AVS Forum banner
669K views 6K replies 781 participants last post by  Dylanski 
#1 ·
The fun has begun. Received mine today and have it set up and running. My fourth projector and first experience with home 3D. Overall, I am delighted with this unit.

I am amazed at how good the 3D looks. I'm projecting 19' to a 140" Carada Criterion screen with the 1.4 gain brilliant white. Room is totally dark with dark walls, ceiling and carpet. The projector is very bright in normal 2D, and looked good in the half hour or so of 3D I watched. I need to buy a broader sample of 3D blu-rays and plan to do so this weekend. I'm using the Panasonic glasses and they seem to work flawlessly. Also, as per many other reports, that joystick lens shift is not great. Fortunately, and contrary to what I have been told, my 8000 seems to have a center detent setting, which eliminates any challenges for me. My PJ is on a shelf, with the lens centered top to bottom and side to side on the screen, so I just lock it in the center detent setting and ignore it. Fine tuning is with the PJ legs and slight sideways rotation of the projecter. I'll report more as I have a chance to spend more time with it over the next several days.

See less See more
#4,118 ·
Just pulled the trigger on an 8000. Couldn't pass up this current deal at $1499.

I'm upgrading from a PT-AE2000 that I've had for 7 years, and 2 lamp replacements. This will actually be my 3rd Panny PT- projector. I was hoping to stretch out until 4k became affordable on projectors, but it may be further off than I hoped. I'm expecting big improvements!

Just ordered a bundle of PS3 glasses cheap from Amazon. (4 for $29) If they don't work out, I'll pursue other glasses too.

#4,119 ·
Thanks. Since it's already mounted, I was able to swivel if over a little and project onto my gray wall and it looks the same. So that is what you would call that issue then? I wasn't sure if it was a convergence problem or focus or what exactly was happening. No matter how low I turn the contrast, I still get that effect. You can really notice it in the menu or startup or in the Directv guide when I pull it up.

#4,121 ·
IS that the WOW calibration disc? I was using it last night. I gotta say that I was thrown to the floor when the Toy Story demo played. I could not believe how vivid, sharp and the detail of the picture. The colors were breathtaking. I have not really watched any animated movies yet other than HTTYD2 and that looked great also. I ordered the Toy Story trilogy last night as I want to watch it full length.

#4,124 ·
Did you try bringing the lamp down to Eco mode?

#4,125 ·
Yep. Unfortunately that is what I had it in most of the time. Tried changed it to Normal mode, tried resetting the projector a couple of times. Nothing seems to fix it. Guess I will be contacting Projector People tomorrow. I have had it a week though so I am passed their 10 hour mark. So I take it that means they won't do the exchange and will have to go through Panasonic??

#4,134 ·
Last I checked, Amazon was selling from Visual Apex, which is an authorized dealer, unless I'm wrong. But yeah BH rocks and is offering a 3 year warranty with it.

Hey where are you guys getting glasses for this thing these days? Are there no name brand ones that will work for a decent price? Unless I can get glasses real cheap I probably won't even worry about doing 3D.

#4,145 ·
Hmmm... better do all your calibration and testing quick. 4 hours goes by fast.

I don't get my 8000 delivered until Monday, but the 8 pairs of PS3 3D glasses I got from Amazon showed up today. For less than $7.50 a pair, I'm really impressed with the construction. It took a little digging for me to figure out that to charge them up, you have to turn their power ON. Hopefully, they take the charge and perform just as well. I have a massive head, and can see what people are talking about with the tightness on the temples. I'll just try the boiling water method to loosen a pair or two up for me.

I have had zero problems with my PT-AE2000 for the last 7 years, so people having problems with their 8000's makes me a bit nervous. Hope I get a good set. (got mine from Projector People too)

#4,147 ·
At first, with some high def broadcasts, I was a bit concerned, but after watching Thursday night football I think it was just the cable source material on the earlier shows. I've watched an entire 3D movie and the football game and am very pleased with the overall performance. This thing is a light cannon, and I have it on ECO not for lamp conservation or fan noise, but because of the brightness. I haven't tried the various display options yet, and just have it on "normal" for now. I haven't seen any pulsating brightness or other anomalies. I'm used to the AE2000, so that's my point of reference.
That was the exact upgrade I made. The AE2000 was a great machine, and I ran it through three lamps (over 12000 hours), but it was time to upgrade. My biggest surprise is the quality of the 3D This is my first experience with home 3D, and I'm amazed at how deep and crisp it looks. I know there are a lot of folks that don't appreciate it, but I'm guessing on a small screen (less than 60"), the effect may not be that great.
There's a lot of people talking about that upgrade in the first few pages of this thread. Seems like it's a pretty huge upgrade from everything I read.

