Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
post #3571 of 3576 Unread 07-08-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevini View Post
Mine did exactly this behavior. I ran on low for ~1500 hours and then the flickering started. I switched to high and the flickering stopped.

Once I switched the bulb I was able to switch back to low with no flicker.
OK that's positive! How many hours have you got on this new lamp? I'm curious if the issue ever returns once the bulb is broken in again for a number of hours.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3576 Unread Yesterday, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a second hand Sony VPL-HW50ES projector to replace my Epson EH-TW8100 (5020 UB).

Just a quick comparison:
—————————————

The colours were more saturated and “pop” on the Epson, and the blacks looked more deep. I really liked the Epson, but i had to use it in high lamp mode and the fan noise was far too loud, because i placed the projector very close to our heads.

The Sony is dead silent, event in high lamp mode. The colours are less pop, but with the “reality creation” the image looks better and more natural to me.
It’s sharper, more detailed and the shadow details is amazing! Even a very dull picture movie or the darkest scenes look nice with the Sony. As i said the Epson had more inky blacks, but i prefer seeing more details in the dark areas.
I think the next step will be a 4K Sony later on.

So i am satisfied with the VPL-HW50ES, however i have a problem with the lens shift.
The horizontal doesn’t work at all, and the vertical is a kind of “jumping”.

Is there any way to fix those wheels with a home made solution? I haven’t removed the lid. I don't really know how to do that...

Thanks!

Last edited by kutizoltan83; Yesterday at 02:21 AM.
post #3573 of 3576 Unread Yesterday, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post
Is this projector still considered a good buy?

How would it hold up against the Epson 5030? I can get the Sony for about $3200 2nd hand here in NZ or am I best to pay an extra $500 and get the Epson 5030 brand new?
Please refer to my post. I was in the same boat (i had a Epson 5020 UB) and ungraded to the Sony which is better i think.

Last edited by kutizoltan83; Yesterday at 05:13 AM.
post #3574 of 3576 Unread Yesterday, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 599
I'd take the HW50ES over the 5030 any day of the week.
post #3575 of 3576 Unread Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Regarding the horizontal lens shift malfunction....as long as your placement of the pj is centered to the screen ( smack dab in the middle horizontally) you will be ok. Otherwise, you will be best served to have it repaired or gather a service manual and attempt a fix yourself.

Both vertical and horizontal controls are blotchy at best. One thing you might try is to apply lateral pressure to the horizontal control. Probably will not work but worth a try.

Calibrated, the Sony will provide outstanding results.

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

post #3576 of 3576 Unread Today, 02:59 AM

Luckily i can place my Sony in the middle of the room and the vertical lens shift works, so the horizontal is not a big problem at the moment.

Anyway i try to play around with the wheels. Thanks for your advise!

By the way whats the difference between the HW50ES and HW55ES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post
Regarding the horizontal lens shift malfunction....as long as your placement of the pj is centered to the screen ( smack dab in the middle horizontally) you will be ok. Otherwise, you will be best served to have it repaired or gather a service manual and attempt a fix yourself.

Both vertical and horizontal controls are blotchy at best. One thing you might try is to apply lateral pressure to the horizontal control. Probably will not work but worth a try.

Calibrated, the Sony will provide outstanding results.

Doug k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector