Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3061 of 3445 Old 12-15-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My 3008 sometimes requires me to restart my BD player and then the 3D works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3445 Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWellSpent View Post

Thanks for your reply.  The two output long run cables are Key Digital and the smaller input cables are Proflex.  All say they are 3D - 4K.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the setting on the Blu-ray or the player is defective? Not sure what changes to make on the player to test.  As of now it is all set at "Auto".

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Sometimes the player can be picky with the HDMI handshake. One way to test this is to connect the BD player directly to the PJ. Turn the PJ on first, then the BD player. Can you now watch 3D. If so, you may have to try to to have the receiver on first, with the BD player selected, then the PJ, then the BD player, to get the handshake to correctly work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

My 3008 sometimes requires me to restart my BD player and then the 3D works.

I am using a Harmony Ultimate, so I have no idea which order things are being powered on.  I will try the restart on the BD player as that would be the easiest and if that doesn't work I will give the other power cycle a shot.  Thanks!

post #3063 of 3445 Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316 View Post

..Hey guys a few questions...please excuse me if they have already been covered in the previous 30 pages..

So I have a 2.35 screen and I will be using an A lens. The setting on the PJ should be "V stretch" unless im watching 16:9 material in which case all I do is select "Squeeze" which fits the 16:9 content in my screen with black vertical lines...is this correct? Im hoping I will not have to make any manual adjustments on the PJ. Does this sound right?
?

I'm curious about this too. If you're using a 2.35 screen, is it possible to shrink the image using only the remote so that 16:9 content fits? I watch mostly movies, but it would be nice to flip into 16:9 without fiddling with the lens. I'm also considering keeping my PTAE3000 just for watching 16:9.
post #3064 of 3445 Old 12-18-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Sometimes the player can be picky with the HDMI handshake. One way to test this is to connect the BD player directly to the PJ. Turn the PJ on first, then the BD player. Can you now watch 3D. If so, you may have to try to to have the receiver on first, with the BD player selected, then the PJ, then the BD player, to get the handshake to correctly work.

OK, I also have a Sony BDP-S590, so I brought that down and hooked it up and get the same results.  I did hook the BD straight to the Projector and it will play the 3D disk, so it must have something to do with the Onkyo?  I did manually try powering on the devices in the order you suggested, but once again, I get the "player and/or display does not support 3D playback" message.  Any other ideas?

post #3065 of 3445 Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWellSpent View Post

OK, I also have a Sony BDP-S590, so I brought that down and hooked it up and get the same results.  I did hook the BD straight to the Projector and it will play the 3D disk, so it must have something to do with the Onkyo?  I did manually try powering on the devices in the order you suggested, but once again, I get the "player and/or display does not support 3D playback" message.  Any other ideas?
Sounds like the Onkyo is blocking something. I'd try giving them a call since it does look like that model supports 3D. You may have to play around with the order and inputs etc. until you get it working, or just use the PS3 for 3D.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #3066 of 3445 Old 12-18-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Sounds like the Onkyo is blocking something. I'd try giving them a call since it does look like that model supports 3D. You may have to play around with the order and inputs etc. until you get it working, or just use the PS3 for 3D.

Ugg, after searching over on TX-NR818 forum for updating the firmware, I stumbled across the answer.  I needed to make an adjustment in the picture settings on the receiver and that seems to have fixed my issue.  Thanks again for your assistance in helping me troubleshoot!

post #3067 of 3445 Old 12-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Was the "answer" to set the avr to "direct"?

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #3068 of 3445 Old 12-18-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post

Was the "answer" to set the avr to "direct"?

Doug k

Using what gadgtfreek posted, I set the HDMI output to "Source" and the Pic Mode to "Direct".

post #3069 of 3445 Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 14
Spot on to defeat the processor in the avr.

Thanks for the response!

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #3070 of 3445 Old 12-19-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Well, my HW50 fried out the other day. I was using it and suddenly it just shut off and no picture. I thought perhaps it was the bulb but looking at the flashing red light, it was doing it in a pattern of 6. I looked at the owner's manual and the error listed was around an electrical failure and it said to contact Sony. The first level of support on the phone is a joke. Took literally 60 minutes for the guy to confirm the red light blinking 6 times in a row is an electrical problem. DUH!!!, I told him that 20 times and that I was reading it directly from the owner's manual. I eventually had the call escalated to the "President's office" since they weren't giving a satisfactory solution through the regular channels. They agreed to overnight a new HW50 to me as a replacement. So in the end everything worked out but trying to get to resolution was a pain in the #$^#%#.
post #3071 of 3445 Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Well, my HW50 fried out the other day. I was using it and suddenly it just shut off and no picture. I thought perhaps it was the bulb but looking at the flashing red light, it was doing it in a pattern of 6. I looked at the owner's manual and the error listed was around an electrical failure and it said to contact Sony. The first level of support on the phone is a joke. Took literally 60 minutes for the guy to confirm the red light blinking 6 times in a row is an electrical problem. DUH!!!, I told him that 20 times and that I was reading it directly from the owner's manual. I eventually had the call escalated to the "President's office" since they weren't giving a satisfactory solution through the regular channels. They agreed to overnight a new HW50 to me as a replacement. So in the end everything worked out but trying to get to resolution was a pain in the #$^#%#.

