Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 119 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #3541 of 3551 Old 03-16-2015, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
jkasanic,

U can fix this gamma droop using Sony's Image Director software. U will also realize that if u select rec709 color space u will have undersaturated colors. U will need to use the wide color space and the in built cms to fix the colors. There is a thread in hifi.de forum talking about this gamma droop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3551 Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post
jkasanic,

U can fix this gamma droop using Sony's Image Director software. U will also realize that if u select rec709 color space u will have undersaturated colors. U will need to use the wide color space and the in built cms to fix the colors. There is a thread in hifi.de forum talking about this gamma droop.
Do you have any links?
post #3543 of 3551 Old 03-16-2015, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohobbit View Post
Hi there from Germany,

we are having some issues with shrinking color spaces and all colors drifting towards blue with Sony HW50 and also VW90/95 and also the gamma value goes down, even at only a few hundred hours. It seems to be an ongoing process and after a while you won't be able to even recalibrate the colors to the Rec709 colorspace, and even with gamma setting 2.6 in the menu you can't reach at least 2.2.
Some projectors also seem to lose native on/off-contrast.

Almost every HW50 that has been measured seems to have these problems. We were wondering if this is not an issue in the US or elsewhere?
I think that here at AVS there are also many users that do have calibration equipment and measure their projector from time to time?
Did you never encounter some problems?

Also Ekki Schmidt from cine4home has investigated the problem. His first guess was that the color filters degrade but the funny thing is that the native color space (well actually there isn't realy a native colorspace at the HW50 Ekki said) seem to remain and not drift towards blue. So his last guess was that it may have s.th. to do with the blue gamma and may be corrected with software.
The big problem is that the Sony Support did nothing at almost all cases and returned the projector with the statement that this would be normal wear...! (after a few hundred hours!!)
Ekki Schmidt also thinks that it has not so much to do with the amount of hours that the pj was running but with the total age of the projector.
Also it seems to have nothing to do with the lamp because Ekki tested this also with a new lamp and other users did the same with no result.

There is a big thread in german hifi-forum about that issue: http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?a...4&thread=13697

I can not translate everything for you, but look at the measurements that were posted.
I measured a HW50 of a friend of mine twice and could document that the problem is ongoing, look at these measurements: (I'm not sure if you can enlarge the pictures when you're not a member of hifi-forum): http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?a...postID=931#931
If this drift towards blue will be ongoing we won't be able to recalibrate the pj!!
jkasanic,

Pls see the quoted post here in this thread.
jkasanic likes this.
post #3544 of 3551 Old 04-05-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am experiencing a quite good amount of flicker in low lamp, like in this videos:

In high mode it's fine.

I run all the time on low and while it happened sometimes before, switching to high for a few mints solved it, but now seems permanently.

I tryed running high for around 15h, but like i said it still flickers again as soon as switching to low.

Lamp has around 700h, is the lamp? Or something wrong with the unit? If it were because of bad ballast/power supply, would it do it in high mode too?
post #3545 of 3551 Old 04-05-2015, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post
I am experiencing a quite good amount of flicker in low lamp, like in this videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcbfPkaMlo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCENH9k0giw

In high mode it's fine.

I run all the time on low and while it happened sometimes before, switching to high for a few mints solved it, but now seems permanently.

I tryed running high for around 15h, but like i said it still flickers again as soon as switching to low.

Lamp has around 700h, is the lamp? Or something wrong with the unit? If it were because of bad ballast/power supply, would it do it in high mode too?
My recommendation is to run it in in high for a good number of hours (try 30-50 hours). I had/have the same issue. Switching it to high would solve it for that run, but after a few hours of running low, it would flicker again (HW50ES). After running it for a good number of hours in high, I've now used it ~15 hours in low, and it's so far, fine. It's likely a lamp issue.

I can't really see how it's flickering in your video. Is your flickering a very constant, rhythmic flickering? From the bottom video it looks.... sporadic/not constant. Mine is/was a very constant/consistent flicker in low lamp. If yours is something different, it might be a different issue...

Last edited by WilliamG; 04-05-2015 at 11:12 PM.
post #3546 of 3551 Old 04-06-2015, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcbfPkaMlo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCENH9k0giw

In high mode it's fine.

