Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 3475 Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is just a general question for the HW50 as I don't know the answer. I posted in another thread but no reply. Thought I would try here.

Can a firmware update be done by the owner for the HW50 or does the HW50 need to be returned to Sony or to a service center for an update?

If it can be done by the owner what is required? I would guess some type of cable and a PC.

It would be nice if it was like the TV's and BD player's and had an option to updated over the internet.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3475 Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anybody know if the mounting holes on the 50 are the same as the sony vw85 and vw90 projectors. Mine is arriving tomorrow from the the good folks at Avs.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #273 of 3475 Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

For my part, I prefer the 2D and 3D on the HW50 over the JVC RS45 I have own. The color and the motion is better on the Sony and the RC is very impressive (use at the minimum setting). As for the black level, the HW50 is not as good as the JVC but very close.
There have been many astute, knowledgeable, well informed and exceedingly discriminating owners of the Sony 95 and competing JVC's who state the 50 is Da Bomb. Art over at Projector Reviews just wrote he prefers the 50ES over the new Panasonic 8000.

The drama and suspense are nearly over. The Mitsubishi 8000 is nice but too dim, and a hassle to purchase. Art points out the 50ES is the first LCoS which can be made to look DLP-like. Pretty impressive!

Since the Reality Creation processing is superior in bringing out the detail, the vast majority of 50ES owners do not need a Darbee. This avoids the external and unsightly wires for the 3D transmitter and Darbee HDMI/wall wart.
The Darbee is ideally suited for projectors without resolution enhancement. This implies the older models Sony 30ES, 95ES and the JVC's with or without e-shift. It would be great if Darbee could license their technology for incorporation into JVC projectors.

Lastly JVC's tradition of releasing last, combined without major improvements must hurt in this highly competitive field.
post #274 of 3475 Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

There have been many astute, knowledgeable, well informed and exceedingly discriminating owners of the Sony 95 and competing JVC's who state the 50 is Da Bomb. Art over at Projector Reviews just wrote he prefers the 50ES over the new Panasonic 8000.
The drama and suspense are nearly over. The Mitsubishi 8000 is nice but too dim, and a hassle to purchase. Art points out the 50ES is the first LCoS which can be made to look DLP-like. Pretty impressive!
Since the Reality Creation processing is superior in bringing out the detail, the vast majority of 50ES owners do not need a Darbee. This avoids the external and unsightly wires for the 3D transmitter and Darbee HDMI/wall wart.
The Darbee is ideally suited for projectors without resolution enhancement. This implies the older models Sony 30ES, 95ES and the JVC's with or without e-shift. It would be great if Darbee could license their technology for incorporation into JVC projectors.
Lastly JVC's tradition of releasing last, combined without major improvements must hurt in this highly competitive field.

Not a bad post but I think complaining about external wlres for a 3D emitter (which can be mounted on the projector) or almost anywhere if RF and wall warts is rather specious. Now I have a full 4K Sony with a much much better lens than on a 50ES and I use the RC in the Sony and use Darbee processing as well. I have tried it both ways and without either and to me on my reference no grain no gain screen the picture looks best with both. My screen, a Snowmatt 100, is invisable when an image is projected on it. That never happens with an HP of any ilk nor does it happen with a Studeotec 130.
The picture is scary good and the detail (try the pitchers' faces on game 7 last night), was scary. Every whisker, every pimple, every drop of sweat. I would never put my eyes that close to someone's face. And the source was 720P FIOS.

Re the new JVCs, eshift2 is substantially better than plain old yesterday eshift (which substantially benefits from the Darblet). Re how eshift2 and the Darblet will mesh is unknown until delivery of the eshift2 machines. Any conclusion here at this point would be invalid since observations have not taken place.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #275 of 3475 Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Sony 3D kids glasses - I've been getting a bunch of PM's on the BR50 kids glasses for the Sony.

If you buy these, you will need a set of filters to make then work with the HW50.

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-part-number-145831421.aspx

1 kit per pair of glasses (2 lenses in each kit)

post #276 of 3475 Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just a word a warning the last time I attempted to get filters for the BR50s, Sony customer service claims that the BR50s are not designed to work with Sony's 3D projectors. I had already received three sets, but I needed more for a party my boys were having. Sony eventually caved but they would only give me 3 more sets even when I offered to pay for the additional ones I needed.

post #277 of 3475 Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Zombie sent me that link a couple of weeks ago, and you can order the filters hassle free online that way.
post #278 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Received my projector last night, upgraded from a InFocus IN76 smile.gif Been waiting a while for this combination of price, performance, and brightness. First impressions were wow, so much brighter than my IN76, really it's a different league (but it should be with all the time that has passed). My RC settings came from the factory @ 20 which seemed to introduce a lot of noise in my less-than-perfect source material (downloaded HDTV programs). I'll try it out with some proper blue-ray later today.