That sucks! Still, good to know they will overnight you a new (refurb?) one without waiting for you to send yours in.

Curious - will that one come with a bulb inside? Or will you be switching the old bulb?

I'd just like to know on the off chance mine gives out one day, though I really hope not.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #3072 of 3445 Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Curious - will that one come with a bulb inside? Or will you be switching the old bulb?
When Sony replaced my unit for the 3D buzzing, it was a completely new unit, bulb included. I'd guess they're sending a refurb unit and not a brand new one, but either way, there's no reason not to include a bulb.

post #3073 of 3445 Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 13
I just got a refurbished Sony HW50 and face somewhat of similar problem in that the unit shuts off sporadically
(sometimes with 3 red lights which indicates bulb issue and sometimes just to a complete shut off)

My interactions with Sony customer support however have been excellent.

We have tried a few things to diagnose (increasing fan speed, removing the HDMI switcher so HDMI goes directly from source to the projector) but the problem remains. They think it is most probably a bad bulb issue - and offered to either replace the bulb or just send me another unit. As a next step I elected to try a new bulb as want to avoid re-setting all the settings I have made, and if that does not work get a replacement. This obviously has taken time and frustrating but I realize things happen.

Tarun
post #3074 of 3445 Old 12-21-2013, 05:06 PM

When image is moving fast, any text becomes blurry, i noticed this while playing gta v with subtitules and on the opening credits of a tv serie... what could be the cause of this?
post #3075 of 3445 Old 12-21-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post

When image is moving fast, any text becomes blurry, i noticed this while playing gta v with subtitules and on the opening credits of a tv serie... what could be the cause of this?

Welcome to the wonderful world of LCoS. If you want a blur free experience you'll need something like a DLP projector or a plasma flat screen TV. LCoS is not the best when it comes to motion performance especially when you're trying to display higher than 24fps material, like video games.

You could enable one of the FI modes on the projector that will help with motion but it can make things look like a soap opera.
post #3076 of 3445 Old 12-21-2013, 06:18 PM

I think i have mistaken concepts confused.gif, because i tryed the same video on my sony tv and i get the same effect on the letters/text ONLY when motionflow is activated and on the projector it's also on, so maybe what i see are artifacts because of motionflow?...confused.gif
post #3077 of 3445 Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 PM

I've had this projector for just over a year now, and tonight I experienced something new. After a few hours of using the unit, the lamp turned off, and the unit blinked green until the lamp turned back on. This happened twice. Is this from overheating? Or does anyone know what it might indicate?

Thanks.

post #3078 of 3445 Old 12-23-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Well, the replacement unit was a refurb..they had told me I would be getting new unit. So I called to complain as the refurb unit had the physical buttons not working smoothly. It took a really hard press to get it to actual "click" and work on all the buttons on the actual projector (power, menu, etc..). So I raised a little stink and now they are sending me a new HW55 instead. They said it will take a couple weeks but looks like I will now be an HW55 owner soon.
post #3079 of 3445 Old 12-24-2013, 07:15 PM

I am curious about this too, my HW50 (which I have only had for a week) has just done the same thing. Room temperature/humidity where my projector is used are all within normal operating parameters as per the manual. I am wondering if this is due to overheating as well. The light blinks green as if the projector has just been turned on from standby mode and then the light slowly appears again. I hope this problem doesn't continue. Oven, if you find anything out about this problem please let me know and I will do the same.

post #3080 of 3445 Old 12-25-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoridium View Post

I am curious about this too, my HW50 (which I have only had for a week) has just done the same thing. Room temperature/humidity where my projector is used are all within normal operating parameters as per the manual. I am wondering if this is due to overheating as well. The light blinks green as if the projector has just been turned on from standby mode and then the light slowly appears again. I hope this problem doesn't continue. Oven, if you find anything out about this problem please let me know and I will do the same.

I've not heard from anyone else who knows what this might be. I have 705 hours on my lamp, but given that yours is new, I doubt it's a lamp issue. I've not experienced it again, so it's possible it was a fluke, or glitch. I would have to think it's more like a safety net if the lamp gets too hot, but there's nothing in the manual about this, and with the holidays, I just haven't had time to call Sony to ask.

post #3081 of 3445 Old 12-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know what each of the settings is supposed to be? For example, what is the difference between cinema 1 and 2. For some stuff I like cinema 1 better, for other stuff I like cinema 2.

Now that the PJ is nice and broken in over 200h I want to calibrate it a bit using the available settings. Any advice?

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #3082 of 3445 Old 12-25-2013, 08:48 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oven View Post

I've not heard from anyone else who knows what this might be. I have 705 hours on my lamp, but given that yours is new, I doubt it's a lamp issue. I've not experienced it again, so it's possible it was a fluke, or glitch. I would have to think it's more like a safety net if the lamp gets too hot, but there's nothing in the manual about this, and with the holidays, I just haven't had time to call Sony to ask.

