Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 3508 Old 12-05-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
do acoustic screens hamper sound in any way? this might be a perfect option for me and my room due to the width. To fit a larger screen than 92-100, I would have to build a false wall and put speakers and subs behind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3508 Old 12-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamphear View Post

As for choppiness, was it while watching a film (ie: something shot at 24fps)? A lot of devices have trouble handling 1080p24 content, especially set top boxes and even PCs with certain graphics cards. If it was TV content (ie: 1080p30) then are you sure it was choppiness and not flicker? A bit of flicker is normal as lamps go through a break-in period. You can speed up the break in by putting the lamp on high mode instead of eco.

I don't believe it was a flicker, by flicker I'm assuming the screen would go completely black for a split second?

It was an episode of boardwalk empire, it was a slight choppiness for probably a second and would happen every few minutes or so

post #2613 of 3508 Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

do acoustic screens hamper sound in any way? this might be a perfect option for me and my room due to the width. To fit a larger screen than 92-100, I would have to build a false wall and put speakers and subs behind it.

They attenuate sound a very small amount. Check http://www.seymourav.com/ I think they have some measurements.

If the screen is motorized or can swing out of the way, then you might not need a wall. The screen would disappear when you weren't using it.
post #2614 of 3508 Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 PM

i will buy it,ordered it from Jamestown HT. Its a 120" wide 2.35:1 AT screen made by them using Steward Cinestage XD material.

post #2615 of 3508 Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

They attenuate sound a very small amount. Check http://www.seymourav.com/ I think they have some measurements.

If the screen is motorized or can swing out of the way, then you might not need a wall. The screen would disappear when you weren't using it.

If Im watching a movie on the screen, I would need the screen and speakers. lol

I was just wondering if the screen would interfere with any calibrations etc..
post #2616 of 3508 Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I third the Seymour AT screens. I love mine, and Chris Seymour is quite frankly one of the nicest people to talk to. He has my next screen-purchase business without ANY doubt.

I also recommend Seymour AT screens. It has been a few years, but from what I remember, it was a pleasure to buy and they helped me get the right size for the right amount. I went the DIY route and highly recommend it. A chop saw, wood, felt, and a staple gun is all you really need. From what I remember, I was in the $400 range. To buy that made by Seymour, while I am sure is quality, costs nearly $1000.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #2617 of 3508 Old 12-06-2013, 05:53 AM

I got my AE8000 unit the other day. I was working on basic calibration and checking out the unit since this is my first projector. I noticed the sharpness and focus were not at all uniform once you got to sides of the screen about halfway over from center screen.Here is what I have for vertical convergence, seems like this isn't very good. Horizontal convergence is fine. Any thoughts about returning this unit for another? The first pic is the right hand side of the screen and the other 3 are the left.

post #2618 of 3508 Old 12-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangyuangan View Post

i will buy it,ordered it from Jamestown HT. Its a 120" wide 2.35:1 AT screen made by them using Steward Cinestage XD material.
I'm guessing you mean the Seymour Center Stage XD material. If so, that's the exact screen I purchased from Jamestown. Took a bit longer to arrive than originally stated, so be prepared to stay in touch with them. Other than that, it was easy to assemble and I haven't had any problems. The Seymour Center Stage XD pairs great with the 8000.
post #2619 of 3508 Old 12-06-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokercard View Post

I got my AE8000 unit the other day. I was working on basic calibration and checking out the unit since this is my first projector. I noticed the sharpness and focus were not at all uniform once you got to sides of the screen about halfway over from center screen.Here is what I have for vertical convergence, seems like this isn't very good. Horizontal convergence is fine. Any thoughts about returning this unit for another? The first pic is the right hand side of the screen and the other 3 are the left.

This is why I recommended testing even if not using for several months. I would contact vender and send this back if it were me.
post #2620 of 3508 Old 12-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Liked: 16
Can anyone recommend a screen? I'm looking for a 2.35-2.4 aspect 130"+ screen. It will be used for Games/TV/Movies so there will be a couple lights on during the day. The lights won't be right above the viewing area, but they will be off to the side giving some ambient light (a little, not much). As of now I'm leaning towards getting one of the Black Diamond Zero Edge screens. Can anyone recommend anything else? If not, I'll probably stick with the Black Diamond. Budget is max $4,000.
post #2621 of 3508 Old 12-06-2013, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokercard View Post

I suspect they are all like this. Those pictures show identical uniform focus issues to the unit I demoed before choosing the JVC RS46. Feel free to exchange, but you'll have the same results.
post #2622 of 3508 Old 12-06-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 173
My black friday PT-Ae8000 arrived today. Had a few hours to play with it, first checking convergence, focus and color uniformity ... and overall I'm satisfied. Looks fine to me. Popped in a 3D disk (Jurassic Park) ... and was pretty impressed with the 3D stuff. Not really into 3D, but very watchable.

