Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3451 of 3475 Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Hi guys. I am going to enter the PJ word with a DIY screen and looking at a Sony 55ES. I am brand new as all my HT hobby time has been CONSUMED by the audio side besides getting my OppoBD103D and Spears and Munsill video calibration disc. I am after the total immersion package a about 108 inch screen at 9ft can bring. So are there any issues trying to make a 10-10.5ft throw with this PJ? I am in the barbaric days of a living room and not dedicated room. My setup in trying to do an AT screen in a LR without an false wall will be unique but I am confident in drawing up the plans. I really want to get my Center up and "center" for the audio...So I will use a stand and creep the PJ up over the back of the couch a bit.

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3475 Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I am curious about these "popping" noises. The PJ will be like 2.5 from my head so...I did have an AVS member tell me his is extremely quiet and sits directly above him in his beautiful theater room. Also that the fan was quiet. Also would some kind of cooling be beneficial for the life and health of this PJ or is that just being paranoid?

My Setup Thread

post #3453 of 3475 Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I am curious about these "popping" noises. The PJ will be like 2.5 from my head so...I did have an AVS member tell me his is extremely quiet and sits directly above him in his beautiful theater room. Also that the fan was quiet. Also would some kind of cooling be beneficial for the life and health of this PJ or is that just being paranoid?
The popping noises come from the plastic case. As the PJ heats up and cools the plastic expands and contracts and if it does so in just the right spot, you'll get a pop. In my experience, it's about once per viewing and at this point I don't even notice it anymore. As for regular cooling, as long as it's not in a hush box or super close to a wall, normal room cooling should be sufficient.

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #3454 of 3475 Old 08-10-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
The popping noises come from the plastic case. As the PJ heats up and cools the plastic expands and contracts and if it does so in just the right spot, you'll get a pop. In my experience, it's about once per viewing and at this point I don't even notice it anymore. As for regular cooling, as long as it's not in a hush box or super close to a wall, normal room cooling should be sufficient.
Ok cool. As far as it's resting place it will be on a stand open to the room behind the couch. I want all it's beauty exposed to see!

My Setup Thread

post #3455 of 3475 Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Couple questions here.

1. Is there a 55ES thread or is the 55ES just a new model year of the 50ES? 2 questions there...

2. Is there a difference between these two? I think they are the same and the "/B" on the end of the one stands for black. But the price says it's cut from $8,154 to $2,694. Sony says the 55ES is $3,999 suggested MSRP and they go for around 3k avg rom what I have seen.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPLHW55ES...ords=sony+55es

http://www.amazon.com/VPL-HW55ES-170...FQP32D51HKB776

I am guessing just different sellers...

My Setup Thread

post #3456 of 3475 Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I believe the 50 thread just rolled into the 55......and the /b I am guessing more than likely means its B stock, a refurb......

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3457 of 3475 Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
I believe the 50 thread just rolled into the 55......and the /b I am guessing more than likely means its B stock, a refurb......
Ah I see...I think I will stick with A stock. I plan on this PJ being my one for the long haul

My Setup Thread

post #3458 of 3475 Old 08-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I love this projector (having had it for a year and about 500 hours now) but my only issue is with the focus. It's never very sharp, which is most notable when connected to a PC and reading text. For most watching it isn't even an issue but hooked up to a PC it is always a little fuzzy.

Apart from that, I love everything about it. It will also be my PJ probably at least as long as I live in my current house (3-5 years) and by then I can hopefully build a true dedicated room and upgrade to 4k. I don't really see a reason to upgrade in the next few years otherwise for me personally.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #3459 of 3475 Old 08-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post
Question for those that use an anamorphic lens -

Do you know if you can get discrete aspect ratio codes on a harmony remote? I would rather not cycle through all of the aspect ratios. It is a pain when switching back and forth from my mede8er and live tv.

Thanks!
I still haven't found a good solution. Anybody know if Sony has discrete remote codes for aspect ratios?

post #3460 of 3475 Old 08-14-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

So I have a question regarding the reality creation. I seen here it has an effect similar to the darbee processing. I have an Oppo 103D with darbee so I am familiar. Just want to be sure it doesn't have the "soap opera" effect on the image. My brother had a high end Samsung LCD and it had the "soap opera" effect and it was quite distracting IMO.

My Setup Thread

post #3461 of 3475 Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
So I have a question regarding the reality creation. I seen here it has an effect similar to the darbee processing. I have an Oppo 103D with darbee so I am familiar. Just want to be sure it doesn't have the "soap opera" effect on the image. My brother had a high end Samsung LCD and it had the "soap opera" effect and it was quite distracting IMO.

No soap opera affect at all.

I believe that's called MotionFlow.

post #3462 of 3475 Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
No soap opera affect at all.

I believe that's called MotionFlow.
Thanks Not much experience on the video side so terminology is to be learned. Great news

My Setup Thread

post #3463 of 3475 Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help!

Turned on the projector and it started flickering. Turned it off and back on and now I'm getting small red lines flickering all across the screen.

Happens with xbox and tv so seems it's the projector. I've had it for one year.

Any help please?
post #3464 of 3475 Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post
Help!

