AVS Forum banner
669K views 6K replies 781 participants last post by  Dylanski 
#1 ·
The fun has begun. Received mine today and have it set up and running. My fourth projector and first experience with home 3D. Overall, I am delighted with this unit.

I am amazed at how good the 3D looks. I'm projecting 19' to a 140" Carada Criterion screen with the 1.4 gain brilliant white. Room is totally dark with dark walls, ceiling and carpet. The projector is very bright in normal 2D, and looked good in the half hour or so of 3D I watched. I need to buy a broader sample of 3D blu-rays and plan to do so this weekend. I'm using the Panasonic glasses and they seem to work flawlessly. Also, as per many other reports, that joystick lens shift is not great. Fortunately, and contrary to what I have been told, my 8000 seems to have a center detent setting, which eliminates any challenges for me. My PJ is on a shelf, with the lens centered top to bottom and side to side on the screen, so I just lock it in the center detent setting and ignore it. Fine tuning is with the PJ legs and slight sideways rotation of the projecter. I'll report more as I have a chance to spend more time with it over the next several days.

See less See more
#2,302 ·
I will try to get some. I just tried with my iPad and it looks awful so I will have to get out my camera. However there are several screen shots on this forum that are basically the same thing.

I don't have any masking on the sides and don't really notice it. My ceiling and wall behind the screen are flat black. My walls are a medium beige. So reflected light isn't that bad. I planned on getting motorized curtains to mask the sides, but sound treatments are my priority right now.

I also highly recommend painting the screen wall black if you can. It really makes the image pop out and it feels very cinematic

#2,303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldstate  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2280#post_23873070

I will try to get some. I just tried with my iPad and it looks awful so I will have to get out my camera. However there are several screen shots on this forum that are basically the same thing.

I don't have any masking on the sides and don't really notice it. My ceiling and wall behind the screen are flat black. My walls are a medium beige. So reflected light isn't that bad. I planned on getting motorized curtains to mask the sides, but sound treatments are my priority right now.

I also highly recommend painting the screen wall black if you can. It really makes the image pop out and it feels very cinematic

Take your time......no rush. The reason that I'm asking you is precisely due to the fact that you are not using any masking, so I want to have an idea on how you did it. Also the fact that we both have the same PJ also helps.

BTW (sorry for going OT) - I just finally finished some acoustic treatments for my room (here are some pics - see.... I do share too........
)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Reactions: pstas
#2,304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2280#post_23871133

No wonder you can't finish your theater
Yeah, you know those people who say not to hang your pj until the room is done?

BAH! I can deal with the temptation...

DOH!

#2,305 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2280#post_23873023

I just googled TX SR607 and 3d and it appears that it will only pass 1.3a. Perhaps I run the cable direct.

Running the cable direct will work. If you want to get full audio from your receiver while simultaneously playing 3D, you're going to either need a new receiver or a new Blu-ray player. The cheapest way to do it is to buy a twin-HDMI Blu-ray player, so you run one HDMI cable to the projector for 3D, and the other to the receiver for the audio.

Here's one such player, the Panasonic DMP-BDT330:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMPBDT330-Upscaling-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00AYB3OOY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382671577&sr=1-2&keywords=bdt-230

Only bummer is you have to use different input on the projector so you'd have to switch input vs all your other devices I assume go through the receiver and out to HDMI 1 on your projector.

The alternative is to buy a new receiver, which might not be a terrible idea. The 607 is pretty old, now, in terms of the newer tech...

#2,306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2280#post_23872388

Impetigo.....sounds like you're now locked in to the Panny, but just so you know, AVS sells the Sony projectors at very good prices. I talked with Mike recently and he had some interesting options for both A and B stock Sonys (50s and 55s). In the future, give Mike or one of the other AVS guys a call. I don't think you'll be sorry!

Cheers!

Chuck

Thanks for the tip, had no idea. Too bad it's too late as that would have been an intriguing option and I loved my budget AW15 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2280#post_23872395

You might want to check with the yard you are playing in.

Wish I knew! Guess I shouldn't have jumped the gun and cut out the UPC so fast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2280#post_23872620

Interesting that you had uniformity issues that disappeared? What kind of uniformity issues are we talking about? Can you be specific about color/location?

D'oh! Well, hopefully you'll have good luck with this one. There are a bunch of very happy Panny owners in this thread.

Agreed. AVS are awesome. I've chatted with Craig at length, and I hear Mike is equally awesome.

Can you let me know which Blu-ray player model and receiver model you're using?

Thanks, it seems like a good PJ nonetheless!

#2,307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2280#post_23873123

BTW (sorry for going OT) - I just finally finished some acoustic treatments for my room (here are some pics - see.... I do share too........
)

Really amazing!!

