Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #3571 of 3588 Old 07-08-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevini View Post
Mine did exactly this behavior. I ran on low for ~1500 hours and then the flickering started. I switched to high and the flickering stopped.

Once I switched the bulb I was able to switch back to low with no flicker.
OK that's positive! How many hours have you got on this new lamp? I'm curious if the issue ever returns once the bulb is broken in again for a number of hours.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3588 Old 07-20-2015, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a second hand Sony VPL-HW50ES projector to replace my Epson EH-TW8100 (5020 UB).

Just a quick comparison:
—————————————

The colours were more saturated and “pop” on the Epson, and the blacks looked more deep. I really liked the Epson, but i had to use it in high lamp mode and the fan noise was far too loud, because i placed the projector very close to our heads.

The Sony is dead silent, event in high lamp mode. The colours are less pop, but with the “reality creation” the image looks better and more natural to me.
It’s sharper, more detailed and the shadow details is amazing! Even a very dull picture movie or the darkest scenes look nice with the Sony. As i said the Epson had more inky blacks, but i prefer seeing more details in the dark areas.
I think the next step will be a 4K Sony later on.

So i am satisfied with the VPL-HW50ES, however i have a problem with the lens shift.
The horizontal doesn’t work at all, and the vertical is a kind of “jumping”.

Is there any way to fix those wheels with a home made solution? I haven’t removed the lid. I don't really know how to do that...

Thanks!

Last edited by kutizoltan83; 07-20-2015 at 02:21 AM.
post #3573 of 3588 Old 07-20-2015, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post
Is this projector still considered a good buy?

How would it hold up against the Epson 5030? I can get the Sony for about $3200 2nd hand here in NZ or am I best to pay an extra $500 and get the Epson 5030 brand new?
Please refer to my post. I was in the same boat (i had a Epson 5020 UB) and ungraded to the Sony which is better i think.

Last edited by kutizoltan83; 07-20-2015 at 05:13 AM.
post #3574 of 3588 Old 07-20-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 624
I'd take the HW50ES over the 5030 any day of the week.
post #3575 of 3588 Old 07-20-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Regarding the horizontal lens shift malfunction....as long as your placement of the pj is centered to the screen ( smack dab in the middle horizontally) you will be ok. Otherwise, you will be best served to have it repaired or gather a service manual and attempt a fix yourself.

Both vertical and horizontal controls are blotchy at best. One thing you might try is to apply lateral pressure to the horizontal control. Probably will not work but worth a try.

Calibrated, the Sony will provide outstanding results.

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #3576 of 3588 Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 AM

Luckily i can place my Sony in the middle of the room and the vertical lens shift works, so the horizontal is not a big problem at the moment.

Anyway i try to play around with the wheels. Thanks for your advise!

By the way whats the difference between the HW50ES and HW55ES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Regarding the horizontal lens shift malfunction....as long as your placement of the pj is centered to the screen ( smack dab in the middle horizontally) you will be ok. Otherwise, you will be best served to have it repaired or gather a service manual and attempt a fix yourself.

Both vertical and horizontal controls are blotchy at best. One thing you might try is to apply lateral pressure to the horizontal control. Probably will not work but worth a try.

Calibrated, the Sony will provide outstanding results.

Doug k
post #3577 of 3588 Old 08-13-2015, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWellSpent View Post
I never opened the box the bulb came in, so I didn't know it had a new filter. Good to know. I will do the replacement this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for the reply!
Hi,

Did the flicking issue gone in low mode after changing a new bulb?

Anthony Chan
ISF Level II
THX Home Theater I
post #3578 of 3588 Unread Yesterday, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I have a sony HW50ES that I bought in 2013 with a 3 year warranty and have been experiencing the same light flickering issues as well on low mode. My lamp now is at about 1400 hours. Is it worth sending to sony at all for warranty or just manage it by running the lamp on high for a while before switching back on low?
post #3579 of 3588 Unread Yesterday, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilas View Post
Hi,

I have a sony HW50ES that I bought in 2013 with a 3 year warranty and have been experiencing the same light flickering issues as well on low mode. My lamp now is at about 1400 hours. Is it worth sending to sony at all for warranty or just manage it by running the lamp on high for a while before switching back on low?
I'd just run the lamp in high and not worry about it/think about it.
post #3580 of 3588 Unread Today, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Is it a projector issue or a lamp/bulb end of life issue? Mine does the same thing now, bulb has 1700+ hours on it but been doing it for the last several 100 hours. I find if I start in game mode it flickers a lot, if I switch to TV mode (high lamp) for a couple minutes and then switch back to Game mode it is fixed for a while, but then will flicker again. Can high lamp be turned on while in Game Mode for example?
post #3581 of 3588 Unread Today, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
With all of the complaints about this particular issue, why isn't Sony issuing a recall?

