post #3481 of 3489 Old 10-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131 View Post
Just last night I started having some serious flickering issues. I switched to high lamp mode and it was still flickering badly.

What is recommended that I do? Is this a bulb issue or equipment issue? I really hate the thought of having to send this thing in for maintenance; couldn't be worse time and I'm praying it's just the bulb. The bulb has about 980 hours on it.
Did your projector come with the spare bulb? If possible swap that in just to see if the condition goes away, if it doesn't then it will need to go in for repair. If it does then it seems as though your bulb failed early.

It seems like you're already aware of the intermittent flickering while on low mode given you turned to high and it persisted, I've had it occur rarely while in low mode (which I am most of the time), but mine's always been resolved by turning it to high for a few seconds.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3489 Old Yesterday, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
Did your projector come with the spare bulb? If possible swap that in just to see if the condition goes away, if it doesn't then it will need to go in for repair. If it does then it seems as though your bulb failed early.

It seems like you're already aware of the intermittent flickering while on low mode given you turned to high and it persisted, I've had it occur rarely while in low mode (which I am most of the time), but mine's always been resolved by turning it to high for a few seconds.
Done deal has it perfect. Even if you do not have a spare, buy a new bulb and switch to see if issue is resolved.

If fixed after a new bulb is installed, be aware that it is not necessarily the amount of hours that causes bulbs to fail. More commonly, frequent and many power "on/off" cycles are bulb killers.
post #3483 of 3489 Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
wont turn off

Hi wondering if anyone knows what the problem might be with my sony hw50es sometimes i cant turn it off and it wont respond to the remote or the buttons on the unit happend 2 times
post #3484 of 3489 Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

I am rather embarrassed to say that the issue was actually not even the projector at all. I came home yesterday after work and was prepared to tear the thing apart off the ceiling, but decided I'd turn it on again just for fun to confirm it was still flickering, and it wasn't flickering! I was baffled by it, and proceeded to enjoy my evening of some gaming. At the end of the night, I decided to flip to the cable source to catch the end of the World Series game 6, and the flickering was there again! I became really worried as I'd never seen this flickering before and assumed again the bulb was reacting strangely, perhaps to the change in the settings to the preset "TV" mode? Turns out, the HDMI cord going into the Xbox One was ever so slightly loose which was causing that intermittent signal that looked very similar to what I would imagine a dying bulb would look like.

Extremely relieved! Long story short, thank you for the quick help and I hope this bulb lasts another 1000+ hours!

Also, are there any recommended settings for the brightness/RC/color etc. listed by a forum user that people generally use to maximize bulb life while also maintaining a great-looking picture? Do people generally use the presets provided instead of doing some custom settings? Since I was worried about it, I took a look at the settings for "GAME" last night and realized it sets it to HIGH lamp which is overkill and I'd prefer to keep it at Low setting to preserve the life of the bulb.
post #3485 of 3489 Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am rather embarrassed to say that the issue was actually not even the projector at all. I came home yesterday after work and was prepared to tear the thing apart off the ceiling, but decided I'd turn it on again just for fun to confirm it was still flickering, and it wasn't flickering! I was baffled by it, and proceeded to enjoy my evening of some gaming. At the end of the night, I decided to flip to the cable source to catch the end of the World Series game 6, and the flickering was there again! I became really worried as I'd never seen this flickering before and assumed again the bulb was reacting strangely, perhaps to the change in the settings to the preset "TV" mode? Turns out, the HDMI cord going into the Xbox One was ever so slightly loose which was causing that intermittent signal that looked very similar to what I would imagine a dying bulb would look like.

Extremely relieved! Long story short, thank you for the quick help and I hope this bulb lasts another 1000+ hours!