Rather hard to see on my computer screen, and the camera only picks up 1\3 of the flickers, I do recognise it from my own HW50.

Mine has had this flicker in low mode almost since I got it with 200 hours on the bulb, started noticing it after 220-230 or so.
(bought it slightly used) setting to high does also nothing, it starts flickering again immediately when I set back to low, in short I have been using high mode since I noticed it.

Running in high for a bit sorts it for most, but it certainly not unheard off that it doesn't. As it seem we both are subjected too here.

As far as I can tell, Sony intended for the hw50 to be run in high, and the 2000'ish hour lifespan of the bulb is for usage in high mode, and the factory color settings intend for high brightness.

I planned to replace around 1400 hours regardless and have budgeted for just that.
I expected to reach that already by end of fall last year, but as it turns out I'm still just shy of 700 hours on this first bulb and with a mere 90" screen, I'm not lacking for brightness.

It's one semi serious flaw with these models, but I doubt they will sort it unless the completely swap lamp type.
post #3547 of 3551 Old 04-19-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
Rather hard to see on my computer screen, and the camera only picks up 1\3 of the flickers, I do recognise it from my own HW50.

Mine has had this flicker in low mode almost since I got it with 200 hours on the bulb, started noticing it after 220-230 or so.
(bought it slightly used) setting to high does also nothing, it starts flickering again immediately when I set back to low, in short I have been using high mode since I noticed it.

Running in high for a bit sorts it for most, but it certainly not unheard off that it doesn't. As it seem we both are subjected too here.

As far as I can tell, Sony intended for the hw50 to be run in high, and the 2000'ish hour lifespan of the bulb is for usage in high mode, and the factory color settings intend for high brightness.

I planned to replace around 1400 hours regardless and have budgeted for just that.
I expected to reach that already by end of fall last year, but as it turns out I'm still just shy of 700 hours on this first bulb and with a mere 90" screen, I'm not lacking for brightness.

It's one semi serious flaw with these models, but I doubt they will sort it unless the completely swap lamp type.
I tend to agree. I can't run in low lamp either at this point - about 800 hours in. I have to leave it in high since running in low (even after letting it run high for 100 hours) also brings about the flicker.
post #3548 of 3551 Old 04-21-2015, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just cleaned the filter for the 7th time... 3500 + on the clock. Reset at three k to eliminate "replace lamp" message.

Flicker happens, as I have said before. Just run it for a day or two wot. Repeat as necessary.

Still reading plenty of lumins off of a short throw 1.0 gain screen. 14+fl to eye after the math +/-

My spectrometer is old...
Nothing is perfect.
My Cadillac isn't 100%

The films look great.

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #3549 of 3551 Old 04-21-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Just cleaned the filter for the 7th time... 3500 + on the clock. Reset at three k to eliminate "replace lamp" message.

Flicker happens, as I have said before. Just run it for a day or two wot. Repeat as necessary.

Still reading plenty of lumins off of a short throw 1.0 gain screen. 14+fl to eye after the math +/-

My spectrometer is old...
Nothing is perfect.
My Cadillac isn't 100%

The films look great.

Doug k

Running it for a day or two on high does NOT fix the issue for many of us. It did initially, but not anymore. Within an hour of watching, it will flicker on low. So I just run high now, which is a bummer since I don't need the lumens.
post #3550 of 3551 Old 04-21-2015, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
"So I just run high now, which is a bummer since I don't need the lumens."

That IS a bummer. When you swap lamps, if it still happens, I'd give the Sony tech guys a try.

My situation may well be different than most. If I am going to possibly watch a bit of golf or something in the am, then know that the bride and I will be watching a film in the eve, I will leave the pj on. I know, I know...horrible waste of power listening to music with pj showing pandora or sirius whatever but it worked on the showroom floor for years and I just can not get myself to cycle the power too often. That may well be why my setup flickers less.

Who knows?

I did not mean to infer your case was less than important.

Doug
post #3551 of 3551 Unread Today, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I must have been one of the unlucky ones since my lamp popped at below 2000 hours and all this time I run it on low lamp mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page