Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3301 of 3479 Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You probably already own one and don't know it.....I think Disney discs and THX-branded discs may come with THX Calibration routines for your screen....I think they were rudimentary but they got the job done as well as most other calibration discs.......the problem with discs today is they are very 2000's biggrin.gif
Back when you had a DVD Player feeding that pristine content to your HDTV, you bought the disc, calibrated the input between your DVD/BD player and your set. For every other input and source, you were on your own biggrin.gif

How do you calibrate the stream from Netflix for example....when it comes through your PS3...or when it comes through your Xbox...or your Roku....or your TV's Java interface.....etc etc.....

I know Avia and Digital Video Essentials were popular in the mid to late 2000's after HD began to take over the world of DVD's.........not sure where those are today.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3479 Old 03-21-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

How do you calibrate the stream from Netflix for example....when it comes through your PS3...or when it comes through your Xbox...or your Roku....or your TV's Java interface.....etc etc.....
One of the forums here (http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration) has a Calibration video that you can download in multiple formats. I burned a copy to a DVD for use in any of my disc based sources, and copied a version onto a USB stick for my PS3 and WDTV. Was also able to plug the USB key into my newer Plasma TV for calibration. It wasn't exactly coming from the cable box, but I mimicked the settings and then only had to tweak a little bit.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #3303 of 3479 Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

One of the forums here (http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration) has a Calibration video that you can download in multiple formats. I burned a copy to a DVD for use in any of my disc based sources, and copied a version onto a USB stick for my PS3 and WDTV. Was also able to plug the USB key into my newer Plasma TV for calibration. It wasn't exactly coming from the cable box, but I mimicked the settings and then only had to tweak a little bit.

Ah, see there's a solution for everything these days biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads-up, I might even check this out, see how badly off my set top box feed is...

But getting back to my original suggestion to the person just getting into the hobby.....do the basics...and then start enjoying. If you really want to get into the whole thing of ISF Calibrations, THEN you start to open Pandora's box...because with a Projector, your entire ROOM becomes part of the equation. Colors, surfaces, materials....reflectivity of light and sound....and on and on and on......slippery slope. But you might be that guy.....and lots of guys here...are that guy, and I respect their dedication to making sure things are as dialed in as they can.....but it requires a level of interest that surpasses me smile.gif

Sure, my Sony could use a better room to live in where it is now (white ceiling, floors, $250.00 screen).......but its doing a fine job with the room I've thrown at it. if my blues are off or my greens are a little neon.......that's off my radar now.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3304 of 3479 Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Yeah, honestly, I am waiting for my Jamestown screen to come in, but I have been shining my Sony on a tan, beat up wall, and it looks amazing haha.  I am excited to improve even further with a screen and painting the walls etc, but this projector is fantastic and can make just about any surface look like a million bucks.

Rich McCracken likes this.
post #3305 of 3479 Old 03-21-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another option is the THX tune app that is available for iOS and Android devices. The THX website has information on using it to set up your display.
post #3306 of 3479 Old 03-24-2014, 02:22 PM

Liked: 19
I just recently got one of the B-Stock 50ES from AVS and I love the picture. It does seem to be good right out of the box. I was wondering which preset most of you use. I've seen both Cinema 1 and Reference listed as a preferred mode to start with. Can someone explain the difference? I've set the other controls to D65 and Rec.709.
post #3307 of 3479 Old 03-24-2014, 02:27 PM

Liked: 14

I set it to cinema 2. Cinema 1 has way too much motion flow on for my taste that ruins the image with judder etc. 

post #3308 of 3479 Old 03-24-2014, 02:39 PM

I'd really like to know more about what these modes mean. I've owned enough projectors to get the general gist, but it's still helpful to know which modes turn on which enchancements. I actually like an enhanced picture, but I don't want to stray far away from correct color. It may be horrible, but I ended up using Reference over Cinema 1 because I assumed Reference must be more correct because it's dimmer! smile.gif
post #3309 of 3479 Old 03-24-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post

I'd really like to know more about what these modes mean. I've owned enough projectors to get the general gist, but it's still helpful to know which modes turn on which enchancements. I actually like an enhanced picture, but I don't want to stray far away from correct color. It may be horrible, but I ended up using Reference over Cinema 1 because I assumed Reference must be more correct because it's dimmer! smile.gif
They're just presets that someone inside Sony thought should be pre-programmed. Since everyone's room, screen, throw distance, etc. are going to be different, it's up to you to make adjustments, if needed. Start with a preset that you like and adjust from there. I think one of the best features of this PJ (and maybe all modern PJs) is that it stores your changes in the preset BY SIGNAL. For example, if you start with Cinema 1 and change brightness for 1080p, it will save it for 1080p, but allow you to change it for 1080i or 720p, etc. This allows you to start at the same point for all your sources, and make fine adjustments based on your source device/material. I myself used Cinema 2 for normal BD playback, but Cinema Bright 1 for 3D playback, with adjustments in each.

post #3310 of 3479 Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 PM

I finally got to spend some quality time working the projector into my home theater... now much more darkened thanks to tips from the "Once you go Black" thread. I had a wonderful WOW experience!