Also, are there any recommended settings for the brightness/RC/color etc. listed by a forum user that people generally use to maximize bulb life while also maintaining a great-looking picture? Do people generally use the presets provided instead of doing some custom settings? Since I was worried about it, I took a look at the settings for "GAME" last night and realized it sets it to HIGH lamp which is overkill and I'd prefer to keep it at Low setting to preserve the life of the bulb.
Hey, a loose HDMI connection is better than a bad projector any day of the week! Glad the fix was simple (and cheap)!

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #3486 of 3489 Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Hey, a loose HDMI connection is better than a bad projector any day of the week! Glad the fix was simple (and cheap)!
What settings do you typically watch TV or movies on? Do you do anything else on the projector as well?

And where would you suggest getting a new lamp from? I want to be prepared!
post #3487 of 3489 Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What settings do you typically watch TV or movies on? Do you do anything else on the projector as well?

And where would you suggest getting a new lamp from? I want to be prepared!
I've got a couple cable boxes on it, a ROKU 3, Oppo 103, and an Xbox One.

I'm not one to ask on settings as I've never calibrated it. I've tweaked a couple settings and adjust the reality creation depending on the content, but by and large I use the out of the box settings. TV for cable, Reference or Cinema 1/2 for movies, Game for Xbox One. I'm sure a calibration would make a decent difference, but to me it looks quite good out of the box. I keep Game mode on High mode most of the time, and the only other thing I watch in high mode is 3D (which is a requirement). Very rarely I use "Bright TV" mode for TV watching with a lot of ambient light.

I'm still on the original bulb with 3,000 hours on it and still have the original spare bulb. I haven't really looked around for a spare but I'm sure I'll just order one up from AV Science if and when I need one.

Last edited by Done Deal DR; Yesterday at 06:29 AM.
post #3488 of 3489 Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I've got a couple cable boxes on it, a ROKU 3, Oppo 103, and an Xbox One.

I'm not one to ask on settings as I've never calibrated it. I've tweaked a couple settings and adjust the reality creation depending on the content, but by and large I use the out of the box settings. TV for cable, Reference or Cinema 1/2 for movies, Game for Xbox One. I'm sure a calibration would make a decent difference, but to me it looks quite good out of the box. I keep Game mode on High mode most of the time, and the only other thing I watch in high mode is 3D (which is a requirement). Very rarely I use "Bright TV" mode for TV watching with a lot of ambient light.

I'm still on the original bulb with 3,000 hours on it and still have the original spare bulb. I haven't really looked around for a spare but I'm sure I'll just order one up from AV Science if and when I need one.
3000 hours! Wow, that is reassuring to hear. I hope I have that type of longevity with mine; I am fortunate to have a spare that came with the projector, so I'm not in immediate need even if the original bulb crapped out, but was just curious.

And yeah, for the settings I pretty much do the same thing, but often will keep it on Game or Movie 2 for TV (unless I'm watching sports) as that Soap Opera effect ruins everything it touches in my opinion. I find Movie 1 to be too juddery and soap-opera-y as well...I'm not sure if that's a result of the Reality Creation or another setting, but Movie 2 seems to be just about perfect for movies with the very occasional juddery effect.
post #3489 of 3489 Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Just last night I started having some serious flickering issues. I switched to high lamp mode and it was still flickering badly.

What is recommended that I do? Is this a bulb issue or equipment issue? I really hate the thought of having to send this thing in for maintenance; couldn't be worse time and I'm praying it's just the bulb. The bulb has about 980 hours on it.
I have been struggling with the same issue. It comes and goes, it will be fine for a few days and then be horrible for a while. I tried swapping out the lamp for a new one and it made no difference. I need to bite the bullet and just send it in, I am just a little fearful of getting a refurb back with 'acceptable' issues mine does not have, or that it will decide to be fine while they have it. I thought I had it solved a while back when I had the A/C decoupled from the ceiling and it went away for a while only to come back later.

I think I will try the replacement lamp one more time and just send it in if that doesn't fix it. My biggest issue is that I use it almost every day and don't have another TV I can just use in it's place.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page