1Likes

post #3421 of 3445 Old 06-26-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
I too have those popping noises as it heats up and cools down, I am guessing it's the plastic covers expanding/contracting.
After the first few occurrences (particularly after roof mounting it) where i bursts out of my chair to make sure its not falling down or something I just ignore it.
Lol... yeah, it was a WTF??? moment for me as well when I first heard it but now I hardly notice it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3445 Old 06-26-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone calibrated this projector with ChromaPure and the X-Rite i1 Display Pro 3?

post #3423 of 3445 Old 06-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
Out of curiosity, how many hours are on the bulb?
Where's the best place to get the Sony brand bulb replacements? What is a good price for them? Do knock offs work just as well and if so, can someone recommend some? (I've seen Phillips among others)
post #3424 of 3445 Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131 View Post
Where's the best place to get the Sony brand bulb replacements? What is a good price for them? Do knock offs work just as well and if so, can someone recommend some? (I've seen Phillips among others)
Personally I'd buy an authentic one from AVS, the same place I bought the projector. I'm still on the original bulb however, and still have the included back up bulb to use when I do need one. That means I'm at least a couple years out from needing to buy one so I'm not the best person to ask what they go for.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #3425 of 3445 Old 06-29-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
There's no real way to say.....you could be perfectly happy with the image 10 years from now on your 10th or 20th bulb.......or the panels could all discolor because of a heat buildup for no good reason at all. In the end, the Sony doesn't seem to have a lot of people screaming about Optical Block failure or discolored panels.......the Sony might be the projector worth fixing rather than replacing.
The Calibrator who recently did my VW60 told me that the latest generation of Sony projectors (I don't know which model that would start with) have corrected the panel degradation issue as a result of the Class Action suit, and recommends the 55ES.

I surely hope that's so, as I'm very pleased with the performance of my new 55ES. I can guarantee that if it surfaces again, it'll be the last Sony product I ever buy.

But today, the 55ES is very sweet.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #3426 of 3445 Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

I ran into an issue last night with my HW-50ES and I'm not sure what the deal is. I was watching Jack Ryan on BD from my Oppo 103 and over the course of the movie the projector shut down and rebooted twice. Basicaly it lost picture, I looked up and saw that the projector light was blinking, then it came back online and picture was restored after about 45 seconds or so. This is the first time I've ever experienced this.

I'm approaching 2,000 hours on the bulb, with probably 40-50% of that on high mode. This is my first projector so I don't know if this is indicative that I need to change the bulb, or if something else was going on. The power outlet the projector is on is tied into the same rack mounted surge protector the rest of the equipment is on, however it does have it's own wiring which consists of a simple outlet extension kit from Vanco. I've had it wired this way for at least 6 months or so with no issues, though I suppose I could disconnect it from that outlet and move it over to an existing wired outlet in the home to see if that makes any difference.

Any ideas guys?

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #3427 of 3445 Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Idea #1 : Don't panic. It's happened once.

Idea #1 .5: Make sure the plug is well seated in both the socket, and in the side of the projector, the power cord I mean. Sounds VERY much like a momentary break of a connection in the electrical path.

Idea #2 Thermal Cycling? I don't know how its handled on the Sony......honestly I just realized there is a filter I should probably clean too.....might be worth a vaccum or washing of the filter, whatever Sony recommends.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3428 of 3445 Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
Idea #1 : Don't panic. It's happened once.

Idea #1 .5: Make sure the plug is well seated in both the socket, and in the side of the projector, the power cord I mean. Sounds VERY much like a momentary break of a connection in the electrical path.

Idea #2 Thermal Cycling? I don't know how its handled on the Sony......honestly I just realized there is a filter I should probably clean too.....might be worth a vaccum or washing of the filter, whatever Sony recommends.
1.) Agreed

2.) Checked, no issue found.

3.) Just cleaned within the last 200 hours or so, though I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

Right now I'm just going to keep my eye on it, but if it happens more then it will be a cause for concern. At this point it was just an annoyance.

post #3429 of 3445 Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That's all you can do, check to make sure the connections are secure, monitor the situation unless someone recognizes this behavior as a symptom of something else.