First I worked on focusing in tighter to get it just right. I know the HW50ES has been dinged because of it's lens, but I found no problem with it. I got a nice sharp focus that brought me down to the pixel grid and was good in multiple parts of the projected image. After that I brought in the alignment to square it with the screen.

Next, I ended up using a calibration disk with the User 1 setting. I don't have a colorometer so I couldn't adjust grey scale, just the standard user controls. The reviewers that said the projector comes out of the box pretty well calibrated weren't kidding! I don't think I changed many adjustments except a little in color. The contrast and brightness were within a point or two of being where they should according to the disc.

Media Center quit working on my Home Theater computer so I used my blu-ray player and put in The Dark Knight Rises.... man what an amazing picture! The contrast and colors were gorgeous! There was only one scene that I thought let me down looking like it didn't have much dynamic range, but the rest of the movie looked amazing! Reality Creation used in carefully measured doses does a terrific job of bringing out detail that would otherwise be missed. I haven't used the RC along with my Darbee yet I'm not sure I need to.

I'm incredibly pleased with this purchase! Especially the deal I got on the B Stock from AVS! I had real upgrad-itis wanting to jump into 4k, but the budget just wasn't there. Now that I've seen what this projector can do I believe it will let me wait out the time for 4k content to come on board and 4k from other competitors to bring the price down. The HW50ES is a real stand-up projector!
buckley44 likes this.
post #3311 of 3479 Old 03-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm incredibly pleased with this purchase! Especially the deal I got on the B Stock from AVS! I had real upgrad-itis wanting to jump into 4k, but the budget just wasn't there. Now that I've seen what this projector can do I believe it will let me wait out the time for 4k content to come on board and 4k from other competitors to bring the price down. The HW50ES is a real stand-up projector!

This has been my experience as well.  Mine is exceptional out of the box and I couldn't be happier.  For the life of me, can't understand how some of us have amazing results and others are less than satisfied and refer to soft images and less than stellar blacks.

Gravity 3D was simply superb....

post #3312 of 3479 Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does anyone have any experience with the Chief Smart Lift mounts and the 50ES? It's a bit of change but would be nice to hide the projector away when not in use.
post #3313 of 3479 Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I've had on again off again flickering issues for a while now, but they seem to be here to stay now. Projector starts up fine, but after a while (no fixed amount of time) the image starts flickering/strobing badly. Changing settings (like bulb brightness) doesn't usually make any difference. I know this is a 'common' issue with these units and Sony support is suggesting I open a repair ticket. Before I do that (and they have me send the unit in and I am without it for a while), is this issue typically a bulb issue or a hardware issue for those who have seen it in the past?
post #3314 of 3479 Old 04-02-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMan01 View Post

I've had on again off again flickering issues for a while now, but they seem to be here to stay now. Projector starts up fine, but after a while (no fixed amount of time) the image starts flickering/strobing badly. Changing settings (like bulb brightness) doesn't usually make any difference. I know this is a 'common' issue with these units and Sony support is suggesting I open a repair ticket. Before I do that (and they have me send the unit in and I am without it for a while), is this issue typically a bulb issue or a hardware issue for those who have seen it in the past?

Just curious how many hours on the bulb?
post #3315 of 3479 Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post

Currently at 1386
post #3316 of 3479 Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 PM

YMMV, but if it were me, I'd send it in to Sony since it's under warranty. Chances are the flicker will go away if it's the common kind of flicker that the lamps in these consumer projectors use, but it *could* be something else, especially as I can't actually see what your unit is doing, so I'd make use of the warranty. If it were out of warranty I'd be more likely to see if you could wait it out.
post #3317 of 3479 Old 04-03-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post

Quote:

Currently at 1386

Quote:

YMMV, but if it were me, I'd send it in to Sony since it's under warranty. Chances are the flicker will go away if it's the common kind of flicker that the lamps in these consumer projectors use, but it *could* be something else, especially as I can't actually see what your unit is doing, so I'd make use of the warranty. If it were out of warranty I'd be more likely to see if you could wait it out.
Before sending it to Sony, I'd try another bulb and see if it's the culprit. Did you get a 2nd bulb when you bought the projector? I've never seen or heard of a hardware problem causing flicker and it seems to always be a bulb issue. (I could be wrong of course, but if you have an extra bulb, it's only a few minutes to change it out) Even if you don't have another bulb, with 1300+ hours on your current one, you're going to want a new one soon so getting a new bulb to try out wouldn't be wasted.

post #3318 of 3479 Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

What ceiling mount works best for it? I need to order today.

