AVS Forum banner

Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread

383K views 4K replies 444 participants last post by  dave_more 
#1 ·

Specifications and features:
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666490151&langId=-1&XID=O

PDF marketing flyer :
http://www.donaldanthony.com/forum/VPL-HW50ES.pdf

Operating Instructions:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/VPLHW50ES.pdf

Reviews:

Projector Reviews: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/hw50es/index.php

Cinetson: http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiovideohd.fr%2Ftests%2F341-Sony-VPL-HW50ES-0.html

Suggested Settings for closest to D65 and REC709 picture:

Pic Viewing Mode: Reference

Cinema Black Pro (Iris): Auto limited or full

Motionflow: low

Color Temp: D65

Gamma: Off

Color Space : REC709

See less See more
#2,927 ·
I'm tempted. How is the contrast of the HW50 comparing to vw85 or hw20? 3D or brightness is less important to me, coming from the JVC camp of RS45. Thanks.

#2,928 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2910#post_23918178

All these B-stock Sonys, where are the B-stock RS46s and 48s? :p

B-stock JVC's were available all summer. Should start back in March.

#2,929 ·
Anyone else had an issue with some mild white artifacts (I guess like a light snowing type effect) in the picture around 40 mins after turning the PJ on? It's not very noticeable (you can only see it in dark scenes) and it disappears completely within a minute or two. I've noticed it now on 3 or 4 separate occasions (I got around 350 hours on the lamp). I guess I could blame the HDMI cable, but in that case I'd think it would be constant. So I'm thinking it has to be related to the PJ or another device warming up. I do have a few devices in the chain that could be responsible (HTPC, Receiver, Darbee, HW50) but it's a pain to try to reproduce this issue to confirm what causes it.

Any ideas?

#2,930 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagorian  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2910#post_23932840

Anyone else had an issue with some mild white artifacts (I guess like a light snowing type effect) in the picture around 40 mins after turning the PJ on? It's not very noticeable (you can only see it in dark scenes) and it disappears completely within a minute or two. I've noticed it now on 3 or 4 separate occasions (I got around 350 hours on the lamp). I guess I could blame the HDMI cable, but in that case I'd think it would be constant. So I'm thinking it has to be related to the PJ or another device warming up. I do have a few devices in the chain that could be responsible (HTPC, Receiver, Darbee, HW50) but it's a pain to try to reproduce this issue to confirm what causes it.

Any ideas?

Start pulling out devices from the chain to see if you can narrow it down to a certain device. This is the first thing that is going to be needed.

#2,931 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagorian  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2910#post_23932840

I do have a few devices in the chain that could be responsible (HTPC, Receiver, Darbee, HW50) but it's a pain to try to reproduce this issue to confirm what causes it.

Any ideas?
HTPC - is this your only source? Try plugging in a stand alone DVD or BD player and see if you get the same artifact.

#2,934 ·
No more new HW50ES available.

No more HW50ES B-stock available.

#2,936 ·
It's gonna be time to sell my HW50. It's been one of the best projectors I've ever owned for the money, but I think I'm gonna go with the RS4910 as I HAVE to have something new every year. LOL. Too bad the 55 isn't much of an improvement over the 50 and Sony doesn't have a mid level projector this year.

#2,941 ·
..Hey guys a few questions...please excuse me if they have already been covered in the previous 30 pages..

So I have a 2.35 screen and I will be using an A lens. The setting on the PJ should be "V stretch" unless im watching 16:9 material in which case all I do is select "Squeeze" which fits the 16:9 content in my screen with black vertical lines...is this correct? Im hoping I will not have to make any manual adjustments on the PJ. Does this sound right?

Also, I am planing on using the Oppo 103D......will the Darbee cause issues with the HW50 RC software or help?

Thanks!

#2,942 ·
In addition to that should I setup the screen so that 2.40 content fills my screen and mask the edges so when 2.35 is dislpayed it fills the screen eventhough some content would be masked or do I have this backwards or totally wrong? My objective is to not have to move the zoom or any lense type movement at all. I have alway had motorized lens,zoom, etc and do not want to make adjustments to the lens.....any help greatly appreciated!

#2,947 ·
I think most people in this thread only care about calibrated lumens. Save the torch mode for your neighbor who never adjusted his tv out of "demo" mode!

EDIT: just to be clear, a lumen is a lumen. Calibrated lumens just refers to the projector's lumen output when the picture is calibrated to a known standard.

#2,948 ·
yeah thats why this is troubling me so much, in the reviews I read the calibrated picture (calibrated lumens) the Sony was supposed to be the brighter projector. Hell if it was just lumens I was after I would have bought a Optima with 4k lumens. Even the Epson which rate lumens higher actually ends up with less than both the JVC and Sony calibrated.

Are the calculators on projector central trustworthy? It sure does seem like they are not to me because everywhere else I hear a different story on the HW50

#2,949 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2940#post_23937043

You know what they say - " when one door closes, another one opens ". Hello HW55 !

Thanks to Mike for setting me up a package deal on the new HW55ES. Can't wait to setup my first home theater!

#2,950 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisserda  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2940#post_23941824

Thanks to Mike for setting me up a package deal on the new HW55ES. Can't wait to setup my first home theater!

You are welcome.

#2,951 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316  /t/1432654/official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread/2940#post_23941345

yeah thats why this is troubling me so much, in the reviews I read the calibrated picture (calibrated lumens) the Sony was supposed to be the brighter projector. Hell if it was just lumens I was after I would have bought a Optima with 4k lumens. Even the Epson which rate lumens higher actually ends up with less than both the JVC and Sony calibrated.

Are the calculators on projector central trustworthy? It sure does seem like they are not to me because everywhere else I hear a different story on the HW50

I wouldn't totally trust the calculator.

Here is from Art...now this is against the RS46...but still...

"No contest, calibrated, the Sony HW50 projector crushes the other two projectors in terms of brightness. The Sony's 992 lumens calibrated, easily beats out the Epson at 678 lumens, and the similarly bright JVC with 703 (about 5% brighter). OK, an extra 60% brighter, isn't night and day, but it is the difference between being the same brightness on a 100" screen for the JVC and Epson, as a about a 125-130" diagonal for the Sony."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.