Only complaint is the lack of an extra lamp, and no indication on how I am supposed to receive an extra lamp but I'm sure AVS is going to sort this out for me.
post #279 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilution View Post

Received my projector last night, upgraded from a InFocus IN76 smile.gif Been waiting a while for this combination of price, performance, and brightness. First impressions were wow, so much brighter than my IN76, really it's a different league (but it should be with all the time that has passed). My RC settings came from the factory @ 20 which seemed to introduce a lot of noise in my less-than-perfect source material (downloaded HDTV programs). I'll try it out with some proper blue-ray later today.
Only complaint is the lack of an extra lamp, and no indication on how I am supposed to receive an extra lamp but I'm sure AVS is going to sort this out for me.

I'd appreciate it if you post what they tell you. I haven't had time to call them yet but I'm in the same boat as you.
post #280 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi, I would turned the 'resolution' setting down to 10 or lower. Also in another menu, look for the MPEG setting and turn it on 'low' which can help filter some of the noise you are seeing.

post #281 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM

Hi evilution,

concerning the noise with the RC: try to set the MPEG noise reduction in the expert menu to low and see if that helps a bit. Also the RC-setting of 20 is borderline, even at 0 its quite aggressive, so try values between 0 and 20 for example.

Can you tell us if you hear the buzzing sound in 3D coming from the internal emitter?

Christian
post #282 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Okay, here is the scoop on the buzzing. The noise is caused by the vibrating of two capacitors.
Diagnosis is Magnetostriction:This effect causes losses due to frictional heating in susceptible ferromagnetic cores. The effect is also responsible for the high-pitched buzzing sound that can be heard near transformers on alternating current carrying pylons.

Reminds me of plasma buzz too. At least there is a quick fix for the 50ES

I found this in researching how to upgrade my home theater "all at once".
post #283 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

i gotta upgrade from my infocus tooo... actually 1 generation older then your 76... we only have 900hrs on our 7210 as its rarely used... interested in your thoughts on sports/hdtv...we rarely use for movies,not a gamer, but do watch sports and worried about lag..thanks
post #284 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

Yes, we are working on it. The good news, is you should not need it for a long time. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #285 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Yes, we are working on it. The good news, is you should not need it for a long time. smile.gif

To be perfectly honest, I was planning on selling the extra lamp to offset the price of the projector and bring it into the budget I set for myself. smile.gif So the sooner you guys figure it out the better!
post #286 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 489
That's the first time I have heard of some one doing that. I have heard of people selling extra bulbs for projectors they have sold but never one selling one that came with the projector and selling it at time of purchase to reduce the cash outlay at purchase. Nothing wrong with that but its a first for me and I am a very old dog in this business.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #287 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Well, I take the unit apart and sell the SXRD chip, motherboard, lens, case, fans, video connection ports.... To make up the cost of the unit... tongue.gif

post #288 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Hey, it was a deal I made with the wife. It's how I was able to fit this in the budget we set. smile.gif I know I'll need it down the road, but after calculating how long it'll take for me to use the first lamp to its full capacity I've found that road to be a very, very long one. Think of it this way. If Sony had two versions of the HW50, one for MSRP $3,999 (the one they sell now) and then one for $250 less at $3,749 that includes everything BUT the extra lamp, what would you rather do if you're in a tight budget? At least, that's how I thought of it.
post #289 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My HW50ES should be arriving tomorrow and would like to get thoughts on initial setup of the projector. A full calibration will not be done for a couple of weeks. My room has dark walls/ceiling/floor and the screen is a 10' wide Screen Research CP2 (~ unity gain).