I wish I had space to my apartment, so I could build something like this!

#2,308 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2280#post_23873123

Take your time......no rush. The reason that I'm asking you is precisely due to the fact that you are not using any masking, so I want to have an idea on how you did it. Also the fact that we both have the same PJ also helps.

)

Thanks for posting. The accoustic treatments are the hardest thing to explain to my wife. She is a bit nervous about how they will look and thinks everything sounds fine now...which it doesn't .

#2,309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldstate  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2280#post_23874107

Thanks for posting. The accoustic treatments are the hardest thing to explain to my wife. She is a bit nervous about how they will look and thinks everything sounds fine now...which it doesn't .

Do what I'm doing:

- Start with some portable acoustic treatments. I am opting for the GIK acoustics Tri bass traps. They don't need any special mounting, so I told my wife I'll only bring them into the room when needed. I mean, that's what I told her.

- Get a art panel. If your wife thinks it's just a nice picture on the wall she wouldn't mind.

#2,310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t6000e-european-version/2300_50#post_23873123

)

love the panels makes the area look first class

#2,312 ·

Quick question, I just bought an 8000 assuming it would play in 2.35:1 with no black bars, anyone able to tell me if I read everything completely wrong and that it only plays in 16:9 with the option to mask? In light scenes it's not obvious but in dark scene the black bars are very visible and sadly not all the movies I watch are bright and colorful so it kind of becomes an annoyance

#2,313 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka13  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2310#post_23879698

Quick question, I just bought an 8000 assuming it would play in 2.35:1 with no black bars, anyone able to tell me if I read everything completely wrong and that it only plays in 16:9 with the option to mask? In light scenes it's not obvious but in dark scene the black bars are very visible and sadly not all the movies I watch are bright and colorful so it kind of becomes an annoyance

You have read incorrectly, it only gives you the option to zoom. I would surround your screen with black anyway, though I understand this may not be possible.

#2,314 ·
After reading this entire thread, and weighing all the pros and cons, I may (in the near future) decide to retire my 2 year old PT-AE7000u and replace it with the 8000.

I've owned 3 Panny projector models since 2006 (900, 2000, and 7000) and the only trouble that I've ever had was with the 900 (dust blobs) that I was always able to remedy myself.

Projector People (which is where I bought my 7000) seems to have the best deal right now ($200 rebate, 2 pairs of glasses, 3 yr. warranty), but I suspect that an even better deal will materialize as Black Friday approaches. But, if not, I'm sure that sooner or later the price will come down to a point that will push me over the edge.

#2,315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrele  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2310#post_23880517

After reading this entire thread, and weighing all the pros and cons, I may (in the near future) decide to retire my 2 year old PT-AE7000u and replace it with the 8000.

I've owned 3 Panny projector models since 2006 (900, 2000, and 7000) and the only trouble that I've ever had was with the 900 (dust blobs) that I was always able to remedy myself.

Projector People (which is where I bought my 7000) seems to have the best deal right now ($200 rebate, 2 pairs of glasses, 3 yr. warranty), but I suspect that an even better deal will materialize as Black Friday approaches. But, if not, I'm sure that sooner or later the price will come down to a point that will push me over the edge.

The overwhelming consensus is the 8000 is a very small upgrade over the 7000 (it even uses the same panels if I am not mistaken), you would be better waiting, buying a new bulb if need be or looking at a projector a step up.

#2,316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2310#post_23881431

The overwhelming consensus is the 8000 is a very small upgrade over the 7000 (it even uses the same panels if I am not mistaken), you would be better waiting, buying a new bulb if need be or looking at a projector a step up.

Overwhelmingly agree, and that's from someone who owned a 7000 and an 8000.

#2,317 ·
JVC RS46 or Panasonic AE8000?

I'm looking for a projector that has lens memory for my 136" 2.35 screen in a pitch black room. I'm coming from a Panasonic AE7000 which I had a few issues (blob, flicker, real bad 3D). I'm debating the RS46 vs AE8000. I've fully read the RS46 thread and reading this one from the beginning seems a bit daunting.

With the JVC, I'm a bit concerned with the smearing issue (most noticeable on text), the ringing sound some notice and also the dimness that a lot seem to complain about. If I get another Panasonic, I'm worried about flicker, dust blobs etc...

Anyone here switch from a AE7000 or RS46? Anyone have experience with both the AE8000 and RS46?

#2,318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2310#post_23881979

JVC RS46 or Panasonic AE8000?

I'm looking for a projector that has lens memory for my 136" 2.35 screen in a pitch black room. I'm coming from a Panasonic AE7000 which I had a few issues (blob, flicker, real bad 3D). I'm debating the RS46 vs AE8000. I've fully read the RS46 thread and reading this one from the beginning seems a bit daunting.

