneer Pro FPJ1 (JVC RS2 I believe).

Anyone care to comment on the differences I will notice? I am hoping it is really vibrant with colors that pop like LED sets!
post #2547 of 3549 Old 12-01-2013, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wow, that's a pretty awesome price after rebate. A full grand cheaper than a RS46!
post #2548 of 3549 Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 AM

I don't see the free 3D glasses listed now on the ProjectorPeople's website.

post #2549 of 3549 Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 AM

My first AE8000 had bad convergence and focus. The second one has problems with microjudder. Every 10 to 15 seconds the picture lags a bit. Sometimes a fracture of a second and sometimes 2 to 3 seconds. The second one had far better focus and convergence. At first I thought the judder was my equipment or cables. So I bought new cables and had a friend bring over his media player. No matter how we connected any source it showed the same judder. Because I tested thoroughly it took some time and Panasonic will not exchange anymore, because they feel it took too long before I reported it. (This is in Holland, not in the US). So there's my reward for trying to figure out what the problem was... mad.gif

Now I have to send the unit to Belgium to get it looked at and (hopefully) repaired. I guess I must be out of luck on these things.
post #2550 of 3549 Old 12-02-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj41 View Post

My first AE8000 had bad convergence and focus. The second one has problems with microjudder. Every 10 to 15 seconds the picture lags a bit. Sometimes a fracture of a second and sometimes 2 to 3 seconds. The second one had far better focus and convergence. At first I thought the judder was my equipment or cables. So I bought new cables and had a friend bring over his media player. No matter how we connected any source it showed the same judder. Because I tested thoroughly it took some time and Panasonic will not exchange anymore, because they feel it took too long before I reported it. (This is in Holland, not in the US). So there's my reward for trying to figure out what the problem was... mad.gif

Now I have to send the unit to Belgium to get it looked at and (hopefully) repaired. I guess I must be out of luck on these things.
Good luck. Panasonic was less than helpful to me. This was a major reason I looked into the JVC RS46 and posted this mini-review.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page