AVS Forum banner

Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread

383K views 4K replies 444 participants last post by  dave_more 
#1 ·

Specifications and features:
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666490151&langId=-1&XID=O

PDF marketing flyer :
http://www.donaldanthony.com/forum/VPL-HW50ES.pdf

Operating Instructions:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/VPLHW50ES.pdf

Reviews:

Projector Reviews: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/hw50es/index.php

Cinetson: http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiovideohd.fr%2Ftests%2F341-Sony-VPL-HW50ES-0.html

Suggested Settings for closest to D65 and REC709 picture:

Pic Viewing Mode: Reference

Cinema Black Pro (Iris): Auto limited or full

Motionflow: low

Color Temp: D65

Gamma: Off

Color Space : REC709

See less See more
#2,702 ·
Here's a quick question for the experienced guys. I have about 100 hours on my lamp now and would like to start calibrating my projector. I'm using a 2.35 screen and use a Lumagen to switch AR's quickly (zooming method), I would like to use the expensive Lumagen for more than just an AR changing device and I know you can calibrate it.

Sorry, so my question is what's the easiest solution for a beginner who has never calibrated anything? Calibrate the Lumagen and just adjust the brightness and contrast controls on the projector or do a full calibrations with multiple settings on the projector and nothing on the lumagen? I was thinking about doing SpectraCal's 2-week rental program that comes with a temporary auto-cal license to Calman and use the lumagen but I wanted a few opinions.

for anyone who didn't know SpectraCal's has a calibration rental offering (there's the C6 calibration rental and the i1Pro calibration rental for a little more)

thanks,

#2,705 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23774611

Can you use Lumagen to zoom to 2.35:1 in a HW50ES?

I thought you could only use an A-Lens to go 2.35 from 16:9 in HW50ES

Basically, I zoomed the projector out to 2.35 ratio using source material and set up the Lumagen for 2.35 output so material would completely fit my screen size. While the Lumagen can change the AR's from 16:9, 1.85, 2.35 and even NLS, it doesn't actually down zoom back to 16:9 when you press the button to use all 1080p pixels. My image is really a 2.35 image framed in a 16:9 projection with black bars that overshoot the screen on top and bottom, but I don't notice at all. To do a 16:9 image on the 2.35 screen you lose resolution because really you are projecting a 16:9 image that is shooting above and below the screen, but with CIH the lumagen recognized how large your 2.35 screen is really and essentially down converts a 16:9 image and puts it centered onto the screen, so now it really has black bars on all four sides of the image. So in this way of doing things 2.35 images will use more pixels then a 16:9 movie would on my screen. But I use the NLS function a lot and don't mind at all. The cost of Anamorphic lens are outrageous, I'm happy with the sharpness of the image. This is really my way of using a projector that doesn't have lens memory and being able to watch all different ratios.

Hope I stated it well, It's kind of confusing, and I don't really know how to explain it.

#2,706 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700_100#post_23774089

Anyone think there will be a price drop now that the HW55ES has been announced with a $4k MSRP?

Mike's prediction was the HW50 would drop the 3d glasses and extra bulb bundle and go below $3k, like the HW30 did last year.

There's no way the price stays the same as the new model. That just doesn't make sense.

#2,707 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23774831

Mike's prediction was the HW50 would drop the 3d glasses and extra bulb bundle and go below $3k, like the HW30 did last year.

There's no way the price stays the same as the new model. That just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, he told me the same. Makes sense - sell base unit for similar "net" price, take out the extras to reduce price to customers.

#2,709 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23774822

Basically, I zoomed the projector out to 2.35 ratio using source material and set up the Lumagen for 2.35 output so material would completely fit my screen size. While the Lumagen can change the AR's from 16:9, 1.85, 2.35 and even NLS, it doesn't actually down zoom back to 16:9 when you press the button to use all 1080p pixels. My image is really a 2.35 image framed in a 16:9 projection with black bars that overshoot the screen on top and bottom, but I don't notice at all. To do a 16:9 image on the 2.35 screen you lose resolution because really you are projecting a 16:9 image that is shooting above and below the screen, but with CIH the lumagen recognized how large your 2.35 screen is really and essentially down converts a 16:9 image and puts it centered onto the screen, so now it really has black bars on all four sides of the image. So in this way of doing things 2.35 images will use more pixels then a 16:9 movie would on my screen. But I use the NLS function a lot and don't mind at all. The cost of Anamorphic lens are outrageous, I'm happy with the sharpness of the image. This is really my way of using a projector that doesn't have lens memory and being able to watch all different ratios.

Hope I stated it well, It's kind of confusing, and I don't really know how to explain it.

Is your screen 16:9?

#2,710 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23765801

But You still prefer the PS3 glasses over the monsters ones?
I prefer the Monster glasses - they're more comfortable and the color is the best, but the wife likes the PS3 glasses. Lately I've been using the PS3 glasses and they're starting to grow on me.