Also, your bulb: At 2000 hours you could have 2000+ more to go, or 2 hours more to go. Bulbs usually dim sufficiently, or start to flicker significantly, sometimes they just fail catastrophically (pop) and then you know its time

If it happens again, it might not hurt to pull the bulb from the behemoth.......inspect it.....re-seat it. If you see any physical damage to the bulb, cracking, bubbling, scorch marks.....make sure you have a replacement handy.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3430 of 3445 Old 07-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

That all sounds logical, and like you said I'm more curious if anything to see if some of the people more experienced and knowledgeable with this projector have seen this symptom before. I've owned it for like a year and a half, but it's the only proble, I've seen. I don't think it's the bulb, it doesn't flicker and it lights my 159" 16:9 Da Lite HP on low mode just fine, so it's not like it's dim.

I'm guessing a weird power culprit, but time will tell. Thanks for the insight!

post #3431 of 3445 Old 07-03-2014, 07:17 AM

Liked: 14
Page 72 of the om relates to different potential failures and what can be done to fix the issues.

When it occurs, count the flashes. Look up the coresponding code and address the issue.

If it is a lamp failure warning, try manually resetting the "lamp hours" in the user menu. That is what I did many times at the store and we got well over 5000 hours on some bulbs.

Doug k
Done Deal DR likes this.
post #3432 of 3445 Old 07-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Good info, although I think I already fixed the issue.

One of the cable boxes in my rack had a failed hard drive. I'm not certain if the failed hard drive was causing some sort of electrical issue with my rack mounted MA surge suppressor, or if it was because my RS232 global cache for my projector is fed from the USB power from that same cable box. In any event I switched out the box with another and have yet to see the issue since. Hopefully good to go, thanks guys!

post #3433 of 3445 Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
You don't need anything like that. Something like this will work just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...RPHJNP3X4A3LJW
post #3434 of 3445 Old 07-05-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm currently not running anything powerful to serve up Blu Ray, honestly, pretty much my Xbox One. I have a Blu Ray player but it keeps crapping out on me.

Does a better player give that much better of a picture? Like an Oppo?

What about a Darby? Is that worth looking into with this projector?
post #3435 of 3445 Old 07-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

The main advantages of a quality bd player like an Oppo is DVD up conversion picture quality, more features, processing power, better support and updates, better integration capabilities for advanced or unique set ups, along with higher quality hardware. Bluray picture quality is going to be virtually the exact same, with exception to Darby enabled units.

I don't have a Darby version (just a regular 103), however I have read others comments that they love the combination of Darby and the HW50. I would like to try it someday, maybe when I retire my current 103 for use in another room I will give it a try... but that won't happen until a new Oppo model comes out which is probably still a while out.

When you're rack mounting a bluray player, the Oppo wins hands down, not even a contest with other units. It's faceplate is an exact match to MA brushed faceplates, and it's seamless. From a couple feet out it just looks like a single panel. Also, the trend in mainstream players from Sony, Samsung, etc, is to make BD players in stupid shapes with controls on top, making it virtually impossible to use in a rack with a faceplate.

post #3436 of 3445 Old 07-05-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post
I'm currently not running anything powerful to serve up Blu Ray, honestly, pretty much my Xbox One. I have a Blu Ray player but it keeps crapping out on me.

Does a better player give that much better of a picture? Like an Oppo?

What about a Darby? Is that worth looking into with this projector?
I'd highly recommend a Darbee with the HW50ES. It will allow you to use Reality Creation at the minimum level and thereby get good sharpening without increasing video noise. Running Reality Creation in this model too high yields an increase in video noise along with the sharpening. The Darbee is better at accentuating the high level video signal than the Reality Creation in the HW50ES is.
post #3437 of 3445 Old 07-06-2014, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I bought the 103d after new years, and as stated without any of the extra processing applied the picture is pretty much the same as my old player, but it is a hell of a lot faster loading bluerays.

I can't say I see all that much from darbee on my 50 inch plasma just fyi.

On the big screen this changes rather drastically in my opionion and the darbee effect can be compared to reality creation, but working on luminance contrast rather than edge enhancement. For most movies I see they work rather well together but occasionally I feel like disabling RC, for example if the image has a touch to much grain. But Darbee is always a welcome adittion.

As mentioned above with darbee RC works just a little bit better and do more with less.