The other point I was a bit concerned about is the fan sound. In eco I can't hear it really ... no different from the older PT-AE4000 that this is replacing.

The only thing that I absolutely loathed was that stupid lens shift joystick thing. What were they thinking. There was nothing wrong with the lens shift system on the 4000 ... so whoever dreamed that joystick thing up should be let go from Panasonic !
post #2623 of 3508 Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

My black friday PT-Ae8000 arrived today. Had a few hours to play with it, first checking convergence, focus and color uniformity ... and overall I'm satisfied. Looks fine to me. Popped in a 3D disk (Jurassic Park) ... and was pretty impressed with the 3D stuff. Not really into 3D, but very watchable.

The other point I was a bit concerned about is the fan sound. In eco I can't hear it really ... no different from the older PT-AE4000 that this is replacing.

The only thing that I absolutely loathed was that stupid lens shift joystick thing. What were they thinking. There was nothing wrong with the lens shift system on the 4000 ... so whoever dreamed that joystick thing up should be let go from Panasonic !

How do you check convergence? I'm not familiar with that. As for the joystick, I don't mind it. Once I have the projector in place, I'll set it up one time with the joystick and never touch it again.
post #2624 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

There is some depending on perforated like some manufactures or woven lime Seymo. The perforated has a lot the woven not so much only in higher frequency You're audio calibration will be able to fix it on woven. Perforated not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

I suspect they are all like this. Those pictures show identical uniform focus issues to the unit I demoed before choosing the JVC RS46. Feel free to exchange, but you'll have the same results.
mine does not look like that after I Got my focus right it was a white line on blue background with sharp edges
post #2625 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

Ther is some depending on perforated like some manufactures or woven lime Seymo. The perforated has a lot the woven not so much only in higher freqs. Youre audio calibration will bd able to fix it on woven. Perforated not much

I'm thinking either going DIY with Seymour xd or letting James build me a Seymour xd.

Roughly same price by the time I get materials and velvet.
post #2626 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

mine does not look like that after I Got my focus right it was a white line on blue background with sharp edges
You checked at least 9 points, not just the center, correct? Center, right, left, top right, left, center and bottom right, left, center?

What's your build date? so far 3 people have posted in the last week or so with an identical focus uniformity issue...
post #2627 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post

How do you check convergence? I'm not familiar with that. As for the joystick, I don't mind it. Once I have the projector in place, I'll set it up one time with the joystick and never touch it again.
I would like to know this also since my 8000 should be here soon. No screen yet so I'm assuming ill project it on a sheet or the wall.
post #2628 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

post #2629 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a reason that there is a green or bluish green blob in the middle of the picture. This is projected onto a sheetrock wall in my living room just to see if the projector was working or not.

post #2630 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Is there a reason that there is a green or bluish green blob in the middle of the picture. This is projected onto a sheetrock wall in my living room just to see if the projector was working or not.
It's defective, shut it off before you hit the 4 hour limit for returns. It is a sign from the projector gods. A $500 rebate is tempting, but not at this quality level. Try a swap if you wish, but I'd return it and wait until you need one and purchase then...just not the Panasonic. If your doing a 16x9 screen, get the Sony.
post #2631 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's defective, shut it off before you hit the 4 hour limit for returns. It is a sign from the projector gods. A $500 rebate is tempting, but not at this quality level. Try a swap if you wish, but I'd return it and wait until you need one and purchase then...just not the Panasonic. If your doing a 16x9 screen, get the Sony.

Are you saying that the Panny 8000 isn't a good PJ? I always thought they were good units? Did I miss something

and what sony are you recommending?
post #2632 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Are you saying that the Panny 8000 isn't a good PJ? I always thought they were good units? Did I miss something

and what sony are you recommending?
Read my mini-review. I'd look into the Sony HW30, HW50, JVC RS46/x35 or that new Epson.

Frankly, it doesn't make sense to purchase and store electronics, unless its for a short time and you got a good deal (like the $500 rebate). New models release so often, your better waiting until you need it.

I hate to be too harsh, but from what I've seen recently and experienced personally, these Pannys do not hold up to scrutiny. They look good, as long as you don't look to closely.
post #2633 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Read my mini-review. I'd look into the Sony HW30, HW50, JVC RS46/x35 or that new Epson.

Frankly, it doesn't make sense to purchase and store electronics, unless its for a short time and you got a good deal (like the $500 rebate). New models release so often, your better waiting until you need it.