#2,711 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23777068

Is your screen 16:9?

No, 2.35 screen. I wanted to fill the width of the room.

Reactions: John Schlarb
#2,712 ·
Dmoneyman,

Since no other has responded as yet to your calibration question.

ISF protocols would have you calibrate the PJ first with a source such as a bd player or sig gen. ( the Lumagen set to passthrough )

Then, do any final adlustments with the Lumagens excellent controls. The cms controls Lumagen offers may well allow for better color point calibration, but the sony does allow for color management.

Anyway, hope this helps some.

Doug k

#2,713 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23777311

Dmoneyman,

Since no other has responded as yet to your calibration question.

ISF protocols would have you calibrate the PJ first with a source such as a bd player or sig gen. ( the Lumagen set to passthrough )

Then, do any final adlustments with the Lumagens excellent controls. The cms controls Lumagen offers may well allow for better color point calibration, but the sony does allow for color management.

Anyway, hope this helps some.

Doug k

Thanks,

I did the basics with a WOW disk, now I guess I have to read the Lumagen manual to learn how to put it into passthrough mode and make sure the WOW settings are still correct. After that I will rent a calibration tool from spectracal and use the Lumagens 125 point autocal feature.

Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track before I actually rented the tools and wasted my time and money.

Also, does anyone else see the Reality Creation controls as too harsh even at min? I seem to get alot of noise to where it bothers me and I just turn it off. Instead I'm using MPC-HC on my HTPC with Madvr with a combination of Lanczos+AR/Jinc+AR. I'm also using the Sharpen Complex 2 shader which seems to perform a similar sharpening techique as RC. I get almost just as sharp of an image this way but without as much RC noise that happens when I turn it on. I've got my Darbee set to 40% HD.

#2,714 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23777819

Thanks,

I did the basics with a WOW disk, now I guess I have to read the Lumagen manual to learn how to put it into passthrough mode and make sure the WOW settings are still correct. After that I will rent a calibration tool from spectracal and use the Lumagens 125 point autocal feature.

Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track before I actually rented the tools and wasted my time and money.

Also, does anyone else see the Reality Creation controls as too harsh even at min? I seem to get alot of noise to where it bothers me and I just turn it off. Instead I'm using MPC-HC on my HTPC with Madvr with a combination of Lanczos+AR/Jinc+AR. I'm also using the Sharpen Complex 2 shader which seems to perform a similar sharpening techique as RC. I get almost just as sharp of an image this way but without as much RC noise that happens when I turn it on. I've got my Darbee set to 40% HD.

Curious - how well do the Disney WOW disks work? I would like to calibrate my 50ES as well as some flat panel tvs, without spending a whole bunch of money.

Thanks for any help!

#2,715 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23778692

Curious - how well do the Disney WOW disks work? I would like to calibrate my 50ES as well as some flat panel tvs, without spending a whole bunch of money.

Thanks for any help!

I'd say it's a pretty good disc but it probably won't go into as much depth as a professional calibrator would. To be honest I'm not sure, I'm no expert I bought it because I saw the disc on Amazon for pretty cheap one day. Maybe someone else can help answer your question.

#2,716 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23778692

Thanks for any help!

I have seen many hw50 and a tip to you is use high lumen modus and cinema1 or reference and use the wow disk for contrast and brightness only. then with d65, rec709 on the hw50 but that i think you know.

You get a very god picture. the Sony hw50 have a very god startpicture out of the box in high then with cms, colours. Greyscale is ok.

If you do this you have a great picture. but still to get the best out of your hw50 use a profesional Calibrator with good calibration tools.

#2,717 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23780158

I have seen many hw50 and a tip to you is use high lumen modus and cinema1 or reference and use the wow disk for contrast and brightness only. then with d65, rec709 on the hw50 but that i think you know.

You get a very god picture. the Sony hw50 have a very god startpicture out of the box in high then with cms, colours. Greyscale is ok.

If you do this you have a great picture. but still to get the best out of your hw50 use a profesional Calibrator with good calibration tools.

Thanks for the pointers!

#2,718 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2670#post_23760272

Hopefully!

I watched Star Trek Into Darkness 3D last weekend. I thought it was ok, not great. Seems a little too fake (yes, I know it is fake) to my eyes. My wife actually got a headache (some people experience this).

I was surprised when I went to Best Buy and looked at a LG 3D tv demo. That had passive glasses. A lot of pop on that tv.

I am hoping it is either the movie or maybe I have to trweak my settings some? I gave it a "B" for the effects.

This particular movie looks awful in 3D...I good movie to see for 3D quality on this projector would be the new Spiderman movie...It looks incredible!...I watched the new Star Trek in 3D and was totally disappointed. I actually preferred it in 2D.