This issue seems to be common enough that Sony really should offer to resolve the issue, otherwise everyone with the issue is forced to burn their lamps on high mode which costs extra money with lamp replacement.

Sony said that the lamp could be in high or low mode in the Owner's Manual, they didn't say you'd have to use high to avoid flickering.

Just to be clear, I don't have this issue (yet), but I have only around 600 hours on my first lamp and have had the projector for about 2 years.

Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Front Speakers - B&W CM9, Center - B&W CMC2, Surrounds - B&W CM5
SVS PB12+, SVS PB13 Ultra
post #3582 of 3588 Unread Today, 06:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilas View Post
Hi,

If running in high for a while, then switching back to low, solves the problem, then it is not a projector problem. It is just flat spots that have developed on the lamp electrodes. High mode burns them off.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
post #3583 of 3588 Unread Today, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
With all of the complaints about this particular issue, why isn't Sony issuing a recall?

This issue seems to be common enough that Sony really should offer to resolve the issue, otherwise everyone with the issue is forced to burn their lamps on high mode which costs extra money with lamp replacement.

Sony said that the lamp could be in high or low mode in the Owner's Manual, they didn't say you'd have to use high to avoid flickering.

Just to be clear, I don't have this issue (yet), but I have only around 600 hours on my first lamp and have had the projector for about 2 years.
This is not a projector issue. All UHP lamps can have this same problem, no matter what manufacturer we are talking about. You have to run in high lamp for more than a few minutes to burn the flat spots off the electrodes. It is part of the nature of a UHP lamp.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
post #3584 of 3588 Unread Today, 06:58 AM

With nearly 5000 hours on my original bulb, occasionally switching to high does not appear to decrease the longevity of the lamp.

Mike is spot on with his answer.

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #3585 of 3588 Unread Today, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

This is not a projector issue. All UHP lamps can have this same problem, no matter what manufacturer we are talking about. You have to run in high lamp for more than a few minutes to burn the flat spots off the electrodes. It is part of the nature of a UHP lamp.
Ok, I wasn't aware that it was an issue with UHP lamps. Forgive my ignorance, but do all projectors use UHP lamps?
post #3586 of 3588 Unread Today, 07:24 AM

Quote:
With nearly 5000 hours on my original bulb, occasionally switching to high does not appear to decrease the longevity of the lamp.

Doug k
That's a fair point. For some reason I was thinking you'd have to always use high lamp.
post #3587 of 3588 Unread Today, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Doug k
Thank you all for the responses. Doug, how did you manage to run your projector for so many hours? Doesn't the warning light show up asking you to change the lamp?
post #3588 of 3588 Unread Today, 10:50 AM

Sure, I got a warning at 3k hrs. or so. Simply told the PJ that I had replaced the bulb and no more warnings for a bit.

I have mentioned this before but will reiterate again.

1. Keep the filter clean. Every 500 hours.
2. Lamp life is shortened considerably with frequent power on/off cycles. If you are going to be viewing something on and off all day, just leave the PJ on. Sure it wastes a bit of juice but reduces frequent replacement of the bulb.
3. My theater room serves as a media center. My whole house 3 zone audio is in use lots as I have guests about regularly. If they desire to have a film or game playing plus listening to a music source outside or in the living room, having the PJ on allows them and me to check what is available on screen to every source. That is why the PJ is on a bunch.

I found from working at a higher end at store that I rarely changed bulbs on any of the 1/2 dozen pj's running in various rooms. I would turn them all on at 0900 and off at 2200 7 days a week. Keeping the filters clean was a once a month or so routine and I have that habit ingrained I guess.

Doug k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page