For bluerays with a good picture the two work so well together that I honestly don't feel need to go 4k, and I have seen the vw1000 (also with darbee :-P )
post #3438 of 3445 Old 07-08-2014, 03:04 PM

Just a reply to the projector Losing the picture than coming back on I to have the same issue, every 2 hrs or so it will reboot than come back on, the projector is ceiling mounted, it is in a well ventilated room and the air temp is around 18 degrees so ? I'm going to talk to Sony and see what the go is with this issue, projector is awsome but anoying when playing BF4 and no picture while flying a helicopter lol.
post #3439 of 3445 Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roganslaf View Post
Just a reply to the projector Losing the picture than coming back on I to have the same issue, every 2 hrs or so it will reboot than come back on, the projector is ceiling mounted, it is in a well ventilated room and the air temp is around 18 degrees so ? I'm going to talk to Sony and see what the go is with this issue, projector is awsome but anoying when playing BF4 and no picture while flying a helicopter lol.
Yep that was me, although in my case it had nothing to do with the projector. Hard to say root cause but probably an electrical problem, maybe an issue with my Global Cache boxes that facilitate my control system (iRule). Nonetheless, you are correct... very annoying!

post #3440 of 3445 Old 07-09-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roganslaf View Post

If you have a spare lamp, you might try installing it and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, you'll have to watch movies that are 90 minutes or less !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3441 of 3445 Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
If you have a spare lamp, you might try installing it and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, you'll have to watch movies that are 90 minutes or less !

Oops, you said 90 minutes. Good thing!

post #3442 of 3445 Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Very Funny lol, i am going to check all my devices and see if there is either a loose connection via HDMI or HDMI device i.e. any net turning it off or just causing a problem.
then ill check the Bulb then call Sony.
post #3443 of 3445 Old 07-09-2014, 04:34 PM

Another one for the 'weird stuff category'.
I have two consecutive HDMI handshakes (just handshakes), but this isn't exclusive to the sony, I had them with the old optoma as well, thought maybe it was the pioneer receiver, but they keep happening with my new denon.

Now its such a small issue, it happens aproximately at the 1 hour 40 minute mark, one handshake, and image returns, a few minutes later a second handshake and after this its all stable, no more hdmi handshaking. If I disable hdmi output 1 (tv) instead of running dual outputs i get no handshaking at all.

This happens with any source and with two bd players, multiple game consoles a PC.
My newest running theory is perhaps the Samsung plasma is misbehaving in some manner and triggering these syncs if it is in standby, I have tried exchanging cables but only thing making a difference is as mentioned disabling the hdmi output to the tv.

I have even had it happen while just listening to cd's (the oppo is connected via hdmi) so the only consistency I can think of is when HDMI out 1 is active in the receiver and the tv is in standby..

And I didn't have these handshakes before I introduced the tv...
post #3444 of 3445 Old 07-10-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
And I didn't have these handshakes before I introduced the tv...
How new is the TV? See if it has an HDMI CEC mode and if so, disable it. You won't be able to have your Denon turn on the TV with that off, but I'd guess you're not using that anyway.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #3445 of 3445 Old 07-10-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
How new is the TV? See if it has an HDMI CEC mode and if so, disable it. You won't be able to have your Denon turn on the TV with that off, but I'd guess you're not using that anyway.
Yeah, that is off, forgot to mention it, I have occasionaly used ARC for the Wii but that or anynet as samsung calls it is deactivated througout the chain.
Anyhoo, just me venting a bit, it's barely a luxury problem at most, since it's only occurs so rarely and predictably, with zero escalation.

The tv is actually the only thing I havent replaced over the last two years, but that was the first thing I replaced a just shy of two years ago.
I'l try a different HDMI input on the tv (dont know why I havent that already) but until last week thought it was the pioneer avr that had a hiccup.

Last edited by TorTorden; 07-10-2014 at 07:53 AM.
post #3446 of 3445 Old 07-13-2014, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having problem getting 50p fullhd picture to my screen with this projector.

I have yamaha aventage 1020 receiver, vpl-hw50es, windows 7 x64, gigabyte z87-m + intel i3-4130 and I checked, every component should support 50hz feed, but so far I've been able to get 23p, 24p, 60p picture to my screen.

Every time I go to the graphics setting on my intel drivers and set 50p 1920x1080 and click the ok or apply button, the screen flashes couople of times just like every time when changing the resolution, but it always sets it automatically to 60p mode. Can anyone explain why my htpc is acting like this?

It's not like a super big problem, but knowing it, it gets little bit annoying and at the moment I can not enjoy any 25/50 fps video feed.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page