#4,150 ·
Mine seems out of level like the lens needs to be rotated a few degrees, I am a total newb, is there a simple way to adjust the rotation?
Have you adjusted the feet? They are screw-adjustable. Adjust one or the other to level the PJ if on a table/shelf.

Also, be sure to read your entire owner's manual. Lots of insightful information for your particular PJ.

#4,159 ·
Love this projector for the money!

Just picked up an i1 Display Pro and HCFR. First time doing my own calibration and will be using the beginner's guide in the HCFR thread.

Any additional tips that are projector specific for me for those that have already done this? Plan on utilizing Rec709 as the mode to start with.

Any tips are appreciated.

Regards,

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

#4,162 · (Edited)
Here are my issues with my Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector
Slideshow of my focus issue and reddish issue on grayscale calibration images
http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/jvonengeln/library/Panasonic%20PT-AE8000U%20Projector%20Issues

Video of focus issue

I've not had any success in getting warranty service yet, but hopefully armed with these pictures and video I can make it happen. I've called several times and been told it is likely my mounting job (using extreme angles or focus adjustment), or that I have a wall that isn't plum. The reddish tint on grayscale images isn't as bad in person as it shows up on that photo, but my friend who is a THX certified video calibrator said that the red was completely ruining any calibration attempt he could make on the device and I needed to send it back - Panasonic support said that was within tolerance when I sent them the pictures and that I should choose a video mode that didn't show the red so bad. I wasn't that concerened with that because you can't see the reddish on real world content because how often do you have an all gray screen or shades of gray? But the focus issue increasingly annoys me and I'm ready to have it fixed. It's one of those things that once you see it - it bugs you. When I'm watching movies it is unnoticeable, but for games, or PC use, or even some TV (which scores, or tickers, or anything in the bottom right corner - it's not ideal.

I bought mine new from B&H photo back in April of 2014. It should be under warranty for two years, but I've not had even a modicum of success trying to convince Panasonic I have a subpar unit. After multiple calls they always are suggesting something else to try. I did try their last suggestion and determined a shelf mount with the projector right side up would work, because it doesn't use the portion of the lens that seems to have a uniformity issue, but I don't want to use a shelf mount. I bought an expensive ceiling mount and prefer to use my ceiling mount to keep it out of the way. I also know my back wall will vibrate way more than my ceiling because of the bass output by my eight 18" subwoofers. I know this because when bass is playing if I touch the ceiling mount where the projector has been it barely moves, while the back wall is vibrating pretty fiercely. I have no convergence issues with this projector and my convergence tests are 100% true --- so I fear to play the refurb game and get a projector with convergence issues ---- but what I have isn't right --- so I hope Panasonic will make it right. FWIW, Epson had way better customer support than Panasonic so far when I've had to deal with Epson in the past.

#4,163 ·
FWIW, Epson had way better customer support than Panasonic so far when I've had to deal with Epson in the past.
It would be hard to beat the Epson support. After owning a refurbished 5010 for a year, my bulb burned out at 550 hrs even though it had only been used on Eco mode for a movie no more than 2-3 times a week, in a cool basement with no pets or smoking in the house, and with the filter being cleaned on a regular basis. Even though the lamp was technically only warrantied for 90-days (since it was a refurb projector), the Epson support rep immediately offered to either send a new lamp, or a replacement projector, shipped 2-day air. I was probably only talking to the tech for about one minute before she offered to send a replacement.

I just replaced my 5010 with the 8000 since I'm using a scope screen, so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that my Panasonic doesn't need any service support! (I was actually planning to go to a JVC, but the wife doesn't want me to spend that much right now.)