Thanks in advance.
post #3319 of 3479 Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Call Mike G at AV Science. He will fix you right up with the best one. I like the Chief RPMA with the dedicated plate, not the universal. I also like to add the later shift brack to avoid having to use Horizontal lens shift in case you lens center is a little off of horizontal center.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3320 of 3479 Old 04-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Before sending it to Sony, I'd try another bulb and see if it's the culprit. Did you get a 2nd bulb when you bought the projector? I've never seen or heard of a hardware problem causing flicker and it seems to always be a bulb issue. (I could be wrong of course, but if you have an extra bulb, it's only a few minutes to change it out) Even if you don't have another bulb, with 1300+ hours on your current one, you're going to want a new one soon so getting a new bulb to try out wouldn't be wasted.

I have the second bulb. Any issues with swapping bulbs, and then swapping back again if the problem is still present - other than the usual precautions about working with bulbs (like don't touch them with your skin to prevent oils getting on them)?
post #3321 of 3479 Old 04-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastargate View Post

What ceiling mount works best for it? I need to order today.

Thanks in advance.

I use this...

Peerless PRGUNV Precision Gear Universal Projector Mount - Black

Quote:

I have the second bulb. Any issues with swapping bulbs, and then swapping back again if the problem is still present - other than the usual precautions about working with bulbs (like don't touch them with your skin to prevent oils getting on them)?

No issues, just the precautions you described.
rastargate likes this.
post #3322 of 3479 Old 04-03-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I use this...

Peerless PRGUNV Precision Gear Universal Projector Mount - Black
No issues, just the precautions you described.

If you ever use a mount with a custom plate, you would probably never go back to a mount with universal arms.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3323 of 3479 Old 04-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

If you ever use a mount with a custom plate, you would probably never go back to a mount with universal arms.

Do you sell one?

Ray
post #3324 of 3479 Old 04-03-2014, 06:16 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastargate View Post

Do you sell one?

Ray

I foresee a PM in your future, now if I could just predict Powerball numbers...
rastargate likes this.
post #3325 of 3479 Old 04-04-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:

I didn't think about the extra bulb. I would definitely try the other bulb before shipping off. Mine is a B-Stock and didn't ship with one, though it still had the 3d glasses included. Can't complain, though, the deal AVS set me up with saved me much more than the cost of a new bulb.

Actually, on the Panasonic AE7000 thread there was a poster with ties to the company Panasonic farms out their repairs to. There was a flicker problem reported in some units of that model, though I never encountered it (the only projector I ever had flicker on was the old AE1000) and the repair tech said there was a problem with some of the early production units and the ballast. Most times though, the culprit is simply the arc travel path inside the bulb hitting a different part of the element and continued use usually eventually works itself out.
post #3326 of 3479 Old 04-04-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I would second that. I use the Chief RPA 020. It's very sturdy with great ways to adjust the projector and keep it where you want it set. I agree a dedicated plate will yield much better results than most universal ones will, at least the ones I've used in the past.
post #3327 of 3479 Old 04-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Hello,

I recently ordered 2 pairs of SONY TDB-BR50 for my kids and they are not working with my HW50ES projector. The two included TDG-PJ1 glasses work fine. I've seen some talk of filters being required on the forums, but I see no mention of such a thing on the SONY website, manual for the glasses or manual for the projector. Please help me.

Thank you in advance
post #3328 of 3479 Old 04-05-2014, 03:01 PM

Liked: 20
Are those glasses IR or RF? RF will only work with an external emitter.
post #3329 of 3479 Old 04-05-2014, 03:14 PM

My understanding is SONY uses IR for all their 3D products. Everything I have is made by SONY.
post #3330 of 3479 Old 04-05-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Their 4k projectors are RF only. The 55 is has an optional rf emitter (not in the states yet) but yes, Sony has RF glasses. I really hate how hard to see what technology they use even. They should have standardized that a long time ago. Anyway those glasses say
Compatible Sony BRAVIA HDTVs
Sony BRAVIA HX800 series
Sony BRAVIA HX810 series
Sony BRAVIA HX909 series
Sony BRAVIA LX900 series
Sony BRAVIA NX810 series
with an optional emitter. Doesn't sound like they work with anything else.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page