Turned on the projector and it started flickering. Turned it off and back on and now I'm getting small red lines flickering all across the screen.

Happens with xbox and tv so seems it's the projector. I've had it for one year.

Any help please?
I reset the cables and it seems to be back to normal. Weird, but glad it works now!
post #3465 of 3475 Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

yea sounds like a scare

My Setup Thread

post #3466 of 3475 Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
anyone have any recommended settings for gaming? and do yall run reality creation on or off for gaming?

I use a ps4, xbox, and pc and I feel like the picture is lacking...like it's kinda grainy or fuzzy and i feel like I can't get the best color reproduction out for games. I've had my projector for almost a year now with about 400hrs on the lamp. Looks AMAZING on movies though but I feel like it's potential for gaming could be better and I know it's my settings.

thanks!

post #3467 of 3475 Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
anyone have any recommended settings for gaming? and do yall run reality creation on or off for gaming?

I use a ps4, xbox, and pc and I feel like the picture is lacking...like it's kinda grainy or fuzzy and i feel like I can't get the best color reproduction out for games. I've had my projector for almost a year now with about 400hrs on the lamp. Looks AMAZING on movies though but I feel like it's potential for gaming could be better and I know it's my settings.

thanks!
I use the reference setting for movies as well as gaming. Rc on and set to 20. Lamp set to auto full, lamp set to high, contrast 79, brightness 50, color 50, hue 50, color temp d65, sharpness 20, all expert settings off. And color space BT.709. Games look great with these settings.
post #3468 of 3475 Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
you're settings aren't far from mine really except i use game mode, rc off at the moment, and my color space is different. I figured game mode would help decrease input lag. do you know what your gamma is at?

anyone else with some tips for gaming?

post #3469 of 3475 Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
you're settings aren't far from mine really except i use game mode, rc off at the moment, and my color space is different. I figured game mode would help decrease input lag. do you know what your gamma is at?

anyone else with some tips for gaming?
Game mode doesn't.seem to do much except brighten the picture and make it look pretty bad. I don't have issues with lag using my settings and I play fps games. I will check gamma tonight when I turn on the projector.
post #3470 of 3475 Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is anybody having issues with the lens shift thumb wheels?? Mine used to be nice and smooth, now it seems to "jerky" and will not easily dial in to the wanted screen size.

-thanks
post #3471 of 3475 Old 08-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

thanks!
I use the default "Game" setting for gaming in order to get the minimal input lag and maximum brightness. As little processing as possible.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #3472 of 3475 Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeville View Post
Is anybody having issues with the lens shift thumb wheels?? Mine used to be nice and smooth, now it seems to "jerky" and will not easily dial in to the wanted screen size.

-thanks
Can you clarify, are you talking about the zoom adjustment dial that's around the lens, or the lens shift wheels? My lens shift wheels have always been jerky, actually it alternates between no feedback whatsoever and then clunky feeling, but that doesn't affect picture size at all, only picture position. The lens zoom controls that affects picture size are buttery smooth on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post
I use the default "Game" setting for gaming in order to get the minimal input lag and maximum brightness. As little processing as possible.
Me too.

There have times that I've played FPS games without remembering to put in game mode, and I end up dying repeatedly for no reason only to find out it's the processing lag in the projector causing me to be a hair too slow on reactions. I'm not a pro gamer my stretch of the imagination, but I'm good enough to know when I'm getting screwed in shootouts I should be winning. In game mode it's as good or better than any TV I've ever played on, only gigantic.

(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #3473 of 3475 Old 08-25-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
Can you clarify, are you talking about the zoom adjustment dial that's around the lens, or the lens shift wheels? My lens shift wheels have always been jerky, actually it alternates between no feedback whatsoever and then clunky feeling, but that doesn't affect picture size at all, only picture position. The lens zoom controls that affects picture size are buttery smooth on mine.

Me too.

There have times that I've played FPS games without remembering to put in game mode, and I end up dying repeatedly for no reason only to find out it's the processing lag in the projector causing me to be a hair too slow on reactions. I'm not a pro gamer my stretch of the imagination, but I'm good enough to know when I'm getting screwed in shootouts I should be winning. In game mode it's as good or better than any TV I've ever played on, only gigantic.
I meant the lens shift wheels - not the zoom and focus rings.

-thanks
post #3474 of 3475 Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeville View Post
I meant the lens shift wheels - not the zoom and focus rings.

-thanks
IMO, sketchyist parts of the entire PJ. Especially since while already being sloppy and rough, they also interact to a degree.

The upside is time interval between having to use them. 500 hours for a filter bath.

Doug k
post #3475 of 3475 Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
IMO, sketchyist parts of the entire PJ. Especially since while already being sloppy and rough, they also interact to a degree.

The upside is time interval between having to use them. 500 hours for a filter bath.

Doug k
Agreed. Always found it interesting that the rest of the projector is so professional, smooth, and fantastic and then the shift wheels are cheap and clunky feeling. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect as it is my first projector, but everything else has exceeded my expectations.
post #3476 of 3475 Old 08-29-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Anyone know the size and thread for the mounting holes in the VPL-HW50ES? Finally ready to mount it.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page