Calibrated Preset: REF
Color Temp: D65
Color Space: BT 709
Cinema Black Pro: Auto Full
Gamma Correction: Should this be "Off" or go with a 2.2 or even a 2.4 setting?
Reality Creation: Resolution - 15 or 20; Noise Fltering - Default setting
NR: Off
MPEG NR: Should this be set to "Off" or "Low" for most BDs?
Motionflow: Film Projection - Off; Motion Enhancer - Off or Low?
Film Mode: Auto 1
Contrast Enhancer: WTF is this? No idea what to do with this setting

I would really appreciate any comments. I am pretty sure on what I will use for most of the settings, however, I am less certain on appropriate settings for Gamma Correction, MPEG NR, Motion Enhancer and Contrast Enhancer.
post #290 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been looking for reviews on the 50, trying to figure out what input lag times one can expect from this unit. Does anyone have any information on this please? I am aware that the HW30 had good response, but I can't just assume it will be equal or better on the 50 if I am going to plunk down 4 grand. thanks!

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
, and
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #291 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

My projector was scheduled by ups to arrive today at my business address. The tracking kept saying by the end of the day today. I have been watching the parking lot waiting for the truck since ups is usually here by now. I just checked the tracking and now it says rescheduled until the end of the day tomorrow. AHHHHH!

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

post #292 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

My projector was scheduled by ups to arrive today at my business address. The tracking kept saying by the end of the day today. I have been watching the parking lot waiting for the truck since ups is usually here by now. I just checked the tracking and now it says rescheduled until the end of the day tomorrow. AHHHHH!

Sorry Dan, that one is beyond our control. frown.gif

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #293 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Art over at PJreviews usually sends the PJs to an associate for lag testing, after the main review has posted, and they'll blog about it later...keep checking over there.
post #294 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry Dan, that one is beyond our control. frown.gif
Its all good Mike. I will say one thing though, nothing on these forums gets by you.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

post #295 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanathin View Post

To be perfectly honest, I was planning on selling the extra lamp to offset the price of the projector and bring it into the budget I set for myself. smile.gif So the sooner you guys figure it out the better!
Will do.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #296 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Zombie - how is the cms in the 50, does it work this year compared to the 30? biggrin.gif. My 50 should be here soon and it will be going up against the 5020 before and after calibrations.
post #297 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Zombie - how is the cms in the 50, does it work this year compared to the 30? biggrin.gif. My 50 should be here soon and it will be going up against the 5020 before and after calibrations.

I was wondering when you were going to show up to the projector party...cool.gif

I haven't tried to calibrate it yet, but will in a few days. I just setup an A/B stack with dual outputs from the Denon 4311. It works well and is syncing both projectors in 3D mode without a problem. I've been covering each lens with a small box lined with black velvet. It's a great way to quickly go back and forth between projectors.

The 5020 is about a week away and curious to see how it compares to the HW50. Join in on the new shootout thread when you have a chance!

post #298 of 3475 Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 PM

I am in the process of setting up a projector set up in my basement and I am interested in either the Sony HW50ES or the JVC 4810, when it's available, and the question I have is, which screen is suggested for either?
I have been looking at the JK Affinity, the Stewart CIMA, and the acoustic transparent Screen Excellence Enlightor 4k from Seymour AV. The room is light controlled with dark walls and a dark ceiling. The viewing distance, if I do 2 rows, is roughly 8-9 and 13.5-14.5 feet back. If I do go with the AT screen I do have room for the speakers behind so that isn't an issue. I have had conversations with Mike at AVS and he really likes the AT screens because how much better the sound effect is where as a local dealer thinks the better picture with the others screens is better option.
Also, I will be doing a majority of movie watching with either projector with a bit of 3d as I think it is pretty cool on my Panasonic GT50 so I think I would like to enjoy it on the larger screen too. Obviously though, I think percentage-wise regular 2d movies would still be in a high 90 percent. There may be some sports but not enough to base my purchase on, and there may be some gaming later on as I have a 4 year old and imagine he will want a playstation or something in the not to distant future. And if I can throw one more monkey wrench in to the mix, I think the 235 scope is kind of a cool setup and that would probably knock me out of the Sony HW50 and have to consider the JVC a bit more. Any thoughts from those of you who have been doing this would be great as I haven't done much with projectors recently.
post #299 of 3475 Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

For my part, I prefer the 2D and 3D on the HW50 over the JVC RS45 I have own. The color and the motion is better on the Sony and the RC is very impressive (use at the minimum setting). As for the black level, the HW50 is not as good as the JVC but very close.
I read a German translated version (always subject to errors) of Kraine stating the new JVC 55 has less ghosting than the 50ES.
post #300 of 3475 Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

I am no Zombie but I have calibrated very easily the grayscal to D65 and the color to REC709. Since the value out of the box are so close to the target, it is really easy to calibrate.

This year, everything seem to work great with the cms...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page