I hate to be too harsh, but from what I've seen recently and experienced personally, these Pannys do not hold up to scrutiny. They look good, as long as you don't look to closely.

maybe it was a blessing in disguise. I haven't researched them much. a couple years back, I saw everyone going with the panny 4000, 7000 etc... I just bought this one because of the great deal.
post #2634 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

maybe it was a blessing in disguise. I haven't researched them much. a couple years back, I saw everyone going with the panny 4000, 7000 etc... I just bought this one because of the great deal.
I would definitely contact your seller about that green blob and get a replacement. Seems very out of character to me. Have had mine for a year, and am very happy with it. Color uniformity, focus, everything looks great for me. It's always a good idea to research products online. Just remember that for every negative review, there are probably 5 positive experiences that never get posted. Just the nature of the Internet. I'm not saying to disregard the negative reviews, just know that there are a great many of us out here who are hilariously happy with our panny 8000.
post #2635 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:

I had a AE7000 and loved it until the red panel started having issues. I did research and tried the AE8000 and ended up with the JVC RS46.

I'm not saying GWCR is guilty of this but many happy users don't notice the issues. I didn't notice the soft focus on my AE7000 for 2 years.
post #2636 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had a AE7000 and loved it until the red panel started having issues. I did research and tried the AE8000 and ended up with the JVC RS46.

I'm not saying GWCR is guilty of this but many happy users don't notice the issues. I didn't notice the soft focus on my AE7000 for 2 years.
No offense taken. There may very well be some convergence or focus issue that might crop up down the road, I just haven't experienced them and have about 500 hours on the pj. We primarily watch movies and HD sports. When I did the initial calibration, I used the Disney WOW disk. Didn't notice any issues. I have had to adjust the focus 1-2 times over the past year (once when I accidentally saved over the 2.35 setting mad.gif), and just used the video onscreen after a good warmup period. If I don't notice it during a movie or TV show, I don't care about it. Not too often (if ever) that I watch white lines on a blue or black background. Not trying to be a d!ck, just saying that under normal viewing conditions, I LOVE this pj! wink.gif
cw5billwade likes this.
post #2637 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

I would definitely contact your seller about that green blob and get a replacement. Seems very out of character to me. Have had mine for a year, and am very happy with it. Color uniformity, focus, everything looks great for me. It's always a good idea to research products online. Just remember that for every negative review, there are probably 5 positive experiences that never get posted. Just the nature of the Internet. I'm not saying to disregard the negative reviews, just know that there are a great many of us out here who are hilariously happy with our panny 8000.

I didn't mean I DONT research anything I buy. I just meant that I haven't been researching very hard on the PJs. Years back, I saw a lot of members using the Panasonics and still are. I just figured it being the updated model and all, plus having a rebate it was a no brainer.
post #2638 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dream, do you sell PJs for a living? I was just wondering how you are so knowledgeable in this field. Not being a dick.
post #2639 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

No offense taken. There may very well be some convergence or focus issue that might crop up down the road, I just haven't experienced them and have about 500 hours on the pj. We primarily watch movies and HD sports. When I did the initial calibration, I used the Disney WOW disk. Didn't notice any issues. I have had to adjust the focus 1-2 times over the past year (once when I accidentally saved over the 2.35 setting mad.gif), and just used the video onscreen after a good warmup period. If I don't notice it during a movie or TV show, I don't care about it. Not too often (if ever) that I watch white lines on a blue or black background. Not trying to be a d!ck, just saying that under normal viewing conditions, I LOVE this pj! wink.gif
And that's exactly my point. If you don't look for problems, you won't find any...unless your nezff (obvious blob)...tongue.gif
Quote:

Dream, do you sell PJs for a living? I was just wondering how you are so knowledgeable in this field. Not being a dick.
I used to sell commercial projectors, Sanyo, Barco, etc. For home theater I was pretty green but I wanted to make sure I spent my money wisely. I loved my AE7000 until I started looking closely at it. When I got the AE8000 I looked closely at it right away and I hated it. I ended up with the JVC RS46 because I have a 2.35:1 screen and needed something with lens memory. When you do your research you will find that Sony stands out as the best all around performer. I recommended the HW50 to my brother, I would have purchased another screen and picked up a HW50 myself but the screen would have been too small to fit in my room. While the HW50 is more expensive than the AE8000 (especially with that rebate) it certainly does not excuse the focus, uniformity and convergence issues with the Panasonic.
post #2640 of 3508 Old 12-07-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And that's exactly my point. If you don't look for problems, you won't find any...unless your nezff (obvious blob)...tongue.gif
I used to sell commercial projectors, Sanyo, Barco, etc. For home theater I was pretty green but I wanted to make sure I spent my money wisely. I loved my AE7000 until I started looking closely at it. When I got the AE8000 I looked closely at it right away and I hated it. I ended up with the JVC RS46 because I have a 2.35:1 screen and needed something with lens memory. When you do your research you will find that Sony stands out as the best all around performer. I recommended the HW50 to my brother, I would have purchased another screen and picked up a HW50 myself but the screen would have been too small to fit in my room.

I will probably only go with a 16x9 screen. What made you hate the 8000? Where is a good place to purchase the JVC? what made you like JVC.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page