#4,164 ·
Well, I just finished setting up my "refurb" ae8000 and absolutely could not be happier. I put "refurb" in the parentheses because I have seen new projectors that don't look as nice as this one does. $1150 was a STEAL for this piece. Not only that, the convergence is UNREAL. Sharp as a tack, only needed to adjust one foot to get the picture square on my 158" scope screen. did a quick and dirty calibration with two lens memories for 2.35 and 16x9. LOVE that feature. Ordered a crapload of 3d glasses from Amazon so those should be here Wednesday. Looking forward to trying 3D out.

Did I mention I also have an Epson 5030UB in the same room? I am soooooo torn as to which one I want to keep.

#4,165 ·
Wait.........no pics? C'mon man!

LOL...........just pulling your leg. But, if you have a chance.......yeah, share some pics with the folks here for reference on how your unit is performing.

#4,168 ·
Well I set my PT-AE8000U up in a bigger room where I could place the projector about 13' away from a wall. The blooming issue is still very visible. This does not seem to be a common problem so I don't know how I could have possibly ended up with this problem on two different units. I have already ordered the Sony HW55ES but I have this unit that is still under warranty and I'm not sure what I want to do. The idea of calling Panasonic again makes me sick to even think about. I'm almost to the point of wanting to void the warranty to open the thing up to just try cleaning everything I can. I don't think it's the panels because all of the colors are blooming. This is definitely the most frustrating experience I've had as a projector owner.

#4,169 · (Edited)
My AE-8000 arrived today. Being that it's winter, I unboxed it and let it sit for 8 hours to warm up to room temperature, and let any humidity inside evaporate.

Hooked it up, turned on, let it warm up for 45 minutes with various material while I did the initial setup configuration. Then started to eval and dial it in. At first, thought I was seeing problems. 2 primary ones, (1) I set the focus using the built-in lens test pattern, and center looked in focus, but bottom not. And (2) thought I was seeing white bloom. Looked like there might be small haze inside the lens front, like condensation. Kept it turned on to let the heat work.

At the 4 hour mark, I was still testing and calibrating and not sure whether there were problems or not. Had to decide whether to go for a return, but I had to give it a chance for calibration, so I kept going. As I worked and the PJ warmed up with time, the image got even better. I'm upgrading from a PT-AE2000 that I've had for the last 7+ years. The 2000 had come out of the box and needed zero calibration--checked multiple times, and it was right on the money. The new 8000, though... wow, it was way off. Used the Spears & Munsil HD calibration disc. Now I have contrast -11, brightness +1, Color -8, Tint +2, color temp +2, Sharpness +2. I think the wrong contrast had contributed to the white bloom.

Now I've got 8 hours on it, and it's looking real good. Here's my initial impressions:
1. Upgrading from the AE2000, this was absolutely worth it and a no-brainer for the $1499 sale price of last couple weeks.
2. Much brighter than the AE-2000
3. Yes, why go back to a shift-adjustment stick? Cheap, and a step backwards, even from my AE-2000
4. Lamp fan was MUCH louder than my AE-2000. But then I put it in Eco mode, and now it's MUCH quieter than the 2000. Fantastic.
5. For some reason, when switching source inputs, the fan kicks into high gear. Really loud. Then drops back into silent Eco mode with new source. Same thing when the 8000 stays on the same HDMI input, but my A/V receiver switches sources it's sending to it.
6. I still occasionally get the sense there is a bit of white bloom, but not quite sure
7. Occasionally, vivid blues and reds also seem to bloom, but not greens. Like on Sports Center, some shots of Kentucky's blue uniforms had bloom.
8. Yes, I had red-push on my gray scale too, which was odd. Putting the color temp at +2 looks right.
9. Oddly, I'm occasionally seeing some tiny motion judder, like there's a 120Hz motion processor trying to smooth out motion. I didn't think the 8000 was 120Hz.
10. 3D looks good. PS3 glasses worked great in the 5 minute demo I did, especially for the $7.50 Amazon price I paid. They're definitely highly rear-reflective, though. In my pitch black enclosed theater, they were still reflecting ambient light from the rear of the room.

Hopefully everything stays in the positive direction as I get it dialed in and get usage time. But happy so far.

#4,174 ·
9. Oddly, I'm occasionally seeing some tiny motion judder, like there's a 120Hz motion processor trying to smooth out motion. I didn't think the 8000 was 120Hz.

