Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3451 of 3469 Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I am curious about these "popping" noises. The PJ will be like 2.5 from my head so...I did have an AVS member tell me his is extremely quiet and sits directly above him in his beautiful theater room. Also that the fan was quiet. Also would some kind of cooling be beneficial for the life and health of this PJ or is that just being paranoid?
jlpowell84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3452 of 3469 Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I am curious about these "popping" noises. The PJ will be like 2.5 from my head so...I did have an AVS member tell me his is extremely quiet and sits directly above him in his beautiful theater room. Also that the fan was quiet. Also would some kind of cooling be beneficial for the life and health of this PJ or is that just being paranoid?
The popping noises come from the plastic case. As the PJ heats up and cools the plastic expands and contracts and if it does so in just the right spot, you'll get a pop. In my experience, it's about once per viewing and at this point I don't even notice it anymore. As for regular cooling, as long as it's not in a hush box or super close to a wall, normal room cooling should be sufficient.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
blipszyc is offline  
post #3453 of 3469 Old 08-10-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
The popping noises come from the plastic case. As the PJ heats up and cools the plastic expands and contracts and if it does so in just the right spot, you'll get a pop. In my experience, it's about once per viewing and at this point I don't even notice it anymore. As for regular cooling, as long as it's not in a hush box or super close to a wall, normal room cooling should be sufficient.
Ok cool. As far as it's resting place it will be on a stand open to the room behind the couch. I want all it's beauty exposed to see!
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #3454 of 3469 Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Couple questions here.

1. Is there a 55ES thread or is the 55ES just a new model year of the 50ES? 2 questions there...

2. Is there a difference between these two? I think they are the same and the "/B" on the end of the one stands for black. But the price says it's cut from $8,154 to $2,694. Sony says the 55ES is $3,999 suggested MSRP and they go for around 3k avg rom what I have seen.


http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPLHW55ES...ords=sony+55es

http://www.amazon.com/VPL-HW55ES-170...FQP32D51HKB776

I am guessing just different sellers...
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #3455 of 3469 Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HeadRusch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,843
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I believe the 50 thread just rolled into the 55......and the /b I am guessing more than likely means its B stock, a refurb......

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

HeadRusch is offline  
post #3456 of 3469 Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
I believe the 50 thread just rolled into the 55......and the /b I am guessing more than likely means its B stock, a refurb......
Ah I see...I think I will stick with A stock. I plan on this PJ being my one for the long haul
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #3457 of 3469 Old 08-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
baloo_btru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I love this projector (having had it for a year and about 500 hours now) but my only issue is with the focus. It's never very sharp, which is most notable when connected to a PC and reading text. For most watching it isn't even an issue but hooked up to a PC it is always a little fuzzy.

Apart from that, I love everything about it. It will also be my PJ probably at least as long as I live in my current house (3-5 years) and by then I can hopefully build a true dedicated room and upgrade to 4k. I don't really see a reason to upgrade in the next few years otherwise for me personally.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
baloo_btru is offline  
post #3458 of 3469 Old 08-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
ndskurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post
Question for those that use an anamorphic lens -

Do you know if you can get discrete aspect ratio codes on a harmony remote? I would rather not cycle through all of the aspect ratios. It is a pain when switching back and forth from my mede8er and live tv.

Thanks!
I still haven't found a good solution. Anybody know if Sony has discrete remote codes for aspect ratios?
ndskurfer is offline  
post #3459 of 3469 Old 08-14-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 215
So I have a question regarding the reality creation. I seen here it has an effect similar to the darbee processing. I have an Oppo 103D with darbee so I am familiar. Just want to be sure it doesn't have the "soap opera" effect on the image. My brother had a high end Samsung LCD and it had the "soap opera" effect and it was quite distracting IMO.
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #3460 of 3469 Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
kaotikr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Scottsbluff, NE
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
So I have a question regarding the reality creation. I seen here it has an effect similar to the darbee processing. I have an Oppo 103D with darbee so I am familiar. Just want to be sure it doesn't have the "soap opera" effect on the image. My brother had a high end Samsung LCD and it had the "soap opera" effect and it was quite distracting IMO.

No soap opera affect at all.

I believe that's called MotionFlow.
kaotikr1 is offline  
post #3461 of 3469 Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
No soap opera affect at all.

I believe that's called MotionFlow.
Thanks Not much experience on the video side so terminology is to be learned. Great news
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #3462 of 3469 Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
mbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help!

Turned on the projector and it started flickering. Turned it off and back on and now I'm getting small red lines flickering all across the screen.

Happens with xbox and tv so seems it's the projector. I've had it for one year.

Any help please?
mbuck is offline  
post #3463 of 3469 Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
mbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post
Help!

Turned on the projector and it started flickering. Turned it off and back on and now I'm getting small red lines flickering all across the screen.

Happens with xbox and tv so seems it's the projector. I've had it for one year.

Any help please?
I reset the cables and it seems to be back to normal. Weird, but glad it works now!
mbuck is offline  
post #3464 of 3469 Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 215
yea sounds like a scare
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #3465 of 3469 Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Threefiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
anyone have any recommended settings for gaming? and do yall run reality creation on or off for gaming?

I use a ps4, xbox, and pc and I feel like the picture is lacking...like it's kinda grainy or fuzzy and i feel like I can't get the best color reproduction out for games. I've had my projector for almost a year now with about 400hrs on the lamp. Looks AMAZING on movies though but I feel like it's potential for gaming could be better and I know it's my settings.

thanks!

Threefiddie is offline  
post #3466 of 3469 Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 AM
Newbie
 
Devildriverx77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
anyone have any recommended settings for gaming? and do yall run reality creation on or off for gaming?

I use a ps4, xbox, and pc and I feel like the picture is lacking...like it's kinda grainy or fuzzy and i feel like I can't get the best color reproduction out for games. I've had my projector for almost a year now with about 400hrs on the lamp. Looks AMAZING on movies though but I feel like it's potential for gaming could be better and I know it's my settings.

thanks!
I use the reference setting for movies as well as gaming. Rc on and set to 20. Lamp set to auto full, lamp set to high, contrast 79, brightness 50, color 50, hue 50, color temp d65, sharpness 20, all expert settings off. And color space BT.709. Games look great with these settings.
Devildriverx77 is offline  
post #3467 of 3469 Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Threefiddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
you're settings aren't far from mine really except i use game mode, rc off at the moment, and my color space is different. I figured game mode would help decrease input lag. do you know what your gamma is at?

anyone else with some tips for gaming?

Threefiddie is offline  
post #3468 of 3469 Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Newbie
 
Devildriverx77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post
you're settings aren't far from mine really except i use game mode, rc off at the moment, and my color space is different. I figured game mode would help decrease input lag. do you know what your gamma is at?

anyone else with some tips for gaming?
Game mode doesn't.seem to do much except brighten the picture and make it look pretty bad. I don't have issues with lag using my settings and I play fps games. I will check gamma tonight when I turn on the projector.
Devildriverx77 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off