With the JVC, I'm a bit concerned with the smearing issue (most noticeable on text), the ringing sound some notice and also the dimness that a lot seem to complain about. If I get another Panasonic, I'm worried about flicker, dust blobs etc...

Anyone here switch from a AE7000 or RS46? Anyone have experience with both the AE8000 and RS46?

Most basic question you need to answer is you budget, what content you plan on viewing (2d films, 3d films, games, sports), and the environment you plan on using it in. As above though the ae8000 doesn't seem to be a worthwhile upgrade from the ae7000.

#2,319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...6000e-european-version/2300_100#post_23882030

Most basic question you need to answer is you budget, what content you plan on viewing (2d films, 3d films, games, sports), and the environment you plan on using it in. As above though the ae8000 doesn't seem to be a worthwhile upgrade from the ae7000.
I'm okay with under 3K, but with current deals, the AE8000 (with a rebate and 2 pairs of 3D glasses) is ~$700 cheaper than the RS46 with (3D emitter and glasses).

Budget:

$3000 (with 3D)

Environment:

Pitch Black Theater

136" 2.35 screen

13' viewing distance

16' projector distance

I'd say my usage breakdown is:

50% 2D

30% HDTV

10% 3D

10% Casual game

I'm a bit concerned that the same issues I had with my AE7000 will return in an AE8000...but I'm also concerned of picking up a whole new set of problems with a JVC.

It's pretty sad when I have to make my decision based on which is the least bad. I honestly want a projector I can have until true 4K becomes reasonably priced, something that can take 10,000 hours with a few lamps over the next 5-7 years. I don't think, unfortunately, I'll ever see that. So I want to make the best use of a $3000 budget that I can.

#2,320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2310#post_23882102

I'm okay with under 3K, but with current deals, the AE8000 (with a rebate and 2 pairs of 3D glasses) is ~$700 cheaper than the RS46 with (3D emitter and glasses).

Budget:

$3000 (with 3D)

Environment:

Pitch Black Theater

136" 2.35 screen

13' viewing distance

16' projector distance

I'd say my usage breakdown is:

50% 2D

30% HDTV

10% 3D

10% Casual game

I'm a bit concerned that the same issues I had with my AE7000 will return in an AE8000...but I'm also concerned of picking up a whole new set of problems with a JVC.

It's pretty sad when I have to make my decision based on which is the least bad. I honestly want a projector I can have until true 4K becomes reasonably priced, something that can take 10,000 hours with a few lamps over the next 5-7 years. I don't think, unfortunately, I'll ever see that. So I want to make the best use of a $3000 budget that I can.

From what you have said the jvc I would go with. Personally the JVC projectors are the only projectors that have seriously tempted me away from dlp (to the point I almost bought one). The downside of the jvc is that it won't be as good for gaming, but giving that you are only playing casually and only a small amount at that, then I think this is a very minor issue. You will of course have to make sure the projector suits your throw distance etc.

#2,321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...6000e-european-version/2300_100#post_23882311

From what you have said the jvc I would go with. Personally the JVC projectors are the only projectors that have seriously tempted me away from dlp (to the point I almost bought one). The downside of the jvc is that it won't be as good for gaming, but giving that you are only playing casually and only a small amount at that, then I think this is a very minor issue. You will of course have to make sure the projector suits your throw distance etc.
The RS46 will work for my projector location, but I'm wondering if I can use the horizontal lens shift a bit without affecting PQ. The lens will be 5" or so off center of my screen (136" 2.35 @ 16'). I'd rather not shift everything in my room 5" to the right...

I think I've tentatively decided on the RS46.

#2,322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2310#post_23882353

The RS46 will work for my projector location, but I'm wondering if I can use the horizontal lens shift a bit without affecting PQ. The lens will be 5" or so off center of my screen (136" 2.35 @ 16'). I'd rather not shift everything in my room 5" to the right...

I think I've tentatively decided on the RS46.

I don't have enough experience with the jvc in setting it up to comment (meaning I have never set one up, I have only used those that have already been set up for me) beyond that I would be shocked if five inches caused any issues. Hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer.

#2,323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrele  /t/1432437/official-owners-thread-p...t-at6000e-european-version/2310#post_23880517

Just FYI, that rebate deal ends this week, on 10/31 I think. Of course, the price may drop further or the rebate brought back, but you never know.

#2,324 ·
Anyone who got a spare bulb, where did you get it from??

Will be needing one next year sometime so it's no rush, but I've seen some on ebay from China, not sure if that's where they all come from or what but seems fairly inexpensive, but then again, was worried you get what you pay for? So sound off where you got one and how has it been?

Thanks

D.