#2,719 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries1210  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23786114

This particular movie looks awful in 3D...I good movie to see for 3D quality on this projector would be the new Spiderman movie...It looks incredible!...I watched the new Star Trek in 3D and was totally disappointed. I actually preferred it in 2D.

It actually had rave reveiws for the 3D from the sources I read.

I went back and watched a few scenes again and thought it was not too bad - could have been lighting.

I watched Iron Man 3 in 3D but lost sync 1/2 way through. Is this what happens if the glasses charge gets low? I did not see any fast blinking lights on the glasses frame.

#2,720 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23790552

It actually had rave reveiws for the 3D from the sources I read.

I went back and watched a few scenes again and thought it was not too bad - could have been lighting.

I watched Iron Man 3 in 3D but lost sync 1/2 way through. Is this what happens if the glasses charge gets low? I did not see any fast blinking lights on the glasses frame.

The glasses will lose sync if you move your head from side to side....otherwise, yeah, your batteries are probably low and need a charge. I must have got a bad copy then of startrek 3D because it looks terrible and hurts my eyes to watch this one particular movie...has a lot of ghosting too.

#2,721 ·
My experience was that sync reliability was a function of distance from the screen, at least while I was using the inbuilt 3D sync emitter. I could get reliable sync at about 11ft from the screen but at 16ft, sync would drop out from time to time, enough to completely ruin the 3D experience. Even at the front row, sync would drop out when I turned my head too much away from the screen, although it recovered so quickly as not to be a real issue.

Sync reliability is also a function of your room reflectiveness. My projector is mounted above the screen, and I'm pretty sure that having the emitter in line with screen, as opposed to the (black) wall above it would improve reliability. I did experiment with placing 2 sheets of tin-foil just above my screen (same height as the built-in emitter), each piece about 20" in length. Sure enough I was now able to get reliable sync at my back row. The foil was not visible once the light were turned down for movie watching but obviously they spoil the decor when the lights are turned up all the way. Adding an external IR emitter solved my problem in a more elegant fashion. The external emitter is FAR stronger than the built in unit. i was able to get rock solid sync from 25 ft back and was able to remove the foil sheets. I can even turn my head away from the screen and have the sync persist. I didn't like having to spend the extra $, but I'm very happy with the results.

#2,722 ·
Has anyone figured out if the new VPL-600ES has less brightness in 3D because it lacks the lamp pulsing? I'm considering the move to the 600ES from my

50ES but would be disappointed to loose any brightness.

#2,723 ·
Hi, I'm curious to know if most people keep their electric tensioned screen up or down when not in use. I've been keeping mine down because I didn't want to cause any more wear and tear on the motor than what's needed, but I just now thought that I might be damaging the screen somehow. I'm looking to people who have much more experience with projector's/screens to help me! Thanks!

#2,724 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries1210  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23790621

The glasses will lose sync if you move your head from side to side....otherwise, yeah, your batteries are probably low and need a charge. I must have got a bad copy then of startrek 3D because it looks terrible and hurts my eyes to watch this one particular movie...has a lot of ghosting too.

I think part of the eye strain is the lens flares Abrahms uses. Those bright flashes do a number on my eyes.

#2,725 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23791611

My experience was that sync reliability was a function of distance from the screen, at least while I was using the inbuilt 3D sync emitter. I could get reliable sync at about 11ft from the screen but at 16ft, sync would drop out from time to time, enough to completely ruin the 3D experience. Even at the front row, sync would drop out when I turned my head too much away from the screen, although it recovered so quickly as not to be a real issue.

Sync reliability is a function of your room reflectiveness. My projector is mounted above the screen, and I'm pretty sure that having the emitter in line with screen, as opposed to the (black) wall above it would improve reliability. I did experiment with placing 2 sheets of tin-foil just above my screen (same height as the built-in emitter), each piece about 20" in length. Sure enough I was now able to get reliable sync at my back row. The foil was not visible once the light were turned down for movie watching but obviously they spoil the decor when the lights are turned up all the way. Adding an external IR emitter solved my problem in a more elegant fashion. The external emitter is FAR stronger than the built in unit. i was able to get rock solid sync from 25 ft back and was able to remove the foil sheets. I can even turn my head away from the screen and have the sync persist. I didn't like having to spend the extra $, but I'm very happy with the results.

Good to know. How much is the external transmitter?

I don't need one yet but when I set up my full theater I will.

#2,726 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2700#post_23791955

Good to know. How much is the external transmitter?

I don't need one yet but when I set up my full theater I will.

I have the same issue with the built in IR transmitter and will eventually go with the external as well, unless, I buy the 600ES which has a RF transmitter.

The external transmitter is also supposed to eliminate the high pitched noise that comes from the internal IR transmitter too. Some people notice this, others

do not. I notice this only when seated under or just behind the PJ and during quiet scenes. Most of the time the movie soundtrack drowns out the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.