Hopefully everything stays in the positive direction as I get it dialed in and get usage time. But happy so far.
Thanks for your impression! I just wanted to point out that it comes out of the box with Frame Creation on. I was seeing that weird judder too until I turned it off. Maybe you already did that but since you didn't mention it, I thought I would.

#4,170 ·
Huh?

In a pitch black theater there should be no ambient light to be reflected. This makes no sense

#4,172 ·
Ahhh I see what your saying. I don't expereince any of what your talking about (reflection in the 3d glasses from back wall light from display) so I was confused

#4,188 ·
OK, I'm slightly confused. I already have my projector but have not yet mounted it pending completion of the room. I plan to ceiling mount with a 16.5' thrown range onto a 140" diagonal 2.35 screen. I will use lens memory with zoom to transition from 16x9 to 2.35. I had planned to mount slightly above the top of the screen to provide headroom.

I originally read the manual and thought I would be good to go. Page 23 of the manual gives guidance for projection of 16x9 onto a 2.25 screen:
Projection screen size 16:9 in 2.35:1 size*2
Screen Diagonal (SD) Minimum distance(LW)Maximum distance(LT)Height position(H)
1.27 m (50") 1.16 m (3' 10") 2.37 m (7' 9") -0.25 to 0.75 m
1.52 m (60") 1.40 m (4' 7") 2.85 m (9' 4") -0.30 to 0.90 m
1.78 m (70") 1.64 m (5' 5") 3.33 m (10' 11") -0.35 to 1.05 m
2.03 m (80") 1.88 m (6' 2") 3.82 m (12' 6") -0.40 to 1.20 m
2.29 m (90") 2.13 m (7' 0") 4.30 m (14' 1") -0.45 to 1.35 m
2.54 m (100") 2.37 m (7' 9") 4.78 m (15' 8") -0.50 to 1.49 m
3.05 m (120") 2.85 m (9' 4") 5.74 m (18' 10") -0.60 to 1.79 m
3.81 m (150") 3.57 m (11' 9") 7.19 m (23' 7") -0.75 to 2.24 m
5.08 m (200") 4.78 m (15' 8") 9.60 m (31' 6") -0.99 to 2.98 m
6.35 m (250")*1 5.98 m (19' 7") 12.02 m (39' 5") -1.24 to 3.73 m
7.62 m (300")*1 7.19 m (23' 7") 14.43 m (47' 4") -1.49 to 4.47 m

With a 140" diagonal, I fall between 120" and 150".. So if I assume worst case with a 120", it allows for a height position from lens center to bottom of screen of -.6m (23.6") - 1.79m (70.5"). My screen height is 55", so this means I should be able to mount projector up to (70.5"-55")=15.5 " above the top of the screen. I only plan 6" above top of screen which falls in the range.

Reading this thread however, I hear people saying that using lens memory for 16x9 on 2.35 screen means you need to be at or below top of screen which conflicts with page 23 of the manual. Which is right? I'd hate to have to drop the projector...I'll start hitting heads.

TIA for relies.

#4,191 · (Edited)
The people here are correct, and it's not contrary to what you're reading in the manual. That part of the manual has nothing to do with using the lens memory for a CIH setup, it's only talking about projecting one ratio image onto a different ratio screen (and leaving it that way). The heights given in the table are referring to what the lens shift will accommodate. Because of the way zooming works in conjunction with lens shift, if you want to switch between multiple aspect ratios and have each one fit the screen correctly (without having to adjust the lens shift each time) when using zooming and lens memory, the center of the lens not only has to be at or below the top of the screen, it also has to be centered horizontally.

#4,192 ·
My Panasonic Is Blooming!

Is anyone else out there having a problem with white blooming and bleeding on the Panasonic PT-AE8000U? It is happening across the board with all media including the test pattern (see attached). The projector is brand new and otherwise there is no problem. But this is really noticeable. There was some very minor dust during installation so I tried wiping the lens to no avail.

Attachments

#4,193 ·
Is anyone else out there having a problem with white blooming and bleeding on the Panasonic PT-AE8000U? It is happening across the board with all media including the test pattern (see attached). The projector is brand new and otherwise there is no problem. But this is really noticeable. There was some very minor dust during installation so I tried wiping the lens to no avail.

How many hours on your bulb ?