Mine does this too - did it tonight, in fact. I pull the plug, wait 5 secs, then plug it back in bad power on and it's okay. I think it just does this when it's been running too long and it "loses it's mind".
post #3083 of 3445 Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 PM

Liked: 13
Seems weird. My projector (purchased about. 6 weeks ago) used to sporadically turn off and I would turn it back on. Sony first thought may be a bad bulb and they were sending a replacement but the thing died totally on Xmas eve with 6 blinking red lights (denoting electrical issue) and now is in a perpetual red blink and won't turn on, Sony is sending a refurb replacement and let's see how that goes

Tarun
post #3084 of 3445 Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oven View Post

I was testing the projector again today and I felt the case of the projector while it was running and it felt pretty warm almost hot, and then it did it again. But here is the funny part... I turned it off and once it cooled down I carefully took the lamp out and then put it back into place, tightened all three screws and then screwed the lamp cover down. Now when it is running the case of the projector is barely warm. So i think I wont have any more problems as it must of been overheating.

post #3085 of 3445 Old 12-27-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadhaT View Post

Seems weird. My projector (purchased about. 6 weeks ago) used to sporadically turn off and I would turn it back on. Sony first thought may be a bad bulb and they were sending a replacement but the thing died totally on Xmas eve with 6 blinking red lights (denoting electrical issue) and now is in a perpetual red blink and won't turn on, Sony is sending a refurb replacement and let's see how that goes

I posted the exact same thing above. I had the six blinking red lights about a week ago. I bought my unit when it was first released about a year ago. They overnighted (after getting it escalated...they originally told me 14 days) me a refurb and it has issues of its own. I had it escalated to the "office of the president" and now am getting a brand new HW55 as a replacement. Just an FYI. Good luck.
post #3086 of 3445 Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Does anyone know what each of the settings is supposed to be? For example, what is the difference between cinema 1 and 2. For some stuff I like cinema 1 better, for other stuff I like cinema 2.

Now that the PJ is nice and broken in over 200h I want to calibrate it a bit using the available settings. Any advice?
The built in settings are just defaults from the factory. Not sure if anyone can characterize one vs. another. The great thing is that the PJ saves any settings you make per frequency. For example, for standard 2D Blu-ray I use Cinema 1 and made a few tweaks. Whenever the PJ recognizes that signal, it uses Cinema 1. For 3D, I liked Bright Cinema, and again made changes, and whenever 3D mode is turned on it switches to Bright Cinema.

post #3087 of 3445 Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Liked: 12
Hey guys

I am getting close to 1000hr on my first lamp here, and i started to have bad lamp flicker in low lamp, but could always move to high lamp mode to fix it, well last night, it started doing it even in High lamp mode. I know i have read others on here having similar issues and was curious what the fix was, or if sony had to send a new projector, or if it was the lamp itself causing the issue.

I am going to contact their support but i wanted to check with you all first for any insight. This is incredibly annoying for an MSRP $4000 piece of hardware. I know that there is a film mode that can cause flicker but its been turned off for months so no worries there!

Any help or suggestions always welcome!
post #3088 of 3445 Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

How do you guys switch from high to low lamp? Is there an explicit setting? Or is it just from cinema 1 to bright cinema or something?

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #3089 of 3445 Old 12-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Liked: 12
I've owned a HW50 for three months now and I'm very happy with the image. Sharp and brilliant.

But I have a large problem with stuttering video, particular with 60fps material. Watching netflix from my PS3 (which uses 60fps) is a headache waiting to come. Same from my PC. But the same video is smooth on other display devices. BD playback (in 24fps) from the PS3 or PC is silk smooth.

First I though this to be a problem with Netflix, but then I started to see behind the scenes from The dark knight from BD, which is presented in 60fps. Then I get the same hopeless stuttering. It feels like that the framerate doesn't really add up and the HW50 adds an uneven amount of frames inbetween. The Motion Enhancer on or off gives no remedy.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Could this be a defective HW50?
post #3090 of 3445 Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinse View Post

I've owned a HW50 for three months now and I'm very happy with the image. Sharp and brilliant.

But I have a large problem with stuttering video, particular with 60fps material. Watching netflix from my PS3 (which uses 60fps) is a headache waiting to come. Same from my PC. But the same video is smooth on other display devices. BD playback (in 24fps) from the PS3 or PC is silk smooth.

First I though this to be a problem with Netflix, but then I started to see behind the scenes from The dark knight from BD, which is presented in 60fps. Then I get the same hopeless stuttering. It feels like that the framerate doesn't really add up and the HW50 adds an uneven amount of frames inbetween. The Motion Enhancer on or off gives no remedy.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Could this be a defective HW50?

Sounds like something similar I had with streaming on my XBOX. Try going to the "expert menu" part of the menu and turn of the motion option. Not sure if the European models have the same menu system/options.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page